Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - update

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 25, 2009 7:44 PM

Awesome work as always Tama. I love the Koruru ‘mask’, thats my fave, great lines on it

hey, Tama- sorry it's been so long- what a bunch of beautiful works!!! so good to just scroll through your thread and let the awesomeness flow over me! you'll do just fine with the wood. take care, man.

B

Just a bump looking or more progress on this guy.
I know that last post wore you out but you should be recovered by now?
:lol:

well, it's been too long since i've been through your thread. these 2 might be my alltime faves.

i've been staring at the teko teko for quite awhile now. absolutely beautiful!

B

Saw one of Tama's Wood carvings somewhere online and thought I would post it here for everyone to see.
NOT, Sorry about that I can't post someone elses work but it was Very nice .

Tama,Where are you?

wow... JUST WOW.

:D nice poupou

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 29, 2009 5:58 PM

Tama,

Bring forth the woodie wurks! C'mon man......

On 2009-06-08 09:32, Benzart wrote:

Just a bump looking or more progress on this guy.
I know that last post wore you out but you should be recovered by now?
:lol:

zzzzzz* wha? oh sorry, still recovering.. :wink: Yes, the Poupou-Pounamu was finished some time back and a couple of others produced since then. See below

Kia Ora All! Long time, no TC. The usual apologies and thanks from me:

G$: one humble chizzled effort to follow, but just a snapshot. Ive tackled 2-3 projects so far but will wait until Im impressed with my own efforts before showing too much. These first steps are admittedly a bit scary and embarrassing.. :lol: Bought myself a wide range of chisels, a pouch, sharpening stones etc. Still need a decent bench and/or a few more clamps but will make do if/when any projects are started in the meantime.

BenZ: these guys can all thank you for getting me back here. Just received my copy of Tiki Magazine signed and feat. the legendary BenZart himself! Its really special seeing the Moko'd Moai in there, along with many others, and remembering 'being there' for the carving/progressions via TC. As well as the promise to join FaceBook I hearby solemnly swear to snap a few more progress pics of work as well - damn you and your thoughtfulness and generosity! :lol:

Cheers T'Mec, B'Daddy, laojia, JP, Jen, Surfin', Babs, LLT, Seeks, TFreak1, Hewey, GTP, Bullet, PalmCity & Rainhawk!

P'po: Man, I was amazed to see that stat. board! Thanks for pointing it out. Probably slipped off the bottom by now, but the following may help..? Loved your recent Easter Isld works, top shelf! Trust you to find a perfect use for the obsidian, nicely executed mate.

Spring is almost upon us down here in Aotearoa, which means even more rain than usual in the rainforest where Paipo and I live. It can be kind of gloomy when it doesnt stop for days at a time but its good for the Tikis as I always say:

Once again in roughly chronological order:

Poupou nearing completion:

Poupou-Pounamu:

Small trad. heiTiki: the stone used for this piece was recovered from an old jade 'dump' discovered whilst digging holes for a fencepost at a friends house :D

Wheku 'mask':

Contemporary Pekapeka:

Taiaha 'head' pendant:

Kapeu/teething stone pendant (also traditionally worn as ear pendant):

Small trad heiTiki made from a beautiful olive coloured Marsden stone (Tipua, if you are still around, I havent forgotten):

Another Wheku/head type pendant:

The original Tiki-Toki: :wink:

A large wahine carved from dark pounamu sourced from the historically significant Arahura River. This important Awa/river has been visited for many hundreds of years by the Maori in search of pounamu.
'Waitaiki' (the woman turned to stone by Poutini)

Contemporary heiTiki, bodytype based on wooden figures:

Teeny-tiny-Toki/Teko-type-taonga..

Another little trad (getting out of sequence here I think, doh?):

HeiTiki-Tane:

Large heiTiki from dark Marsden stone:

Large heiMatau (stylised fish hook pendant). Yep, definately out of sequence..

Another large contemporary piece, with a few details inspired by a local woodcarvers work:

'Toaiti' mkIII:

'Ariki':

'heiTiki' (Macrocarpa):

'First Tiki-Bite' 2009:

--

--

See you on FaceBook! :wink:

Wow.
Conga speechless, now that's what I call an UPDATE.
All...beautiful.

About time you showed back up. Excellent stuff as usual. Plus wood! Your making the rest of us woodies look bad. :) That's not a bite that was a warning!

H
Heath posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 6:33 PM

That's it?

slacker.

:P

Can definitely see the wood carving influence coming through in the jade work.
And the wood carving... uh, wow. :o

J

As I scrolled through your recent pieces, I felt myself getting sad and disappointed, as they seemed to be missing something. :( But(t) then finally you posted a few that looked complete! :wink: Nice work, Tama!

Wow! So much goodness in your post... don't know what to comment on. All perfect pieces!

B

Hi Tama,

Excellent update with amazing wonderful stuff. I can't believe my eyes !

The wood Hei Tiki is simply outstandingly awesome, who was your teacher ? Roi Toia ? That's what I call perfection. What size ?

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

L

Hey Tama! You're the cornucopia of pounamu carving!!! :) My eyes are too filled for this day!!!

Poupou-Pounamu: :o

Incredible details! love so much the manaia ears, very beautiful piece!

So small, so great!!! :D

Teeny-tiny-Toki/Teko-type-taonga..

Damn crazy carving! can't believe it! :o

'heiTiki' (Macrocarpa): :D :D :D

So happy to see your wood carving!! Full of question shoving on my keyboard... What's the size? What's this kind of wood? Are you going to do an inlay for the eyes? And what's for the finishing? I'll wait two months for answers? :roll:

J.

F

Tama
Now thats more like it. Stunning as usual. I particularly like the Wood.
Regards
Flynny

B

Tama, Welcome to Tiki Central, I'm quite sure you will fit right in here again. So happyhappyhappy to see you updating all those pieces left hanging for so long. I really love them all and Especially your Little people, they look so real I'm Green with envy.

It only took me an hour to go through your post, just Incredible pieces as usual. Looking forward to more updates and More Woodies too. I think some wood carvers are trembling a wee bit. Thanks for posting again.
Happy HAPPY Happy

Tama glad your back my friend!!!You one incredably talented person!Aloha , Mooney

Cheers Conga, Mango, Flynny, BenZ and Mooney!

Aloha: thats practically the sum total of my chizling experience - not even close to making anybody look bad yet, but thanks for the props!

Heath: pick up the pace you reckon? right, youre on.. :wink:

JenZ: something for everyone.. :lol:

B'nella: Yeah me and Roi are good mates, I taught him a few things too (joke). Actually, (Paipo and) I had some tuition from a well respected local Maori carver but this piece was actually started before our time with him. Id started this all with one or flat chisels and had reached a point where I could go no further. Little did I realise at the time, but what I really needed was a few more chisels that could tackle curves and surface decoration. Scored myself a basic kit now and am just waiting for the right piece of wood to come along.. *50cm (20") was the height of this heiTiki.

Laojia: thanks! as above, 50cm height. I considered adding inlays but decided against it in the end, perhaps wishing to let the wood do the speaking on this first effort in the material. It was finished with two coats of boiled linseed oil which really seem to bring out a golden glow. The other carving I have 99% completed has been stained dark brown, which is nice but totally changes the feel from the wood I worked on.

Keep up the good work everyone,

C

gorgeous new ones, and i'm loving the wood one, I think it does speak on his own like it is, i really dig what he has to say, your jade work is so extremely perfect, I think the wood one is adding a sense of been more vulnerable and warm to the perfect carve.. I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say... maybe that I think your work is getting even reacher and I'm glad. very nice!

Tama,

Welcome back!

Always a pleasure to view your spectacular work!

But this new work posted is really something special!

Even tighter than ever and packed with a ton of detail!

And what you brought out of the wood piece... incredible!

Some serious power running through you these days, and it is bringing out some beautiful work.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-09-23 00:50 ]

L

BUMP too!

more than two months...

I have to say that the Manaia ears are a stroke of genius, both in concept AND in execution. You is the carving togunga.

Aloha!

Marcus

Thanks for the bump Laojia and for the comps Aweulekuula! I do have a few piccies of recent work and will make an effort to post an update soon.

:)

P

i've missed you man. seriously.

i don't think i need to tell you how nice your work is. i wish i could sit around and watch you work.

L

On 2009-12-17 20:25, Tamapoutini wrote:
I do have a few piccies of recent work and will make an effort to post an update soon.

An update from your work will a nice Xmas présent for us! :D :wink: :D

B

Greetings/ Kia Ora Tama, Nice to hear from you, Your farming duties keeping you away? :P Send over a box of that Zucchini?

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 6:16 AM

slacker

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 9:39 AM

Yes, we're missing our New Zealanders. GROG search everywhere.

Kia ora All -

Managed to find a little time between mowing lawns and eating potatoes for a final update for 2009..

Perry: I recently spotted you on FB, will 'befriend' you soon (although Im already neglecting FB like TC..)

Laojia: Merry Christmas!

BenZ: you can have as many zucchini as you like; cant eat them fast enough and if you miss picking one, it turns into a marrow overnight! :o

G: another year ahead, time to refocus and move on with the adventure (never a slacker, me) :)

Grog: (kiwis are nocturnal) :wink:

Oct - Dec 09

Toki Tekoteko. prog

Toki Tekoteko:

Traditionally-styled heiTiki, made from the much prized, Marsden 'flower jade':

Large Manaia pendant: I was really happy with this piece. Not the best stone in the world but awesome colour and the flawing suited the design.

Side-hanging wahine:

Another stright-forward contemp/trad heiTiki. Mother-of-pearl inlays:

Large contemporary Pekapeka (prog). Loosely based on traditional design but a swept up modern version.

Contemporary Pekapeka:

Large breastplate, lower detail loosely based on early Southern Maori whaleteeth motif:

Contemporary Manaia. A family commission that was gifted to my Aunty:

'Tangata-Manu':

The last teeny-tiny for 2009:

And my most recent piece, a large trad-styled Pekapeka. Made with modern tools but very much approached in neolithic fashion. The main difference is that the internal holes were found by wearing away from each side to meet in the middle, whereas I would normally drill parallel-sided (silhouette) holes and then flare out. A very satisfying way to work and still very controllable in terms of keeping design on track.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas & wish all good health/happiness for 2010!

H
Heath posted on Mon, Dec 28, 2009 9:26 PM

Definitely some beautiful pieces there.

Happy new year!

Tama,

Felt good drinking in that update!

Wonderful creations as always!

Your work is that of precision and great care.

All the best to you in the coming New Year, may you continue to find the inspiration to create and express yourself!

WOWZA TAMA!
when it rains
it pours!
those contemporary peka-pekas and manaias
are SUPURB!
such elegance
and sexy lines!
KUDOS!
and merry Christmas!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Dec 29, 2009 10:42 AM

Yay!!

L
laojia posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 1:53 AM

Stunning work!!! Thank's for the gift Andy!
My favorite is the first piece, I like the sound of "toki tekoteko", as a carillon...
The different style of Pekapeka are beautiful and very créative...

Congrats and best wishes full of green stone for 2010!

J.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 3, 2010 8:25 AM

Holy Hell! Sweeeeeet!

E2

very good job !!!!!

All amazing work! I enjoy the subtle upward curve of your contemporary pekapeka, and that breastplate! Wow, that's gotta have some heft to it.

R

Dude you have arrived :D

B

HOLY MOLY Andy,, Turn my back one minute and you post a book full of saved up Treasures. Beautiful stuff, I'm happy to see you still maintain that edge over the rest of the fleet!

I was kidding about the Zucchini stuff, you can have it all I HATE it for some reason. Must be from farming it with my dad one year, Zucchini, Squash and pole beans coming out our ears. Oh and did I mention Chickkkenz Hate the darn things they were Everywhere!.
Clad you came by for a vizit, hope your holidays were fine.
See'ya

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 4, 2010 8:23 AM

You said Chikkinz! :)

T

On 2009-12-28 20:27, Tamapoutini wrote:
Toki Tekoteko:

Cool. Very Cool.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 10:47 AM

Just because Paipo is moving and hasn't posted anything for awhile, doesn't mean you have to stop posting too.

New Zealanders represent!

L
laojia posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 8:32 AM

Are you dreaming Grog? Tama make an update per month otherwise he must posted every day a wonderful pieces... :roll: And if he does that I stop carving for watching this thread, drooling all the day ... :P

J.

Whoa, Kiwis are representin'. Me likes & goin' nuttz over the stones.

On 2010-02-08 08:32, laojia wrote:
Are you dreaming Grog? Tama make an update per month otherwise he must posted every day a wonderful pieces... :roll: And if he does that I stop carving for watching this thread, drooling all the day ... :P

J.

*Thanks for watching my back Laojia! Its true I dont come out and play as much as I used to & I apologise to all about this. The fact is, there just arent enough hours to run daily updates & the best I can manage is to squirrel photos away for those monthly monster-posts (got another 10 pieces to show soon :wink:

Believe it or not, I actually stop by TC almost everyday - been the full circle and am back to 'lurking'.. lol

L
laojia posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 1:46 PM

On 2010-02-09 12:22, Tamapoutini wrote:

got another 10 pieces to show soon :wink:

:D :D :D YEAH!!!! :D :D :D

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies