Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Dick Dale with The Pyronauts @ Auburn Saturday, 12/19/09 with pre-party @ the VampTiki Lounge

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

Wow, that was great fun! I haven't had that much fun in a long time (my Mom passed last month some of you recall). I really needed to get out and I feel so blessed to know so many wonderful friends.

Marlene, thanks for an awesome night and your hospitality. This was the first trip to your digs and I'm certain not the last! Matt is still talking about the mixer intervention, ha! So next time we'll bring a few things to aid your lovely Rum collection. I was happy to mix the new drink, The Key Lime Grog! I might actually make that concoction again, I'll play with it, but it wasn't too bad, surprisingly!

Guess we need Brad, the master mixologist, hopefully next time.

The Pyronauts absolutely ripped! They were awesome, we loved the energy and humor and I'm sorry I missed them at Brenda's party. Keep us informed when they play again, we'll be there! Debbie bought us the Christmas CD and we listened to it on our drive home. Fun!

From the pre party to the bar party at the Brew & Cue and Too Lit to Quit, the band that couldn't finish a song, to the Auburn venue and Dick Dale, it was an awesome night.

Hope to see many of you new faces in the near future :)

wish I coulda been there.
here is a vid for those that want to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAkHj6IJoQ

Cheers Jeff(btd)

That's awesome...thanks Jeff. :)

Thanks also to everyone for the nice hostess gifts...and a special shout out to abstractiki for the beautiful bamboo and 1961surf for the fabulous mug!!!

Hey Melody...can hardly wait for another one of your Key Lime Grogs. :wink:

TWO

That was a great show, well worth the drive. It was nice to meet some of the Sac area Ohana too.
Sorry we missed the pre-party at Vampiress'.

Wow, another one for the team! What a fantastic night. We started with Bo coming over for a drink and his first time at the house to see the bar and collection. Bo has been collecting tiki since the mid to late 90's and has an enormous collection, but as collectors discover, he saw quite a few things he didn't have, which baffles me, but that is another story...

On to Vamp's house. Marlene had the food and drinks for everyone. The time flew by there way to quickly. Ken brought the Islander bamboo pieces for everyone, special shout out to abstract tiki, you did an amazing job with the tagging and presentation of number and documenting each piece and I wish you could have attended, we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude. Got to hang out with Bill, Matt and Melody, Ken and Beth, Bo, Marlene, but we definitely missed Brad and Melanie, Mike and Alia, Dan and Wendy and the rest of the Sactown crew!

On to the show...arrived about two hours early, so we killed some time at Pistol Petes, downing some drinks and waiting for the venue to open. Brenda and Savge Tiki showed up, along with some of Matt and Melody's friends and our group grew even larger! Shot some pool with Matt and Bill, both good players, but due to many drinks having and being consumed I believe none of us were in true form. 2 Lit 2 Quit teased us with some Foghat and Bad Company from the stage but never actually finished one song?

Met up with more TCer's inside the venue; Tikitastic, Rum Runner, Tai Won On and one other cool dude whose name escapes me. Along the way Mai Tai and Coco Loco showed, when the place was already rocking!

Pyronauts shredded all the way. They freakin rocked the house and had everyone going. Even played a few Christmas songs on were rocking hard with "Silent Night".
I have to agree with Ken, they nailed "Moby Dick", which was probably my favorite of the night.

Dick Dale pulled out all the stops, playing about 20 minutes longer than he had planned on. He had the audience in his hands and everyone was enjoying his interaction and he stomped the house. Great showman and musician.

What a great time and I was glad to see everyone! Merry Christmas!

PTD

First chance I have had to post since the show.First and foremost I
want to thank Vamp(Marlene)the hostess with the mostiss.It was great
to see Duane and Ami , Ken and Beth.Pleasure to meet Matt and Melody
and anyone else I may have met for the first time.

Like Duane had stated earlier the time went bye very quick at Marlene's
house.Unfortunately I was so caught up talking to everybody I did
not get any large pieces of bamboo from Abstract David, but what a
very thoughtful gesture .I still would like to meet David before I
leave .The show was absolutely incredible and my ears were ringing
for hours after the event.I had a blast dancing with Brenda to Dick
Dale's music .Dick Dale still has got it after all these years.I was
blown away with the performance and the energy he has.I could go on..
and on .I am stoked I flew up a week early to see this show, it was
absolutely incredible.My new Nor. Cal. Ohana are the coolest and
nicest people ever.Thank you so much to all of you from the bottom
of my heart, for making me feel so welcome being so far from home.
Dick Dale is playing on Jan 2nd in San Juan Capistrano at the Coach
house and then in Redondo Beach around the 8th of January .I hope to
catch at least one of those shows as well.
Merry Christmas to all.... and to all a good night.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-12-28 15:07 ]

Hey Bill...will hook you up with a couple of pieces of bamboo.

I am going to make a bamboo windchime of my pieces. Whhhhish...clack clack clack...I can hear it now. :)

Thought I would update with a Dick Dale live performance
from " The night the surf was up in Auburn " (12-19-09) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN7nJRvXrOE

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-12-28 22:05 ]

The Pyronauts gettin busy " The night the surf was up in Auburn " .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_4l1g6A5_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLJTSUypW8

Thanks for those links Bill. Since I was sitting in the back, never saw him do the drum stick playing...super kewl. Jeeez...even a DD SRV video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWw55XhTehg&NR=1

Great picture of Dick with the Pyronauts on their website.
http://www.thepyronauts.com/

Here are the Dick Dale pix that I have on my iPhone and one sent by Brenda.

My most coveted picture. Thanks Brenda

Hopefully more to follow.

Eric

[ Edited by: Savge Tiki 2010-01-13 02:09 ]

As I led you all to hope for more Dick Dale pix thank Brenda for these. At the show my iPhone died so she let me use hers to get these. What a cool gal.

Dick being the King of the Surf Guitar

Dick playing the trumpet

Now this was cool. He played the Base with drum sticks.

Fabulous...thanks for posting those. That was a great concert!!!

We're doing this show again this year (2010)! And it's the same date as last year. Only difference is that this year it's an all acoustic show!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies