Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Claq50 Two carves Finished. 04/21/11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies

C
claq50 posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 8:36 AM

Update on the 6 footer. So for ive roughed out the face and the body, just need to finish the head dress and then sand and stain. Im figuring about 8 hours total time will go into this one. No buyer for him yet, but i think he will go quick. Sorry about the poor quality pics.

Looking Awesome.

C
claq50 posted on Wed, Jul 7, 2010 3:39 PM

Thanks, so far its going pretty easy. Its going to take alot of sanding though, sable doesnt seem to sand as well as coconut does.

C

Update on the 6 footer. Just finished torching and sanding.

C

While i wait for the 6 footer to finish, i decided to bust out this little guy. Took about an hour or so. Just need to stain and hes done.

T

That is one happy tiki Lookin good 50.

C

Thanks, I had that short log lying around and decided to do something with him. I put him online and sold him that day! Might have to do another one like it!

T

I gotta thro my stuff online
were did you post them at?

C

I made a facebook business page and posted up also on craigslist. The facebook is nice because everytime that you make a post all of the fans of the site can see the new work. I have sold several that way so far

A
amate posted on Sat, Jul 24, 2010 8:25 AM

I like that short one a lot. Well done!

C

Yea i sold that one very quick and i have had several other people want simila ones so im going to make a few more of them. Figures the easy carves are the ones that sell the best!

S

Very nice big mouth sucker

C

Here are the finished pics of the last two tikis as well as another marq i did this week.

Heres the new Marq. Finished this guy up in about three hours total time.

N

The marq looks really cool, lots of character!

What kind of wood is that Marq, cypress? I don't know Florida trees, but I know it's not palm. The cracking relly looks good!

C

It's actually a coconut log, it's just an old one that I had that dried weird, may have been from the top of tree closest to the heart. I was afraid at first that there would be rot or something wrong with tge log but it turned out to be good. Came out with a cool effect!

T

Nice stain job 50 Keepem comin'

S

Well done and the stain job looks great.

C

Thanks everyone. I was happy with the way the stain came out to. I just got an order for this week, two three foot big mouth tikis.

Love the Big Mouth!

C
claq50 posted on Fri, Aug 6, 2010 5:49 AM

Finished the carve, this is one i did for a custom order, its going on the corner of a bar. I also busted out the second one in about 45 minutes. Probably going to take another 45 min to finish.

T

adding more and more details bro
Looking good !

C

Final pics of the tongue tiki. Not bad for two hours of work.

S

Woo hoo looking good love the tongue.

He is the Gene Simons of Tikis.

C

Thanks for the comments. I've had some extra time latky so I've been able to bust these out, I just finished a new 4 footer today and should have pics tomorrow. It's getting pretty easy. Think I need to do a harder carve

C

Here are the latest pics of my recent work. Finished the work on the two corner tikis for a bar, and have a couple of other projects started.

Carving the second of two corner tikis

Work finsihed

Heres a tiki table i had an order for. Took about 5 hours start to finish.

And here is a pic of my most recent project that im working on. Its a 3 foot tiki. Its an order for a firefighter. Im going to do what ive seen a couple of guys do and put a helmet on him.

T

awesome stuff claq, i like the new guy - lots of character!

C

Thanks, It was alot easier then i thought the design would be. So far have just over an hour into it. Should take about another 2 to finish

B

Keep cranking those nice tikis out claq, Lookin better and better!

C
claq50 posted on Sat, Oct 2, 2010 5:42 AM

Got around to posting some pics of the recent work.

Heres the fireman tiki. I never got a shot of it with the satin finish but you get the idea

Next i made a "chimney tiki"

You cant really tell due to the poor photo but its a dark red mahagony stain. It looks black in this picture though.

Here is an order i had for an alskan style totem pole. It was my first attempt but the customer was very happy with it.

Came out looking yellow from the light, but the color is actually white.

B

Claq, I'm Really loving your new designs and carves, The Totem is not as advanced as your tikis but after a few I'm sure you will see that change drastically.

Also these Corner tikis on your bar were Excellent and the Corner fit looks Perfect!

C
claq50 posted on Sat, Oct 2, 2010 4:58 PM

I dont think im going to do another animal style tiki. This was just an order that i had. He wanted a "cartoon" looking totem. It turned out to be alot more work then I expected, i have more then 15 hours invested in it. I think im going to stick with what i know! I got some new designs for tikis coming up, i just need to get ahold of some good logs. Right now all i have is a few queens and they might not even be any good anymore. Queens seem to rot rather quick if you dont carve them fast enough.

C

Finished the alaskan totem.

C

Well i got around to working on a couple of new tikis. Both of these were requested by customers. The first tiki I got the idea from a few different people on here and the second tiki was requested to look like a biker.

Handle Bar Mustache

I should have finished pics of the second tiki tomorrow.

A
amate posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 3:07 PM

Your carving has really progressed in a short period of time. That mustache sure is different. I know I went through a period when all of mine had eyebrows. Glad you having fun with it!!

C

Thanks man, yeah I thought it was a little different to but thats what the guy wanted. He asked if I could make it look like him so I tried.

Well done! whay to mix it up.

C

Thanks man, just finished putting the last coat if spar on, I hope to have pics of it by tomorrow.

B

Cool stuff Claq, I'm Loving how you Always end up with such Nice crisp, clean detail. That isn't always easy to do, congrats.

C

Thanks man, i still feel like i have a long way to go until i get to the level some guys are at, but its all about practice i guess. I should be getting four 6 foot sable logs this weekend, so im looking forward to carving something big again. I finished the handle bar mustache tiki. Here are some pics, the guy really liked how it came out. Thanks again

C

I decided to get into the holiday spirit and carve a santa tiki for my little girl. She loves it. I need to finished sanding and staining but this a picture of the rough carve.

C

Finished up that santa tiki. It was a quick carve. I didnt really spend much time on detail or sanding, only spent about an hour of total work. Heres a pic of the finished work. Also Santa came early. I got a new 8 foot sable log. This one should be fun!

C

Made a new bar top tiki, stands about 16 inches tall. Took about 4 hours start to finish. All thats left now is final torching, sanding, staining, and sealing. Im guessing another hour of work. I decided to try more detail work on this one, my first attempt at toes. Enjoy the pics.

C
claq50 posted on Sat, Feb 5, 2011 7:50 AM

Heres the latest tiki. I saw a picture of a similar tiki on here and thought it was really cool. Cant remember who made it, so i decided to try making something similar. HEres the work so far.

C

I finished two tikis this week. I also just got about 10 new logs to carve, should be fun. Let me know what you think of the new work.

S

Well done. Way to carve them deep with lots of expression.

BT

Haha, the wave and palms are a great touch

Pages: 1 2 3 4 156 replies