Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lines, fake cops, and over-crowding

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

So I don't know how to put this but there's a fine line between a lot of people having fun and way too many people squeezed into a space the size of a postage stamp. I've been to Tiki Oasis the last three years and this by far was the least enjoyable. Before you jump down my throat read my post just so you know what bugged me. Let's start Thursday night at the Bali Hai. I tried to stand in line for my wrist band 2X before dinner, but the line was just too long and moving way too slow. When we went to dinner, I knew it'd be slow, but they obviously either changed their food supplier at the restaurant or changed it for the night because the food quality definitely wasn't what it was last year. It's cool if my dinner costs $8, but paying $17 for top ramen mixed with bird's eye frozen vegetables didn't do it for me. After dinner, you guessed it, the line was still too long to get a wristband, so I proceeded to stand in line for 45 minutes to get a drink. After that, I kinda had it so we went back to the hotel. The next morning I got up at 7am went to go get a coffee, and on my way past the pool, I noticed that almost all the spaces were taken up already, mind you, it's 7am. So I had to run up to the room, get my pool crap, and camp out to save a seat. Later that afternoon, I finally went to get a wristband, but nobody was passing them out. But that night is where the fun really started. The band was setting up, so I went to go check on the line status for the wristbands. I scoped it out, realized that the wait would be at least 45 minutes and began to walk back to get my wife. That's when four polyester clad security guards wouldn't let me get past them. This was it, thing about it, I'm paying $160 for a hotel room, and I AM NOT ALLOWED TO GO TO MY FRICKIN HOTEL ROOM. Are you F'n kidding me? I'm not talking about going to the stage area, I'm talking about going up to my hotel room or the swimming pool. That was ridiculous and I don't think anyone thought about the consequences of hiring outside "security" without giving them the one up on what was going on. If you went to the room crawls, you know most of the evening ones were so crowded that you couldn't even talk to the people hosting the crawl. I know that there was at least one "fight" which is inevitable if everyone's trying to be in the same place at once and there's not enough room. Basically, I see this event as being about quality and not quantity and there were way too many tickets sold to groups of people from at least 3 different hotels, and basically this experiment didn't work. That's why they limit tickets sales at events. Too many people just creates a mess. Oh and the "first come, first served" theory for hotel rooms sucked. Why the hell did they ask you to put room room preferences in your email, if they had no intentions of honoring those requests? I mean if I signed up months ago for the event shouldn't that carry some clout? This isn't southwest airlines. I also know that some people had rooms held for them all the way until Saturday, WTF? Otto, I love what you've done in the past, and I applaud your efforts this year, but for Oasis 10, either limit ticket sales, choose a bigger venue, streamline some of the details or do all three. Either way, wristbands should be included in the room price, and given to people as they check into the hotel. If additional tickets to the show are sold, on a limited basis, to people not staying at the hotel, they could be a different color and good only during vending and show times, and those people should not be allowed in the pool area. I'm sorry, but if your only paying $60 at the Motel 6 an I'm paying nearly 3 times that much, you should use your own hotel's amenities so I can use mine. Now if you read this far, you can either agree or disagree with me, but honestly that was the experience I had this year.

TT

A.M., you bring up some very valid points. There were too many people. The lines were too long especially the wrist band and mug lines. But I still had the time of my life. Otto and Baby Doe did and incredible job pulling the whole thing together. Will they do some things different next year? I kinda hope so. But If they don't, I'll have an even better time, 'cuz I know how to and don't let the small shit bother me. This is our third TO and they just keep getting better. Maybe you will have a better time next year if you stay home, read about it and look at the pictures.

I had an amazine time! I hear your concerns. I know that instead of just bitching you offered some suggestions. I think that logistically and maybe legally it needs to be seperate from the Hotel desk operations. I'm in the automotive industry and our "Trade Show" check ins are done at tables prior to the event. They do split the check ins via, Media, Industry, Talent, Vendors, Dealers etc. With separate lines for each. This year there was a separate line for VIP's (bands, DJ's, comps, volunteers, etc) Maybe next year there could be lines for A-H, I-P, Q-Z? This would also need more volunteers. Willing to step up?

Regardless, I think Otto, Babydoe and crew move mountains!

L

I think it' a great idea to have a thread here with any constructive criticism on T.O. for Otto and Baby Doe to be able to look at and get ideas on how to improve next year's event. They strike me as 2 people who will go to great lengths to make sure the positives way outweigh the negatives and having a list of things to keep in mind for next year is the best way to keep improving.

I would suggest not to "stay home, read about it and look at the pictures" however because you would be more unhappy if you missed it altogether.

With every event there are going to be issues that arise..like lines and overcrowding...at least this way they have been brought to their attention and hopefully by the time next year's event rolls around a solution will be found!

I just thought it was funny as hell that some of the security guards were armed, but none of them had radios or any way to communicate with one another. Security should also be a little more laid back in appearence. I was watching a couple of them strutting around with their chests out and shoulders back, walking through crowds of people trying to unload their luggage and/or goods. I had to walk off of the sidewalk with my dolly full of tools to let the big black one walk by. I asked if I was in his way.........all that and Tiki Dan still managed to smuggle his stuff in without paying for a booth.

Other than that, they were VERY effective. I saw them booting some creeps who had blue masking tape around their wrists and that fat kid with the B-O and the mohawk wasn't seen crowd surfing this year at all.

Yeah, it was crowded. Next year, some of you need to stay home. This should be settled with knife fights.

View my work @

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2009-08-16 21:42 ]

I have to say, I did not have any of the issues you mentioned. I had a great time at Bali Hai. Drink lines were long, but more like 10 minutes, so I just ordered two drinks per person. My hands were full but I never use them for anything else anyway. The wristband line was too long on Thursday, but I only stood in line maybe 20 minutes on Friday and spent the time talking with friends. I hosted a room crawl and about 70 people showed up. I was able to speak, at least briefly, with nearly everyone, and basked in the compliments of others the whole time. When I went to other room crawls I was able to get a drink, thank the host, and reach over the others to the tip jar. Once I even made change for a $20. If the room crawl was too crowded, I went to another room or just opened my own door and invited people in for a drink. I was unable to get into the pajama party, but that was my only disappointment of the weekend. I swam in the pool once, but did not sit in a chaise. Jumped in the hot tub and got out so others could have a turn. Lastly, the "fight" was just two kittens wrestling under a blanket. Or was that a stage dancer? Kinda tipsy at that point, hard to tell for sure. Lastly, the security people were very professional and that fabric is a cotton-poly mix. Drinks were drunk, fun was had, and peace was kept.

Thank you Otto, Baby Doe, Matteo, and all others who worked so hard, volunteered, or hosted a party suite or room crawl. I honestly think this was the best Oasis ever!

On 2009-08-16 18:40, Tuna Tiki wrote:
Maybe you will have a better time next year if you stay home, read about it and look at the pictures.

What pictures!?! there are only a few as of Sunday night!!!! ARRRRAGH!

BTW, I'm sure that you meant that nicely, about staying home, reading it and looking at the PICTURES? PICTURES? WHAT PICTURES?!?!? If it wasn't for Golden TiKi, I've got nothing!!!
You better bring the camera to work!

On 2009-08-16 21:15, Wersmo Derinc wrote:
I was unable to get into the pajama party, but that was my only disappointment of the weekend.

You guys didn't let Dave and Rebecca in? I guess you won't be playing with The Huntington Cads at the Purple Orchid now...

On 2009-08-16 21:05, Billy the Crud wrote:
.........all that and Tiki Dan still managed to smuggle his stuff in without paying for a booth.

They actually cannot kick TikiDan out, because according to TikiDan, he invented tiki...

I realize that lines were long, and sometimes tempers were a little short, but I'd like to put in my two cents from a VOLUNTEER's standpoint. My hubby Charlie and I put in a five hour shift at the wristband check-in table from 6:30 to 11:30 on Friday night. We took over from Susie, Adrienne, Kimmie, and her honey (I'm sorry, in the chaos, I didn't get a chance to properly meet you!), who were absolutely incredible. Adrienne kept her smile for her long shift ahead of us, and sometimes, despite the odds stacked against her, remained cool and collected. All day long on Friday, from volunteer orientation meetings in the early morning, to midnight on Friday night when we packed it in for the night, we watched Mateo (Hukilau Brown) doing everything in his power to try to keep hot-under-the-collar tempers down. He was the ultimate "Go-to Guy." He never left that line all day and all night. Yes, it got long, and yes, some of you might have had to wait. But we watched the lines, each and every one of them, and for the most part, people made the best of it. What good is complaining when you're here for a happy time? People got to know people and had GREAT conversations. The people who had the best of the Aloha Spirit simply got themselves a drink, stood patiently in line, and talked story with the others in the same boat. It might have moved slowly at times, but please remember that this boat was running on VOLUNTEER steam! For the hundreds of people who were checking in on that Friday night and who had to wait, maybe only 3 got a little ugly with me, but by the time we got their names and bands, and I woo'ed them with my amazing Aloha Spirit and fabulous Hawaiian smile ::wink wink::, I think they were a little embarrassed that they had any beef at all and toodled along to have the time of their lives. Some who had to come back to get their mugs, met NO line at all, thanks to amazing runners like Chaz. Again people, VOLUNTEERS, who, by the way, also had to stand in long lines too!

In Hawai'i, we have a saying; "If can, can. If no can, no can." Meaning, if you can do it, we'll be happy and enjoy the time with you. If you can't do it, we'll be sad, but we will understand." Well Mateo took that saying, and bent over backwards to make the "no can" part into a "can" part for people. In the 'ohana way, he turned unhappy into happy. As far as I am concerned, he became an honorary Hawaiian to me that very night. And that's what we watched him do all weekend long. I watched other volunteers doing the very same thing time and time again all weekend long. Even when our shift was over, and even though the entire weekend was a work weekend for us, we never took off our VOLUNTEER caps. If there was a need somewhere, as we watched Mateo mentor for us, and as Baby Doe asked all of us to do, we wore our volunteer badges proudly. If someone needed something, we tried to do it for them while still trying to take care of our own things. THAT is the kind of effort that made things work.

I realize that some people came a long way, and spent hard-earned dollars to be there. But honestly, please remember that some people came a long way, and spent hard-earned dollars to be there, and STILL worked their okoles off for no pay to try to make sure people had a great time. And some of us would do it again in a heartbeat because we saw a lot of heart and soul and the TRUE Aloha Spirit at work.

Amene (Amen)

P.S. - Shame on Tiki Dan for stealing our handtruck! Bad mana, Man. Bad mana. Mahalos to Jason at Smokin' Tikis for lending us his.

[ Edited by: TikiShopPua 2009-08-17 08:46 ]

Due to work, I could only get to the Oasis for one day -Saturday. When I arrived, I was greeted by Matteo and his amazing team of volunteers who were being as sympathetic as they could to the disappointed people who they could not let in, because Oasis was sold out on Saturday. I had bought my ticket months ago, so I was fine, but they encouraged the others to come back on Sunday when vending was open to all.

I have been able to volunteer once before (when I had the luxury of being there for more than one day) and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If any of you are able to attend for all of Oasis, then please give back by giving a little of your time. Like The Hukilau and Tiki Magazine, Tiki Oasis is a labor of love. If we want these things to continue, we all have to give a little something back in the form of time, advertising, etc.

Like any pop-culture resurgence, things get more crowded the more people get hip to them. Tiki is experiencing this big time. The email blog, "Thrillist" posted this year's San Francisco Tiki Crawl and today posted about Tiki Farm. There's your proof. The stuff we love and felt so totally cool and underground about is now on Thrillist. I'm not sure how we feel about this, but there we are.

The main thing I saw this year was everyone having, yet again, another fantastic time. I cannot speak for the drink lines or ticket lines, but maybe more drink booths can be set up and/or dividing up the ticket lines into an "A-H" etc. style might help for next year. I think having some security is a good idea, as long as someone from Oasis has a chat with them beforehand, reminding them of the spirit of the event. I was all dressed and ready to go to the pajama party, but was told the lines were out the door so I passed. Sorry I missed that, but they were very clear in their TC postings to "show up early" if you wanted to get in, and I was too busy playing hostess to get there ahead of time.

Otto and Baby Doe... all the volunteers... you are amazing. Thank you!

how did burlesque and tiki get mixed together????

As a vendor, I had a great time, but I heard the voices of the trade winds telling me the lines were too long for check in. Next year, maybe break the lines up by last name. A-M & N-Z This way, there's half the names to search through! That was Tiki Bob's idea!

Plus, a computer set up at check in might have made finding the names quicker, just use the FIND and type in last name, and put an "X" in.

Bongofury got his dolly stolen too!!! It was a nice fold up one!

As far as Vending goes, Casey Jones and DigiTiki were great! Couldn't ask for any better service from them! And Tiki Oasis has become a GIANT, and all that planning is appreciated by all, Thanks Otto and Baby Doe.

I wish I coulda just gone LOOKS like everyone hada great time maybe next year .

A
Abbi posted on Mon, Aug 17, 2009 11:31 AM

I had a blast all weekend. It wasn't perfect, and mind you the Martini Kings do not like bubbles. Other than that everything was great, crowded, but great. And mostly everyone was in a good mood, as they should be!

Our weekend was pretty close to perfect..I knew from past experience that the food at the Bali Hai was mediocre at best, so that wasn't much of a surprise. I did wait in line for drinks downstairs for the better part of an hour, but I met some cool folks, and the time went quickly. Of course when I got to the bar I got as many drinks as I could carry (2) so I didn't have to make a return trip. I figure that brought the average down to 30 min per drink. Our room party I think qualified as a smashing success..our time slot was 2-3 pm on Friday, but we had people hanging out until at least 10 pm. The "first come, first serve" booking rule worked in our favor..by showing up at 11:00 on Thursday morning, we got a choice 5th floor room overlooking the pool and the stage area. The one snag was that the hotel told us we could have a first floor room if we got there early enough, and then told us when we got there that Otto reserves all the first floor rooms for his guests. We were told to show up early for the Tikiyaki pajama party, so we showed up at about 11:20. What do you know, we were among the first 5 people in the room.We stayed for about 30 minutes there, and then moved on so people who don't live in SoCal could see the band, as they haven't traveled much. Things are pretty much what you make of them, if you let them get to you and fester all weekend, you're going to have a bad time. That means you need to drink more. We're already figuring out how to get our non-Tiki friends to get a suite with us next year, so we can host an even bigger room party!

..this always seems to be the case with any long running events...whether it's tiki oasis or viva las vegas , all events will get too big for their own britches eventually...they start small and local and as popularity grows and the participants spread the word on what a wonderful time they had, more people start to attend the events....and as an added aggravation, you get alot of looky loos that may be along for the ride...which is good for the vendors and promoters cause that translates into ticket sales and possible merchandise sales but it creates crowds and lines....and at what is supposed to be a laid back genre like tiki oasis, aggravation from lines and crowds can be a real drag on the vibe....i don't know what the solution is..maybe cancel tiki oasis, call it something else and start over in another town...okay, maybe not...but for as much fun as this sounded, i think i'll stick to the smaller events. I know they will work out the kinks eventually..it's just part of growing the event as the event grows itself....

S

This was my very first Tiki Oasis, so I don't really have much to compare it to. I have, however, gone to SXSW a ton of times and can certainly say that I've had a similar reaction (and frustration) to the "overcrowding,""long lines" and "disorganization" at an event that used to be a lot smaller.

That said, no matter what, I always have a TRULY PHENOMENAL time at SXSW (and I've been everything from the All-Access VIP badge holder to this past year where I didn't even have a wristband). So, despite the event getting huge, there's still a ton of fun to be had, no matter who(m?) you are or what level of ticket you have.

Thanks to the recession and pay cuts, we are on a bit of a budget this year. We couldn't actually AFFORD to stay at the Crowne Plaza, so our friends in San Diego offered their futon. When I found out the tickets had SOLD OUT, our fantastic SD friend headed to the Bali Hai VERY EARLY on Thursday nite and actually helped set up in order to be first in line for the few that were left. We got our wristbands that nite and were able to attend. Thus, a little "self-organization" can go a long way.

I understand that, if you're staying at the hotel, it would make sense to have a different wristband color or something so that the pool isn't overrun by a bunch of hotel non-guests. But, I wouldn't have wanted the security guys to bar my passage to the room crawl because of it. I still paid to get into the event and tipped handsomely at any room party we attended. It wouldn't have been the same if I'd been made to feel like a second-class citizen.

Our friends said that, in years past, no one was even CHECKING wristbands, so I think some of the issues you mention may be more related to the increased popularity of the event rather than the organization of it.

Every large-scale event is going to have issues. It just will. You put a ton of people, bands and booze together for a weekend party and some kind of sh*t will go down. I don't want to belittle the concerns expressed here because they are totally valid and should be heard. And I'm sure the organizers will take these things into account for next year's planning (and avoid them, where possible). However, I still think the T.O. organizers did an AMAZING job and I was incredibly impressed, overall, with the entire thing. Everyone was kind, cool, interesting and fun and I really appreciate how difficult it must be to put something of this magnitude together with any kind of finesse. So, for that alone, I'm a bit in awe.

On 2009-08-17 10:18, ron-tiki wrote:
how did burlesque and tiki get mixed together????

Burly-Q is boobies......tikis are man-junk. Do the math. I really do dig me some sex, man.

Hey, Bubbles is a nice girl, once you get to know her!

I have to say that this was my third Oasis, and first time volunteering, and yes I encountered some cranky people working the registration desk, but honestly the majority of people were happy to be helped and made it great. I had a blast working registration and shared a few of my opinions with Matteo to help streamline things for next year. If I have my way I'll be there again next year to see everyone get checked in :)

As far as overcrowding goes, I didn't see it as such a huge issue. You just had to know that the more desirable parties were going to have a big turn out. I would just load up my mug and head on over. Expecting I may or may not get in, but could drink and visit with people while we waited. I am all for sharing the wealth and was happy to hear some of the bands encourage people to move on to other parties to filter in more people.

I know that people have expectations based on previous years events, but I've learned that you'll never get the same experience twice, so you have to look at all the good moments and determine whether or not you think it's worth your attendance in the future... and for me it's a definite yes!

HERE HERE HULAHONEY!

I agree completely.

You get out of it what you put in. . . Just like a well balanced cocktail.
My recipe for Tiki Oasis fun is a positive attitude, and generous spirit and the ability to go with the flow.

Planning a huge event like this, and still allowing it to feel somewhat organic and unstructured is a HUGE accomplishment.
Roaming around with a mug full of happiness and running into new friends and old is my favorite part of Oasis.

Did I get into every room party I wanted to? No. Did I have a sweaty yelling shirtless drunk guy stick his armpit in my face while watching the Swank Bastards? Yes. . .
But that's just when you say "Okay! Next room party!"

As for the whole 'not staying at the Crowne Plaza' drama. . . I would have LOVED to stay there, but this has been a really difficult year for me financially. The only way I could budget coming to Oasis was to make alternate accommodations plans. I know this is true for MANY people this year. GREAT people who have been a part of the Tiki community and Tiki Oasis for years~ ESPECIALLY ARTISTS & MUSICIANS. T.O. wouldn't be the same without them.
It's hard for me to believe anyone 'couldn't use the pool' because of all the 'riff-raff' allowed to cheapen up the water. . . :wink:
I say the more the merrier for a pool party!
. . . and as a side note, if you are worried about the hotel, I think the weekend is great for them too, and I think Otto and Baby Doe are GODS for being able to arrange this kind of production there. Also, we spent quite a few clams at the Crowne on food and drinks. . . Sunday brunch was totally worth it by the way! ~ Mimosas and Martini Kings on a Sunday Afternoon. . . . perfection!

So my two and a half cents. . . lighten up! You're at Tiki Oasis!
Let the Aloha spirit flow and it will come back to you!

Can't wait for next year!

i kinda liked the rent-a-cops...
gave me an opportunity to shout
DONT TAZE ME BRO!
about 30 times....
:lol:

Oh, I'm sure they LOVED that Kenny! :roll:

P

I heard King Kukulele was real surly and beat up some kid.

On 2009-08-17 16:40, pablus wrote:
I heard King Kukulele was real surly and beat up some kid.

No-he TAZED a kid! :lol:

Suzy-man...tough crowd...maybe 1-3 smiles...and that was from our group! :lol:

I had a great time this year, but I always go to these events mentally prepared to deal with the crowds and the lines.

As said above, no one is really dissing the fact that lines are long, and they have been getting longer each year. The suggestions to split up the lines, and maybe bring a a computer seem valid.
Now, for something that could make me look like a jerk: We stood in line about 40 minutes on Thrusday afternoon, and I was watching what was going on at the registration table. The only two additional things I can think about is for the volunteers to be less nice, so chit chat is kept to zero, and that people put on their own wrist bands...no need for the volunteers to put wrist bands on for people. But then, people would complain the volunteers are not nice enough :)

Room parties:
No one tells anyone to post their room parties publicaly. If you don't like over crowded parties, just host your own and tell your friends. I've been in both kind of parties of the years, and both can be fun.

"Hotel guests only":
Like many others, I can't afford the hotel rates (and being that I live 5 minutes from it, it doesn't make sense to get a room anyway). I don't think that using the pool should be such a big concern in an event like this.

One thing about the sit-down dining area at the Crowne Plaza bar (between the lobby and the restaurant) - for some reason the management chooses to have only one server at the busiest time (they do that every year), that is something I'd be happy to see changed.

Ran

...and that was from our group! :lol:

You rabble rousers should just stay up in the hills where you belong. We don't need any trouble with you and your fake smiles. :D It was probably your kind that was the cause of all the problems.
Complaing to the service, "This skwerel smells like chickens!!" and "I dressed up in my Sundee PJs for this devil music?!!"

Anyways, I had fun! Ran served up great drinks, Queen K, AWESOME!! All the bands were great. The lines I stood in were the shortest ever. Must have been the timing. The tuna and chowder are usually the best at Bali Hai. I am sorry for anyone that had to see me naked at the pool. I didn't see the sign that said I had to wear swim trunks. :blush: Crowds? Crowds are one of the best ways for the ladies to touch your stuff. I never had so many ladies paw me in one night. Pretty sure my little wife would have thrown her first beat down. I am lucky. I mean those ladies are lucky! :)

My main issue was someone signed in for our vending booth!!!!!! That MUST end!!!!!! Vendor sign should be in a seperate room from guests. Maybe initial guest sign in could be in the symposium halls. Nothing goes on in there ThursDay & FriDay.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-08-17 17:45 ]

Z

i am a first time oasis person, and I had a very good time. I got the band and found a room next door at the '6, because I am soooo broke after driving down. anyway, I thought a couple of more bartenders on staff for thursday would'vr been a no-brainer, as well as more waitstaff in general at the crown... We had a wonderful time meeting fun people and going from small cozy rooms("GIANT SNAKE! GIANT SNAKE!) to jampacked and interesting venues. True, some rooms were a bit overfull, but there were some really great people to meet all around, so I didn't feel pressured to hit every room anyway. Hopefully I didn't crowd someone out of a room they wanted in to...
Anyway, I really enjoyed and appreciated TO 09. Otto & Babydoe deserve to be cannonized!

Mahalos,
Zero
"The guy in that jacket"

Wow, I sense some frayed nerves. I hate being preachy, and I don't do this very often but I have to say something to those of you who want to complain about things. 8 years ago I went to my first Tiki Oasis in Palm Springs, and was it perfect? - Not by a long stretch - power outages, crummy sound, lines for food... But I observed our hosts, Otto & Baby Doe and their few volunteers working hard to put on a great party for all 90 of us that were there.

I saw things that needed attention and instead of complaining about it I volunteered to help our the next year so that WE ALL could have a better party. I have volunteered every year since then and I'll tell you right now that there were issues we had to deal with every year that were unbelievably challenging and yet we made it through and made it better for the next year. Each year has a new set of problems that we are trying to get ahead of.

Tiki Oasis is growing like crazy and there are two ways for you to look at it and deal with; through inspiration or desperation. I myself choose the former. Please realize that the people that put on this event have regular jobs, families, and daily issues just like you do. The only difference is, that they come home from work and put in another 3-4 hours of planning, emails, calls and negotiating to put together a party for the enjoyment of the group. A cool thing for everybody to do would be to offer some "positive" feedback so we can crunch the info and make it better for all of us next year.

We need to have good constructive feedback in order to make this happen - and I know there are a lot of smart and talented people out there that can offer a great suggestion or two and help out the group. Please send us that info. Post it here if you want and I'll start compiling it. We have to work fast while it's still fresh in our heads, because it seems to fade pretty fast while we get on with our lives.

My experience this year - I busted my a** more that I ever have, but I had a great time meeting new people like Jim (Cutter) & his wife from Michigan; or Brad from Tualatin, Oregon; or Scarlett who was doing anything she could to make sure you were seeing a great show on stage; or getting up at 7am to see people at the pool in their pajamas waiting for spots to sun in; or going to the Twist Contest to see the room packed with people having a blast; cruising through the room party with the volcano in it and seeing some poor guy trying to get sleep in a closet with one of his legs sticking out (while 6 or more people lined up for photo ops with the unsuspecting sleeper) or seeing some of the old guard that have been coming year after year to this cool event. I had a blast!

I have my own set of issues that I observed that I will definitely be thinking of how to deal with for the next one. I am just thankful to all of you that volunteered to help put on this cool party and keep coming back to volunteer year after year.

So, if you want to whine about how bad it was this year, my suggestion is to stay home next year. If you want to help us put on a great party next year please volunteer and help put a few of hours in on the event so we can all have a great time.

Jim Giddings

R

since we all pay to come to tiki oasis .maybe otto should hire some help experienced in crowd control instead of using all volunteers..just a thought.

T

OK I have to share something too! I rarely got to get outta my space!! When I did... I was starved for a burger at the outdoor BBQ grill! So....Get my burger...FINALLY after a BIG line of drooling Tikifite's and low and behold, TRIP over one of Buzzy's darn Tiki's just across the path and lose my patty to the pavement Pele'..cheese and all.... MORAL??? Buzzy jix's burger buyer's until you get your picture taken with his damn "Chippin' Males" photo!!! I welcomed my own fate!! Be warned for next year ALL!!! Other than that!!! What a magical time with the warmest of Ohana I could ever imagine!! ( Just kidding about the tripping!!..I just love Buzzy and Zaya and wanted to be a lil' devil here....I passed on the burger line and got a crappy B.L.T from the bar!)

Oh...and Afkarp's Moai!..I applaud YOU and your courage for just expressing yourself and the things that were frustrating. You have made it clear that this is what happened in your case and it spoiled the spirit for you. Great solutions DID come from this thread and I know the result will be positive. We are all like a family..sometimes we spat or express things over the dinner table that get hot. But we will make through and all just make this Oasis thing grow like hell. I just wish we had another Oasis in half the time..cus I will miss friends and the darn fun. Thanks Otto and Baby Doe as well... ALOHA

[ Edited by: THOR's 2009-08-17 19:59 ]

[ Edited by: THOR's 2009-08-18 13:32 ]

When I originally posted this topic, my intention was to point out some issues that should be addressed for next year's Oasis. I think a lot of good ideas have come out of this thread such as the alphabetical check in tables, the use of lap tops for check in's, and/or having the hotel staff pass out wrist bands when you're at the front registration desk. Those that know me, know that I am definitely not a whiny person, but at the same time I will call it like I see it. My original hope was that by pointing out some of the issues that the larger crowds caused Oasis this year that we'd be able to better address them next year. Ultimately, everyone that's posted on this thread wants this to continue to be a fun and unique event. I applaud Otto and all the volunteers that worked their tails off to make this event happen this year. However, I don't think its valid for people to say, and out of 28 posts, there's only been two, if you criticize, stay home. I'm pretty sure that Otto can't see everything that happens at this event. If I had planned this event, honestly, I'd want people to tell me the good and the bad so that I could address any issues people encountered. If my pants make me look fat, tell me.

Sorry Afkarp if I was a bit heavy handed, but it seemed like you weren't happy about anything from your first post. I agree with you on just about all of it, but I think that we need to pose our criticism positively in order to move forward. My wife was one of those people that couldn't get back to the pool to get her things because she didn't have her wrist band - I feel your pain.

I'm not sure what Otto's plans are for the future, but if we do hire people to come in and run the entire event for us my feeling is that we will lose the closeness of the event (we may be already pushing that), not to mention the cost will go through the roof. This is a darn good deal for $40 seeing that we got to enjoy 15 bands for the 3 days of the party. Well, I hope that we can get some positive ideas on how we can make it better so that all of us can enjoy the next one.

Jim

Z
zond2 posted on Mon, Aug 17, 2009 7:55 PM

First, This was my first Tiki Oasis and I had a fantastic time!
Now my comment/observation
Having had some experience with science fiction conventions I can say that the problems mentioned are all old news.
Sadly its true that if you continue to have your convention at the same date & location you can develop problems with people "ghosting" and showing up only for the room parties.
One solution is to change location, the problem for Tiki Oasis is finding a new venue with the same vibe.
As for registration, laptops networked to a single database and a label printer is a common solution in SF fandom.
If you want to pick the brains of some folks who have dealt with all of the previously mentioned issues and more talk to the organizers of Dragon*Con, Arisia or LosCon in LA.
And trust me you've never met a more diverse collection of "unique" personalities than science fiction fandom.
Why re-invent the wheel when you can use someone else's?

G

I have no complaints, but I did want to share a few ideas to help spread out the crowds for next years event. Keep in mind that I, in no way, benefit from these suggestions, but now that the event is growing, some reorganization needs to take place.

Maybe the Bali Hai could provide a passenger shuttle between the hotel and their restaurant throughout the weekend instead of just Thursday. Oasis weekend would be big for them as well, they could handle the crowds, and it would be good for their image since the Tiki folk are probably their top customers.

Create more space in the parking lot by having vendors offload their wares and then park offsite. (Maybe in that vacant lot next to the hotel, or work a deal with the rent a car place, or somewhere else with another shuttle taking them back to the hotel.)

Utilize the space in the parking lot by;

1. Putting the popular room parties in the rooms that were near the car show. That way they can spill out of the crowded room and into a sectioned off part of the parking lot.

2. Putting any other outdoor activities like the carving Village back out in the parking lot connected to the car show so people can walk around and see more things.

These are just a few ideas I am throwing out there.

[ Edited by: OnlyATikiLad 2009-08-17 20:37 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 6:51 AM

An alphabetical lineup is a good idea, but better is clipboard floaters who move up the line with wristbands in hand and a simple checklist. If you folks are holding computer printouts and Drivers Licenses it should take about 5 seconds per group to get checked in. The 'one line, one desk' process obviously doesn't work all that well.

Also, the wristbands could simply be mailed in advance, when you actually order the tickets. (Why not?) Then the line would be 1/2 the length to begin with.

And hey - I'm in charge of the seminars, and I think we did a superhuman job of getting everybody who signed up, all the pass holders, and all the extras who showed up at the last minute into every single show. Martin's rum seminars were all sold out, but we somehow got the extra 7 people in who wanted to go! And the seminars all more or less started on time, which, considering that every single presenter had a different computer loaded with different versions of Powerpoint, is ... impossible!

Hope everybody had a great time, if you're stuck in a line, whip out a ukulele and belt out a tune or two!!!

a fluffer in the check-in line at the hotel would be cool...

M

WOW, I (SWANGULO DESIGN) had the misfortune of not being able to attend Tiki Oasis this year. I was sad to say the least, but I am really sad to hear that a lot of people did not have a good time. This event in years past changed my/our lives as far as art, fun, and creativity goes. I understand the frustrations and have had my moments st events as well, but all in all it is what you put into it that counts. If you believe you will have fun, you will have FUN! I feel that this thread is actually a good thing because there has been a lot of constructive criticism that will benefit next years event. I truly hope Otto and Baby Doe see all this in the same way, you and everybody that helps do such a great job and I am sure this years event was no exception.

Lastly, I hope everyone can look back and say "all in all, it was a great time!" I look forward to meeting more of you as well (I am a little socially disabled) at future events and although I don't walk up to people much, I know who you are usually and will do my best to introduce myself.

I really am excited about next years event and Swangulo Design (me, my wife and daughter) will be there in full force. Does anybody have a hint of what the theme will be next year? Otto, any ideas yet??

A hui hou

On 2009-08-18 06:51, Cammo wrote:
An alphabetical lineup is a good idea, but better is clipboard floaters who move up the line with wristbands in hand and a simple checklist. If you folks are holding computer printouts and Drivers Licenses it should take about 5 seconds per group to get checked in. The 'one line, one desk' process obviously doesn't work all that well.

That's a great idea and at some points, Mateo DID do that. You don't know how much easier it would have been if everyone had a printout or confirmation in their hands. One simple thing might have made all the difference in the world in moving things along. I personally send my heartfelt mahalos to those of you who had the foresight to have a printout with them. And yep, the "one line, one desk" process probably needs work, but my goodness, don't take out your frustration on the volunteers sitting behind the desk. We were there to help!

[ Edited by: TikiShopPua 2009-08-18 08:59 ]

robots!
we need Tiki Oasis Check-in Robots
So all you wonderful hard-working volunteers
can be given a party like the rockstars you are!

Also, the wristbands could simply be mailed in advance, when you actually order the tickets. (Why not?) Then the line would be 1/2 the length to begin with.

Because they would be counterfeited like mad, trust me. That's why San Diego Comic con stopped doing it about a decade ago.

S

On 2009-08-18 08:07, little lost tiki wrote:

Hmmm. King Kukulele! It would be just like the commercial he did for Satelite Radio! Live!

H

On 2009-08-18 09:31, Swanky wrote:

On 2009-08-18 08:07, little lost tiki wrote:

Hmmm. King Kukulele! It would be just like the commercial he did for Satelite Radio! Live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7IEhhUrGtw

I had a great time this was my third trip to TO.
Having said that - I agree with Ron Tiki - a
professional staff compensated with more than tee shirts
and mugs would go a long way in improving everyone's
TO experience. Otto - you have a wonderful event here
but the logistics need to be ironed out. You get what you
pay for.

[ Edited by: Kicking Tiki 2009-08-18 10:54 ]

[ Edited by: Kicking Tiki 2009-08-18 10:54 ]

I

If room is an issue, well then why don't we move the event to a convention center?
Moving Tiki Oasis to the Anaheim Convention center would give us the room. But take away the atmosphere, and the Ohana feel would evaporate very quickly. Besides, I don't know of any tiki theme hotels with a large attendee capacity. Perhaps now that the additional space in one of the convention halls could be utilized as a registration center. Tiki Oasis was crazy this year, our room party in 1803 was crowded as well. I found my self holding people from coming in. 98% had no issue with this, understood and patiently waited.

RR

On 2009-08-18 09:12, Tiki Phill wrote:

Because they would be counterfeited like mad, trust me. That's why San Diego Comic con stopped doing it about a decade ago.

People got in with blue painter's tape.

Pages: 1 2 84 replies