Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

I Bet You Can't Move A Topic To Bilge

Pages: 1 25 replies

W

I know that I am powerless to stop you and I doubt I could get you started either but let's see if buttons work.

Here is an ancyent and olde topic that had apparently been doing fine in the bottom depths of the General Tiki forum.

Much like the corpse of a would be hit man I once knew for 12 minutes this topic has bobbed to the surface of the General forum and is just floating around there. It belongs in Bilge.

There is this button sorta thing called U-Moderate (the "U" stands for "you") and you can select a forum where you think a topic should go and then...

YOU GET TO PUSH A BUTTON!

And somewhere an angel monkey gets it's wings.

At this point I was going to suggest you go to the thread "Woofmutt drop me a line off list" and U-moderate it to Bilge. But I don't think you can figure out how to do it.

And even if you could I doubt you have the guts.

There are a lot of buttons in the world and most of them go unpushed cuz the world is full of mindless candy ass whimps much like you who are afraid if they push the button they might mess up their $40 nail job.

I'd go push the button myself but I'm busy making Tuna Helper Tuna Tetrazzini while watching my video tapes of According To Jim and trying to pick what color of Banded Short Sleeve Mesh Polo shirts I want to buy from Lands' End to wear to the big Parrothead Weekend out on Vashon Island which is going to be awesome cuz there will be three different Jimmy Buffet tribute bands playing at the same friggin time on four different stages!

Oh man! If you don't go press that button that means you are totally like me (Do you like Rascal Flatts, too? So cool!) We could, like, totally be best friends!

Well I'm no mindless candy ass wimp! I went to the thread in question, I selected "Move to Bilge", and I pushed the button on the lower right to register my vote. I got a message that said "Thank you for nominating this thread as "Cool & Current"

Not really! (But I have done that before, you have the hit the "Vote" button to the lower left instead of the button on the lower right :)

W

You bastard.

:D

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 13, 2009 11:34 AM

GROG with you Woofy.

GROG understand about how hard it is to get people to do a simple click. GROG trying to get people to go to this website: http://tinyurl.com/p8nojd (click this link) and then click VOTE. Two simple clicks and it will help GROG' niece to have a chance of winning a $500 scholarship. Some people have helped, but we need more, because now she has dropped down to 26th place. At one time we did get her to 15th place, but the lack of persistent clicking has dropped her to 26th place.

It's not that hard. 2 simple clicks.

GROG, I'm with you too. I vote every day that I see your reminder but some days I just don't see your reminder. I think you need to post more often and in more places.

i vote we move GROG'd thread to BILGE!

I say we ask Hanford to reprogram the link to the Nominate for Cool & Current button to GROG's niece's smile competition link (http://tinyurl.com/p8nojd) so we can influence the course of destiny and get her a $500 scholarship, just because we have the power of Tiki.

I'll do what you said if you do what I said.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 15, 2009 11:47 AM

GROG voted again today to U-mod move topic to bilge, Woofy.

Bump for the record.

W

U-Mod apparently doesn't actually work.

What works is constant whining messages to the Powers That Be.

Or get Zeta to post on the thread.

Ha, ha, ha!!!

This has been great fun.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-10-10 17:04 ]

MT

I Bet You Can't Move A Topic To Bilge

So far, that's been my experience!

(Also, it has been my understanding from the Big Kahuna himself, HL, that the U-Mod feature is broken, and doesn't work. That was a good long while ago. Can anyone verify if this is still true?)

The Talkback: U-Moderate thread where maybe all questions about whether U-Mod is breaked or not can be answered.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Oct 11, 2010 12:35 PM

Who needs my services?

Link Removed after a little pre tiki drinking and thought -

But my point is that if I hadn't removed the link, then the statement below would be valid.

"Respect" that?

And with the above link, not only have I moved a topic to Bilge, I've unlocked it for further discussion.

Amazing!

You know what? I'm going to light up, right here, right now, and smoke!

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-10-11 13:23 ]

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-10-11 14:23 ]

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-10-11 14:23 ]

TK

i can't pass judgement like that on a subject or thread. no banning to bilge from me.

sadf

On 2010-10-11 14:56, talo ka wrote:
i can't pass judgement like that on a subject or thread. no banning to bilge from me.

You're right.

The discussion point that woofmutt is making, I think?, is that it is ironic when a person begins a thread, erases their comments, calls for the thread to be locked down and then continues to post on the thread.

In a thread called http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8210&forum=7&start=90&hilite=respect the conversation breaks down and deteriorates even while important points are being made. The thread is then locked down and the discussion is lost to antiquity at the bottom of the tiki well.

However, history being what it is, repeats itself. Wise historians learn from the past and go back and "check their history". What better way than to go to the source and pick up where the conversation left off.

When threads are locked, history can be forgotten. An argument can be made that this is the way history has always been. However, we live in a "new" age - an age where discussions can continue for centuries or even beyond by simply allowing people to pick up a discussion where others left off.

Think about it. Imagine being able to join a conversation begun by Daniel Webster, Jefferson, Caesar, etc. You get the point.

Yes, I can imagine their will be times when threads are locked for who knows what reason. But, should they remain locked?

Seriously, I am a bit miffed that I didn't get to finish my conversation with Lucas about the superiority quitters (people who quit smoking) often exhibit to people who choose to participate in smoking or other vices.

I was hoping to discuss how this own website, Tikicentral, is in some ways, no less a vice than smoking.

But at last, the thread was locked. And slowly, it vanished away.

Democracy is fundamental to freedom. Freedom is not simply having nothing left to lose - to recall Chris Christopherson. It is fundamental to our ability to self-actualize. And that, to me, is what tiki represents.

Okay, I am way off topic, but let me finish. John Dewey held the belief that only the rich could experience true democracy because they were the only ones who can afford "leisure" time. The pursuit of leisure time is a fundamental reflection of whether an individual actually has a democratic state of being.

To put it simply, "Are you able to enjoy escaping in a manner you want to?" If the answer is yes, you are experiencing a benefit of democracy. You are able to choose how you spend your time.

The argument actually goes deeper than that, but to me, this is one of the fundamental aspects of tiki. It is a reflection and an effect of being in a state of democracy.

Locking the thread is not.

You know what, I guess you can move a thread to bilge.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Oct 11, 2010 5:43 PM

Whoa! Is there a tiki war going on?

:wink: If you cross me,I will U-MOD ya to Hell! :wink:

On 2010-10-11 17:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
:wink: If you cross me,I will U-MOD ya to Hell! :wink:

This is exactly why I love tiki.

Forget the fountains, bridges, tropical flowers, exotica music, women, and mugs....

Well, forget all of the above except the women's mugs

This is why I love tiki.

You know what? I'm going to light up, right here, right now, and smoke!

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-10-11 18:27 ]

I am happy to have been of service!
Now just don't be wasting that Falernum in those Margaritas!
or I will U-MOD ya to HELL!

On 2010-10-11 18:34, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I am happy to have been of service!
Now just don't be wasting that Falernum in those Margaritas!
or I will U-MOD ya to HELL!

I'm thinking perhaps in some lemoncello...

hmmmm, lemoncello and falernum.

Pages: 1 25 replies