Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

BK

WOW! Anyone know where those Tikis ended up?

Aloha,

Those are new to me. Not Brownlee carved, so I'd suspect they are later additions. No clue where they might have ended up.

N

I saw one of them shortly after the place closed down in front of a strip mall on Kona St.then it was gone with in a month. Also if you look closely at those tikis you'll see they're not made of wood but a clear resin that has brown leaves suspended in it to create the illusion of a wooden finish.

H

On 2014-06-02 08:36, naugatiki wrote:
I saw one of them shortly after the place closed down in front of a strip mall on Kona St.then it was gone with in a month. Also if you look closely at those tikis you'll see they're not made of wood but a clear resin that has brown leaves suspended in it to create the illusion of a wooden finish.

OK....that leads to another question.... Did these tikis have a mold? Where the bloody hell are the molds?? I want the molds!!!

howlinowl

BK

On 2014-06-02 08:36, naugatiki wrote:

That's pretty wild!

M

Looks like many of the shots we have seen in postcards and other photos. I think everybody how saw that great view said "Hey, lets get a picture of that!"

DC

M

I enjoy the subtle to dramatic differences and changes the various eras captured by tourists of the day can reveal, it's amazing what has shown up for sale over recent years.

Found this today

Another nice tourist photo of the sign, lobby building and the Tiki tower.

DC

A slide from eBay that shows the Waikikian from the backside with the Ilikai in the background on the left (taken from the Hilton Hawaiian Village, note their pink jeep). Haven't seen this angle before.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies