Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anyone tried the Kraken yet?

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies

Sometimes simpler is better.....

Kraken and Dr Pepper with a twist of lemon.

Thanks for the suggestions, anything more "tiki-ish"?

A

On 2010-07-08 06:14, MadDogMike wrote:

I recently made a Navy Grog where I subbed Kraken for the dark Jamaican rum and found it to be very nice.

On 2010-07-08 06:14, MadDogMike wrote:

Add a paper umbrella?

:wink:

If I don't get some more drink tips I may have to stick with what I know - cooking

Kraken Balls
2 cups finely chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups crushed ginger snaps
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup Kraken
Powdered sugar

Combine nuts, crumbs, honey, and booze. Chill about 15 minutes. Roll into small balls, coat in powdered sugar. Let sit a day or so before serving. Makes 24-30 depending on how big your balls are. Remind people that there is indeed booze therein, because, you know, there is.

I will have to pickup a bottle and see how it is in cocktail's mike, funny cause I was in Hi-Time's today
Have not been in the store in quite a while, hit the rum isle and mixers section for some cocktail ideas
Did check out the Kraken but ended up with Cruzan Rum.

I wonder if the Kraken would be OK in a Mai Tai?

T

Did Dark n' Stormies with a bottle of this stuff and was pleased with the results.

On 2010-07-08 23:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I wonder if the Kraken would be OK in a Mai Tai?

It is a bit sweet for a Mai Tai in my opinion. Maybe if you stepped down the Bar Syrup and stepped up a wee bit the lime it would be OK.

Or, go for a Hawaiian Mai Tai with the pineapple and stuff, then you could pour a pretty heavy floater of Kraken and it should be very yummy.

Thanks C & A!

Now we're talkin'! Keep those tips coming :)

H

oops wrong place at the wrong time.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2010-07-09 18:09 ]

I was at my local Chevy's the other day and they were serving this guy on their house Kraken drink. Gimmicky I know, but I was in one of those states of mind that trying one made sense to me. They mixed it with a mango puree or nectar, but I'm not sure what else was in it. It wasn't bad.

John-O posted the list of 10 Rums Everyone Should Have and Kraken got an Honorable Mention

I'm VERY new to this whole "mixology" concept. I guess a Chi Chi made with rum is technically Pina Colada but I'm thinking that a Chi Chi made with Kraken could be called a "Cleavage"; Kraken + Chi Chi = Crack in the Chi Chi's = Cleavage :lol:

Just picked up a bottle at Hi-Time liquor,Going to try a few Mai Tai recipes
not the classic Trader Vics recipe,I will start with the fresh juice variations as this is a flavored rum
so it would be more conducive with the 1940/1950's Mai Kai recipes with Pineapple & Orange juices.

I will report later....

Release the Kraken!

A riff on the classic Trader Vic's Navy Grog.

3/4 oz. Fresh Grapefruit juice (white)
3/4 oz. Fresh Lime juice
1/2 oz. Allspice Liqueur (Berry Hill)
1 oz. The Kraken Spiced Rum
1 oz. El Dorado Demerara Rum
1/2 oz. Lemon Hart Demerara 151 Rum
Dash of Angostura Bitters

Shake all ingredients, except for the 151 rum, with 1/2 cup of crushed ice, then pour into a double-old fashioned glass. Add more crushed ice to fill. Float 151 rum on top. Garnish with mint and a rock-candy swizzle stick.

That sounds pretty tasty. This is the only spiced rum I've come across that is just as good straight as it is mixed.

So after few variations,this is the recipe that tastes pretty good with the Kraken Rum.

Kraken Mai Tai

In a Coctail Shaker,half filled with ice
1 Ounce Appleton's Light Rum
1/2 Ounce Orange Curacao
1/4 Ounce fresh Lime Juice
Splash of Orgeat
1 1/2 Ounce Pineapple Juice
1 1/2 Ounce Orange Juice
Shake and add to a Glass,add more ice
Top with 1/2 Ounce of Kraken Rum
Splash of Grenadine

Add fresh Mint & a Lime

Looks good ATP, thanks

I made Kraken Pina Coladas the other night with pineapple chunks, coconut milk, ice and a touch of lime. Turned out pretty good but the black rum discoloroed the drink a little :D

We like the Kraken so much, Kraken Mai Tais is all we have made all summer.

I tried my first Kraken lsat night. I tried it on the rocks and I really enjoyed it. Very nice subtle spice taste.

Had a Kraken Mai Tai after work last night, can't recommend them enough!

On 2010-11-12 05:25, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
I tried my first Kraken lsat night. I tried it on the rocks and I really enjoyed it. Very nice subtle spice taste.

Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me askin'

cheers,
Joe.

The Kraken web site has a store locator. It helped me find some in my area and I live in out in the tumbleweeds

I got a bottle of it for my B-day last month as a gift.
I am not crazy about it strait, and I am too lazy to mix drinks.
So I haven't opened it yet.

anyone wanna come over to give me an excuse to open it,
and make some drinks?

actually I got about 5 bottles of different rums.
and I only drink when people come over.
So yer all invited.

Jeff(btd)

Just got a bottle, but haven't tried it yet. Their website is awesome!!!

I think it's decent with ginger beer, but it does nicely as the rum in Cuba Libre.

Has anyone tried it in cooking? Like cakes or whatever?

Kraken Balls
2 cups finely chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups crushed ginger snaps
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup Kraken
Powdered sugar

Combine nuts, crumbs, honey, and booze. Chill about 15 minutes. Roll into small balls, coat in powdered sugar. Let sit a day or so before serving. Makes 24-30 depending on how big your balls are

I tried it out, pretty good. Plus, since they're not baked, the alcohol stays in :D

RB

Kraken Balls
Ouch! :lol:

I had limes, grapefruit juice (Simply Juice not Grapefruit juice cocktail) and cinnamon (Ceylon not cassia) So I figured it was time to make Kraken Donga Punch. Why not? The cinnamon syrup should mix well with the spiced rum.

And how was it? Well, I never tried Donga Punch before but I thought it tasted pretty good :D

On 2010-11-16 15:48, Pikeys Dog wrote:

Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me askin'

cheers,
Joe.

Best price is on-line at The Whisky Exchange. I haven't found it in an UK off-licence yet, other than Gerry's in Soho, London - if you are there.

H

On 2010-01-23 16:32, PiPhiRho wrote:
Another excellent spiced rum is Old New Orleans Cajun Spice Rum from Celebration Distillery in New Orleans. It contains a little bit of cayenne pepper along with a healthy amount of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. The rums are a combination of their white and five year. The five year is used only in the spiced rum. The New Orleans rums are generally very good. So between New Orleans and Kraken I am actually starting to change my opinion of spiced rums. They are at the top. We all know what is at the bottom.

Oh good. I was just reading a drink recipe for PO´AHA PUNCH at A Mountain of Crushed Ice and it called for Old New Orleans Cajun Spice Rum. My first action was to search TC to see if anyone here has tried and commented on this rum. Sure enough, PiPhiRho weighs in! And if PiPhiRho likes it, you know it's good. Thanks Paul!

A
aquarj posted on Thu, Feb 3, 2011 5:59 PM

FWIW, Hi-Time is having a special on the Kraken 1.75 liter bottle for $19.99, good for the month of Feb.

This post will be useless in the future, but maybe that's true for a lot of my contributions here!

BTW, since the discussion morphed to a mention of the Old New Orleans cajun spiced rum, I've been meaning to try that for a while, for all the praise it gets. DrinkUpNY seems to be one of the few places I could find it.

-Randy

I use Kraken in a few of my drink creations alongside Kilo Kai, which is much sweeter and not as bold on the caramel. Together in the correct amounts alongside Jerry's, they're absolutely AWESOME for hot buttered rum.

The Kraken has (finally) been released in Ontario! I found it in my local LCBO store last weekend. When I checked their website, it was listed but hadn't even been assigned a product number yet, so they must have JUST stocked it. I quickly grabbed two bottles before it has a chance to "go away" again (a typical LCBO move). It's tasty. Although I'm not ready to give up my Sailor Jerry any time soon, Kraken definitely has a prominent place on my liquor shelf, if just for the display value alone.

On 2010-11-16 20:52, VampiressRN wrote:
Has anyone tried it in cooking? Like cakes or whatever?

I also experimented using Kraken and a tad of Zacapa mixed with dark chocolate, then dipped in a few strawberries. Words can not describe. Do it...

Kraken 1.75 liter bottles spotted for sale at Costco for $21.99
(this sighting is from the Culver City warehouse; but likely to be available in others as well, of course)

I bought the Kraken rum at the store because I fell in love with the bottle... never tried it before that. I got it home and after a few days we kracked it open to give it a try. It's quite tasty! Liked the bottle so much I had my wedding invitations printed with the Kraken on it. I guess I should post that in another forum though. :)
Bottom line... try the Kraken!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2011 3:44 PM

On 2011-04-06 13:48, mermaidkate wrote:
I bought the Kraken rum at the store because I fell in love with the bottle...

Me too! So much so that I made a lamp out of it.

On 2011-04-06 15:44, Murph wrote:

I bought the Kraken rum at the store because I fell in love with the bottle...

Me too! So much so that I made a lamp out of it.

I love your lamp!!

...Liked the bottle so much I had my wedding invitations printed with the Kraken on it...

I would have thought mermaids and kraken would be natural sworn enemies! :lol:

Welcome to TC MermaidKate

surprisingly found Kraken in my local village store.
I've bought a bottle just because it looked good.
it was worth it .. we like kraken here :)

HT

I've got about 20-some empty bottles of that stuff since it was introduced.
Used to refer to it as blackout juice.
And one night between a friend and I, polished off two bottles.
Makes the best damn rum and cokes.

I agree. I don't do many rum & cokes, but a couple of years ago bought a trial bottle of Kraken on a friend's prompting and found the same to be true. Rum & cokes are often so-so, but with Kraken, I got a surprisingly good result. Your mileage may vary...

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2013-03-11 11:39 ]

Also, DO NOT DRINK STRAIGHT.

Don't believe me? Go ahead, try it.

I've actually had many a discussion with bartenders about Kraken. The mixologists hate it, because it's not a good spirit on it's own (which usually results in them pouring me an ounce or two, and insisting I drink it on it's own. And I'm not a man to refuse a free drink.), but the bartenders who understand drinks with the word "and" in them love it, though it appears to be mostly a vanity thing with them. Kraken is cool, so is Sailor Jerry, with no insight as to the flavor profile of either.

Great damn bottle though. It's what I'm using for my Don's/Buhen unmarked bottles at my home bar, hence the saving of empties. And if anyone wants to save their empties and give them to me at HRHH5, I'd be happy to take them off your hands instead of them going to waste.

Kraken makes a great "Painkiller" which I call a "Kraken Killer"

We do make a lot of Painkillers -- they are always a quick and fairly simple crowd pleaser -- and will have to try it with Kraken. Thanks for the tip.

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies