Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Disneyland Collectibles and Collections other than Tiki

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

TS

My girlfriend and I went to the Shag Haunted Mansion artwork show on Sunday to see what was leftover from the night before Special Event/Shag Cocktail Party. Pretty surprised to see a couple things still left over. She wound up buying two sets of the 40th Anniversary postcard tin collection(14 5x7 postcards), a Limited Edition cookie jar in the shape of an urn(pretty big!), a hatbox with Limited Edition Mickey Ears hat designed by Shag, and a deluxe print("a swinging wake").
The spontaneous buys were the cookie jar and hat, because they were done so much better than I had thought they would be. The one glicee that slipped through our hands was "A Dismaying Observation". The colors were INCREDIBLE, and by far our favorite piece of artwork. We didn't have the $480 to spend on it, but had we, it would have came home with us! I wish they had made a $35 deluxe print of it! My girlfriend has the collection of HM stuff, so the pieces she bought will look nice in her room.

AND then, we rode the Haunted Mansion ride... twice...Because I think I spotted a sneak peek of the Hatbox Ghost, and the rumors of his return might not be far off. He was "hidden" in a no light area across from the bride deep amonst the junk trunks and burried behind the headless photos. Boxes were stacked around him to hide him even more so in the darkened area. They must have him staged there during business hours, and pull him out at night for testing. If you notice the area directly across fro the bride has a big empty path. The hatbox is behind that lurking in the dark, waiting for his new home(I think!) It was soo dark, i could be wrong, but i saw the shapes/silouette of a stovepipe hat and hatbox floating in front of where the face would be. All in all, a good day...

The image of the Limited Edition of 200 Glicee that I drooled over:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-08-11 17:40 ]

Tom
You lucky dog you. That hat box (and hat) is pan-ultimately cool. And so is the rest of the goodies you picked up. Green w/envy.

Haha, thanks Dr...Actually, it is my girlfriend who is lucky...The Ears hat is pretty cool, and I really dislike Disney hats. The two images in the ears are actually lenticular, and they change, kinda like the hallway portraits. The lines are a black flocked design, and it has embroidered images placed randomly. Also has a metal commerative pin in front. The lining of the hatbox is a purple(or is it green, I cant recall?) fluffed satin. I'll be sure to pass the compliments to her tho! :D

L

I think Shag really nailed the Haunted Mansion images.

I want that same print too Tom...its my fav!

I too really enjoyed the Shag HM day Aug. 9th! I didn't even have to wait in line to get the items I wanted thank god! I just walked up around 1:00pm or so when the line had finally subsided and walked right in. I got the HM Shag Aloha shirt, decanter, 4 glasses, tray, coasters, postcard set, lunchbag, and the cookie jar urn. Shag really put his own unique spin on the HM!

Got most of the stuff out of boxes. Got the blue boy toad print and the TomorrowLand Rocket at the Disneyland art gallery back in '95. Got one of the last prints of Toadie they were going to sell. This one was 237 of 500. The lady said the final 10 were going into offices of Dept. heads at the Disney studio.
The other Hench of Toad Hall with Badger, Ratty and Mole I got at the Disney store in Anaheim summer of 2000. The Dopey print was one of the ones they replaced from the rooms at the Disneyland Hotel back in 1999, I think. They put them up on ebay and I got this one. I was actually going for one of the Jungle cruise but I got way outbid by a fellow fanatic.

I love the TWA Rocket!Nice toad stuff as well!

Thanks! Yeah, I got a thing about Rockets, especially that one. It's the classic image.

TS

Ok...It has been a while since anyone including myself has posted here, and I know for me at least, its been because of harsh economic reasons. Anyhow This thread is movin' on up, thanks to Leleliz firstly, and secondly a random auction I had happened to come across!
First up, Liz sent me a couple of killer vintage ashtrays from Disneyland. I'm guessing ca. mid 60s to mid 70s. And she also found a vintage "Milk Glass" Mug(early 80s), with my name on it! All three items are in fantastic condition, including the gold accents! I can't say it enough....Thank you Liz for thinking of me!

Secondly, I forgot what I was looking up at the time(I'm a Fricken Google addict!), but I stumbled upon a huge Ward Kimball auction liquidation from his estate. If you do not know who Ward is/was, let me be brief, as you can always google it later.

Ward Kimball was one of Walt's original 9 old men team. He was a tremendously talented gentleman, and one of the few Imagineers that was ever given a public compliment by Walt Disney himself. Walt called him a Genius, which apparently surprised people by his flattering compliment of Ward.
Ward Kimball was a keen Draftsman, an excellent artist(He created some of Walt's most famous characters such as the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland,Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio, the not-so-P.C. crows from Dumbo, and many, MANY others, including the Disney in Space programs. He was also a trombone player for the band he founded, the FireHouse Five + 2, which was a jazzy-new orleans type band, and was mostly composed of other animators. The band actually toured different Southern California venues as well as performed weekend stints inside Disneyland. They had also released several albums.
Kimball was a huge inspiration to Walt because of Ward's love and curiosity for travel, namely by way of the Train. Ward had a full sized narrow gauge Steam powered train set up in his backyard in San Gabriel, what he called Grizzly Flats RR. His home sat on approximately 5 acres(?) at the time, and it was surrounded by orange farms. Walt was so fascinated by Wards knowledge of operating and repairing full sized steam trains that Walt decided he wanted one to circle his park, that had not yet been built. As you can assume, Ward was Walt's Advisor and go-to guy on this and even in the Casey Jr. Cartoon. Ward almost single handedly illustrated and or advised most of the cartoon trains in Walt's studio.

So anyhow, Betty Kimball just had another smaller auction with mostly paper collectibles recently. I wound up bidding and winning a couple items.

First was a letter with photos, apparently someone soliciting Wards knowledge of a 1904 wind up train, and seeing if he might be interested in purchasing it. Ward Kimball not only had full sized trains, but he had a custom built room to house his antique toy train collection, probably one of the most extensive and largest in the world, at the time.

It came with the letter addressed to Ward, the 15-20 photos of the train set, with notes jotted on the back of each photo, sealed in a little makeshift cardboard holder that reads "Marklin O-gauge train and accessories" (A deal that fell through)

Above is a certificate of authenticity/verification signed in pen by Betty Kimball, bless her heart!
It's a small piece of Ward Kimball, and his passion for trains, who is directly connected to Disneyland forever. That is why the Ward Kimball items are being posted here.

Secondly, and a little more oddball, were two posters sent to Ward from Knott's Berry Farm promoting; what I think is one of Knott's finest later added attractions, Mystery Lodge.

The poster above in the Pacific Northwest theme is on some kind of natural type paper, not the usual poster paper.

The posters were sent from the outside vendor and founder who created Mystery Lodge for Knott's Berry Farm. The company is still doing business and have installed all kinds of amusements and attractions at different themeparks around the world. Posters also came with the letter sent to Ward telling him about the opening, and if he'd like to see it in person to contact Bob Rodgers, the writer of the letter, and founder of the company.

Overall, some cool way to start off 2010, thanks to Liz and the discovery of the auction. Without disclosing the actual prices I paid, the 2 auction group items cost me less than a weeks lunch, for both.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-01-09 02:05 ]

TS

Oh, if you have a half hour to kill and want to learn a little about Ward Kimball...Here are 3 videos that will explain alot in a little amount of time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFhQQ9D15w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO8-XKNhpko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1XeXUROqP4&feature=related

TS

My girl "hooked" me up for Valentines Day....We have been at the Park and for the last 2 years or so, I've had my eye on this clever piece. Only problem was that Disney wanted $250 for the sculpt, which was too rich for my collection. Well we went out shopping Saturday and found it Brand New in Box for $45! Now its on its way to be displayed on my Pirates of the Caribbean attraction shelf! This is by far, my favorite pirate within the whole ride! Unfortunately he was replaced by a less comical and very bland Barbossa during the Movie update. This is Limited production, not Limited Edition which are usually numbered, and is made of porcelain. About 11 inches tall. I am stoked!

CJ

On 2010-01-09 01:46, Tom Slick wrote:
Ok...It has been a while since anyone including myself has posted here, and I know for me at least, its been because of harsh economic reasons. Anyhow This thread is movin' on up, thanks to Leleliz firstly, and secondly a random auction I had happened to come across!
First up, Liz sent me a couple of killer vintage ashtrays from Disneyland. I'm guessing ca. mid 60s to mid 70s. And she also found a vintage "Milk Glass" Mug(early 80s), with my name on it! All three items are in fantastic condition, including the gold accents! I can't say it enough....Thank you Liz for thinking of me!

Secondly, I forgot what I was looking up at the time(I'm a Fricken Google addict!), but I stumbled upon a huge Ward Kimball auction liquidation from his estate. If you do not know who Ward is/was, let me be brief, as you can always google it later.

Ward Kimball was one of Walt's original 9 old men team. He was a tremendously talented gentleman, and one of the few Imagineers that was ever given a public compliment by Walt Disney himself. Walt called him a Genius, which apparently surprised people by his flattering compliment of Ward.
Ward Kimball was a keen Draftsman, an excellent artist(He created some of Walt's most famous characters such as the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland,Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio, the not-so-P.C. crows from Dumbo, and many, MANY others, including the Disney in Space programs. He was also a trombone player for the band he founded, the FireHouse Five + 2, which was a jazzy-new orleans type band, and was mostly composed of other animators. The band actually toured different Southern California venues as well as performed weekend stints inside Disneyland. They had also released several albums.
Kimball was a huge inspiration to Walt because of Ward's love and curiosity for travel, namely by way of the Train. Ward had a full sized narrow gauge Steam powered train set up in his backyard in San Gabriel, what he called Grizzly Flats RR. His home sat on approximately 5 acres(?) at the time, and it was surrounded by orange farms. Walt was so fascinated by Wards knowledge of operating and repairing full sized steam trains that Walt decided he wanted one to circle his park, that had not yet been built. As you can assume, Ward was Walt's Advisor and go-to guy on this and even in the Casey Jr. Cartoon. Ward almost single handedly illustrated and or advised most of the cartoon trains in Walt's studio.

So anyhow, Betty Kimball just had another smaller auction with mostly paper collectibles recently. I wound up bidding and winning a couple items.

First was a letter with photos, apparently someone soliciting Wards knowledge of a 1904 wind up train, and seeing if he might be interested in purchasing it. Ward Kimball not only had full sized trains, but he had a custom built room to house his antique toy train collection, probably one of the most extensive and largest in the world, at the time.

It came with the letter addressed to Ward, the 15-20 photos of the train set, with notes jotted on the back of each photo, sealed in a little makeshift cardboard holder that reads "Marklin O-gauge train and accessories" (A deal that fell through)

Above is a certificate of authenticity/verification signed in pen by Betty Kimball, bless her heart!
It's a small piece of Ward Kimball, and his passion for trains, who is directly connected to Disneyland forever. That is why the Ward Kimball items are being posted here.

Secondly, and a little more oddball, were two posters sent to Ward from Knott's Berry Farm promoting; what I think is one of Knott's finest later added attractions, Mystery Lodge.

The poster above in the Pacific Northwest theme is on some kind of natural type paper, not the usual poster paper.

The posters were sent from the outside vendor and founder who created Mystery Lodge for Knott's Berry Farm. The company is still doing business and have installed all kinds of amusements and attractions at different themeparks around the world. Posters also came with the letter sent to Ward telling him about the opening, and if he'd like to see it in person to contact Bob Rodgers, the writer of the letter, and founder of the company.

Overall, some cool way to start off 2010, thanks to Liz and the discovery of the auction. Without disclosing the actual prices I paid, the 2 auction group items cost me less than a weeks lunch, for both.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-01-09 02:05 ]

I had one of my best trips of acid at the mystery lodge show

L

I never saw the post but you are welcome Tom :)

I try to keep an eye out for Disneyland stuff just for you.

Just be sure to go with me when I travel down that way!

On 2010-02-16 21:15, Coco Joe wrote:

I had one of my best trips of acid at the mystery lodge show

Haha, yea the show in itself is a trip! I wish Disney would have used simliar technology when they redid the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln show...

On 2010-02-16 21:31, leleliz wrote:
I never saw the post but you are welcome Tom :)

Just be sure to go with me when I travel down that way!

Done deal! but wait until they refill the Rivers of America and get the World of Color show going...Make it worth while!...It seems so cluttered with a big fence hiding the construction along the riverfronts, with the Mark Twain and Columbia "drydocked".

Hey Tom-

Here are some images from my collection.

For more images,check out http://www.matterhorn1959.blogspot.com

TS

Patrick, I think I've mentioned it before but I've been lurking your blogspot for years now, and all I can say is WOW. I see in the photos, you've acquired the Tahitian Terrace lunch and dinner menus!!! I can't touch one for under $80, so for now it eludes me...Great stuff as always! I'll be checking in on Friday to see if you have more souveniers to share!

L

Tom thought of you when I found these...

Yesterday took my mom out thrifting (she couldn't believe the speed at which I thrift but I digress :)) and found these:

6 mint condition postcard books from the 60s/70s of all the areas of Disneyland:

Maint Street
Frontierland
Tomorrowland
New Orleans Square
Adventureland
Fantasyland

and yes there is an Enchanted Tiki Room card:

Tom ever seen these? Anyone?

Oh and mom is old so she hooked me up with a 20% discount cuz it was discount days for the old folks!

Those are pretty nifty Liz, Nice finds! I've never seen those books before, but I rarely browse for postcards which might explain why.. :P . At first I was going to say they looked more late 70s/early 80s to me, based on the color and graphics. But upon further inspection, and trying to see the people in the crowd shots, I'm going to say they look more like what you stated. Late 1960s into early/mid 1970s. Try looking for a roman numeral date anywhere on the booklets. I've just returned from trying to find keyword: retro/vintage disneyland postcard book/lets, and failed to find any under images. I've been out of the loop, trying to hustle my blood pressure down for employment. I've also laid off of thrifting/flea marketing until I get things under control, hence no posts from me for a while now...haha, I'm confident it'll get better soon! I still enjoy reading the "Finds" threads weekly, though! The OMC mug is a nice little score, but PTD's witco fountain!? WTF!!!! Incredible find.(insert drool here)

Very kewl Liz!!! Obviously a seasoned shop-aholic...I luv it!!!

I am tagging onto this thread with a question. My memory is not as good as it used to be, so please let me know what you think. I remember the Disneyland Tour Guides had little flags on the ends of their crops with the party number on them. So if your group made a stop at the same location as another group, you would be able to find your guide in the crowd. I found this posed picture of some of the girl guides with their crops. What about the flag???? Did that exist or am I hallucinating!!!

TS

That is a great question Vamp, and unfortunately, I have no answer or idea! I'm certain Matterhorn1959 has the answer to this. I personally do not recall any flags ever used, even in present day, but that doesn't mean it wasn't at one time or during busy seasons of past...Pat?

Pages: 1 2 67 replies