Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

OHANA 2010 - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies

Just found out I have that weekend off, and now no tickets,arrrgggg!!!!
I wanted to go!!!!!

I wanted to let everyone know that I will have my booth set up both Friday and Saturday for your shopping pleasure!

Ohana is the East Coast debut of my new "Oceania Collection!"

All new carvings inspired by the islands of Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia.

Stop by early for first dibs on many unique one-of-a-kind tiki decor items!

I look forward to seeing you in Lake George for OHANA 2010!

On 2010-06-19 08:31, Lake Surfer wrote:

I wanted to let everyone know that I will have my booth set up both Friday and Saturday for your shopping pleasure!

Ohana is the East Coast debut of my new "Oceania Collection!"

All new carvings inspired by the islands of Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia.

Stop by early for first dibs on many unique one-of-a-kind tiki decor items!

I look forward to seeing you in Lake George for OHANA 2010!

Yay! We're so enjoying the piece we bought from you last year at OHANA - can't wait to see the new stuff!

Woo Hoo, thank you Bargoyle!!
I got tickets and booked a room at the Holiday Inn (most I have ever spent on a hotel). Hoping for great weather as I'd like to ride the new bike there.
And can't wait to meet everyone as this is my first "Tiki Event"!!

Alright Lightnin' Steve! Great you'll be joining us!!!

B

So Squids is like "okay Babalu, let's play a couple of rounds of Putt-Putt for coffee"...I'm like, okay buddy - You're on!!

Then, he begins to tell me all about how he and his brother use to spend countless untold hours building little putt-putt courses in their back yard when they was kids...I'm thinkin" - hummm....Then, I find out that the dude is bringing his own putter?! wtf...

I am getting the funny feeling that I am being set up...yes, I think we have a putt-putt ringer among us. At any rate, I can't wait to hug one of those big carved bears on the course! :)

We is primed, rested, and ready for some putt-putt action baby!!

Lake - your going to have to let me buy you a drink! I can't wait to see the new collection!

Like Master Lake Surfer, Squid and I will also have our separate tables set up on Friday for a few hours. A while back we collaborated on a Papua-Omma-Mow-Mow drum mug together...We will be bringing a very special limited edition (only 4 of each of these new colors) "Ohana Papua-Omma-Mow-Mows". They will be offered at the special Oasis price of $65. each.

Also, debuting for the first time ever, will be my new Islander's Menu inspired Cobras Fang mug. Only this year have 2 of the original Cobra Fang Mugs surfaced, and in keeping with the original 'crypto' status of this mugs original design, I am only going to do a 'very' limited amount of these mugs...a few will be offered here at Ohana (nos #2 - #11), and only a few will be offered for sale at Oasis...that's it. Ohana priced at $85. each.

So please stop and say hi...I will be the guy with the new "lightning the Diving Horse" t-shirt, and the newbe badge on.

Sweeeet lookin stuff Babalu. LOVE the cobra mugs. And setting up on friday!?!? Nice.

Taking a play out of Squid's book, huh? "Sell everything early, then pack up & party" lol.

Cant wait to see everyone. Still a bunch of last minute stuff to take care of, so I'm off!!

See ya at the Lake!!

C

YEAH, Lightning Steve :D - looking forward to seeing you at THE LAKE!!!

Awesome stuff Babalu!
You're making the drooling start early over all of the awesome stuff that will be available at Ohana!!

I have a newbie question, with the venders, is it all cash only or do they do Visa?

I just hope if I ride the bike down that the two saddle bags will be enough room for all I want to bring back,LOL!!

C

GREAT vendors this year with LOTS of stuff - hope those saddle bags are big - LOL!

Most will be cash only, though there may be one or two that take credit cards, too.

Luckily there's also a bank with an ATM next door to the tiki....!

Great, thanks for the info!!

T

So close I can taste it! One more day of work then it's off to OHANA!
Can't wait to see everyone.

AmAziNG MUgs GuYs!

So stoked to have the Masters of Clay and Ceramic with us for the weekend!

Babalu... I witnessed Squid's mini golf prowess at Oasis last year when he had a course set up in his booth!

The trophy for Ohana is pretty sweet this year... I'll be handing it over to Bargoyle on Friday morning, who will be handing him off the the winner after that!

Have a safe trip guys, and we'll see you at the Lake!

Jebus, on top of all his other talents Squid is a mini-golf pro too?!??!

B

Like the guy who brings his own cue to the pool hall, never bet against the guy who brings his own putter to mini-golf.

Although I hear the putter is pretty cool.. bamboo handled, & all tikifyed... cant wait to see it.

(And the stories that it was soaked in the blood of 100 chickens to keep the bad juju away from it & squid's game in top form are false.... i think)

I just wanted to wish all you cats a great Luau By The Lake. I really wish I could join you guys, but it seems I already used my Get Out Of Jail Free card up ;)

Have a blast - the first round's on me (cyber-speaking of course, wouldn't want to pick up that tab!).

Enjoy!

Thanks Jetsetter, you're a gentleman - we'll miss you at the Lake!

Cobra's Fang mug is rummalicious!

This will be my second year at Ohana but I kinda missed the room crawl last year. Also, I will be accompanied by a new set of my Demon Rumrunners.

Would someone run down room crawl etiquette for us? We don't wish to appear rude (just drunk).

Thanks!!!

On 2010-06-23 10:09, TraderPeg wrote:

This will be my second year at Ohana but I kinda missed the room crawl last year. Also, I will be accompanied by a new set of my Demon Rumrunners.

Would someone run down room crawl etiquette for us? We don't wish to appear rude (just drunk).

Thanks!!!

Basically, it's pace yourself, leave a lil' somethin' in the tip jar for your generous room crawl hosts, and have fun!

See you there!

On 2010-06-23 10:17, Hibiscus wrote:

On 2010-06-23 10:09, TraderPeg wrote:

Thanks!!!

Thanks for asking TraderPeg! I was wondering about this too (my first Ohana!)

[ Edited by: quispquake 2010-06-23 11:55 ]

I would like to thank Sully (Bargoyle) and Caroline (croe67) for all they have done to make my first Tiki Event, a Super Tiki Event.

I went from being bummed out at having the weekend off and Luau on the Lake being sold out, to getting tickets, and getting a room at the Tiki resort!!! I have been wanting to go to one of the big tiki get together for some time but they always seem to happen on times I can't get off. Well this one is now a GO!!!! Thanks to those two people who have gone out of their way (while being extremely busy) to helping make my weekend happen. I am now so looking forward to a great motorcycle ride through some beautiful country side, with the destination of Tiki Mania on the East coast!!

Many Mahalo To you two!!

Lightning Steve

How is the Luau going???

Pictures Please!!

That was the most fun I have had with my clothes on in a very long time.

Our camera took one too many drops over the weekend so I only have a couple of pix to share..... as soon as we find the camera cable.

For those of you who didn't get Sully's email-blasts, we started off Ohana this year with a Prom Party to take advantage of the absolute wonderfulness of Club Whispers in the Tiki Resort. This ballroom managed to get stuck in time somewhere about the middle of the Disco-Era and we took full advantage of it! Some of the photos are already showing up no Facebook and Flickr and I am going to see if I can get them all pulled into one place for your enjoyment.

Visit

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/photos/FOMProm

every so often to see what other blackmai...... photographic silliness has turned up.

Opps, hit submit before I could attach the best photo yet...

Quad-Squad-A-Go-Go!

thank you Trader Vixen for this shot!

Quad-Squad-A-Go-Go!

From the forthcoming album, "Quad Squad Disco 2525." :D

K

Why is "The Hustle" running through my head now?

X
xtine posted on Mon, Jun 28, 2010 1:43 PM

This OHANA did NOT disappoint! Truly a wonderful time! I miss it already.

H

Whew...back home now and wondering why I'm not sitting at the pool listening to great music with fun people. DAMN YOU, REAL LIFE!!!

Thanks so much again to all the organizers and folks who did things big and small to make it such an awesome time for the rest of us. Thanks also to Sandy and all the folks at the Tiki. You are all amazing! Mahalo nui to all of you.

Here are a whole bunch of our pictures from the weekend, in no particular order...

[ Edited by: Hibiscus 2010-06-28 19:26 ]

I'm so glad you got a picture of the Electric Luauland Room! Our camera died so I only have memory to rely on and the drink in that room was doing a really good job of destroying those particular brain cells.

What's up with all the Tin Foil Hats?
Fascinating!
Happy to see so many smiles in the pics!
Thanks for sharing them with us!

H

They're, like, to keep the alien transmissions out of our heads, maaaan. :wink:

It's all due to one of the many creatively-themed room crawl rooms - think LOTS of aluminum foil papering the walls and furniture, an Alien Resistance Movement, and lovely green-haired alien ladies dressed like June Cleaver passing out booze...er, I mean JUICE.

9T

Had a chance to pull out a few pictures. A weekend of great bands, go-go dancers, friends, rooms, food, drink...s, shows and pool surfing. I have to say, the FOM members were on top of things, complete with release of liability for my pool side tiki surfing. I'm the first to have signed the 'Jack Ass' clause.

H

Darn, we somehow missed your pool surfing, even after you told us you were going to try it!

I have to say, 9th Tiki, you guys were insanely good! We loved seeing you with the go-go backdrop inside the disco (kind of a perfect setting, I think!), as well as on the balcony the night before. You guys are fantastic live! Much love!

There was just so much good music that weekend - every band was so different, and all of them terrific.

Hey! I missed that too!

9th Wave were OUTSTANDING!!!! On balcony AND in the disco with the Go-Go lights. It made me actually glad we had to move indoors for that because although poolside is cool, those lights really gelled with the Go-go/Surf vibe.

You will also find lots of photos being posted on the Ohana Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/OhanaLuau

Z

wow where to begin. That was the best tiki event Ive ever seen!

I started to reach for my wallet at checkin when I saw the glasses and Trader Vics shirts and then they tell me it is all free and hand us one of each?! How do they keep the ticket price so low

Crazy good bands, cool swizzles, killer cocktails and everything running smoothly even in the rain.

Cant wait for next time but I dont know how you top this one.

Aloha, Zonker,

Glad you had fun!

Our sponsors are incredibly generous and we can't thank them enough... Ryan & Wood Distilleries (Folly Cove Rum) for the room crawl glasses... Trader Vic's for the bartender shirts and drink bowls... Royer Corporation for yet another kick ass swizzle stick... and many others that you can read about on the F.O.M. news page.

The bands were awesome... especially Waitiki and 9th Wave who had to pack up their gear, move inside out of the rain, and then play their set.

And all of you were awesome! When the rain forced the bands and silent auction inside it seemed like every single attendee picked up an auction item, an amp, a music stand and carried it inside. You're all truly Ohana.

Mahalo.

On 2010-06-30 07:08, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Hey! I missed that too!

9th Wave were OUTSTANDING!!!! On balcony AND in the disco with the Go-Go lights. It made me actually glad we had to move indoors for that because although poolside is cool, those lights really gelled with the Go-go/Surf vibe.

No doubt - that was one of my favorite memories of Ohana (and there were a lot of great memories)! When we got chased in by the rain and decided to move the bands to the disco (Whispers...shhhhh), I had no idea what to expect. Surrounded by those incredible walls of light that looked like they were stolen from an early 70's game show set, 9th Wave set up on the dance floor with TikiJen out front (go go) and Elena (hula hoop) on the stage behind. The room transformed into a '68/'69 'Laugh In' go go surf party! Definitely a happy accident that I hope we got some good pics of (I know I dragged some photographers into the room...unfortunately the pics I took on my phone did not do the scene justice).

A big thanks to everyone who chipped in to make this fantastic weekend a reality!

9T

First, I’d like to say thank you for all the kind comments, support and encouragement you all gave us (9th Wave) after Friday night’s guerrilla style balcony music and Saturday afternoon 1970’s surf music game show interlude. I was not able to see what was going behind us as we were playing. Does anyone have any pictures they can post? I was happily surprised to see the number of people willing to come inside and enjoy some surf, spy-fi, spaghetti western, surf exotica and anything else we played. Most of the band performances were recorded Friday and Saturday.

Other highlights of the weekend; Art-dog showed the Gilligan’s Island episode with the voodoo Tiki god. I was laughing and flashing back to those days when the show was on at 4:30 pm after school on channel 30 (more magic powder). Batman surfs the Joker which followed was the best.

The buffet dinner was very enjoyable, as was the dinner show. I managed to purchase some interesting tiki items from the venders before having to move equipment, I saw much variety and craftsmanship.

On the golden emcee voice of Jet Sterling - many try to match the swank and attention grabbing technique, but all fall short.

All the bands were great – particularly Bamboo Saxotica and Fisherman (including go-go dancing!), and of course Waitiki.

I’d like to say on behalf of 9th Wave, we had a great time, with so many wonderful memories on and off the playing field. Thanks to Bargoyle & those involved with the Ohana event publication for making Sandy’s article on the history of surf music look great, and not cutting it even though it was 3 pages long!
After the North East Tiki Tour II, I wrote the tune Island of the Lost Tiki. This year has left me with high emotions (rum high - saturation) and I have already been inspired to write a new surfin tune, Poseidon’s Wave.

It has been an honor and a privilege to have been able to attend and play alongside great bands, share the stage and party with the all who attended this year’s Ohana event.

From the surf side,

Mahalo

H

There are a TON of pictures posted in the Port on the FOM website! Lots of groovy 9th Wave shots, too! Head on over and be prepared to stay a while...

And yes, Jet Sterling IS the Golden Voice of Ohana! Awesome job with the MC-ing, Mr. Sterling!

C

OK, so it's really hard to cull it down to just a few pictures to post, but here's just a taste of the FUN that was Ohana 2010 - can't wait for next year!!!!

WELCOME!

A few views of the CRAZY rooms on the room crawl!!!!

Witco world?:

In the Lair of the Crazyassbrainfish:

Aliens?:

A little Neon....

WOW!
There's a Mint Forest in my drink!!

The ceremonial naming of the tiki that has stood at the entrance to The Tiki since the 50's. He's been thirsty for a LONG time!
I dub thee I'KE (said: eek-a)

mmmmmmmmmm.....RUM!

A couple views of the 2nd Dole Cocktail Contest at Ohana.....

& a bit of music....

And......last but not least.....who can forget Hillbilly Fun Park in Lake George!?!?!?

C

a brief post-script to Ohana attendees.....

The FOM was selling a fundraising CD of cool tunes at Ohana, with proceeds of these on-going CD sales going to the Easter Island Foundation.

We understand that some of the CDs that were distributed are "challenged".....i.e., they don't work so well.

If you happen to be in possession of one of these CDs, please send me a PM & we will make arrangements to replace the tunes that you may not be hearing when you try to play the disc.

also - a few of these were sold at Hukilau - if you hold one of the non-working CDs, please PM me & we will make similar arrangements.

MAHALO for your understanding!!!!!

C

Here's a very nice article that talks about the whole weekend of fun at the year's OHANA Luau at the Lake, with a few more pictures, etc. It's hard to capture how much fun it was with just words & pictures, but it should give you all a feel. And, bring back some good memories for those who were there....

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php

Happy Reading!

Man, that was a fun time! You're right - it's hard to convey the fun and camaraderie in words and pictures alone.

Can't wait for next year!

B

Just a heads up,

for those who were there & didnt get around to buying any Ohana stuff, what little is left is on the website now:

http://www.luauatthelake.com/store.html

Even if you didnt join us, feel free to buy. Supplies are VERY limited on everything.

Also, if you havent seen the viral video, go check it out... some worthwile info re: 2011 hidden in there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtS9SbOEKE

Mahalo, and we'll see ya at the Lake!

anybody have a picture of the T Shirt?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies