Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies

"Tiki Mugs : Cult Artifacts Of Polynesian Pop"
Book Signing & Mug Event

Saturday, March 7, 2009. 6pm - 9pm
La Luz de Jesus Gallery
4633 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
323-666-7667 Fax: 323-663-0243

Hi folks, please join us at the legendary La Luz de Jesus Gallery for the much anticipated release and signing party for "Tiki Mugs : Cult Artifacts Of Polynesian Pop". Author Jay Strongman, Tiki Farm's Holden Westland and many mug makers will be on hand to sign the book. Tiki Farm will be unveiling some new limited edition Tiki mugs and we'll be serving up scrumptious Mai - Tais. More details soon....watch this space.

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 13, 2009 4:25 PM

Done deal!

La Luz!

Fatburger!

Books with minimal reading requirements!

Good times...

T

HellOOOO ? Don't forget Tiki Ti within walking distance.....

Fatburger....mmmmmm!

and Pioneer Chicken too.
sillys

Jeff(bigtikidude)

friggin FATBURGER!
sign me up!

S
squid posted on Sat, Feb 14, 2009 5:18 PM

On 2009-02-13 18:32, Coco Joe wrote:
and my house for drinks

Even better than Tiki Ti!!!

..nothin like stumblin' into cheetah's strip club across from la luz after an opening..is that place still there??

Put me on the list

TT

damn you people...
wish I could be there..

On 2009-02-14 21:47, Tiki Trav wrote:
damn you people...
wish I could be there..

We're glad you can't be; we want to enjoy ourselves

then i guess you better not show up either,Dave!
:)

M

Great... See you then. Congats Holden

Just a question - you are bringing a bunch of books to sell, too, yes? So we can buy them there and get them signed? :) Thanks!

La Luz De Jesus is a Book store and art Gallery.
So I am assuming they will have the Book there for sale.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C

On 2009-02-14 18:14, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..nothin like stumblin' into cheetah's strip club across from la luz after an opening..is that place still there??

That was a great punk rock dive club in the late 80s/early 90s called the Shamrock (back then).

Hi folks. Just wanted to add some images from the book and say that it would be great to make this night not just a book launch but also a celebration of the mug makers and their art. I'm hoping that a lot of the guys whose mugs are featured in the books will be able to attend and sign books too....anyway, I'll post more updates soon...Mahalo, Jay.

The Photos in this book look amazing.
who did them?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, we were real lucky in having some fantastic photographers work on the book. The great thing about all the photographers is that they are all big Tiki fans and collectors, so their love of the subject matter really shows in their work. All the individual credits are in the back of the book but I and the publishers owe a big thank you to the hardworking Jonpaul Balak, Dan Cevola, Duane Jones, Sven Kirsten, Martin Shaw, Nick Grant, David Dye, Greg Burmann, Martin McIntosh, Annene Kaye and all the mug artists who supplied photos of their creations.

Jay,
Thanks for the update.
It poses the question that I ask here, what mug artists are going to make it to the opening?
Hopefully this opening will be a unique opportunity to get a large portion of mug artists under one roof. I know I am looking forward to getting to interact with the artists and get some signatures, and hopefully meet a couple of them that i have only spoken to on here. I also look forward to getting a chance to actually read some passages, as the little preview at Tiki Ti a couple weeks back was a quick flip through.
We have company in town, but we will definitely get to the show for a bit. I want to take this spot to thank Jay for the monstrous amount of man hours and passion he put into this book, and his efforts to show what an interesting, varied and unique art form this is. I also want to thank Sven, Greg, Annene, and Jonesy for their beautiful photography and their efforts to make my stuff look good.
Hope to catch a lot of TCer's there and make with the conversation while waiting for the opportunity to get some signatures.
p.s. for fans of the Ghastly Ones mug put out by Tiki Farm, I spoke to Norman, AKA Baron Shivers (designer and sculptor of that mug) earlier today. He is going to try and make it to the release party early, but is hosting and the Ghastly Ones are playing at the Bordello that night, so it will be a quick stop if he can make it.

for the earliest scoop on new Ocea Otica works http://junkhaulersjunk.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-02-20 16:47 ]

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-02-20 16:53 ]

Just booked my flight. Sorry in advance if Im wasted.

Stuckie, goes without saying for me as well

Who made that Fez wearing baboon mug?

On 2009-02-20 15:14, Kon-Tiki Viking wrote:
Yes, we were real lucky in having some fantastic photographers work on the book. The great thing about all the photographers is that they are all big Tiki fans and collectors, so their love of the subject matter really shows in their work. All the individual credits are in the back of the book but I and the publishers owe a big thank you to the hardworking Jonpaul Balak, Dan Cevola, Duane Jones, Sven Kirsten, Martin Shaw, Nick Grant, David Dye, Greg Burmann, Martin McIntosh, Annene Kaye and all the mug artists who supplied photos of their creations.

Thanks for the info sir.
I will be there to get a book.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

so

I say meet at tiki ti at 4 pm.
go over to the event when it starts.

then some split to go to the Ghastly Ones show :wink:

and others head back over to the Tiki Ti.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-02-20 21:03 ]

LT

On 2009-02-20 19:49, stuckieshaft wrote:
Who made that Fez wearing baboon mug?

That's Babalu's work. You can see some progress shots in this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24647&forum=18&start=165

aye!

Is gonna be packed!!!

aye!

Cass and Miles, it's on! Jay the book is AMAZING! Loved it!!@! I am honored to have been included.

N
NOTCH posted on Sat, Feb 21, 2009 9:09 AM

I got the date marked of And I'm skipping work to go!
I can only imagine how much fun its going to be !!
Now if I could only get all the mug Artist to put there hand in my VISE!!!
AHHHHH!!!!huh. Anyway, its going to be great to hangout with all the artist and TCers at the show.
=Notch=

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2009-02-21 09:11 ]

B

Wow, I'm all giddy this morning for sure that one of my mugs made the cut to be included in this book. It truly, truly is an honor to have my work shown along side all of these heavy hitters.

I'm going to try my best to get up there for this book signing. It would be a hoot to hang with all of you guys.

JonesEy...your da BOMB! Nice shooting brother.

Congrats all see ya there!! Tiki Ti First? We have too...

GT

Front To Cover, Awesome! Very Well Done Jay! Thank you JonPaul Balak for doing my pictures, I enjoyed reading about all the artist, Including myself! Thanks again Jay for including Go Tiki, Cheers To You! Gogo

On 2009-02-21 16:21, Hiphipahula wrote:
Congrats all see ya there!! Tiki Ti First? We have too...

considering that the Tiki Ti opens at 4 pm now,
I think it would be silly to not meet up there before hand.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Looks like I'm scoring a ride with Notch, so I will be there and will be mucho inebriated(I finally get to go to Tiki Ti!).
I might also be bringing some stuff, so talk to me personally if yer interested. See ya there!

T

I'll be there! Can't wait to see the book! So far it looks amazing.

With copies reportedly about to ship out to Amazon, I've just got time to post a couple more images before people start seeing the real thing for themselves...Can't wait for Saturday...

I can't wait til Saturday either Jay !

Our room is reserved. We will hopefully be at Tiki Ti waiting...openopenopen. Can't wait for this!

ok here's the Itinerary for the evening.
:wink:
Pioneer chicken at 3:30
Tiki Ti at 4
La Luz de Jesus at 6
and Ghastly Ones at Bordello in downtown on 1st street at 10 pm.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

O

looks like umbrellas will be in order, today the extended forecast mentions a 50% chnace of rain on the 7th

CJ

Joe is that for the possible rain, or for the drinks at tiki ti before hand?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

All I know is that a trip to Tommy's is a must when I'm down there. Chili burgers rule!

O

Keep your eyes out on Saturday at the show as well because 3 other attendees and I will be walking around with one of my new, unseen mugs. Though they are all the same mug, the 4 mugs will all be different because they are being finished by 4 different artists, Notch, Tiki Kaimuki, Miles from Munktiki, and myself. Each artist will be sticking his own spin on the mug, and hand signing it as well. I do not want to give anything away, but its a departure from my usual style and think its really gonna bowl the crowds over. i am firing these tonight so i will know tomorrow if they are in the bag.

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 6:07 PM

EVENT UPDATES:

Trader Vic's will be supplying the Mai Tais for FREE - just remember to tip your server!

Link to event listing on Flavorpill by the awesome Tanja Laden:

http://flavorpill.com/losangeles/events/2009/3/7/tiki-mugs-cult-artifacts-of-polynesian-pop

Link to YouTube video of Holden and Jay discussing the book (sorry if this has already been posted, I just looked through posts and so much is going on here I literally forgot what I just saw...it is one of those days!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fooX8LTcxcI

Link to event press release on the LJP website:

http://leejosephpublicity.com/show/tikimugs

See you on Saturday - I'll DJing the Ghastly Ones event at Bordello after the signing event and need to get there in one piece so more Mai Tais for you :wink:

CJ

I was just in there today to see if the books where already available to ensure I get a couple copies before the mad dash on Saturday. The answer is no and won't be until mid day on Saturday.

They had a end cap set with some cheap mass produce tiki junk. Also there were people working on setting up the gallery which I'm uncertain if it was just for their usual art or for the book signing.

I'm looking forward to this! Especially since it's blocks away from me casa. I would invite people over for drinks but our home bar is still pending by my lazy arse.

It's on.

Are we there yet?

G

I will definitely be there.

Can't wait.

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies