Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - update

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

Kia ora All –

Tama V2.0! At Paipos suggestion Ill kick off this new thread with a bit of flagrant self-promotion; the TC Kiwi boys both picking up placements at NZs recent ‘12th Pounamu/Jade & Hard Stone Exhibition’ held bi-annually at a local gallery here on the Sth Islands’ West Coast. Thanks Ben and Pdrake for your kind messages of support!

Besides the overall ‘Premier Award’ winner, P’po was the undeniable star of the show with one of his ‘Hidden Charms’ series scooping top prize in the Adornment category. The concept and execution of the piece in question being a stroke of pure (evil) genius! Id love to tell you about it but feel its probably better coming from the man hisself.. Go on P, let them in.. :wink:

I was personally very happy to receive a Merit Award for one of my entries (pekapeka) which earned me a very sexy chunk of British Colombian nephrite and an excuse to sit with the judge of the show at dinner later. This to me was the real highlight, John Edgar being one of a legendary crew of pioneer studio stonecarver/sculptors in NZ. A truly inspiring guy to listen to, his speech for the evening revolving around the theme of communicating through the medium of stone, or as he put it, ‘teaching stones to talk’.
As well as picking up prizes, the pendants made by Paipo and myself were purchased by the host gallery to add to their permanent pounamu/jade collection; another huge honour.

*the posters will be for sale on eBay once show is finished.. :lol: Actually Im not even sure how many were printed, possibly just the one(?) Rest assured I will do my best to grab as many as I can. In the meantime heres a snippet from the catalogue:

Proof that Paipo and I are on the same page. Well, almost..

The original beachcomber..

Most of the opening night attendees have strong ties to the ‘jade community’, perhaps half of them carvers themselves. A few rising stars amongst the crowd.

“Id like to thank the Academy, my parents, etc..”

:)

The other piece I had entered was based on the Maori ‘re niho Paraoa’ or pierced whaletooth, the difference being that my ‘tooth’ was plucked from the jaws of a taniwha/sea monster..!

--

And to pad out pg1, heres a few from recent months:

Tiki-breastplate:

Double-sided Double Tiki:

Little trad hei-Tiki:

Little Moko'ed warrior:

Tangaroa - sorry Grog, this had been promised to a woman of Cook Islnd decent, a gift for her father. I guess this makes us even, you bstard.. :lol:

Latest side-hanger:

V2.0 off to a flying start. Keep the pressure on me..

Take care All!

Tama

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2010-04-27 03:22 ]

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2010-12-20 16:46 ]

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2012-04-02 03:40 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 16, 2009 1:42 PM

welcome back Hommie! Sweetz Stuffs!

J

Congratulations Tama! Those two pieces are certainly worthy of awards.

Just one bit of feedback ... don't ever make me scroll so far down your post to get to the "good stuff"! :wink: I was starting to think you'd forgotten all about my needs!

Well done, sir!

S

Yes a new posting and the GMAN is first to post again Dam!

Congrats well earned, top of the line as i always suspected.

Woohoo! You guys are legends!
Absolutely amazing work as usual T.
That pekapeka is breath taking.

L

Congratulation for award, worthy to my sense!!! Your work is astounding :o !!! The rei niha Taniwha are lacemaking on stone.

E

Thank you for sharing your masterpieces...every one is a breathless beauty...

BD

...............words just escape me. beautiful stuff and as always, t and the rest of the "stone cutters" out there have my deepest respect and amazement.

congratulations!

bd

B

Well Well, Great Happy news all around. Definitely a Great way to start up a new thread. Big Congratulations again for being recognized as good as we Knew you were from the start, it's about time those guys opened their eyes to the facts!
That Legendary "Box of 80" has held these winners for quite awhile and we have seen progress on them both at one time or another and I guess it's good that you still had them in the box, available for last minute finishing and dazzling entry into the show. I know how it is when you need something really fast, you look through your box for the best stuff that needs the least work that you can finish up and get out the door. Good thing the box was there.
You Know we have missed your posts a lot and now that you have a new thread started we will expect a Regular entry every day! :o Anyway just know that we are Proud of your new accomplishments and honors.
HappyHappyHappy

oh MY GOD! Lookee all that BEEE-u-tifulness! Love the moko warrier, love the marq, love it all.
You and Paips on the same page? Ha, who's the better surfer though?!
...and that chunk of rock! AHHHHH

B

OH Yeah, Almost forgot, If you can PULEEEZE get a poster for me and I'd
Love to have it signed! :) :D :lol

:o KUDOS...KIWI KOBBLERS KICKA$$!!! :o

Congrats T & P on your significant accolades! TC is truly blessed having such upstanding and certifiable stoners amongst our creative clan!!

:tiki: HAKA HAKA HAKA! :tiki:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2009-02-17 18:42 ]

Congratulation, your work is amazing!!!

H

Congratulations your work is always great.

This is a well deserved treat for two of TC best stoners! The creativity and dedication to detail you both have has truly paid off. I feel good to know that "I knew them when..."

Congrats!!

T

cheers! extrodanary work, just ( speechless)!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your well deserved recognition, the both of you have been blowin our minds for quite a while.

Tama and Paipo....
Hear! Hear!
Some well-deserved
long-awaited props to the both of you!

Hi Tama, congratulations! Really great and inspiring pieces!

A

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 19, 2009 1:09 AM

Awesome work guys, and congrats on your acheivements! :D But we didnt need some fancy judge to tell us that both of you guys make exquisite art!

M

Congratulations!
Your latest side-hanger is sooo cute, looks like he's snickering or yawning or being ashamed...or maybe all combined. Very happy looking piece, great vibes. And the tooth...holy crap...this must have taken forever to carve. Nice mix of styles.

Big Congratulations to Both of ya!
That is so Coool. looks like a fun time!

Tama, awsome pieces! The Taniwha is incredible!!
the little pieces are really cool too, i like the Tangaroa and the Moko dude alot!

Great stuff! Great Achievments too~!

Tama, big congrats for the deserved recognition!

Your work is top notch and musuem quality!

The latest Tangaroa is wonderful... a labor of love!

B

Bumpers

O

Congrats on the recognition. Your work is absolutely stunning!

T - absolutely AMAZING work. Congrats on the recognition as well - you and Paipo do really fine work and it's about time the world took notice. You new zealanders are too cool.

If I had to choose my fave...I think it would be the "tooth". The end result is amazing, but I could see that getting a bit tedious to carve at times! Well done amigo!!!

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Mar 7, 2009 8:27 PM

Wowsers! Well deseved, Tama and Paipo!
Rock Star level work as usual!

Bowie

B

BUMP

B

J heard you were getting ready to post something here?

On 2009-04-14 15:52, Benzart wrote:

*It must be true, I heard that too.. (not long now) :wink:

Still around. Thanks for the bump Ben!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 15, 2009 4:51 AM

Tama! :where you bean:

-Gman

On 2009-04-14 15:52, Benzart wrote:

Kia ora All!

Yes, its been a while since I was last here apologizing for my absence. Hows everyone doing? As usual things are hectic but fun-filled in Tamas’ household; kids and animals everywhere and an acre of desert that is slowly regenerating back into jungle. Amongst it all, a few veges are grown and a few Tikis are born..

Massive thanks to those of you who visit and comment on my work. My apology is really for you for not replying sooner. I do appreciate all your support and only wish I had more time to hang out and play.. Aue!

Big thanX: Gman, BenZ, JenZ, Seeks, Gcarvings, laojia, Elly, Bdaddy, Surfin’, BenZ againZ, Tjones, Tahitiki, Aloha, tikibad, Grapa, LLKinny, QueenK, Hewey, MarkusK, Duddy, Lake, BenZ of course, O’otica, P’nesiac, B’wana, notting forgetting BenZ, or BenZ, and my man G again!

As Paipo mentioned, he and I along with a number of other jade carver friends have recently started nightclasses in rakau-whakairo/woodcarving under the tuition of a well respected local carver (dare I say Tohunga-whakairo/Master carver..?). I too have redoubled my admiration of you chizzlers – only about a billion times more difficult than stone grinding in my opinion!! RESPEC’! I think working so small has me handicapped in terms of ever attempting any 8”ers, but I can see myself pursuing woodcarving in a small way, if you know what I mean. Wont be posting any woodie-pics until Ive got something decent to show.. :wink:

TIKIS!!!

In approximate chronological order, from the past few months..

Wahine with traditional lip, chin and forehead moko.

Similar form, only male.

Large Tekoteko-type figure.

A pendant based on the jabbing-end of a Maori taiaha.

Wide-eyed worrier(?)

Wide-legged wahine(!)

An Austral Island-type figure. *Now residing with a friend of mine in California. Keep an eye out for this piece and if you see the buggah, ask him if he’s carved anything yet?! (my man has designs in his blood but cant take that first step.. shame) :wink:

BIG wahine in very dark stone. seriously

A replica Neolithic/stone-carved pekapeka from the same stone as above; carved with my usual tools but keeping the old techniques in mind in order to create a more realistic result. The toggle is also a traditional gull wing-bone and the cord plaited from hemp to resemble muka/flax fibre.

And a smaller pekapeka (actually a side-hanging manaia but it would be open to debate) also carved with the old ways in mind.

Koruru ‘mask’ with NZ mussel shell inlays in the eyes.

Some of you may remember the little ‘triangular’ Tiki started aaaaaages ago? Well he has been hanging around my neck for many months. As he was never sent to market there were never any photos taken but he was recently gifted to a friend and so snapped a few pics before saying goodbye.. Aue again!

And finally, the one that has been plaguing me for the past week: inspired by looking through zillions of pictures of woodcarvings recently (and frustrated in the knowledge that I cant yet do anything remotely like it in wood), I couldn’t help but start a poupou-panel (large Ancestor-figures adorning the interior of wharenui/carved house). Turning into a bit of an epic effort..

phew!

Love ya's! :)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 9, 2009 6:48 PM

Oh my! Please gift me that Tekoteko guy :as if: Oh I love it.

-G$

B

Tama, WOW, Who visited you and taught you all this Incredible stuff in the last few months?
Honestly I've Never seen such a group of Really Perfect pieces from you. Your tight, crisp details have gotten Way out of hand and as I'm scrolling down the page they are getting better and better and even better. You definitely put some more "Stuff" into these guys than was your "Normal" a few months ago!
The look is Definitely more powerful

"Wahine with traditional lip" Could be for the chief himself

Another Perfect carve excellent in every way:

Then there's this Teko teko guy, Awesome and PERFECT!

(Now the drool starts flowing in earnest)

THen you blow us away with this Corageous guy sitting atop the most Beautiful piece of jade I've ever seen I think. (Drool getting uncontrollable now.)

Then you bring us the Wide Eyed Warrior and the Wide legged Wahine in 2 more Incredible pieces of stone

(I'm Swimming now!!)
Could it get better? The next Austral Island type figure looks small but how did you get it so sharp with the detail and realism
Just LOOK at this guy and then you give us the character shot?
and then you even have more (Can't stand much more!
Heres the shot that looks like it was "Borrowed" from the Big Museum, Holy Cow,%^&$#*%

And now I'm On the floor it hurts so GOOD here is the "Big Wahine in very dark stone. seriously"

And Seriously If I wasn't Married I would ask for her hand but I think her father is an Alien and would have said no!

By now I'm totally drained from seeing this beauty and lusting after every piece even though there are more I can't Bear to look, but I Peek anyway and scan through the lot to see If I'll be alive by the time I get to the end and decide to go straight to the last one , just to save my health mind you but this last one (good thing he is Unfinished or elsi I would be finished'
This one I Must see completed before long. I see where some of this beuaty is coming from I see the wheels working I seethe frustration but the outcome is going to be Totally Spectacular Tama, Totally mind blowing.
Awesome Stuff SIR I want them All

I am Thrilled you are loving your wood carving course so much. It seems you and Paipo were Very fortunate to get this class and fortunate he lives so close at least to Paips. Don't worry about getting this small detail onto larger pieces, as you will see before long that All this fine Minute detail you are so adept at will Actually Help you in the detail on larger wood pieces. For me When I waas doing large pieces it was always difficult to make all the stuff fit onto that 3 foot head. When I got int o the Micro carving it Immediately made the big stuff easier to do and actually helped me do More detail so you'll see, just keep Chipping Away.
MAybe I have a few Chisels up for trade, Not sure?? Hint hint?

Honestly, Beautiful stuff and Oh by the way , About time you cane back and posted some stuff. :o
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

B

I must pinch myself to make sure I'm still here and not dreaming!

Holy crap this guy is cool.

Your a carver now too? Love it! cant wait to see some wood goodies from ya.

BD

all i can saw is holy shite!! you are the man. everyone of those pieces rock and i can't wait to see the one giving you trouble. he seems to be coming along great.

bd

L

Your a carver now too? Love it! cant wait to see some wood goodies from ya.

ME TOOO!

Very impressive work, I stay without breath when I see your work!

J.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 10, 2009 3:13 AM

Heh, I think maybe we should have kept quiet about the whole Whakairo thing til we had some stuff to show - shouldn't be too long though eh? (Unless you're still thinking of doing that full pare!) Obviously I need to visit more or get on the mailing list cause there's quite a few of those guys I never got to see in person.

Aside from the stellar lineup of new green-ness, I think congratulations are in order for your other recent achievement:

On 2009-05-01 17:46, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Okay, actually here's the top contributors:
0. Bay Park Buzzy with 6,545 images

1. little lost tiki with 4,301 images
  2. Ojaitimo with 3,204 images
  3. bigbrotiki with 3,126 images
  4. WooHooWahine with 2,642 images
  5. Benzart with 2,418 images
  6. Tamapoutini with 2,399 images
  7. Psycho Tiki D with 2,144 images
  8. Babalu with 1,865 images
  9. hodadhank with 1,351 images

I want to give a big mahalo to everyone! This topic isn't a "shame on you" post at all, I think it's really fantastic that people are sharing like this.

I do believe this last post would probably put you up into 6th place? (Sorry Ben :( )
Not bad for a guy who only posts every couple of months! :lol:

J

Wow! (Picks jaw off keyboard) That is too much goodies at one time.

Your photography is excellent.

J

Amazing stuff, Tama! They're all quite beautiful, but I must say, this is my favorite of the bunch:

So traditional, yet still so Tama!

Don't stay gone so long!!

It's insanity that such perfectness can be achieved! They are SO yummy.

B

Tama,

WOW! You Sir have been busy...unbelievable!

There must be something in the water down there cause NZ just rocks this house to no end.

I read that you and Paipo are playing with some wood now too. It will be like carving in butter for you fellas. I do hope at some point you guys play with combining the stone and the wood; I can never get enough of mixed media works.

Lay off the Crack,Tama!
You're producing waaaaaay too much great work!
"Worrier"nails it! Big smiles there!

B

Well Congrats for moving into 6th place overall for photos posted.
"I do believe this last post would probably put you up into 6th place? (Sorry Ben )
Not bad for a guy who only posts every couple of months!
_________________"
It's OK Piapo, I'll ketchup when I get back to work. But That is a LOT of piccies, and unlike mine most are for a single item. Well done T3, now get back to work and set your sights on 5th.

Your works are truly amazing. I have to pull my tong back in now.

B

HAd to come vizit these guys again Tama, Plus bump you up for some Wood pictures coming soon I hope ? :o

Tama, you are unbelievable! Are you really gonna carve up some wood?

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies