Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

squid stuff in the works- PNG inspired drum pendants Pg 18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 298 replies

R

YAAAY! SQUID!!!

I am glad yer not hiding anymore & sharin yer work with us!

And don't worry about not writing chapters for each piece - sharin pics is enuff :D

S
squid posted on Mon, Jun 1, 2009 9:48 PM

Allrighty.... Detailing time.

A little cross-hatching on the moon

And wood grain on the boat

Gotta put this down for awhile. Stay tuned!

S
squid posted on Mon, Jun 1, 2009 11:04 PM

ATARIKI (first born) In the worx with the magic man, Gecko...

Top-knot is a lid with a recess for flaming booze! Not that I would ever suggest you light precious booze on fire and waste it. :)

I love the new Squid Art logo, NICE!

On 2009-05-31 14:25, squid wrote:
Almost forgot: Thanks Polynesiac for putting the "F" back in "ART". I will do my best to continue the resurgence.

3 dimensional art is good - but it's that 4th dimension that really sets it apart. Art in SMELL-O-RAMA!

Awesome detailing!!!!

Love the moai ATARIKI - but when I first read the name, my lame mind went straight to the image of a tiki as the joystick controller for the atari 2600!
Your Moai is WAY better!!!!!

Excellent Work!

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 6:03 AM

On 2009-06-01 23:04, squid wrote:
ATARIKI (first born) In the worx with the magic man, Gecko...

Top-knot is a lid with a recess for flaming booze! Not that I would ever suggest you light precious booze on fire and waste it. :)

WOAH!
........MUST........have.......flaming moai..........SO COOL!!!!!!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 7:19 AM

Master Squids,

Ya'all is just tearing this sh*t up man! Your my hero!

More, MORE!......please.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 1:21 PM

Can't wait to see this flaming mug.

S
squid posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 2:05 PM

On 2009-06-01 23:18, Bora Boris wrote:
I love the new Squid Art logo, NICE!

That's what I was waiting for. An unsolicited thumbs-up. I'm keepin' it then.

Your check is in the mail Boris. :)

I dig that moai mug, Dave! I love the '50's-'60's quality of your logo too. It has the style of the sign I remember from Spartan stores when I was a wee kid outside of Detroit.

S
squid posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 10:53 PM

On 2009-06-02 21:33, Sam Gambino wrote:
I dig that moai mug, Dave! I love the '50's-'60's quality of your logo too. It has the style of the sign I remember from Spartan stores when I was a wee kid outside of Detroit.

Thanks Sam! Think "Hawk Model Company"

S
squid posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 10:55 PM

This just in...

CJ

On 2009-06-02 22:55, squid wrote:
This just in...

Reign and me think you are great

I see that now! That look is timeless to me. I like those old Kreml hair ads - they're different than Hawk Model Company, but I love the look too... Do a search of "Kreml hair".... Hilarious stuff!

P

that's simply incredible. the work and detail on the chin are amazing.

LT

On 2009-06-02 22:55, squid wrote:
This just in...

Holy crap dude - that's awesome! I like that new logo too; the diamonds remind me a bit of a bowling ally sign I used to see when I was a kid.

LOL Tiki!

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2009-06-03 00:02 ]

That moai really is beautiful! Here I am talking about Kreml hair ads while you're posting kickass moai... :)

TB

Wow! very impressive! I love it!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 2:29 AM

Wow, that Squid/Gecko collaboration is great.

Seems like everybody's artwork has recently stepped up a notch or two.

umm,...WOW!!! :o

BEAUTIFUL emerging Moai, man!

-Andy

Squid and Gecko are like
Andre the Giant and Rowdy Roddy Piper combined!
WHACKOW!

Best take on a Moai Mug ever!
EVER!

Awesomer than GROG!
:)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 9:29 AM

so much depth and dimension
packed into such a small area

C

Oh wow, very inspired piece! The new one very nice too, I hope you'll stay around for a while, Congrats!

B

Just found this thread and WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW

You're killing me with those perfect designs.

Benjamin.

Somethings been buggin me... Why did you do the detail work on the Rower AFTER you cast it?

S
squid posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 1:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Benjamin, thanks for stopping by! I just found your thread and WOW! Really nice work. Between you, Baï and Laojia, France is overloaded with tiki talent.

AlohaStation: Hurts the brain, don't it? Let me 'splain it it to you Lucy :) The casting is the second step to produce a master model. Production molds will be made of that when it's fully tweaked.

The casting is a very rigid tooling wax. You can machine it, file it, sand it and cut in really tight detail without fear of mushing what you've already done. Plus you can fill in holes or add to the form with a wax pen. It's basically a precision soldering iron with variable temperature. Hope that clears up the technical stuff :)

Coco Joe: I think you and Reign are just great! I'm working on the heroes of prog-rock mug series as we speak.

Hi Clarita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm yelling because I know you're very far away :wink:

Pdrake: Blame Gecko for all that awesome detailing. I'm just giving him a blank canvas. I think that relationship is turning out rather well. Plus, he is the Glazemeister General!

More pics (hopefully finished) tonight.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 1:37 PM

totally sweet

Squid Embellished Moais with Top Knots Assemble

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2009-06-03 13:39 ]

S
squid posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 6:33 PM

Mahalo TeaKey!

DONE!

Now it's time to row off to Taboo Island...

Very nice Dude .

"very rigid tooling wax"
You do that in public and you'll be sharing a cell with George Michaels and Peewee Herman :lol:

Beautiful detail work!

Whew!

Look at the detail work on that paddle!

Top notch Dave!

Marquesan fever is spreading across the country... loving it!

M
mp posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 11:14 PM

Holy crap Squid your on fire!
Awesome!!!!

T

Excellent! I can't wait for the color.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 6, 2009 1:20 AM

Mine!!

T

Stunning, just stunning.

What's your plans for glaze/finish?

Where does the queue [line] start, I've got my tent and flask of maitai...

Amazing peice, the detail and the diferent textures are fantastic!
I want one.

That turned out pretty spectacular, didn't it?

Beauty eh?

You are the master of finite detail!!!! that is insane!!!!

LOVE the wood texture.

P

thanks for all the info squid. if i may be so bold as to ask for some more . . . is the purple compound the "oomoo 30"? can you tell me what and where on the white wax. the blue and red wax i'm using make it a little more difficult to see details. thanks.

oh, and that cloud rider is freaking awesome. if you were to cast it with the resin mixed with the metal compounds you could make it look like a nice bronze or gold patina without the weight issues. one of my favorite pieces of yours.

WHEN YOU SAID YOU WERE ADDING DETAIL TO THE OARS AND MARQ
YOU WEREN'T KIDDING!
wow....
good stuff there,maynard!

S
squid posted on Wed, Jun 10, 2009 3:05 PM

On 2009-06-10 13:48, pdrake wrote:
thanks for all the info squid. if i may be so bold as to ask for some more . . . is the purple compound the "oomoo 30"? can you tell me what and where on the white wax. the blue and red wax i'm using make it a little more difficult to see details. thanks.

oh, and that cloud rider is freaking awesome. if you were to cast it with the resin mixed with the metal compounds you could make it look like a nice bronze or gold patina without the weight issues. one of my favorite pieces of yours.

Thanks P-
Yup, that's OOMOO 30. The OOMOO 20 or whatever it is sets up too fast for me. I'll PM ya on the wax info.

P

thanks, boy i'm glad i got the 30. i had a little issue when i was molding. i used a block of wood as an armature and the tape under it didn't hold. the whole thing floated up in the mold. i had to take it out and screw it down. barely made it in 30 mins.

wow....

S

That's just damn sweet Squid. Thanks for sharing and showing the process.

B

Squeeds, This has to be one of your Coolest pieces. Incredible detail and finish.

S
squid posted on Thu, Jun 11, 2009 4:05 PM

Thanks again for all the positive reinforcement!
Benz, get out here to Oasis!!!!

While the Cloud Rower is off to Mo-Eye for casting and framing experimentation (he IS a certified mad scientist) I've had a chance to work on some pendants. I'm shooting for having these available by Tiki Oasis in the Artist's Alley, also known as Surf City Skid Row.

Since I couldn't make it to Hukilau, I thought I'd bring a little bit of Florida to California.

Cannibal inspired by Mai-Kai and Doug Horne.

And another one inspired by the Mai-Kai decanter.

Mo-Eye is playing with these as well. I'll keep you updated...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 298 replies