Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Space mountain with the lights on

Pages: 1 14 replies

TM

interesting,
why would they do that?

Jeff(btd)

thanks! you ruined it now....
i thought it was some hyperdimensional gateway located on the property....

I didn't see a lot of "space" in the mountain...mostly steel...hmmmmmmm

MB

I thought that was cool, thanks Lucas.

MB

Lots of "space" when it's dark. :)

UB

On 2009-11-05 15:55, lucas vigor wrote:
Space mountain with the lights on

I swear that was the name of a hit of acid I took in the 70's! :D

I remember riding Space Mountain at Grad Night 1977, first time I had ever rode a roller coaster in the dark, way cool!

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 10:51 AM

Yay! Grad Night '77...I was there too MDM...my 8th grade graduation party.

As a roller coaster enthusiast a chance to explore the building (and ride)Space Mountain with the building's safety lights ON was greatly anticipated. As a rare chance to do this, I took up the offer.

The experience was a bummer. Being able to see everything - reminded one of a glorified portable carnival coaster. SM is a much better ride experience with the safety lights OFF (of course!)

I was skeptical when I heard about Disney installing audio to the ride. I love Dick Dale but as a soundtrack on this roller coaster? Marginal improvement.

Audio soundtracks to roller coasters is a trend I personally don't embrace.

Example: Magic Mountain with its X2 and Terminator rides incorporating audio on-board somehow lessens the ride experience for me. Kids don't seem to mind though. Just ramblin'.

The first time I went to Disney, Space Mountain was closed. Big bummer, but the lights were on as the Tomorrowland Transit went through it, so I got the "lit tour" too!

Now SM is my favorite ride. I hope they never update the 80's video on loop in the waiting line.

The last time my girlfriend and I went to Disneyland, Space Mountain came to a complete stop and all of the lights flipped on about a quarter of they way thru the ride. We were stuck on there for about 15 minutes until some employees were able to make their way up the maze of stairs so everyone could get out of the ride. I'm not a big fan of heights, so walking across the metal bridges and stairs was a lot more scary than the ride has ever been!

Rode SM while in high school with a girlfriend. Remember they used to strap you in together, one in front of the other? Her head kept bouncing around with the turns and nailed me in the lip - bloodied it. Best ride ever.

K
KeithH posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 2:02 PM

Back in 91 (while spending the summer working at DL) some friends and I all hopped on SM after our Sunday morning Mickey Mouse Pancakes at the Wheelhouse over in Frontierland/NOS. We took over the entire rocket. As we climbed to the top we could hear the breakdown spiel start - but we continued onward. Immediately after cresting the top of the lift we hit the first set of brakes and our rocket came to a complete stop as the lights on the mountain were flipped on. A friendly CM came out to let us know what was going on and we convinced him to take pictures/video of us. We had to wait for the rest of the rockets to be cleared out of our path and then we were sent down the mountain with the lights on. Of course we got to go again with the lights off too.

I'll have to dig out that video (old-school full size camcorder) and see about getting it online.

Didnt read everyones reply, but that was definately a cast member night. Notice that there was no big line? That was cool to see, and its good to see that the rails and support structures are as strong as they are! For some reason I've always wondered how frail the steel might have been!(I don't know why, either!) What really gets me is that I wait an hour plus in line for a 2 minute ride!

I don't now, but having had annual passes many times in the past,
and living a few miles from there.
I would never ever stand in line more than 20 min for a ride there now, if I were to have a pass again.

I went to California Adventure a few months back.
and waiting 30 min in line for the roller coaster was like pure torture for me.

its all about going on cold drizzly wednesdays in Nov.
nobody there then.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 14 replies