Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Los Angeles Fires... everyone OK?

Pages: 1 7 replies

M

Ernie... I keep hearing Tujunga in the news reports regarding the unfortunate LA Fires...

Are you doing OK?

Anyone need a place to stay or supplies?

T

Well I for one would like to take you up on that offer ,I'm no where near the fires (Canada actually)but I could use a bamboo framed bed of palm leaves and a zombie or 5 to help me relax...
That is a special thing yer doing there,hope nobody actually needs help! the fires are insane and devastative my heart goes out to all the folks that have suffered loss in these hard times...
Keep up the spirit of giving down there !
PRAY for RAIN!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 3:49 PM

Doing O.K. now, thanks for your concern.

Because of a screw up with my insurance, my house wasn't covered, so I was pretty worried and stressed.
We accidently packed up the modem when we packed up the computer and my phone is through the cable, so i had no phone or internet and we don't get cel phone reception down here in the canyon. We were on mandatory evacuation, so
if you left, you couldn't get back in. I didn't want to be somewhere 10 miles away from the house worrying and hoping that the news would show something about our neighborhood( which they rarely did) so I stayed at the house and kept a watch. We had firemen in the neighborhood keeping a watch, so that helped ease some stress.

We watched the fire burn the mountains right acrossfrom us in the Big Tujunga Wash, and then we watched as flames approached from the backside. Luckily the fire was coming downhill and the wind was away from us, so the firefighters were able to control it really well. The "hotshot" guys and the forestry crews kicked some major ass on some really hot days wearing some heavy gear. The firemen were super nice and informative, and the L.A. cops were friendly and helpful. The El Monte cops that were here were real pricks, and are more than welcome to stay in El Monte.

I don't want to go through that again anytime soon.

Thanks everybody for your concern.

Ernie

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 3:53 PM

Wonderful Ernie! Thanks for the update.

M

Im glad to hear that Senor Grog....

Best wishes to keeping your home out of harms way...

Ernie, glad to hear that things are better for you.

Even over here in the Midwest, I've heard "Tujunga" one too many times and have wondered how things are with you.

Hope the rest of the year is a safe one!

Glad everything's cool Ernie!
How's GROG holding up?
i heard he's scared of fire....

Glad to hear you are OK Ernie...fires in canyons are a scary thing...been through a few myself. It is amazing how fast they spread and the winds can blow embers for miles. Really makes ya think about the insurance aspect for sure.

My Mom has been through some horrendous fires in Wildcat Canyon in Lakeside, Ca by Barona Indian Reservation in the past few years. As kids our family had to evacuate several times, my sister would ride her horse out (which is scary, cause they are freaked and just want to run wild) and we had to move cows, goats, dogs...that is a job and you can only do it if you have time...sometimes you have to leave your animals behind.

In the last big fire a few years ago my Mom was asleep and had her hearing aide out so couldn't hear her neighbors knocking on her doors and windows at 3am when the mandatory evacuation came. For some reason she did get up and went to the bathroom and then the fireman were banging down her front door...she made it out with just her false teeth, hearing aide, cell phone, purse and the ragged nightgown she was in. Many people lost animals in the fire, a couple of folks died in their car trying to escape and houses all around her burned down. She was lucky, as her house was safe, but all her sheds, pool house, and pool were destroyed. It took 2 years of fighting with the insurance to get it all built up again and her pool resurfaced.

I cried my eyes out when I went to the fire-station so my Mom and I could give them our contributions for saving her life. Gawd bless the fireman...they are so wonderful. We just really can't do enough for these brave people. DONATE!!!!

Ernie...get your insurance updated...it's worth it. What gets covered never really takes care of all the damage, but when you don't have it...well :(

Stay safe!!!

Pages: 1 7 replies