Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Second Floor-a Bora Bora at the Enchanted Lagoon

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

K

Finally got enough done to post.

We started with a bonus room over the garage.

We ran low voltage wiring over the ceiling and randomly selected many places for lights to be wired in. I'm loving the SimFlame system. It creates 3 different channels of flicker in the lights so they don't all flicker simultaneously. You can set the speed and intensity of flicker, or set it to not flicker.

Progress shot. We did all the work ourselves, (except several areas painted by Crash), and got tons of bargains from Craigslist, online close-out sales, junk stores, etc.

Art by Thor in the background.

Window seat area. I think that basket is crying out for a Tiki Tony driftwood Toucan.

Ceiling tapa painted by Crash. Still need window valance trim

Detail of bamboo end caps. We ran rope light inside much of this bamboo trim at the top of the wall. Needed to cap it and found these pieces of furniture? at auction. They were beams with one of these at each end and we cut them off and mounted them to seal the light in. I know, these are Indonesian, but in my world a tiki room can be a little of a lot of things.

Bamboo fencing hides bookshelves.

Doors hide desk nook carved out of attic space. Now you see it.

Now you don't

Ship salvage lights in desk area

The Doug Horne print I won on his TC thread

His sketch for the print. My little tiki room surprise.

My bat... I mean tiki signal. If I ever need help drinking I'll turn it on. So if you see this, ya'll come on over!

Mahalo for looking!

[ Edited by: koitiki 2009-08-11 17:57 ]

[ Edited by: koitiki 2011-10-19 12:30 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 3:54 PM

So impressive. I just started mine. And just discovered Craigslist and boy is it ever going to help.

Absolutely beautiful! The Indonesian beams are cool, but the sketch behind the painting is pure genius!

M
mp posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 4:35 PM

totally excellent!

Bravo! Great job so far.
And the hidden sketch is brilliant!
Congrats on your new slice of paradise!

K

Thanks ya'll! TeaKey looks like you're off to a great start. You've got lots of mugs and stuff already. Keep us posted. Looking at everyone's tiki rooms here is a great source of inspiration to me. I'm in awe of the incredible work being done by both the pros and amateurs alike.

CJ

awesome job!

WOW!!! What a transformation. I really like the hidden room. Keep posting!

K

I was lucky enough to see Koitiki's tiki hideaway first hand. I gotta say it's quite impressive. The window seats are especially cool and the Doug Horne print with the hidden sketch adds a bit of mystery to the already beautiful decor. I can't wait to go back!

Wow! What a great room you created.

The hidden sketch behind the print is a fantastic idea, I've never seen that done before ... but then I don't get out much.

Great to see my art go to a good home. Thanks for sharing!

Nice work, you really covered all bases on this... now you just need flotsam and jetsam to hang! Like a driftwood toucan! Although the lemur might get territorial!

I'll make some small driftwood toucans tomorrow and post on my Marketplace page to see if you'd want it! Aloha

Nice looking space!

K

Thanks all!

Doug I'm glad I did good with your artwork.

Tony- I emailed you about the bird.

[ Edited by: koitiki 2010-03-04 18:58 ]

Wow, very cool transformation indeed, with great attention to detail. Hiding all the nasty work stuff was a nice touch too. As others have said, that hinged frame for Doug's art is a stroke of genius!

ch

W

I need a tiki signal.

And some tiki shark repellant but that's a different story!

T

Hey KoiTiki, that room is awesome!! Great job!! Gotta love spaces that have the peaked roofs already! Instant Hut!!
You covered everything and did a great job hiding the areas that are tricky to hide.
Do you think I will see the Tiki signal up here in Canada??

Mahalo, TabooDan

HJ

Outrageously hip and an inspiration for more work on this writer's tiki-theme music room Thank you for sharing!

Hey Koitiki, Nice meeting you at TikiOasis!—the Jacuzzi, Sunday night.

Wow! The room's looking great! Awesome job with the thatch and bamboo, and as we discussed, that much thatch ain't cheap!
Yes, like tikitony said you have MOST of the bases covered, but WHERE'S THE BAR? I thought it was a rule that all cool tiki rooms had to have a tikibar? Is it also hidden behind some secret door? :)
Keep posting pics, it helps inspire me to get busy on my tiki room!

K

Thanks everyone. Sorry for not checking this thread in awhile. Distracted by a relaxing weekend in San Diego. :) :)

EGT: The bar is still pending.
[ Edited by: Koitiki 2009-08-22 21:35 ]

[ Edited by: koitiki 2010-03-04 20:34 ]

H

Lucky us to have the opportunity to visit your fabulous tiki room multiple times! My favorite things are the changing lights, the secret bookcase doors, Crash's ceilings & the Indonesian end pieces. A bar sounds like a good idea. Keep checking Craig's List. Also Four Hands might have something-esp. during their quarterly warehouse sale. We found several tiki goodies at the last one. Second Floora Bora Bora is a GREAT name! Hulacat is going to sip a tropical concoction this evening & think about it some more. Meow!

A8

It's looking good! If you ever come to L.A. make sure you visit Oceanic Arts. I was told by the owner of Oceanic Arts that the Doug Horne picture that you have on your wall is inspired by the owners of Oceanic Arts.

K

On 2009-08-23 20:43, Agent 86 wrote:
It's looking good! If you ever come to L.A. make sure you visit Oceanic Arts. I was told by the owner of Oceanic Arts that the Doug Horne picture that you have on your wall is inspired by the owners of Oceanic Arts.

Mahalo! Had the pleasure of meeting Bob and Leroy a few months back. They were kind enough to chat with me a few moments and they did tell me about that picture. Here they're showing me the one in their office where Doug wrote their names under the monkeys.

BTW, got a cool light and a few other things there. You better believe every time I'm in LA I'm stopping by.

The wheel hubs are a great idea. I've never seen that one before.

Good luck finding them!

Very nice!! AND you got the number one MOST important factor in any tiki room: The ceiling! It looks great. It's the first layer..There is nothing worse/more boring/yuppie-half-assed/devoid of effort/gutless/balless than a white plain-Jane ceiling in what is -purported- to be a tiki room. It's like a brown M&M that foretells a terrible Mai Tai. A tiki room should be total immersion. Great job (I should expect that from someone who has decorated 747s for Saudi Princes). Now I just need to get you a bunch of quality flotsam and jetsam to hang up there!

On 2009-09-03 19:19, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Very nice!! AND you got the number one MOST important factor in any tiki room: The ceiling! It looks great. It's the first layer..There is nothing worse/more boring/yuppie-half-assed/devoid of effort/gutless/balless than a white plain-Jane ceiling in what is -purported- to be a tiki room. It's like a brown M&M that foretells a terrible Mai Tai. A tiki room should be total immersion. Great job (I should expect that from someone who has decorated 747s for Saudi Princes). Now I just need to get you a bunch of quality flotsam and jetsam to hang up there!

Amen.

Wow what an inspiration. Awesome room.

(What the hell am I going to do with my asbestos laden popcorn ceiling?)

Awesome job on that room, I dig the triple puffer lamp idea. Can't wait to see more of the room as time goes by.

sorry for the hijack here but

On 2009-09-04 13:34, LiddleLola wrote:
Wow what an inspiration. Awesome room.

(What the hell am I going to do with my asbestos laden popcorn ceiling?)

I have the same popcorn and wasn't going to strip it, no asbestos in mine though.

I'm putting up a bamboo grid and will be hanging netting and "found" items in it or get some tapa pattern fabric and use a grid to hold it up.
If some folks think its half assed so be it but when the dimmer is on low and the red lamps are lit it looks dark anyway (but still more light than in Frankies).

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-09-06 21:03 ]

Wow again and again. Wendy and Dan

K

Thanks again you guys. It means a lot to me coming from some artists whose work I admire so much.

K

Some new photos that include recent finds of Witco items from the defunct "Tiki" restaurant on S. Padre Island, TX and some TV items:

Artwork by Cindy Raschke aka Crash

Closer to actual light level

Artwork by Ray Reynolds aka Tiki Mango

Artwork by Doug Horne. Anyone recognize this lamp from an old post by Sneaky Jack?

Always a work in progress...

[ Edited by: Koitiki 2012-02-01 12:43 ]

Wow...the place looks awesome. I am in love with that monkey in the fez...he looks ever so comfy in that chair!!!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Oct 19, 2011 6:09 PM

Wow! Lookin' good!

Beautiful work. Those are some fantastic and iconic witcos you have there!

W

Amazing space, I could spend an eternity in there!

Great progress, the shape of that roof is perfect for a tiki hut.

Wow what a hide away! I really like it...makes me want to break into song... In the tiki tiki tiki room, in the tiki tiki tiki room... where the tigers sing words and the flowers croon...

Seriously though wonderful job! I love all the little touches like the hidden sketch. :)

K

Thanks y'all!

Very very beautiful!
Can you fit a bar in there somewhere, or did I miss it.

K

On 2011-10-21 11:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Very very beautiful!
Can you fit a bar in there somewhere, or did I miss it.

Haha. Yeah. Can a tiki room legally be in the Home Tiki Bars forum if it doesn't have a bar? While I was still thinking about the design and location of the bar, I found the Witco fountain on Craigslist and it came with about 15 other items at a screamin' good price. Once those items were installed, there was not much room for a bar.

I've been pleading my case for an expansion of the tiki room. This room was originally an attic area and is not plumbed. I'm hoping for a wet bar and ideally an outside entrance for access to the backyard where we hang out quite a bit around the pool when guests are over. (Or at least a dumbwaiter!) :)

WOW! That is a killer room!

Z

Fantastic work! I'm relaxing just looking at these photos. It must be mesmerizing in person.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-22 21:17 ]

Q

Amazing room Koitiki!!

Great job.

Looks like a great place to spend some time!

Second floors a winner

Wow, great job!
I'd love to see video showing the simflame in the room. I'd imagine it really adds to the atmosphere.

Absolutely gorgeous. The place has really filled out.
I must admit that whatever I have on the ceiling in my bar, I always think that it needs more clutter.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2012-02-21 05:13 ]

Looks great!

K

Thanks you guys.

MarkMyWords- I'll see if I can get the flickering to show up on vid. It's a subtle effect on the lowest setting.

Pages: 1 2 49 replies