Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lake Tiki - Tiki Oasis 2009 - Huge thanks for all the support!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

In 9 days we begin our journey.

A trip that will take us 2300 miles each way, over fertile farmlands, rolling prairie, rugged mountains, and dry dusty deserts finally delivering us to our destination with the Pacific Ocean within sight.

TIKI OASIS 2009!

This is Lake Tiki's first Tiki Oasis, and we're very excited to be a part of it!

Since December of last year, 100 pieces have been created for our debut at Tiki Oasis, many pieces exclusive to this year's event!

And I've got the calluses to show for it! :)

In addition to our 2009 South Pacific Secrets Collection, we will also have some other special collections at this year's event.

Watch this thread for some more previews in the week to come, and we look forward to seeing you in San Diego!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-18 01:00 ]

MORE! MORE! I want to see more!

don't be such a tease,Dave!
you got a little more than 70 to post!

show-n-tell!

But wait Ken, there's more! :wink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-07-30 23:03 ]

Celebrating the art of Papua New Guinea, I've created a collection of handmade Gope Boards and traditional figures with a twist of Polynesian Pop.

Stop by early for best selection!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-03 23:49 ]

L

Your work is the main reason why I am bummed not to be going to Oasis!

I want pics of the Tiki Temples before you sell them all Lake...so make sure you take 'em. :)

I am sure you will come back empty handed!

Thanks leleliz, and no worries, I will take plenty of pictures!

SO stoked to see all these pieces up close and to finally meet you, Dave. Should be a complete blast. You should finally get the summer weather you guys have been missing out in Wisconsin lately!

CHEERS~

Andy
http://tikijoesocean.com

Aloha Andy!

It will be a pleasure to meet ya in person, and we can talk all about Brew City and know what the other is talking about. :wink:

Looking forward to the summer weather also, I can't wait to get to Arizona and get me some of that 110 degree heat! :D

Still stuck in a cool and wet pattern here while you steal all our warm air up there in the NW!

See you in Sand Diego!

Celebrating the art of The Hawaiian Islands, I've taken inspiration from the "Kona style" This is the classic style of Hawaiian sculpture, and its influence was certainly felt by carvers of nontemple images. The main features of the Kona style are an increased head size and hair elaboration, faces dominated by snarling mouths and extended nostrils, parallel grooves to represent beards and eyes dislocated into the volume of the hair.

A wide variety to choose from, stop by and check 'em all out!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-03 23:50 ]

One of my favorite types of Oceanic Art is that of the Marquesan Islands. Work inspired by them makes up 70% of what I carve.

I'll have a wide variety of Marquesan inspired pieces from wall hangings to 4 foot mini poles.

Please stop by early for best selection!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-03 23:50 ]

Fire is a primitive element.

Rituals revolved around it, it was used to conquer, it was used to give life.

The glow of a flickering flame in a tiki bar adds a special kind of ambiance, and taps into the primitive element.

I invite you to check out the Island Fire Collection, with an added piece, "The Fire of Moorea" just for Oasis!

You are what some would call a tiki tease.

:wink:

In less than 2 weeks, all will be revealed!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-05 08:06 ]

Lake,can't wait too see what you bring to Oasis!

Thanks kustomtiki!

Looking forward to meeting you!

Another "sneak peak" tonight... stop by and check it out!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-05 08:06 ]

T

Watch out for this guy , every piece gets better than his last . Clean lines !

Tiki-Ray, many thanks for da props, I really appreciate it!

Hope to see ya at Oasis!

The Polynesia • The Aloha Isle • Fatu Hiva Hideaway

I'm packing them with a delicate hand and hoping they make the trip in one piece!

Three detail packed Tiki Temples are coming with me to Oasis. One inspired by a real establishment, two of my own imagination.

I had hoped to make more when I started these back in January, little did I know the countless weeks that I would spend on each one of them.

Each of the three was hand built from scratch, using as many natural materials as possible, and putting painstaking detail into each one.

Each one is a very special, one of a kind work of art, and I'm very excited to bring them to Tiki Oasis.

I'll be back at them again this winter, when the biting wind and swirling snow is upon me, and there's nothing to do but hunker down in the studio!

Thanks for checking out my "sneak peaks!"

I look forward to seeing you all next weekend at Tiki Oasis 2009!

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 9:07 PM

Dave you're working to much and not surfing enough. Let's party bro...!!!

L

I hope you took pictures of the finished temples!

Great body of work..its going to be impressive to have that on display all together.

Great images and carvings. Can't wait to see all these in person.

T

WOWOWOW!!! Lake, these are looking good! By the time I can get away from my hut at Oasis, I'm afraid all your artwork will be gone, Hopefully you'll have complete photos! Great stuff! I'd say good luck, but you don't need it!

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks to KuKu, leleliz, Tiki Charlie and tikitony!

I appreciate all the kind compliments!

Just finished boxing up the last of my work!
Hope there's room for our luggage!

Kevin, no waves to surf here. Hope you can produce a good swell for me to surf the Monday and Tuesday after Oasis!
Before that, party we shall!

Liz, no worries. Plenty of great photos of the Tiki Temples to share after Oasis. Can't give 'em away yet. :wink:

Tiki Charlie, look forward to meeting you in a week!

Tony, thanks!
Stop by if you get a chance, I look forward to getting a look at your new work also!

Back to packing!

TWO

One word....AMAZING.
Jesus Dave, when do you sleep?
I'm not into doin' testimonials, but as the proud owner of quite of few of Lake's carvings I can tell you the pictures don't do them justice.

Prepare to be blown away.

Some artists are content pumping out the same pieces over and over, not Lake.
Always something new, always...well, AMAZING.

A Lake Surfer Cheerleader? Fuck yeah I am.

CL

Beautiful stuff! Can't wait to see it at Oasis!

Damn Jim, many mahalos!

I'm just honored to be a part of your impressive collection!

For the most part I think that's all I did all year was sleep and carve tikis. :wink:

A vacation is much needed!

Coco Loco, thanks so much for the kind compliment!

I look forward to seeing you in San Diego!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-07 14:00 ]

This collection is really over the top. I just finished packing it all into the Town & Country... stuffed to the gills!

Brave that hangover ( I know I will :wink:)
and get down early Saturday morning for best selection!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-07 14:01 ]

MR

Can't wait to see the stuff in person.

B

Awesome stuff as always. Look forward to checking it out in person.

Thanks so much Matt and Ron!

It will be good to see you guys again next week!

:tiki: Happy Trails Lake, while headed out West... :D

For those that have yet to see Lake Tiki's razor sharp carves...ya better get to his booth PRONTO at the TO9 Marketplace! This Midwest chisler let'z da kine chip'z fly!!! :D Primo tiki for insanely affordable $$...buy! Buy!! BUY!!! ...make da buggah wish he'd chopped 200 hundred pieces!

bum-ba-dee-da-bum-ba-dee-da-bum-ba-dee-da... Happy Trails to You... :wink:

Many Mahalos Jonesey for da kind props!

Wish you could make it to Oasis this year, you'll be missed!

"Happy Trails" how fitting as I type from a Tulsa, OK layover. :)

Off to New Mexico Sunday!

Lake, I ready like your carvings, look forward to seeing them in person, and maybe meeting you.

Rockin THE FREE WORLD, Lake!

But...only 100 new pieces?

i am disappointed...

i would expect that from the amateurs
but not you!
:lol:

couple more days,buddy!

Been watching your Tiki Teasers. Can't wait to see them in person. Are you going to take Credit cards or just cash?

KiltedTiki, thanks for stopping by!
I really appreciate the compliments, very kind of you!
Stop by my booth, I'll be there!

Ken!

Wait until you see what 100 looks like!
It has been a bit cramped on the drive across the country!

Not long now until we're throwing shakas at each other!
Stoked to see ya again!

bgodzillagirl, thanks for stopping by!

I hope to get set-up for Paypal, I'll know more when I check-in on Friday.

Another couple of states down, off to the Grand Canyon for Monday & Tuesday!

WOW Dave- you ARE stuffed! Never squinted so long looking at a checklist. Looks fantastic. Keep On Chooglin' & see ya this week, pally!

-Andy

Yessir Andy, we are stuffed!

Finally we get a break from all the driving and are spending the day at the Grand Canyon on Tuesday.

Back on the road Wednesday and on Thursday we get to unload!

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend, I'm sure you'll find something to take back home with you!

Plenty to choose from and something inspired from pretty much every South Pacific Island!

Phoenix tonight, nearly there!

It is hot here!

Just 2 days until the Tiki Oasis 9 Marketplace opens!

See you all at the Bali Hai Thursday!

Whew!

We made it!

See everyone tonight at the Bali Hai!

YAY!
LAKE'S IN THE HIZZ-ZAY!

Wow!

My first Oasis, and more fun than I possibly could have expected!

I had such a great weekend meeting everyone and sharing my creations with you!

Thanks to everyone who took home one or more pieces, and thanks to everyone for all the kind compliments!

You all inspire me with your wonderful support, and I hope you all enjoy your new tiki decor!

Still on the road for another 5 days, than it is back to the carving bench!

Mahalo!

Dave

CJ

it's your fault that your stuff is amazing

It was great chatting with you at the Vagabond and at T.O. You stuff is amazing . Your good people too .

Rock On Dave!! It was great talkin with you!!! Your stuff kicks total ass!!

It was cool meeting up with you Dave. I wish my budget permitted me to bring home more of your carvings!!

Have a safe roadtrip home man!

-John

Fantastic to finally meet you, Dave. Your art is even more impressive up close. The detail is truly mind-blowing. Thanks for those cool Marquesians, we love those guys. Next time, I wanna chat WAY more about Milwaukee~! Hope the rest of your trip goes well. All the best, pally.

Andy
http://tikijoesocean.com

Pages: 1 2 61 replies