Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

squid stuff in the works- PNG inspired drum pendants Pg 18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 298 replies

S
squid posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 1:01 AM

I know I had a damn thread in here somewhere but it was years ago so I'm starting fresh. Don't expect a novella about each little mush of the clay or cut of the wax. (You paying attention Little Lost Tiki????)

Here's a frieze (bas relief) piece I've been working on for a few days. Plasticine. About 14.5" wide. "Marquesan Cloud Rower".

Concept sketches

Day 2

Day 3

More pix soon plus some pendants in the making. Thanks for looking.

Limited Edition Mugs & MORE!

Officially Licensed Squid

[ Edited by: squid 2009-06-11 16:12 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2009-06-23 13:32 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2009-07-22 13:05 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2009-07-22 14:21 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2009-07-24 13:04 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2009-08-10 01:42 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2009-08-24 22:38 ]

Damn Squid VERY UNIQUE The concept sketch is great too. I hope to see it all finished keep us posted... or kinny will.. :D

TB

:) :) :) soooo cute! :)
are you gona do a serie of it? or it's a one piece?
I think that's great you have your own topic. :wink:

S
squid posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 1:43 AM

Thanks Kelly! Merci Baï!

I'm not sure exactly sure what I'm going to do with it. I'll definitely make castings but I want to try different materials. Plaster, resin, ceramic. Then I'll probably frame some. This is just one of those ideas I had that I just had to do. No real plan. We shall see what happens...

B

The boys are back in town!

S
squid posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 1:46 AM

On 2009-05-28 01:44, Babalu wrote:
The boys are back in town!

Yeah, but the girls keep us on our toes, eh? :wink:

Great looking concept!

It's super, great, wonderful, etc, etc.
I really love the canoe prow figure, but I harbor a soft spot for birds.

mental good - when, how, what?

it's all beautiful and all...
but where's the novella?
i was promised a novella!
:)

Stoked you're finally gonna start sharing your genius
and inspiringthe pretty people

Glad you're taking it and runnin with it!
It's fun to play,'specially when ya gots Squid Skillz
more Cloud Rowers!

Finally a thread that will be worth reading!!! More sketches!!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 9:41 AM
  • I love the sketches too, Squid

Will the Marquesan Cloud Rower have color? I see the black and white sketch, and the white frieze. Just wondering.

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 10:06 AM

Neato bandito.

Very cool, Squid. The whole thing looks great, especially the water cluster flow you got going.
What brand of plasticine are you using? I tried working with plastillina med. and hated it. Cass has suggested NSP Chavant. I'm still trying to find the perfect sculpting medium.

V

A huge mahalo for giving us a peek at your creative process!
The piece looks amazing - can't wait to see more. Love the lines!

Henrik

L

On 2009-05-28 01:01, squid wrote:
Don't expect a novella about each little mush of the clay or cut of the wax. (You paying attention Little Lost Tiki????)

lol

Nice work. But then you really don't need anyone to tell ya that!

K
kirby posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 4:09 PM

fucken awesome squidy!!!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 4:33 PM

Very cool - two of my favourite themes (voyaging/canoes and birds) done in the inimitable Squid style. I love those concept sketches, and the pics give some good insights into your process. Ka pai!

On 2009-05-28 09:41, TikiG wrote:
Will the Marquesan Cloud Rower have color? I see the black and white sketch, and the white frieze. Just wondering.

Inquiring minds want to know. How big is it.

Awesome Squid - I see a Sculpt-Off brewing between Squid and Bai. Maybe it can be a pay-per-view event on the TC Network :)

S
squid posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 6:14 PM

Most of the facial detailing done today. The really tight stuff will be done in the wax casting. I may leave the eyelids closed.

Close up

Side view for an idea of the depth

MadDogMike: It's 14.5" wide. Sculpt-Off!! Tire irons and a lump of mud at 50 paces!! :D
I would never do a sculpt-off with Bai. Have you ever gotten your ass kicked by a girl??? :)

TikiG: Not sure about color at this point. Not there yet. That would be too much like "planning". I try to make stuff that doesn't need color because I SUCK at it.

Tiki Kaimuki: It's Roma Plastilina #4. I probably should have used a more rigid sulphur-free Chavant. Holds detail better and my hands don't break out from the sulphur. I won't be posting pictures of that!

Thanks everyone for the props.

V

Why, hello my new favorite-est thread. Whatever do you mean I am checking in on you too often? It is only because I love you!

S
squid posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 6:21 PM

On 2009-05-28 18:18, VanTiki wrote:
Why, hello my new favorite-est thread. Whatever do you mean I am checking in on you too often? It is only because I love you!

Someone needs a hobby! :) Hey, don't we have a plumbing business to start?

B

Wait, who did you say you are? :)

Sweet relief!

Dave, that's super rad!

I've got a soft spot for the Marquesans, and I love the style this guy has. Rounded and casual in posture, and the texture really makes it pop.

Love the concept sketches too, I wish I had the patience to do those. I tend to just dive in, and if it doesn't work at least I can make a bonfire with it. :wink:

Thanks for sharing with us!

• new squid stuff = wonderful squid stuff

On 2009-05-28 01:12, Hiphipahula wrote:
Damn Squid VERY UNIQUE The concept sketch is great too. I hope to see it all finished keep us posted... or kinny will.. :D

Yep Squid, I agree with Hiphipahula. the concept sketch is great so... um.. CAN I HAVE IT? :D

Thank you!

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, May 29, 2009 9:40 AM

Its looking Awesome Bro!!

i have a question....

:lol:

Very nice!!!

The really tight stuff will be done in the wax casting.

Oh yea, because what you have currently is so freaking vague and lose! Awesome!!

Holy crap, dude. I should know by now that you just constantly churn out the most amazing stuff - but I STILL get floored by the physical manifestation of what's circling inside your head. Seriously awesome detail...on a medium that is not detailed enough for you?!?!?!? wow.

I love the composition of the piece and how smooth the pieces fit together. I REALLY love the cartoon-y feel of your work. Makes tiki stuff a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing your process!

L

On 2009-05-29 20:27, Polynesiac wrote:
I REALLY love the cartoon-y feel of your work. Makes tiki stuff a lot of fun.

Ya know..that bird reminds me of Zazu from The Lion King.

Or maybe I just have spent too much time on the computer today!

Post more soon!

Dude ur werks flippin RAD , WAY OUT KEWL !!!

S
squid posted on Sat, May 30, 2009 6:59 PM

Thanks again for all the kind words. Boris, if you share the secret of your gig schedule with everyone, I'll give serious consideration to parting with the concept sketches. :) Polynesiac, you don't really want to see what's in my head!! Trust me! And why do I keep hearing the voice of Rowan Atkinson???

Damn near done with the clay. Sorry for the crappy lighting.

I'm starting to hate wave/cloud thingies...

M
mp posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 1:29 AM

Unbelievable squid! Beautiful work.

On 2009-05-30 18:59, squid wrote:
Boris, if you share the secret of your gig schedule with everyone, I'll give serious consideration to parting with the concept sketches. :)

Hmm, I do like it but I don't like it that much. :lol:

S
squid posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 3:21 AM

Done with the clay.

He looks pretty happy about it. Sorry about not giving you some fingers yet.

Did I mention I'm a bit tired of making waves???

OOOH! LOOOOK! The mold fairy came!!!!

I'm sleeping in Sunday...Oh wait...it IS Sunday!

So bitchin'! (and he's got an outie belly button) The closed eyes make him look like he's rowing clouds in his sleep.

May the mold gods smile down on you and may your coconuts never hang further than your loincloth.

B

The "Cloud Rower" is da bestest Boss...may the plaster gods smile down on you this morning.

C

LOVE those details, Squid - very, very nice piece!!!!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

bravo
:)

On 2009-05-31 03:21, squid wrote:
Done with the clay.

Looks GREAT Squidly! Shapely...reminds me of Goldfish...makes me hungry...

You may be tired of cloud/wave thingies, but they look awesome! That's a beauty - can't wait to see how it ends up!

Killer Squid! Glad to see you posting your
magical creations! Great flow and negative space.
Looking forward seeing what happens next!

S
squid posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 2:21 PM

The mold fairy did good work.

We'll see how the wax comes out after it cools.

Hungry for goldfish now for some strange reason...

S
squid posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 2:25 PM

Almost forgot: Thanks Polynesiac for putting the "F" back in "ART". I will do my best to continue the resurgence.

Hi dave, I love it great job!!!!

now heres the test see if you can throw a stem and a carb on it!!! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 298 replies