Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

37 new Trader Vic's locations opening (1 in US)

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

T

I enjoyed all my visits to Trader Vic's Emeryville, especially after their remodel. The closed Palo Alto location was excellent as well.
I have been to the Los Angeles location well over a dozen times. I have never had a bad meal there and the service has been mostly excellent. Frank, one of TV's manager has always made sure my visit was enjoyable.

Went to The Trader's (L A) Last night. Was there about 2 1/2 hours for dinner (7:30) and had an excellent Dr. Funk in the lounge afterward. Had two 1944 Mai Tai's-one before dinner and one with the most excellent salmon from their chinese oven. The pupu platter includes the legendary "Crab Rangoon" which is wonderful. Brian was our very attentive server and Frank (manager) is always gracious. Wish I could go there more often-never been disappointed.
Cheers

I agree with others that there really is only one Trader Vic's that seems to represent to true spirit of Vic, and that is the one in Emeryville. I'm biased because I live in NorCal and can visit there as often as I wish (and I do!) but I have also visited others. Some have been pretty good but most fall short. For me I think it has to do with the location. I just don't think you can stuff a Trader Vic's into a new place and make it work. While it's true that the Emeryville local is a transplant from Oakland (formerly Hinky Dinks), it's been in that local for over 40 years now and the Trader Vic's "vibe" has just soaked into the place. I think that's always been missing from the other locations. On the flip side, places like Smugglers Cove and Forbidden Island have achieved that sacred feel as well and they are both relatively new.....so I guess I'm just blowing hot air! But seriously, it's kind of like Disneyland. There can be only one. Sure, Disneyworld and EuroDisney are pretty cool, but they'll never duplicate the feel of the original, no matter how good they may be.

I hope some day to make it to the Trader Vic's in Atlanta which I hear is old school. I know I'll get to the two SoCal locations sooner and from the reports on this thread sound like great locations as well. I love the fact that the Beverly Hills location has a very complete "strong drink" section of the menu, with 45-50 to choose from. I've had them all several times and developed a long list of favorites. I lived in the Portland area 30 years ago but probably won't ever get an opportunity to return so I'll have to pass the baton to others to keep the Tiki torches burning up north!

Something interesting, Jones Baker Interiors and Architecture which has been designing the latest Trader Vic's (Caribbean, Riyadh, Dubai, Portland, etc.) posted some new drawings the other day...for a Trader Vic's in Iraq!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151490211343176&set=a.308563673175.146045.306902198175&type=1&theater
I'd suggest liking them on FB to hear about TV developments.

Wonder what kind of drinks they'll be serving in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia?

On 2013-06-28 18:23, Maitai Mike wrote:
Wonder what kind of drinks they'll be serving in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia?

Virgin Mai Tai's........

TT

I was at TV ATL a couple months on a return from a Florida tiki road trip. After a couple days at the Mai Kai expectations were low. I was blown away. It had a fantastic 70s hipster Tiki vibe. Best of all is the fact I was 100 feet away from the elevator to my room. Staff was amazing! I'm a smoker and after talking to the GM for a while he came back and gave me a couple trader ashtrays for no reason. Loved the place and I'm actually more excited about returning there then I am the Mai Kai.

On 2013-06-28 10:21, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
... Jones Baker Interiors and Architecture .... posted some new drawings the other day...for a Trader Vic's in Iraq!

:music: I saw an Al Qaeda jihadi drinking a PiƱa Colada at Trader Vic's. His suicide vest was perfect! :music:

Pages: 1 2 56 replies