Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Pau Hana Hideaway, Denver

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

Edit...
Seeing as time has changed the theme of the Lounge I figured it was time to change the name.
The side room will now be known as the Ooku'-Aku Lounge in the Pau Hana Hideaway!

Being tired of a drab basement where I sit and play my Ukulele's I kept threating the other half that I was going to build a bar...

So while sippin drinks at Frankie’s during a Vegas trip, she looks at me and said "Is this what your wanting to do?" and agreed to the basement conversion.
No name for it yet...

Yesterday I started the project.
We are trying to do it on the cheep to start and she likes the Party City Tiki stuff (I know…) It won’t end up being a Frankie’s but at least she said ok!!!

I’ll be keeping the old school spray on ceiling, as a kid all the “Rumpus Rooms” seemed to have it (plus I have already stripped it off the other 6 rooms in the house, I’m done doing that) and with the can lights on a dimmer down low you can't tell and the room is nice and dark any way!!!

Enjoy and more to come…

Before

Going to the Basement

Using reed fencing to do the walls the existing paint blends in nice.
Hung the surfboard up awhile back.

2 walls 1 1/2 to go, built the frame for the bar, jumpin ahead.

This morning she tells me the bar is not big enough so instead of finishing the walls...

and next week is a 3 day weekend!!!!

And yes there are 2 TV's in the room now a boy(me) has to be able to watch South Park and Playstation at the same time, but they are going away!!!
There is a tv going on the wall behind the bar with a picture over it when not watchin Gilligan's Island...

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2010-02-27 09:50 ]

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2011-06-29 17:00 ]

Well, it looks like it's starting to come together... Hey I like that Gilligan's Island where Gilligan is a sort of Polynesian king. I like the one with The Mosquitos group too.

Aloha, Scott.

Keep the pics coming, nice to see another Denver basement bar coming along. Maybe soon we will have enough personal bars here to start hosting a Denver home bar tour.

Zulu
home of the Kona Luanii (my home bar)

Thanks for the kind words!!!!

This is how I am spent day 1 and 2 of my 3 day weekend (I'm working harder than I do at work)...

Getting to know my 39.00 pawn shop router.

What I did with it, 16 8ft 2x4 to make the corner posts for the bar, they look better this way.

I'm no Bamboo Ben but this is some of what I did to the sides of the posts and the header board with the ol' Dremel.

After alittle chain beating, time for some stain

and now its cocktail time...

And I now have a name it's the "Ooko' Aku Lounge" named for 2 things I enjoy the ookolele (ukulele) and Tiki plus it's a little play on the old Aku Aku...

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-09-07 18:51 ]

todays project
What do you do with a basement window well...

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-05-31 20:50 ]

B

Very nice. Hope you can unhook that surfboard and go surfing sometime. Nice digs. BUFFBAD

Well all my surfing nowadays takes place in the local rivers in a kayak and sometimes on the boogie board!!!
But I did use the board alot while livin in Lantana, Fl.

A few pic's of the work I did today. I was able to put the bar together (finally) but still have to make the tops.

Did a mock up of the supports for thatch now I need to break out the torch

A little rope wraping

You get the idea

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-07 20:19 ]

Some more progress on the basement

All the walls now covered

Bamboo "rafters" and thatch put in place

Just need to finish the bar top then start moving mugs and rum bottles to their new home and get the TV's out of there!!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-13 22:49 ]

L

I like the carved wood beams :) it is coming along well and it looks like you have a great space to work with.

Thank you very much.
It was a bit of work but alot of fun, well worth it to me.
Time and money, I have more time than money to do this project, as I said I'm no Bamboo Ben but I can say I made them myself... not that I wouldn't like some of Ben's work in my space!!!

Over time I plan on replacing that table fringe around the ceiling with 1x4's carved/stained the same way!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-15 21:24 ]

T

I love it! Some very nice ideas here. I like what you did with the posts. Are you planning on installing a bar top? Perhaps a live edge slab would look appropriate?

[ Edited by: tikifarm 2009-06-18 03:40 ]

H

Keep up the hard work. Your place is coming along nicely and post more pictures for us.

A

It's all coming together nicely. You'll really enjoy it once you're finished (of course, tiki bars are never finished....)

Thanks Folks!!!!

Everytime I think I got the final plan down I think of something to change, friday night I took the router and cut a groove in the top mug shelf to fit in some rope light to light up the mugs!!!
I got a fair bit of wall space to fill up but I sure I can take care of that when we are at the "Oasis" in a few months (gives me time to save some money) and as we are driving out I plan on making a stop at Mainlanders to fill up what space will be left in the car!!!

This weekend was spent making, chaining, sanding, staining, and varnishing the bar tops.
Hopefully they will be installed on Wednesday and I can mix up the first of many fine cocktails...

More pic's to follow...

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-21 20:54 ]

Well the bar top is in place and I mixed my first cocktail!!!

Still alot more work to do pic's to hang, mug shelves to build so on and on......

If your passin thru the Denver area PM me to stop in for a little drinky!!!!

Z

Scott - Looking great with the mood lighting, love the orange backlight behind the bar.

See you at Fink's next weekend.

Zulu

I did some panel carving for the side of the window wells this weekend if you want check it out.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33284&forum=7&0

Some additions to the room.

A Tiki (it's a bank) and the post I carved to get it above the plants.

My 10$ Goodwill palm tree and some more plants for the window well.

Netting, shells, starfish and a whale all thrift store.

The Kon Tiki I carved in place.

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-08-07 07:50 ]

nice transformation, the use of colored light really shows it off!

Amy

T

Nice Work on the bar and lighting there! Now, just make a crate to fit around the TV, with a burlap curtain to open up when you watch it, and drape it over when its off! The outside window diorama is a great idea. It be really cool for people who have a bad view out a window of a tiki room to just put a box on the outside and fill it with Exotic objects of curiosity! I guess that's why paintings have frames, they're meant to be seen as window frames looking into the artists view of the world.

Did a little more work today.

Before

Added some trim.

Started adding bamboo grid to hang more netting from, need to get more to finish the whole ceiling.

The grid is alot more work than I thought.

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-09-06 21:07 ]

The lights dimmed like a Tiki Bar should be. Hard to tell from the pic but you can still read the drink menu or sheet music!!!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 7, 2009 6:16 AM

Beach Bum Scott - Aloha!

I'm really into your basement project, it's cozy atmosphere especially your bar lighting bekons me to visit someday as I find myself in Denver on occasion (I'm a coaster enthusiast too..Denver's home to my beloved Lakeside Park and the Cyclone).

Does your tiki environment have a name?

PM me. I'm sure I can create a gift for you..a painting for the room..a small offering from the smoke blanketed So.Cal landscape to a new Mile High landmark.

Keep us posted on your progress. Cheers!

Thanks TikiG, you hit the nail. A dim cozy bar is what I'm shooting for.
The cozy part was easy the room is 16'x14' and the dim part was too, the room came with 6 can lights so I put in a dimmer switch.
Wish I had a better camera so my pictures did the room/lighting justice.

Being Labor Day I figured I would do some labor!!!
I need more shelving for mugs and such so Tammy found some Eames style pictures and asked if I could do something like it, Had a bunch of weathered wood from a deck I tore apart so...

Now I need to add some bamboo trim and do something with the white ceiling!!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-09-07 18:24 ]

Z

Those are nice looking shelves Scott! You have been kicking ass with the production of your place and it has taken shape very nicely it a short period of time. Maybe it can inspire me to pick up the snails pace that I work on in my place.

Zulu

W

That's a really nice bar you have coming together. Ukulo (I think that's the tiki mug's name) is one of my favorites for drinking as well, good shape and right sized for my average drinks.

You mean this lil' fella Wayfarer?

He's helping me break in my new Ukulele by holding my Jungle Jetsetter for me!!!!
After I added the new bamboo to the front of the bar.

Zulu isn't there some saying about Moai time?

Some new pictures of work and stuff...

Still have some trim work and shelves to build and to carve & finish the amp/book case and.....

Great job on your bar! The photos
with the lights on really makes a relaxing
atmosphere. Congrats!

Very nice Scott! We should trade uke licks sometime... you've got yourself a fine place for it.

Wow, what a difference the lighting makes! Nice work Scott!

Great looking room! The netting on the ceiling is a good effect. Like the little nook between the bar and the door, too. Nice arrangement- in the room yet kind of private. Mahalo for sharing!

S

Very nice..I too am looking for ideas a cool ukulele hanger..I have 7 I need to hang up ..

A little change to the "stairway to heaven"

before

after attending the "Relight the Night" event and picking up this print I got inspired to do some changes to the entry to the bar.
Made a frame for the print and built a mug shelf too.

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2010-07-11 08:00 ]

Massive upgrade Scott, looks solid!

Thanks alot!!! Are you going to be at Oasis again this year?

On 2010-07-11 14:48, Beach Bum Scott wrote:
Thanks alot!!! Are you going to be at Oasis again this year?

Ya buddy, the wife and I will be there, we will look for you and tip a couple back!

Looking good Scott. Makes for a more dramatic entrance and walk down the stairs.

Scott -

Fantastic job!!! The bar looks AMAZING!!! You should be proud!

I love what you did with the window!

Hi everyone it's been a while!!!
I've made some changes, grab a cocktail and take a look around...

The offcial greeter

Some got here before you did

Yes its a TV, got to be able to watch Blue Hawaii...

I figured a way around not having water.

Thanks for stoppin by see ya next time!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2011-04-20 07:48 ]

W

NICE!! Great looking room, I know that guy Mr. Tiki, watch out for your booze supply! :)

Chris
WestADad

Great set-up...even the dog approves. Love that rocks glass...nice shape and retro design.

Hey thanks for coming back. I like that surf decor, nice touch.

Thanks Everyone!!!

PP

very very cool!!! what did you use for the backlighting?? looks like enough room to have a few friends over and just chill!!! Again nice job!!!

paul

M

Great movie poster. That was one of my favorite movies.

Great Space. The ambient lighting is cool. Looks awesome!!!!!!! :D

Pages: 1 2 47 replies