Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

April 18th - the Tikiyaki Orchestra & Tiki Magazine spring release party at Don the Beachcomber !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies

Thanks Ryan

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CJ

On 2009-03-31 22:03, Sincityryan wrote:
We open at 4pm

Hey Ryan! How about some good news of more drinks added to the list during this gig???

On 2009-03-31 18:39, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
Anyone thinking of eating there before the show? I'm planning to make a reservation but the Tikiyaki flyer says "doors open at six" but if you go look at the "Tiki Art Show Extended" thread, that says doors open at 4pm. Just wondering if anyone here knows if the restaurant is open before 6pm. Is it closed down and only open at 6pm for the show or is the restaurant booking reservations before 6pm?

Hi Hanalei pirate...

The restaurant opens at 4:00 . The show is in the Banquet room and Hidden Village which are separate from the main dining room.

On 2009-03-31 22:14, Coco Joe wrote:

We open at 4pm

Hey Ryan! How about some good news of more drinks added to the list during this gig???

We are attempting to hire one more full time bartender this or next week. Then I can start training on more of the drinks... I'm doing my best I promise!

We open at 4pm

Ok, thanks bigtikidude and Sincityryan.

Hi Hanalei pirate...

The restaurant opens at 4:00 . The show is in the Banquet room and Hidden Village which are separate from the main dining room.

Ok, thanks! that give me all the info I need on what's happening where and at what time. I will go ahead and make a reservation.

Tikidude - What's the difference between eating in the bar area and the dining room - ambiance? Different menu? At the old Trader Vics in Beverly Hills the bar was a total different experience than the main dining room. (I remember someone saying the Trader Vic's bar menu was different too.) Anyway, I've only been to the old Sam's - once, several years back and don't remember anything about the layout. I think we were just there for some TC thing in the bar area.

yeah the decor of the bar is way more tiki than anywhere else in the whole place. they have a appetizer menu.
but you can order off the regular menu if you want more of a real meal.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

OK folks, remember, tropical attire required at this shindig, and there is a "don the Donn" contest for the best Don the Beachcomber lookalikes with prizes for the best "Don" by Castaway Ceramics...so....

The many faces of Don Beach...

Scrounging Don

Mixologist Don

"Don" Don , the Tiki mobster

Beachcomber Don

Luau-Ready Don

and of course, our favorite....Don getting Hammered !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-04-05 23:21 ]

So Tikiyaki Jim was telling me this weekend.
that you pay at the door(entrance to the back rooms)
then grab the first available table.
reservations are not being taken for the back rooms.
first come first served, er uh seated.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

....yes...what Big Tiki Dude said...so, please kids, play nice. If you see a chair with a jacket over the back, or a drink in front of it on the table...assume that it is TAKEN.

ALSO....This show will mark the 1st anniversary of our very first live performance ! April 19th, 2008 (ok, short by one day!) at the Tiki Farm Parking lot sale.

See the vid here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ohVDlxx3cM

Mahalo everyone for an amazing 1st year !!!!

"please kids, play nice. If you see a chair with a jacket over the back, or a drink in front of it on the table...assume that it is TAKEN."

:)
I second that.

Wish we could make it but we'll be out of town. Have a great show and we'll make the next Tikiyaki gig for sure. Can't wait till things slow down a bit for us so we can get down to DTB!

Terra

On 2009-04-06 12:19, bigtikidude wrote:
So Tikiyaki Jim was telling me this weekend.
that you pay at the door(entrance to the back rooms)
then grab the first available table.
reservations are not being taken for the back rooms.
first come first served, er uh seated.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last summer's Tikiyaki show was particularly cool to me because of the reserved dinner seating prior to the room switcheroo. As far as I can recall, the place was pretty packed despite arriving around an hour before Tikiyaki played their first set. Is there any way they could reconsider the reservations? Some of Don's employees are on this board, yes?

T

I agree Mambo King. I too prefer, the "dinner show" style of reserved seating, But as we know from reading posts on this board, Kona is still making it's transition to Don's. and with that , all those things like getting the staff, managers and organizers are still getting sussed out.

So for this first event as Don's, it was agreed that we keep it simple while the new staff gets put in place and up to speed at DTB. So we have to be patient for that to happen.

It's a big Party, so we're just asking everyone to be civil, use your best Aloha spirit, and don't take people's seat - if they appear taken.

and get there early,
and don't go to Taco surf across the street.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Will they be serving dinner in the room where Tikiyaki will be performing, Jim?

T

On 2009-04-07 10:33, MamboKing wrote:
Will they be serving dinner in the room where Tikiyaki will be performing, Jim?

Yes, there will be a full wait staff serving dinner and drinks. It's just not reserved seating.

I guess I don't understand how reserved seating would be a hassle for DTB...I get the part of the changeover from Kona. But I don't see how that works into a problem for DTB.

T

On 2009-04-07 10:41, MamboKing wrote:
I guess I don't understand how reserved seating would be a hassle for DTB...I get the part of the changeover from Kona. But I don't see how that works into a problem for DTB.

Well...they'd need an event organizes within the restaurant, who has a list of parties, how many etc...then people want certain seats etc....right now, it's too much to deal with, but hopefully in the future it won't be.

T

OK Folks, since this is also a release party for the new TIKI MAGAZINE, Nick was kind enough to allow us to preview the cover, done by the fabulous The PIZZ !

Issues will be available at the show.

Drum Roll please........

S
squid posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 11:42 AM

Grand prize for the Don The Beachcomber Look-Alike Contest:
A trio of beverage vessels from Castaway! Just add alkyhol!

D

The last TIkiyaki show with assigned seating went terribly wrong. People staked out their seats and then while they were at the bar, others came in and literally picked up and moved their stuff to other tables and took the seats--very uncool!! It turned into a big cluster #$%@.

B

Will be there. We happen to be in CA that weekend. It's my B-day and
I can't think of a better way to spend it than by harassing Doug.

M

On 2009-04-08 12:06, Digitiki wrote:
The last TIkiyaki show with assigned seating went terribly wrong. People staked out their seats and then while they were at the bar, others came in and literally picked up and moved their stuff to other tables and took the seats--very uncool!! It turned into a big cluster #$%@.

Well, that's probably because Tikiyaki is notorious for attracting hoodlums & driving them into a frenzy. I mean, an EXOTICA band causing a venue to be fined due to a NOISE complaint? C'mon! They are obviously guilty of playing jungle rhythms to stir up the crowd to steal seats, cut in lines (which is cause for expulsion from the park) & not flush toilets. Shame on them. I submit the "Bad Boys of Exotica" should use this image for their upcoming album.

TM

On 2009-04-09 09:57, MamboKing wrote:

On 2009-04-08 12:06, Digitiki wrote:

Well, that's probably because Tikiyaki is notorious for attracting hoodlums & driving them into a frenzy. I mean, an EXOTICA band causing a venue to be fined due to a NOISE complaint? C'mon! They are obviously guilty of playing jungle rhythms to stir up the crowd to steal seats, cut in lines (which is cause for expulsion from the park) & not flush toilets. Shame on them. I submit the "Bad Boys of Exotica" should use this image for their upcoming album.

The police were called on them last time. Tikiyaki Orchestra are very bad men! There is no place in sports for a band like that. Jail is where they belong! They are all really violent and crazy, but that Marty Lush is the WORST out of all of them.
I never told anyone this story (mostly because I was very embarrassed about it) but when it was still Kona, I was there watching the Tikiyaki Orchestra. I went outside for a smoke break, and I guess I kind of brushed up against someone's car. I mean, very lightly. I hardly touched it.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I hear this rough, guttaral voice behind me: "Hey, you touching my car?". It was Marty, but at first I was not sure because he was wearing a hood and dark clothes. I tried to give some response, but before I could even open my mouth he punched me hard in the face. One, twice, again. My 2 front teeth were knocked out (I even swallowed one) and my nose was bleeding horribly. I fell to the ground, where Marty started kicking me. I guess some other of these thug band members came outside to see what the commotion was. Squid and JonPaul started in on me with their boots as well. I had three guys kicking the crap out of me. I tried to go for an ankle take-down on one of them, but these guys were too good. Like they had done this before. So I did what I could to survive, rolling up into a tight ball so my outer muscles would absorb the worst of this prolonged, vicious beating. Somehow during the haze of the furious kicks and blows, I was able to notice Jim Bacchi, sitting on the low wall cooly smoking and watching the whole thing, giving the guys encouragement like "Now kick him in the balls" or "Good! now step on this fingers, break 'em, snap 'em!!". That kind of thing.
I cried out "Jim, Jim, what did I do? Please tell them not to hurt me no more!"

At that point Jim made a motion with his hands for the guys to stop. He approached me and almost whispered in my ear: " It's $200 a week, EVERY week, from now on, and DON'T make me come looking for ya!!"

So like so many others, I have been paying. The only good thing is I no longer have trouble with the Musician's union. They hear that I am with Jim, and they back right off!

S
squid posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 10:34 AM

You should see what goes on in the tour bus. Or maybe not. Then you would know too much. And we all know what happens when you know too much, don't we boys?

T

Lucas...you got it all wrong see.....

I don't smoke....Must be a case of Mistaken identity.

Those other guys are hoods tho', no doubt.

wow that is hilarious.
I always knew these guys were up to no good.

so I guess the event at the Mayflower was really a jumping in of all the peeps that didn't want to go up against the Tikiyaki gang?

R

squid wearing boots? now that's funny!!!

T

On 2009-04-09 11:49, tikiyaki wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-VY5cC2jk&feature=related

What did that guy do? Try to make a reservation?

TM
M
S
squid posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 6:20 PM

Oh yeah? Well take this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwirWWnzJKM

D
Danno posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 6:26 PM

Youse guys are funny . . . Funny guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ff46b58Hk

S
squid posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 7:47 PM

That's all showbiz crap. Check out this actual rehearsal footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bit9YxtTamY

TM

On 2009-04-09 18:26, Dano wrote:
Youse guys are funny . . . Funny guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ff46b58Hk

Not to go completely off topic again....but check out this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLje9McwxvA&feature=related

You know, I think I'm gonna skip the Tikiyaki gig & watch YouTube at home.

D

Let's try to get back on Topic . . . maybe Tikiyaki can re-enact a scene from Goodfellas or have a Slap-a-Thon at DTB . . . Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck . . .

Swaying and Playing since 64’

[ Edited by: Dano 2009-04-10 11:03 ]

coconut creame pie fight.
mmmmmmmm

Moe! Larry!
the Cheese!
Moe! Larry!
the Cheese!

In a strange bit of synchronicity, I just finished up a Don the Beachcomber tribute painting I started a while back on a monkey pod plate (which is my SPECIALTY)..it features mostly Dons ex-wife 'Sunny" Sund, who is a little more CHEESE-CAKEY to paint then the Don...I think it turned out to be pretty SPIFFY if I say so myself..Don is present with a stogie and a delicious MAI TAI while tikis abound

T

wow...that's really nice !

Tikiyaki gets the centerfold!!! I hear there's a photo of Marty without the fez! Va, va, va voom. Topic bump

How come TC doesn't have the puking Emoticon?
now would be a perfect time for that.
:eeeek:

Jeff(bigtikidude)
"Where Good Rum is Immortalized, and Drinking is an Art"
"And, When that old "Demon Rum" slips past the lips it still works its ancient,cheerful magic" (Don the Beachcomber)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-04-13 12:58 ]

On 2009-04-13 11:33, Digitiki wrote:
Tikiyaki gets the centerfold!!! I hear there's a photo of Marty without the fez! Va, va, va voom.

YES! That Marty Lush is one handsome fella! :wink:

S
squid posted on Tue, Apr 14, 2009 5:20 PM

Looks like there will be some stiff competition for the Don The Beachcomber Look-Alike contest. We already have our first Don...

[ Edited by: squid 2009-04-14 17:26 ]

more famous Dons in history:
Don Coreeone The Beachcomber

Don Adams the Beachcomber"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies