Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anyone tried the Kraken yet?

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies

HT

x2 on trying a Painkiller (one of my favorite drinks!) with Kraken.

Hale, you can make tiki torches with all your empties :)

Saw this bottle at the local store and commented on it to my husband but didn't buy. Might have to reconsider it in order to mix up some painkillers. (Don't tell but I've been on a martini kick lately. When we start drinking outside I'll switch.)

HT

Mike,
My empties will serve as the unmarked bottles in my home bar. It's the Aku Aku Room at the Kraken House. I dig pouring by the loops. And I've seen some great stuff here on TC with them, so I mayyyyyyy have to collect some for crafts. :)

I bought a bottle based on this thread..

I too love the bottle. Will make a great empty for my home-made 80-proof LH..

The rum? Mmm.. Not my favorite. I tried it in a few r&c's w/ Mexican coke & lime. The proof packs a punch, but the flavor is pretty lacking IMHO. I will try it in a painkiller when I get some pineapple juice & get a better opinion...

Here is my "Kraken Killer" recipe
I think this is better then the classic "Painkiller" which I am still a big fan of.

In a Cocktail Shaker, half filled with ice

2 oz. Kraken Rum
1 oz. Cruzan Coconut Rum
1 oz. Monin Coconut Syrup (I like this much better then Coco Lopez, which is lumpy & has a chalky after taste to it)
4 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Orange Juice

Give it a good shaking, pour into a tall glass or mug of your choice with more ice
and dust with Nutmeg.

Now enjoy the hell out of it!
Please let me know if you prefer this over the classic recipe, most people I serve this to, do....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-16 21:29 ]

Thanks for the recipe! Now I know what I will be trying out tomorrow night. I found The Kraken in my local recently and have been experimenting with it - it mixes well.

I also like Monin coconut syrup, mainly because you can store it more easily than coconut milk etc. and it gives the same effect.

Now I need a little plastic kraken to go on the drink....

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ Edited by: Club Nouméa 2013-03-18 04:05 ]

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Mar 18, 2013 12:14 PM

2 oz. Kraken Rum
1 oz. Cruzan Coconut Rum
1 oz. Monin Coconut Syrup (I like this much better then Coco Lopez, which is lumpy & has a chalky after taste to it)
4 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Orange Juice

Give it a good shaking, pour into a tall glass or mug of your choice with more ice
and dust with Nutmeg.

Now enjoy the hell out of it!
Please let me know if you prefer this over the classic recipe, most people I serve this to, do....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-16 21:29 ]

Sounds yummy, Ill have to try one .

HT

Used it in a regular painkiller. It was quite good, but felt like something was missing.
Thanks for the recommendation ATP.
Oh, and if anyone out there has trouble with Coco Lopez, I suggest dumping the can, oil and all, into a blender. Makes it smooth as silk, and although it'll still chunk up as soon as it hits other ingredients, it mixes, and stays mixed after you shake/blend it.

On 2013-03-24 07:22, Hale Tiki wrote:
Oh, and if anyone out there has trouble with Coco Lopez, I suggest dumping the can, oil and all, into a blender. Makes it smooth as silk, and although it'll still chunk up as soon as it hits other ingredients, it mixes, and stays mixed after you shake/blend it.

Coco Lopez is not a problem if you warm it up before using. First I warm the can so the contents liquefy and mix, then pour what I need for drinks. Remainder goes into a glass jar, then I store it in my fridge until needed again. Then I warm it up, use what I need, and return it to my fridge.

Lather, rinse, repeat - pretty simple. I'm not aware that any of the above has a negative impact on the flavor, but it could if you were to actually heat it too much. I would never "cook" it -- just warm it until it mixes well and can be poured or otherwise measured out nicely for drinks.

HT

Oh, and I used the remainder of what was in the blender with some actual bananas (read: not the plantains we all call bananas), pineapple juice, and a little milk, and drank it on the way to work this morning.

I kind of want to use it as a drink base, to be honest. Hahaha. Delicious.

HT, sounds like a very tasty way to clean your blender!

Where I live I haven't seen much confusion between plantains and bananas. There is enough Cuban and other culture here-and-there that folks seem to grow up knowing that there is more than one type of banana-looking thing out there.

HT

Maaaaannnn it'd be nice to have some delicious Cuban food up here, Ace.

I guess where you are, any close to the real thing and you'd have to be in Cuba!

The further south you go in Florida the better the Cuban food gets.

What we really need here is Mexican food. The only Mexican here is the "Americanized" version.

Oh, and we also need a Trader Joe's. Send us one of those, please...

I give you,

the OCTO-CANE

3 oz The Kraken rum
.5 oz lime juice
1.5 oz passionfruit syrup, or 2 oz passionfruit juice and .5 oz orgeat

stir with ice,

LOOKA! It's a ArchiteuthisPhoon!

And if you drink a second one it's an Architeuthis d(e)ux.

:)

Sad that taxonomy/nomenclature humor has such a narrow audience.

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-08-14 04:44 ]

I can categorically state that Kraken Spiced Rum is one of my favourite rums to mix. It's amazing straight of course, but in a nice Cuba Libre it's unmatched with anything i've tried yet (and i've tried a lot).

A big lure of rum for people these days (especially those not regular drinkers) is the romanticism of piracy during the days of the British empire. With Pirates big in Hollywood I think they (better later than never) jumped on the bandwagon for promotion and they've gone from strength to strength...

This is, of course, my personal taste but I do suggest you give it a try, the bottle is rather moonshine/pirate grog like and the gimmick just sets them apart from Morgans/Sailor Jerrys. It gives them an almost instant rapport, and of course the history.

These are my thoughts on the matter anyway. I may be wrong on some of them, but in my mind it's a very good rum for the price they want you to pay for it (Here in the U.K. its £23 which is about average for a decent bottle of rum).

I bought a huge bottle if it on sale for around $20. Should last me years.

Spiced rum has a bad rap, but I like Kraken quite a bit as a mixer. To me, Sailor Jerry tastes like gasoline in comparison.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-08-23 16:45 ]

well, despite my enthusiasm a few weeks back for the OCTO-CANE, my overall view is that The Kraken sucks.

my wife does like it however in a Cuba Libre.

but me- I've yet to find a worthwhile use for spiced rum (except for mixing in the Christmas eggnog).

gotta agree w porpoise. I was wayyy underwhelmed w this rum..

HT

Oh, there's something quite fantastic you can do with it. You can use it to make some other liqueurs that are out of this world. It is, after a all, a SPICED rum with a high alcohol content.

Underwhelmed is the term I would use as well. Over the top vanilla spice sweetness that was hard to mix into anything more complicated than Rum & Coke/Cuba Libre. Egg nog probably would have been a good way to use up the bottle, and Hale Tiki's suggestion about using it as a base in homemade liqueurs is a good one.

The one spiced rum I have really enjoyed is Old New Orleans Canun Spice. They take a totally different approach with this one and go for a very mild apple and pumpkin spice type of flavor profile (I have no idea what the apple spices are but those are the flavors I get) and it overall is really nice. Wish I had another bottle of that.

The

I usually hate spiced rums as well until I recently helped with a rum tasting for Rockabilly Luau where we featured The Lash spiced rum out of Trinidad. A true spiced rum that tastes like spices, not just nutmeg and vanilla. I'm not sure about it's availability, but I can promise you it will change your mind about spiced rum.

S

Hey,

My local (Glendale CA) Trader Joe's has some Kraken Rum on the shelves. 16.99. Couple of bucks less than Bev mo.

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies