Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Claq50 Two carves Finished. 04/21/11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies

A
amate posted on Mon, Dec 14, 2009 4:17 PM

Ah yes, he turned out great. Can't wait to see your full body carve. I've been dying to try one myself. By the way, cute kid. One day she will tell her grandchildren about how her dad was a tiki carver. Cool stuff!

C

Thanks,

I was looking at the logs i have right now, and im not to sure about the full body one. I really want to try it so i might just go for it. the one log is tall and skinny and the other short and fat. Im thinking about using the skinny one. What you all think?

Very nice and unique. Great skills!

again great carve here brah!! as for skinny or fat thats a toss up! i did my first two full body tikis on stock that was 7and1/2"round (sqr actually)and 39" tall and thought that it was a bit narrow not bad but tight! as for short and fat theres not much room for head,body,legs unless his body position like sitting or kneeling squatin is in your desighn . but should be plenty of meat for arms in cool positions large hands and big feet if that is in your mind! all in all figure out fpr the most part your design and either sketch it on both or visualise wich one will fit better"let the logs pik" and last but not least I would probably lean towards the log thats in the best shape and will hold up to some searious carvin!!! have fun brah and def just go for it!!! cheerz!!

B

Carvings are coming along nicely, this last head dress was Very nice. Keep carving and everything will keep looking better and better.
Search the web for traditional tikis you like and incorporate some of those looks into your pieces too. Yeah, Whats Next?

C

Thanks everyone. I hope to start work on the next tiki soon. I think I might need to toss one of my logs. I found alot of what looks like rot on it. So I think for now I will use the shorter fat log and be on the look out for a taller one.

C

Thanks everyone. I hope to start work on the next tiki soon. I think I might need to toss one of my logs. I found alot of what looks like rot on it. So I think for now I will use the shorter fat log and be on the look out for a taller one.

C

Finally got around to starting the new tiki. Its going to be a head only, still looking for a good log to do the full body. I figured in the mean time i would continue to practice. I got pics coming.

C

Just started so i got a little way to go. But will give you an idea.

me likey likey!!!! good start!!! got the chain saw!? keep us posted!!! cheerz!!

C

Just an update on the work. got about 2 hours in last night and got alot done. Plan on carving a little bit deeper, but just wanted to get the basic stuff done for now.

B

YES, This new guy is gonna be Excellent, I can see his personality develop already. Nice deep details.

claq!!! lookin sweet my freind!!!! hes got a realy cool bend that ur usin perfctly!!! hes lookin sweeet!!! gettr duun!!! lol! cheerz my freind!!!

oops!!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-20 20:12 ]

I'm a fan of tikis with a curve. Nice job, looking forward to the progress.

C

Heres another progress report. I got to do a little more sanding, but almost there.

And this last ones a little off topic, but i figured i would share. My cousin caught this bass off my back yard. Monster!

CLAQ!!! LOOKIN REALY GOOD HERE!!! that guys got sum sweet lines!! gonna do anything w that nice crown head area!? either way hes awsome!! sand away man cant wait to see him all dun up!!!! cheerz brah!!! p.s. thats a nice bass right there!!! 6 7 pndr?

C
claq50 posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 7:50 PM

Final pics on that tiki along with the begginings of my tiki bar

Area for the bar

Got the back wall framed out

Yeah! W. Palm needs more tiki bars! Spare no expense, make a killer one that would make the tiki gods proud!

C
claq50 posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 7:09 AM

Well work on the bar is almost complete so i decided to take a quick break from it and make another tiki. This is my first attempt at a full body. I still have alot of learning to do on it, but i think after a couple i will get the hang of it. If you want to see updates on my bar the link is

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35801&forum=20&7

It took about three hours of work to make this guy, still need to do about another hour of sanding and then stain and seal. I went all wrong trying to make the legs first then the head, next time im gonna work a little more on making the body look better.

S

Yes Nice! Way to take it on!

A
amate posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 3:37 PM

Congrats on your first full body. How tall is he? Looks like a lot was accomplished in only three hours and you should have the tiki bar outfitted in no time at that rate. I have not done one that large yet but hope to get on it soon.

T

I AM SOO OO JEALOUSE YOU ARE CATCHING BASS OUT OF YOUR BACKYARD!!!!!!
ALL I GET IS STRAY DOGS AND HOBOS...

C
claq50 posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 7:14 PM

I finished up a little more detail work on him today, just need to sand him tomorrow and i will post new pics. So far got about 5 hours into him. This one is 4 feet. As im making more im finding it easier to carv each one.

Excellent start, and hopefully the beginnings of many more to come.

Tiki's are looking good. Looks like the C15 canal behinf that tiki. Keep'um coming.

C
claq50 posted on Fri, Apr 9, 2010 3:42 PM

Close, it empty into the c15. I'm on one of the feeder canals. Loaded with largemouth and peacock bass.

C
claq50 posted on Sun, May 2, 2010 7:07 PM

So i started work on another full body. Still have alot of sanding and detail to do, along with the head dress. Here are a few progress pics

T

Looks like a GREAT start bro
Cant wait to see it done!

C
claq50 posted on Wed, May 5, 2010 2:41 PM

Finished the tiki last night. All in all took about 6 hours start to finish.

-

B

Nice one Claqer, love how you did the back too.

T

VERY NICE FINISH CLAQ !!

S

Ya! looking good. He has a great expression.

I like that back as well .... very well done! I'll probably steal that design if you don't mind!

Have a Great Day!!

http://www.openingdaymedia.net

C
claq50 posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 9:53 PM

Thanks everyone,

slowly I've been seeing an improvement. Going to start another tiki tomorrow. Maybe I'll try a ku????

C
claq50 posted on Fri, May 7, 2010 5:57 AM

No problem if you want to use the design, I just want to see your finished work!! I'm guilty of using some ideas for some other guys on here to.

C

Worked on my first Moai today. Very quick carve until i can start my next project. I just got an order for an 8 foot totem pole and picked up the coconut log today. Need to let it dry out for a few months but its my first official order. Here are some pics of the Moai.

C

Worked on my first Moai today. Very quick carve until i can start my next project. I just got an order for an 8 foot totem pole and picked up the coconut log today. Need to let it dry out for a few months but its my first official order. Here are some pics of the Moai.

S

Right On! Very cool on the pole commision.

Your style and technique is coming right along. Congrats on the 8-foot order!

C

Thanks, Im not to sure what the next carve will be. Im thinking of trying a Marq style. I have a 2 footer that would probably work great.

C

Finished work on the Marq finally. Here are some pics

S

Good looking Marq.

C

Heres the latest work. Not to sure where im going to go with this one but it should come out cool. This is my first sabel palm to work with and let me tell you it is a world of difference!

C

6 footer

S

Looking good.

Cant wait to see it. I wish palm was in abundance here.

Great Start!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies