Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

37 new Trader Vic's locations opening (1 in US)

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

From the revamped TV website: http://tradervics.com/locations/newlocations.html

That is a sh*tload of locations... I guess the new-ish TV's CEO Robert Davies is really earning his paycheck... I want to go to the ones in the Caribbean.

Trad'r Bill

Thanks AlienTiki - I think you're right about Kansas (corrected) :)

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2009-09-14 00:33 ]

Kansas is still part of the US there Trad'r.

Cool, fingers crossed that one will open in Sweden soon. :)

No new ones in Asia, only 4 are left there now. I gotta get off my ass and go over there.

Three new Trader Vic's in England, do you think the Manchester one will be co-owned by the Gallagher brothers?

Interesting how many of those are in Saudi and other Muslim countries that don't drink alcohol. I would think that tikis and non-abstract artwork featuring human representations might be problematic as well.

V

Still none in France :(
Or Italy, Belgium, Switz...

Dublin!
I have been to Ireland three times and never found anything Tiki.

S

KC?
What happened to DC?

Kansas City had a Trader Vic's. In was in the Crown Center Hotel on the Missouri side.
I used to take dates there, made them feel special way back in High School!!!

N

Aqaba! that's right near Eilat, way less of a hassle to get there! I believe I'll have better luck getting G to visit there than Amman or Cairo.

Sadly, Tel Aviv is not ready for TV.

J

Wow, maybe Trader Vic's should rename the franchise name to McTiki's.

Wow! we'll be able to do a Tiki Road trip in the UK soon.

On 2009-09-14 05:27, MrBaliHai wrote:
"Interesting how many of those are in Saudi and other Muslim countries that don't drink alcohol. I would think that tikis and non-abstract artwork featuring human representations might be problematic as well."

Yeah, I've wondered about that, myself, for a while. Trader Vic's were closing all over the U.S., and opening right and left in Dubai, etc. Especially wonder about Saudi Arabia. Spare ribs and a Mai Tai, under the grimacing visage of Lono? Uh, some folks are rather... adamant about that sort of thing in Saudi, aren't they?

On 2009-09-14 17:55, Limbo Lizard wrote:

On 2009-09-14 05:27, MrBaliHai wrote:
"Interesting how many of those are in Saudi and other Muslim countries that don't drink alcohol. I would think that tikis and non-abstract artwork featuring human representations might be problematic as well."

Yeah, I've wondered about that, myself, for a while. Trader Vic's were closing all over the U.S., and opening right and left in Dubai, etc. Especially wonder about Saudi Arabia. Spare ribs and a Mai Tai, under the grimacing visage of Lono? Uh, some folks are rather... adamant about that sort of thing in Saudi, aren't they?

As the defenders of the Hajj, the Vic's in Saudi definitely won't be serving any pork or alcohol. Don't know about Lono, but he's probably Tiki non grata as well.

I lived in Kuwait and Dubai back in the Sixties, and there are Western-only zones and clubs where liquor can be served and consumed. My parents spent a lot of time there!...:)

UB

On 2009-09-14 10:19, Unga Bunga wrote:
Dublin!

It's going to be a Mai Tai Lounge.
It looks like Vic's is "selling out".

Trader Vic's Mai Tai Lounge

On 2009-11-03 13:12, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2009-09-14 10:19, Unga Bunga wrote:
Dublin!

It's going to be a Mai Tai Lounge.
It looks like Vic's is "selling out".

Trader Vic's Mai Tai Lounge

How about "staying open".

C

None in Scotland. England gets all the stuff. sigh

D
dash posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2009 11:47 AM

i just got back from st. lucia, i asked about trader vics opening and nobody i asked had heard about it.

Oh I don't know but I heard a whisper of a sniff of a suggestion that one city in Scotland might be getting a tiki bar possibly in the near-ish future.

C

Wowowowow - a tiki bar in Scotland?! Hope this is true. I'm not bothered if it's not Trader Vic's - non-chains are better anyways.

Looks like Manchester is a real tiki hub in northern England now! I used to live so close to Manc too!

The Trader Vic's at Corbin Park (Kansas City, KS) has been in the works for about three years now. In fact, they were supposed to open this time last year. Nothing as yet, and I'd given up on it. Maybe . .

D

Kansas City? What? How about New York City! C'mon!!!!

On 2009-11-25 07:19, donhonyc wrote:
Kansas City? What? How about New York City! C'mon!!!!

Yeah, I know. But it's all about demographics and taxes. This is from the Market Overview section of the Corbin Park website:

NOTHING IN CANADA?!
Trader Vic's .....whats the problem!?

L

On 2009-11-25 11:40, TIKIVILLE wrote:
NOTHING IN CANADA?!
Trader Vic's .....whats the problem!?

Canada=America's Little Hat

AMERICA=CANADAS tight shirt lol
( you do know we have a larger land mass dont you ?)

i´m afraid this list is pure illusion/wishful thinking ...

... they failed in places like BERLIN und LAS VEGAS ...

... and think they can make it in some places which are even too ridiculous
to mention - at least in context with opening a TRADER VICS there !

Sweeeeeeet! I only just noticed this.

First I saw Birmingham and thought, "Great, but it's in a shithole".
Then Leeds and thought "Woah....striking distance!"
Finally Manchester and that just about blew my bags.

What amazing, totally unexpected news!

Trader Woody

PS Have faith my Scottish friends. It looks like the Tiki resurgence is travelling rapidly northwards!

What about Australia, a Trader Vic's would kill it down here!
Bob

Looks like you can scrap the Overland Park, Kansas location from the list for good. After over a year of NOTHING happening at the construction hole the developer has just filed for Chap. 11 bankruptcy. It may still happen, but then again, monkeys may fly out of my butt.

I wonder what happened with the previously announced bars, it seems like some of them - for example all UK bars - have disappeared from the list of future locations...

old list:

new list:

http://tradermagnus.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: Trader Magnus 2010-08-04 06:44 ]

Anyone have more news on Trader Vic's opening in Kansas City? I'm guessing it's dead in the water by now. So much for getting my hopes up :(

A

I'm guessing the recession has squashed a lot of these. Seems odd to me that Trader Vic's would have announced these locations before they were under construction.

The "Upcoming Locations" list now has:
TV:
Baku, Azerbaijan
Barbados, Caribbean
Doha, Qatar
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Festival City, Dubai
Papua New Guinea

Mai Tai Lounge:
Baku, Azerbaijan
Barbados, Caribbean
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Odessa, Ukraine
Mumbia, India

(Not of interest here, but just to complete the list, there's also a Senor Pico's in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia)

All very well but i hope the original in london is not affected by all this expansion,Looks like they are cashing in on all the bars cheekytiki have done over here

It looks like the three English locations have been dropped.

Shame, as Manchester would have been the most 'Tiki' location outside of the West coast with three tiki Bars.

P
porco posted on Wed, Dec 19, 2012 1:12 PM

Just noticed these locations on TV website:

Trader Vic's,
Mai Tai Lounge
Opening in 2013
Ras Al Khaimah, UAE

Trader Vic's, Erbil
Swiss-Bellhotel
Opening in 2013
Golan Street
Erbil, Kurdistan

HT

Here's to hoping we see this soon!

Trader Vic's
Opening in 2014
6000 Penn Ave
Pittsburgh, PA

T

How sad that this American company (is it still?)
is closing locations in America, and has no plans to build
here in the near future.
But does have plans for other locations outside of the USA.

I can only HOPE for CHANGE in the future of this kind of dismissing
Of the need here in the land that Trader Vic's was started, and other American companies
need to try and build our economy.
Sure Americas economy sucks now but it won't get better if this keeps going on.
We can go to these locations while on vacation ( and it looks like that's what they are going for)
but if this keeps up Americans won't be able to aford it.
I would guess that it is much less of a pain to open in other countries as it has
become very hard to do business here, and won't get better for some time now.

Come on Trader Vic's don't forget who brought you to the party.

HT

Someone get the Ghost of Victor Bergeron on that, a-sap.

Sadly, they haven't been an American company for quite some time. I do agree that it would be great for all of us if the US economy was doing better!

Actually the Corporation is still owned and operated by the family. However, all locations, other than the family owned flagship location in Emeryville, are franchises...

Whether locations open or close domestically or internationally is dependent on economics and the vision/passion of the franchisees...

Case in point: The Hamburg Vic's just closed because the Radisson Hotel management felt it looked...get this.... "too 80s" ! :lol:

In the last few years I have been to a few of the locations in the US. I visited the Vegas location, it was a tragedy. Should have never opened. Tried to visit the Chicago location, but even though their website said they were open and their phone lines said they were open, they were closed for good. While visiting two other California locations I had service so bad I walked out mid meal and refused to pay on one visit. In each case I did try to speak with management and or corporate. No guest service was offered.

Their rum and food items change labels and packaging so often Im not sure what to look for on the store shelf. The signature dark rum is pretty bad, but I still have a soft place in my heart for their hot buttered rum batter.

Aside from the pool bar at the Beverly Hilton which seems to have good drinks and good service....it is no wonder the company closes locations so randomly. I would love to see their organization figure out what leadership/management is but that doesn't appear to be happening.

Am I missing something?

You are missing Trader Vic's Emeryville, the "Mother Ship". It is the only location owned by Trader Vic's, Inc. The now closed Palo Alto location was excellent as well.

On 2013-03-06 17:08, Sunshine Tiki wrote:
....While visiting two other California locations I had service so bad I walked out mid meal and refused to pay on one visit. In each case I did try to speak with management and or corporate. No guest service was offered...

Am I missing something?

You are missing Zen and sunshine :D

Pages: 1 2 56 replies