Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

UK Home bar - The Lei Inn - (photo intensive)

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

We'd had the little home bar in our kitchen/ diner for a while, named the Kitsch Inn.

We decided that it was time to build a proper bar. As we don't have a basement, as they are fairly rare in the UK, we considered building an extension to the home. However this was going to prove expensive, so we decided to convert one of our spare bedrooms. Only a small double bedroom, but we decided as long as there was a sofa bed in there it was the most effective method of making our home bar. So here is my attempt at building my first tiki room /bar.

The first few photos show me stripping out the built in wardrobe, carpet, coving etc. Just so it gives an idea of what it was before.

So it was time to procure some matting and assorted DIY materials from our friends at http://www.cheekytiki.com.
After considering how best to put the matting up, we decided to go the whole hog and stick it to the walls. Now it was the moment of truth. Get that adhesive on the walls and get the matting applied.

Mmmm the smell of that matting was lovely.

Originally I planned to use thatch for the ceiling but eventually decided to fit a false ceiling with matting. I fixed batons to the walls and fixed the others through the ceiling into the loft. I made up ceiling 'panels' of hardboard with matting glued to them. I decided to stain and varnish the ceiling tiles to make them look different to the walls. BUT the matting looked so rich I decided to stain and varnish ALL the matting. I love making work for myself! But it was worth it.

More to follow.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-11 08:44 ]

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-21 13:29 ]

Now the ceiling was up it was time to start putting some bamboo on the walls.

And then some shelving for the mugs and most importantly....The Rum

And my bargain tiki from ebay, who just fitted under my bamboo.

Now was the time start to build the bar itself.

After various coats of stain and varnish I decided that this bar top would be fine.

And that's pretty much it. Now to show you the finished tiki room. We decided to name it with a bedroom theme as it is a spare bedroom and hence the name The Lei Inn.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-11 08:44 ]

So the finished bar.

Behind the bar.

And The Lei Inn itself;

Note the Virani tribute beard. (now since gone).

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-11 08:46 ]

H

You have done an amazing job decorating this room. It is done in great taste and is very inviting. The lighting also sets a great mood.

OGR

TranquilMoodyChock full of Eye-Candy~A superb job. Thanks for showing us around!

Excellent! Beautiful! FUN! You took a boring old room and turned it into an amazing tropical get-away. Perfect escape for the cold, foggy, damp winters!

Thanks for the kind words. And I forgot to thank everyone who has posted their home bars on here before, you've been a great help for me to design my own bar.

S

Fast transformation. Maybe put rope light behind those top shelf bottles?

good stuff!

amazing job - the roof works really well!

I can hear the denny playing in the background from here...

On 2009-10-12 11:43, tikiracer wrote:
amazing job - the roof works really well!

I can hear the denny playing in the background from here...

Cheers. I was pleased the way the roof worked out. Always some exotica or crazed mugs playing....

Thank you for sharing your photos! Love what you did. I am itching to stop renting and get my own place so I can go all out like you guys! Nice!

Well done - it looks really great.

Once I get somewhere with a spare room I'll be emailing you for tips :)

V

Wow, that's a really nice looking bar, very attractive (so is the beard, too !!).
Nice job.

H
harro posted on Tue, Oct 20, 2009 1:36 PM

Super job! What a cool conversion. Love the bamboo bar, and mug/rum collection.
When's the party?

Going to organise something soon, but it's gonna have to be a few at a time, cos the bar ain't big.

My signed Beachbum Berry pic in pride of place.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-11-01 08:18 ]

great job on the guest room bar! you got a real cozy vibe coming through the pictures, I can only image how awesome it must be to come in from a typical English weather day, pour yourself a drink and relax in polynesia!
The patina on the matting looks REAL good and adds to the classic ambiance! (love all the float lamps too!)

On 2009-11-01 10:41, Polynesiac wrote:
great job on the guest room bar! you got a real cozy vibe coming through the pictures, I can only image how awesome it must be to come in from a typical English weather day, pour yourself a drink and relax in polynesia!
The patina on the matting looks REAL good and adds to the classic ambiance! (love all the float lamps too!)

Thank you. Yes it is an Oasis for us. And float lamps homemade, so pleased with them too.

Great job all around! Love that bamboo bar
with the rope trim. Really sets a great mood
with the lights on. Excellent photos too!

Thank you Iokona Ki'i. That was my first attempt at a bar build, so I was pretty pleased with the results.
I hope one day to have one of your gorgeous velvets to hang in The Lei Inn.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-11-25 14:47 ]

A

Fantastic! Clearly a work of love. Thanks for all the photos- I know that adds extra steps, but so worth it.
Next up- show us your drinks!

Fantastic job, bar looks great! hope mine turns out half as good.
What stain and varnish did you use on your matting and what method of application did you use, I have to use bamboo hardboard that's all you can get over here and it is a very light blonde color, I want to get a more warm old time patina look to it, the new look sucks.
Thanks
Trader Bob.

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2009-12-26 23:17 ]

amazing transformation. It doesn't even look like the same room. Gotta love some woven lauhala matting.

Well, it's even better 'in the flesh'. COngratulations on all that hard work.

Hospitality as warm as the lauhala's aged patina from the hosts and a bar that truly transports you to the South Seas! Oh, and that sofa/pull-out meant a night in paradise for the overnighters.

Mahalo.

That is a really nice transformation....best use for a spare bedroom!!!

It was a pleasure having the 54's over and finally being able to christen the bar with some fellow
tiki-philes.
I've started our own page on Facebook to follow the Lei Inn and what we're mixing up and drinking. Suggestions always welcome.

Mahalo and Happy New Year

looks like you guys are enjoying your tropical
hideout!

Happy New Year!

On 2009-12-26 14:31, Trader Bob wrote:
Fantastic job, bar looks great! hope mine turns out half as good.
What stain and varnish did you use on your matting and what method of application did you use, I have to use bamboo hardboard that's all you can get over here and it is a very light blonde color, I want to get a more warm old time patina look to it, the new look sucks.
Thanks
Trader Bob.

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2009-12-26 23:17 ]

Sorry Bob I only just saw your question re the Lei Inn. I just the Lauhala matting on the walls and it was very pale. I simply painted on one or two coats of quick drying interior varnish, teak colour, satin finish. And the way it didn't take exactly evenly all over gave the matting a weathered look rather than a stained look.

Some new additions to The Lei Inn.
KolKol the canoe figurehead from the Solomon Islands (Totu Isu)

Vintage Juice O Mat. It works brilliantly.

And a fantastic new 'Make Mine A Mai Tai' mug, thanks to Trader Jim from Pocketiki

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2010-01-21 11:42 ]

On 2009-10-20 23:03, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Going to organise something soon, but it's gonna have to be a few at a time, cos the bar ain't big.

Will bring Moai and volcano chocolates and a special british knitted lei

Its looking great giving us a good kick in the pants to get our place straight.

Visit http://www.exotictramp.com for a range of exotic Jewellery & Gifts

[ Edited by: ExoticTramp 2010-01-21 15:26 ]

On 2010-01-21 15:25, ExoticTramp wrote:

On 2009-10-20 23:03, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

Will bring Moai and volcano chocolates and a special british knitted lei

Its looking great giving us a good kick in the pants to get our place straight.

Looking forward to seeing you, and making up some Mai Tai's and other beverages.
The bar is always open.

And get your place straight, we need to see it!

Looks Great Kon
Pity its 20.000 kms away I could drive over and visit!
trader Bob

I agree Bob that it's a bit of a trek, but next time you're in the sunny UK, do stop by for a couple of drinks.

Makes a tasty Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2010-03-07 08:41 ]

Kon- thanks for dropping by to check my project out. Your Lei Inn is quite a production! I'm sure you're glad to have the sweat equity behind you... Should I ever make it across the pond, I'll have to ring you up. Great work- keep the updates coming as you add more details!

Cheers!

Great place Si and Nina, looks fantastic! We haven't been on here for ages so hadn't seen the pictures, but glad we did tonight. Must come by and see it in the flesh and taste one of those cocktails!! Well done!

On 2010-03-31 12:25, TIKIWAGON wrote:
Great place Si and Nina, looks fantastic! We haven't been on here for ages so hadn't seen the pictures, but glad we did tonight. Must come by and see it in the flesh and taste one of those cocktails!! Well done!

Thanks. You're both welcome anytime. Just drop us a text or email and we'll sort something.

I think I'd better post some more pics, cos my bar looks a lot more cluttered now.

Hey Kon',

Sounds like you need to shake a Mai Tai and get that camera fired up!

Nice balance, seems like a great place to get your sip on

Thanks all. I'll get some up to date photo's done this weekend.

K-H

I need to post some updated photo's this week as I have managed to add some more items to the bar.
Question though, what is essential in a home tiki bar? I have the following which I consider to be essential, and the rest will grow organically but I wondered if I am missing anything:
Tiki
Bar
Rum
Moai
Mugs
Bamboo
Thatch
Fishing Float Lamps
Puffer Fish Lamp
Fising nets and cork floats
Lei's
Trader Vic's Tapa cloth