Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moai Kava Kava is artshow ready ....

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

The Inland Empire Fine Arts Guild holds an annual show in Rancho Cucamonga . It is 90 % fine painters and some sculpture . I threw a couple of Tikis in the mix 2 years ago and I was suprised that I won an honorable mention . Well this year I have been carving smaller pieces and fine tuning my skills . Im entering this Moai Kava Kava as one of my pieces . Benzart gave me some great advice and told me to make some sort of reference to Easter Island so those hoity toity judges will regognise what it is ...hahaha.Im calling it "The Fall of Easter Island".
It is 12-1/2" tall carved from a maple log and inlaid bone eyeballs .This really took some time . Then I mounted it on a piece of driftwood bark simulating a lavaflow. I hope you all enjoy it
I did make a mold of the piece before I mounted it so hopefully Ill be creating some more for those interested .

Wow, Ray, it's small, and ...not palm! :D Great carve, very Benzart-like.

Just don't go all hoity-toity on us. :wink:

H
Heath posted on Wed, Sep 9, 2009 5:52 PM

That's freakin' gorgeous!
You should get more than an honorable mention with that.

Yeah Man! That's a complete masterpiece. REALLY nice job, worth all the effort and time.

L
laojia posted on Wed, Sep 9, 2009 9:26 PM

WOW!This "fall of easter island" made me fall off my chair!!! :o Awesome carving! And it's an original idea the positioning on a driftwood! Also nice detail on the spinal column and ears...

congrat Tiki-ray!

J.

Tiki Ray to the head of the class!

Nice Job,Ray!
You really nailed it pretty in such a small scale!
Best of Luck with the jury!
should be a shoe-in!
:)

is there volcanoes/lava on Easter island?

C

looking great, congrats!

B

Very well done Ray 'cept I don't think he has enough ribzz. :o :) I guess they cranked up the grill and needed some ribs?
Seriously you really set the bar high for yourself this time.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 9:51 AM

Love this entry, Ray!

Kinda spooky in a mummified relic kinda way (genuine Long Beach Pike artifact I tell ya') and that's enough for me to separate this work of art / presentation from all others. I place it in its own category..the category of WOW! LOOKY THAT!

KICK THE JUDGES' ASS BRO :)

Thanks all for the compliments . And yes Kenny , they made the topknots on the Moai's out of volcanic rock . All those islands were created from volcanic hotspots. You need to watch more Discovery Channel . hahaha

i don't get the Discovery channel...
can you tape it for me?
pleeeease?
:)

T

If I see it again I will . There are a few documentaries about moving hot spots that travel in the earths crust and pop up blow holes . Thats how the Hawaiian islands were formed . Underwater there are many deteriorating ones West of the Islands and a new one East of the big Island forming a new one . I wanna buy realestate on the new one .

Really out of the box for you. I love it. So how did you like carving the hard wood?

Awesome peice Ray!Cheers Watango

T

Ive done it before with carving Koa Wood necklaces but this is a bigger piece . The more I got done and the more detailed it got put more pressure on me not to screw it up . UGHHHH ! You have to press really hard with the tools which scares you that you might slip but just breathe and try your best to gain control . Remember when carving , you can take it away but you cant put it back .

Ray, a beautiful piece of traditional South Pacific art!

A piece to be very proud of!

Lot's of great detail packed into such a small package.

Congrats!

Pages: 1 16 replies