Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki is taking over the whole house!

Pages: 1 23 replies

It's official! It started in the back bedroom, which became the tiki bar. Migrated to outside, then when we ran out of room in the tiki bar, we created the Tiki lounge, and took over the IH Scout room (in progress) and now, our latest project is shelves flanking the fireplace so we can bring in the tiki :) The shelves are not tiki, but we're over half done and it gives the living room a more mid century look (in my eyes since our house is no where near mid century style). It makes the room look much bigger too!

We'll finish the shelves tonight (hope to)

Before shot, our 3-legged mutt Woody is here to supervise!

We bought the wood at Home Depot, painted it and cut it to size with a very old saw that smoked like crazy when we cut the wood, but it did the job.

We spray painted the brackets to be more invisible, I'm so glad we did.

We tossed a few mugs on, haven't organized the collection yet but wanted to get an idea of how it would look. I think it turned out great for a couple of novices :)

We plan to mount the tv to the wall on a swivel so we can get rid of the cabinet and put the components on the shelves.

My husband was thinking of puting in a mantle accross, but I think it looks better without it. Plus, if I could find a nice centerpiece to put on the rock, like a Trader Vics logo mask or something, I think it would look better...

What do you think? Mantle or not??

Mahalo!

Looks good Mookie. I vote "No Mantle".
Nice board hanging on the wall! Have you seen these board holders: http://www.tropicalislanddecor.com/home.html
Aloha,
:tiki:

T

Double vote on NO mantle.

Get a nice 3 foot Bosko Mask on there...it would look perfect. . Something abstract and modernist...his forte'

http://www.tikibosko.com/tikimasks_redwood.html

That's what I would do anyway. :)

BTW...welcome to the "Tiki has taken over my whole house" club. :D

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-06-09 10:27 ]

Tikiyaki, I like the Moai Ha'a, that would look nice! And Tiki Royale, thanks for the board holder link, those are really nice, I bookmarked the site...

Lookin nice, and I have board envy!!!!!

T

On 2009-06-09 10:45, TikiMookie wrote:
Tikiyaki, I like the Moai Ha'a, that would look nice! And Tiki Royale, thanks for the board holder link, those are really nice, I bookmarked the site...

Cool. Bosko has been around for a long time, and has a very unique carving style. Witco-like, but still very original.

Please post more pics as you get this room going. I really like red and black motif you have going....You can throw in some old school Chinese styling in there as well with that color scheme.

Lookin' real nice Mookie! I thing yer pullin' off the midcentury look just fine.

T

Lookin' good guys. We'll have to get an invite to see it in person sometime soon... :wink:

I agree with the others, no mantel. Woody is cute!

I'm liking it. Especially like the Bear Surfboard. Any idea how old? I have a 9'6" Dewey Weber and a 10'2" Hobie Slug myself.

H

I agree, no mantle.

Here's a thought that is decorative & functional to tiki the shelves up. Use something like Tiki Bosko's molding on the front of the shelf (1x4 cut in half maybe) to act as a lip to keep the mugs from slipping off during the next quake - or the accidental bump.

BK

WOW! Looks great. I love the wall color & the black shelves & that Schlitz light totally rocks! I could go either way on the mantle, but that Bosko mask sounds like a great idea. Looking forward to the finished pics.
Mahalo,
Rick

Very nice, keep up the good work. I knew the surfers would hoot over the Bear Surfboard, verrrry nice, what breaks do you surf?

Wow...that is striking...great colors and style. I agree, no mantle, think it would make the fireplace look chopped up. Keep up the great work...board looks awesome.

L

Wow wish I could build something that looked that nice!

Great job.

On 2009-06-09 18:45, bananabobs wrote:
Very nice, keep up the good work. I knew the surfers would hoot over the Bear Surfboard, verrrry nice, what breaks do you surf?

HA!! Sorry, had to laugh at "what breaks do you surf"? I wish... We're in the valley in Northern CA and we actually drove to Santa Cruz one day about 5 years ago in search of a longboard to hang over the long couch, strictly as art! We bought it new and it's a beautiful board. I guess we have the Hawaii thing bad!

(we did take surf lessons in Maui once, so technically, I did surf) :) And I do have a tank top I had autographed by Robert August in Huntinton Beach, I was stoked by that!! I love surf movies!

Looking good there and I agree with Tikihula, in person would be much better!

I can commiserate with your plight. Now that I have filled the living room, large bedroom and smaller bedroom with tiki and the closets are overflowing, I am now debating on selling off my robot and space toys along with my train collection. Not that the trains would free up any space in the house, everything currently resides in the garage.

I am also thinking about hosting a garage sale for excess tiki at the house during the next Swantiki event, so if any of you locals or out-of-towners would like to bring some stuff over, we can sell and trade our multiples or overflow on one of the days Swantiki happens. I know I have plenty to part with!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-06-10 09:34 ]

On 2009-06-09 20:20, TikiMookie wrote:

On 2009-06-09 18:45, bananabobs wrote:

HA!! Sorry, had to laugh at "what breaks do you surf"? I wish... We're in the valley in Northern CA and we actually drove to Santa Cruz one day about 5 years ago in search of a longboard to hang over the long couch, strictly as art! We bought it new and it's a beautiful board. I guess we have the Hawaii thing bad!

(we did take surf lessons in Maui once, so technically, I did surf) :) And I do have a tank top I had autographed by Robert August in Huntinton Beach, I was stoked by that!! I love surf movies!

You have probably seen the movie Big Wednesday, and thats why you had an appreciation for the Bear surfboard. I like the red and black colors against the tan rock fireplace if it was brick that color might not have worked. Incorparating bamboo into any room goes a long way also, espesially if your want to continue with the Hawaii theme. Something as simple as framing the doorway with bamboo you could probably get at Cost Plus if you dont have access to a place as stocked as Oceanic Arts.

MT

On 2009-06-09 10:25, tikiyaki wrote:
BTW...welcome to the "Tiki has taken over my whole house" club. :D

Yes, welcome to the club! Like the rest of us, I bet it happened right under your nose. You just kind of turn around one day and wonder what happened!

My moment of realization came right after the Trader Vic's warehouse sale, when I posted this segment entitled "When Tikis Take Over Your House.":

Last stop, Casa de Mai Tai, where we unloaded 3 tikis.

The last one was so heavy, that it required all three of us to move it.

This last group of photos I like to call "When Tikis Take Over Your House."

Tikis in my dining room. Ray owns the two on the left, mine is the extremeley heavy one on the right.

Trader Vic's warehouse schwag scattered in my living room. I can spot a Trader Vic's bar stool, and on the coffee table I see a fogcutter mug, port and starboard mugs, coconut mugs still in their boxes, various restaurant ware, and some Mama Gruber swizzles and Christmas Menehunes, to name a few things. And a very tired TikiTastic.

Three more bar stools from San Francisco, one small and two large fish floats, giant clam shells, and a bag of ceramics, including a helmet shell mug, and menehune compote, and a pig mug. Oh, and Ray's NY tiki in the background, with his two other tikis as well, under safe lock and key here at Casa de Mai Tai, until he is ready to pick them up. Until then, they are mine. Mine, mine mine! (Just kidding, Ray. He knows where I live, and I understand he is fairly handy with a flaming rum molotov cocktail!).

I'm going to have to agree with PTD and Tikihula, your place is going to have to be examined up close in person! Is there going to be another Sacramento Home Bar Crawl? :D

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.