Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Whatever

Pages: 1 25 replies

[ Edited by: Kamaina Kraig 2009-03-30 22:03 ]

This definitely belongs on Craigs list only- new guy.

On 2009-03-30 18:24, 1961surf wrote:
This definitely belongs on Craigs list only- new guy.

Perhaps I'm too focused on 50's kitschy type stuff.

KK

Not 50's!

Some of you tikier than thou folks need to take a xanax or something. I guess this place isn't as much fun as I thought it was...or some of you are wound a little too tight. Maybe my memories of the fifties are different than yours. I will not be making many posts from now on...will just lurk. Sorry to have bothered you.
To the folks that have given me constructive advise...thank you...to the ones that just criticize...I feel sorry for you.

KK

Just trying to keep the focus here, KK, this is Tiki CENTRAL after all, not Party Room Central. Why not look at it this way: Over a hundred folks here did look at the post, perhaps silently shaking their head, and politely refrained from any comment, --that was very nice of us, no? :)

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 30, 2009 11:12 PM

Bigbro, well said! I was biting my tongue! I am tired of people posting whatever...
If you don't have something Tiki to say or show, keep it for yourself or post it in Beyond Tiki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep Tiki central TIKI!
KK, don't take it personal, just find the right forum for your posts!
Aloha, remember?

Hey Kraig,

I hope you don't takes things too personal, you're right some people are wound up too tight or too academic depending on how you look at it. but there is plenty aloha here to go around. Listen as far as things go, although the comments were somewhat perjorative. they weren't all that bad, you should have seen the welcome they gave me. in fact, even though i feel for you, i totally agree that we need to keep tikicentral tiki, after all that was the reason you and i and everyone else joined up in the first place.

Hope to see you around. keep your chin up,

Dave

http://www.tikiculture.org
http://www.tikiblogger.com
http://squid.tikiblogger.com

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2009-03-31 05:26 ]

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2009-03-31 05:26 ]

Since this "I thought Tiki is supposed to be fun!" situation comes up here regularly, I would like to expound on it again by saying "Fun, yes, but mindful fun", a sort of informed fun, that is just not that quickly accquired. The fun of Tiki (to me and many here) lies in the intelligent irony and multifacetedness of it, which you can only grasp after a prolonged exposure to it. For that very reason is there so much bad and "off" Tiki in the media and in the market nowadays. People just don't want to spend the time...

So while some newbies often display a lot of enthusiasm, they might not "get it" all at the beginning. That has nothing to do with "exclusive club" mentality on the TCers side, but simply with a natural gap in "education". I see posts that correct newbies' ideas of what Tiki is as educational, not as arrogant or a "you can't play" statement. But internet communication is often taken too personal, in all sorts of forums.

And of course I exemplify the "academic" side of Tiki, how could I have written two fat books on that crap, otherwise, and have many more to come. :)

On 2009-03-31 11:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
Since this "I thought Tiki is supposed to be fun!" situation comes up here regularly, I would like to expound on it again by saying "Fun, yes, but mindful fun", a sort of informed fun, that is just not that quickly accquired. The fun of Tiki (to me and many here) lies in the intelligent irony and multifacetedness of it, which you can only grasp after a prolonged exposure to it. For that very reason is there so much bad and "off" Tiki in the media and in the market nowadays. People just don't want to spend the time...

So while some newbies often display a lot of enthusiasm, they might not "get it" all at the beginning. That has nothing to do with "exclusive club" mentality on the TCers side, but simply with a natural gap in "education". I see posts that correct newbies' ideas of what Tiki is as educational, not as arrogant or a "you can't play" statement. But internet communication is often taken too personal, in all sorts of forums.

And of course I exemplify the "academic" side of Tiki, how could I have written two fat books on that crap, otherwise, and have many more to come. :)

So as I understand it the "fun of Tiki" that you and many here have decided it to be is how the TCers want to maintain here on Tiki Central. "Correcting newbies ideas" smacks of elitism. If this is an acedemic site so be it. I will continue my "education" (which you know nothing about) by lurking but I will now feel uncomfortable in posting anything that I attempt to create as I may feel it is not up to the standards you have set for this website. However, I hope I never become one of the TCers who finally "get it" and attempt to pompously correct newbies ideas of what Tiki is.

thinking about this a little more, maybe hanford can move the bilge section to the main page so that people can find it and test out the waters first. from personal experience, i know its hard for the new people to see past the criticism at first, since there is a sense that you are looking to join a community and not be rejected by it. but the truth is if something means a lot to you and you don't feel that you can handle criticism and/or defend yourself then don't post it here. to post is to invite discussion whether positive or negative. that is the absolute fundamental concept of how a forum works. to choose not to participate because of hurt feelings is in of itself not a constructive way of dealing with things. people here have written literally tomes on the subject of tiki. and granted they are well respected, but if you disagree with them, you have every right to state your point of view. if you come around to see that what they say make sense (and most of it has to do with defining tiki to build the sense of community) then be big enough to move on. i certainly did.

look at it this way, if sven was truly trying to be elitist, as a big time author, he wouldn't even bother to reply to your post. i don't remember the last time i had a tiff with stephen hawkings on a forum for instance. so i urge you to put aside the hurt feelings, maybe take a couple of weeks off, come back refresh and let us know how that room is coming along.

oh and don't bother worrying about bad blood with anyone or anything, people here don't have that good of a memory on account of the rum...

http://www.tikiculture.org
http://www.tikiblogger.com
http://squid.tikiblogger.com

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2009-03-31 12:35 ]

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2009-03-31 12:57 ]

Always evolving, always learning...as you can see from these two threads I started sometime ago...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27011&forum=5&hilite=tase

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25756&forum=1&hilite=Snob

All I know is after three years I am still learning and don't mind if I get corrected once in a while. You can have fun with people being serious, if you don't take it personally...but don't ever post any pictures of white walls or ceilings!

PTD

Repent and atone, PTD! This the West Point of Tiki! :D

On 2009-03-31 12:17, tikiauction wrote:
... if sven was truly trying to be elitist, as a big time author, he wouldn't even bother to reply to your post. i don't remember the last time i had a tiff with stephen hawkings on a forum for instance.

I am the Stephen Hawkins of Tiki? Well blush my soul! :blush: Mind you, IF I can be considered a "big time author", it is on a very small subject!
So small that it almost did not get published!:

But as Stephen Hawkins would say, even in the tiniest microcosm we can glimpse the whole damn universe! (I added the "damn")

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-31 13:45 ]

L

On 2009-03-31 12:38, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Always evolving, always learning...as you can see from these two threads I started sometime ago...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27011&forum=5&hilite=tase

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25756&forum=1&hilite=Snob

All I know is after three years I am still learning and don't mind if I get corrected once in a while. You can have fun with people being serious, if you don't take it personally...but don't ever post any pictures of white walls or ceilings!

PTD

The question is ...do you still own that set of AMAZING tiki/party city string lights?????

Because if you somehow misplaced them I would be more than happy to get some for ya at Big Lots! :wink:

In my opinion-
There are a lot of items I collect that add to my ever growing tiki collection that I do not post here mainly because I know either everyone has seen them or they do not really have a tiki basis. I really love Hawaiiana-all those knick knacks with "Hawaii" spelled out on them are something I always pick up when I am out thrifting. I think perhaps its because I have never actually been to Hawaii but regardless I know most people on here don't care to see my large collection of Hawaii souvenirs (like S&Ps or hula girls) However I know everyone would love to see my latest rare mug find. Its just a matter of posting for a purpose rather than just to post.

KK I think the one thing you will find with these folks is that they are all good, fun people who feel very passionately about TC and Tiki as they know it. You are not the 1st person to feel like you do...but I really think its because you are new to the site and have just started to catch on to the way the postings go on here.

For example you came on board with a Jimmy Buffet inspired name and had Hanford change it to KK. That right there is a sign that you want to learn and be part of a different sort of tiki then you are familiar with.

We all went wild over your soon to be tiki room. That right there shows that you have something that we all enjoy and want to continue to be a part of and check out.

No one on here is an elitist. Really.

As someone who lurked for years before posting and began slowly to do so my advice is to use the "Search" function to find threads that are along the same lines as to what you want to post so you are able to post in the ideal forum. A forum this big needs some sort of organization or its no good to anyone. Getting excited over something cool you found on CL is something to stick in the Bilge section because , well, its not tiki.

Beyond Tiki FInds is my favorite thread because thats where we can all post the crap we are excited about that aint tiki per say but will prollie evoke the same "That's Cool!" feelings in other people.

Just dont feel discouraged. It really is nothing personal and if you ever get a chance to meet any TC Ohana in person you will realize that upon the first shared mai tai!

TS

I'll betcha "Billy" is kicking himself in the sack, after seeing the resurgence in Tiki pop culture, and 50s-60s kitsch style in general.... :lol:

To KK....I lurked here for two years before actually joining and adding a post. In those two years, I read alot of the discussions, to get a feel for what was going on. I had bumped heads with a couple of TC veterans, but by opinion only. I didn't take it to the heart. As was stated above, this forum is to uncover,discover, and sometimes debate what can be defined as tiki.

In hindsight for me, TC has been a tremendous wealth of information regarding places of a bygone era, and I'm glad to know such knowledgeable folks! I've since dug up my own places of interest, and was able to supply details or cast a new light on, that others had no knowledge of. We are the new age slueths, uncovering tiki's past, and where everyone pitches in who has bits and pieces of information. Soon a bunch of people who may have made only tiny contributions, help solve the puzzle. That is why one of Tiki Centrals focus/outline is so valuable to me.

T

That's Stephen Hawking, Sven, Hawking.

Sheesh!

:wink:

Seeee? I just know my little corner of the world. I must have been thinking of Treasure Island's Jim Hawkins!
....not to say that "Pirate" = "Tiki", now!

WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE?
oh.... reruns again...
:lol:

Welcome Kamaina Kraig!
You'll learn how to thicken your skin
after a few weeks of posting here on TC!
Don't let it get you down...
A little bit of backstage R&D to find the proper forums
and you'll be chiming in with the rest of us regulars!
Aloha!
:)

I think most TC'ers have been beaten like a rented mule at least once on here for something they posted .

In general Email and forums are soulless forms of communication. Most of the time something typed is misunderstood or taken wrong and all hell breaks loose over the littlest of things.

You will find the best way to communicate with people from this forum is in person at a Tiki event with a drink in your hand .

Forum members (from any organization)can be bullish and brave behind a keyboard but everyone I have met in person from Tiki Central has been wonderful, warm and inviting.

Come see us April 18,19,20 LA Convention center

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2009-03-31 16:29 ]

I am the Stephen Hawkins of Tiki? Well blush my soul! :blush: Mind you, IF I can be considered a "big time author", it is on a very small subject!
So small that it almost did not get published!:

Sven,

Nice letter. My Dad wrote a few books and had a little collection of those.

Got anymore? I know you tried for a while to get published.

Thanks for your perseverance.

DC

sven, that letter begs the question, curious mind wants to know, why did you submit the manuscript to the cookbook department?

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.