Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Do it yourself TAPA paper by TIKIVILLE

Pages: 1 25 replies

Well desire,lack of female company and lack of funds has once again inspired my creativity ( that and a small Q&A with BAMBOO BEN)
Tell me what you think of the first part of my home mads TAPA project,I still need to apply a couple colors and ruff it up a bit but ....

like any good project ...starts with a drink !

as you can see I have a lot of space to create! lol
This is just started out a practice piece but I may end up finding a place for it .
any advice or examples of your own tapa ideas?
................Mahalo
( OH YEAH , I started at 11;30 pm and finished at 3 ;25 am! )

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-03-20 10:54 ]

P

Hey Tikiville,

Nice work. Any progress shots? Could you fill us in on how you did it? What kind of paper is the base?

Paul

I'll post the pics as the project progresses, The paper I used came from the secret land of nifty paper ( Michaels craft store) it's just packing paper ...comes in a tight roll .Ya gotta crumple it up without tearing it ,the crumplier the better !...but thats the "magic" sorry if it doesn't seem more exciting lol
I think tonite I'll do the darker brown color.
Stay tuned

Wowwwy Zowwwy, way nice. Are you using a template or is this freehand? The darker brown will really make it pop. GREAT JOB!!!

P

Duh!! Why didn't I think of that? Here I've been trying to think of what kind of fabric would be even close to tapa to simulate it on my own, being in Pennsylvania makes it hard to find ANYTHING tropical, other than the cheap luau party stuff.

Thanks Tikiville!

Paul

looking forward to the progress shots!
interesting project!

Looks like a great first attempt! Me thinks I needs to get to the art store to buy a roll of packing paper...

so here are the final shots of my home made tapa project...now this is as I said a practice piece to see which designs I liked and didn't ( yes all free hand with no sketching or planning ...like most things I do lol ) , after I finished I figured not to let it go to waste so I found a place to hang it .It's not wide enough for a wall and would have to be mounted then painted but that is a coming project ! ENJOY!
and MAHALO for the input !

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-03-23 11:28 ]

looks great on the floor but even better in place! Nice "trial" piece!
Looking forward to the next one!

Woooooooozers...great work and being polynesian myself - I'm not that artistic so now you've inspired me.
Here is a link to some Samoan tapa designs that I might try: http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/pacific/samoa/gallery.html

That is really nice, very ingenious, looks great

Amy

On 2009-06-20 20:42, Nesian Girl wrote:
Woooooooozers...great work and being polynesian myself - I'm not that artistic so now you've inspired me.
Here is a link to some Samoan tapa designs that I might try: http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/pacific/samoa/gallery.html

Thanks for that link , I's gonna help me out on the next piece I do !
I think i'll use brown paper next time and water colors....

So what kind of paint or ink did you use on that, if you're going with watercolors next?
Can't wait to see the next one, cuz I think this one captures the look of tapa so well!

I used white packing paper and fabric dye,ya I just mixed about 1/2 cup of water with a package of brown dye ...went over it for darker parts and used a lighter dye for other parts you get it .
I think the BROWN packing paper that Bamboo Ben suggested may work better ...

so I've started on a less interpretive and more traditional looking piece.I am using brown paper and water colors....like it's gonna take a few more tic tocs than the last one lol but the result should be worth it !
here's a peek....

RH

Nice work, I like how you used the first one to top of the stairwell.

T

Awesome Tapa. I'd like to see Tapa painting demonstrations at Tiki Oasis! It looked good before the dark brown, but when you added the dark, it really popped!

wish I was going to the OASIS, alas I have spent all my travell money on this forum lol,that and there are tattoo conventions for the next 2 weekends in Alberta ( thats a province ...y'know like a state ) so I have that to colsole me .
Wait till its done and up then it will pop see!
Mahalo

So any progress? :D

Yeah. What he said.

Just got back from a week stumblin rhrough the interior of british colombia, a flat tire and a blown oil senser and not a single piece of tiki ( stayed at the TIKI VILLAGE motel though)... I'll post tapa progress next couple days!

Just got back from a week stumblin rhrough the interior of british colombia, a flat tire and a blown oil senser and not a single piece of tiki ( stayed at the TIKI VILLAGE motel though)... I'll post tapa progress next couple days!

this new one is looking pretty stellar right now,TV!

and love the stairway ceiling placement of the last one....
Stunning!
:)

I'll take that as a subtle kick in the pants lol ....Okay TONITE I will work on the new one ( maybe even stay up all night to finish it ) and tomorrow morning progress shots!
mahalo for the boost...we all need one once and a while ,

Your "trial" Tapa looks awesome bra! It gave me some inspiration....maybe I can make one like yours but thinner and use it as a border around my bar....hmmm.... keep up the good work! Cant wait to see your next one...

as promised....( didn't end up all night just till 3 am)

and an early shot of the initial start...

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-10-09 11:13 ]

Pages: 1 25 replies