Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Show us your favorite Aloha Shirt.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies

Hey post a pic of your favorite Hawaiian Shirt, ground rules, just one pic at a time, not your full quiver of Island goodness.
I know Kate wins this for most cool shirts, but only one is needed for this topic, your most favorite one.

Let the fashion show begin!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-20 15:04 ]

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - changed wording from "Hawaiian" to "Aloha". - 2016-03-21 08:54 ]

You First!

J

Generic Hawaiiana print shirts are too easy. How about making it more interesting and post only classic Tiki-style print shirts?

I wanna see some actual Tikis and abstract Modernist designs. As true Tikiphiles, this is the only style of print we should be wearing anyway.

Like this.....

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-11-25 10:40 ]

You First Too!

J

You next !!

It's all about the Island Lifestyle.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2009-11-25 11:29 ]

K

If I have to choose just ONE...I'd say this one, because I always get alot of comments & compliments on it whenever I wear it. I think the colors are fetching, it's a soft flannel type material, and it's unusual in that it features New Zealand images.

I also like because it was a $3.99 Salvation Army find.

Tiki Shaker, you are bad! :D
And Kaiwaza, that must be the only Aloha shirt with Penguins on it!

I was wondering:
Your favorite Hawaiian shirt you OWN? Or can it be one you have images off?
And if you own it, does it have to be one you wear?

I have quite a few that are too small for me that I had to have as art pieces for future publication. Here is such a shirt, still my all-time favorite vintage Tiki shirt, I think the pattern will become the end pages of the "Look of Tiki".

To better appreciate the print, here's a close up:

It has details of Gold in it. I have also seen it in yellow-to-beige tones, even more striking!

My favorite is the latest addition to my collection. 49 cents at the thrift store in perfect condition and vintage Hawaiian.

The closeup shows the color best.

Seeing as I'm not sure which set of rules to follow I go with some and break some...

My only shirt that has Tiki on it

Close up

plus it reminds me of childhood exposure to tiki at Disneyland

Abstract, Authentic, Hilo Hattie

My Favorite Hawaiian Shirt

as a Ukulele player this tops it.

Close up

On 2009-11-25 14:51, bigbrotiki wrote:

I was wondering:
Your favorite Hawaiian shirt you OWN? Or can it be one you have images off?
And if you own it, does it have to be one you wear?

I have quite a few that are too small for me that I had to have as art pieces for future publication. Here is such a shirt, still my all-time favorite vintage Tiki shirt, I think the pattern will become the end pages of the "Look of Tiki".

YES! you must own the shirt you post here,the only rule I will declare, wear or display can be up to you,, now Obey!
GIRLS! feel free to show your Favorites to, dress or shirt.....its OK.....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-11-25 21:26 ]

I will post a pic of mine later.

I can hardly wait to hold you
feel my arms around you
How long I have waited
waited just to hold you
now that I have found youooooooo
Don't ever go ohohoh

Put the shirt on guys and sing it while dancing in the mirror.
OH YEAH! Let the girly girl in you out.

L

I have about 75 vintage Hawaiian shirts...most barkcloth..some with tikis some without but my favorite is the Primo Beer one I found not too long ago:

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-11-25 21:57 ]

My taste goes towards Vintage 50s & 60s Hawaiian shirts, I really like bark cloth over other types of shirts, mostly depicting Tikis etc
I am really digging this one at the moment.....

Now Punk & Tiki mix well, like a Mai Tai with attitude.
But what do I know? I am just a punk with a Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-11-26 03:10 ]

But I am cheating on the Barkcloth shirt with this one to, I know! what a Cad....

I really wish Tiki Kate would leave some of the cooler shirts for the rest of us.....

That is a very nice shirt Atomic. Thanks for sharing. I'll get around to posting a couple of mine.

You said OK to the ladies so here is a favorite of my wife.

Closeup. The colors are allot brighter than the photo.

I've got more Aloha than you can shake a stick at (and plenty of Aloha Shirts too). But TIKI shirts are harder to come by, here's the only 2 I have. I made a couple, but they don't count :)

Picked up this Rietveld shirt new on eBay. The design is cool but the shirt's made of plastic! The experts tell me sublimation printing is required for this level of detail and that only works on polyester. Hmmm :(

Got this one for $7 off the clearance rack at RiteAide in Coronado Island. The coolest thing about this shirt is that it's made of 100% cotton :) (that's important here in the desert)

The experts tell me sublimation printing is required for this level of detail and that only works on polyester. Hmmm

That's MOSTLY true,Mike...
But recently, in the past year or so, we;ve been sublimating cotton /poly tees
for huge prints covering the whole garment...
The colors aren't as "punchy" as the pure polyester,
but the look our tees require a more "washed down/distressed" feel...

On 2009-11-26 13:27, MadDogMike wrote:
I made a couple, but they don't count :)

Why don't they count? If they're aloha shirts with tiki in the print - they count! The fact that you made them yourself is even better to my way of thinking - they're CUSTOM shirts, not off the rack! :)

Thank you Kiki :) Here's my experiment in Batik. The design I stole from a stencil. The contrasting stitching was not planned, I used a yellow 100% cotton shirt, not realizing that the stitching was polyester and wouldn't absorb the dye :lol:

Chlorox bleach pen and brown Sharpie on a khaki shirt, perfect to wear with a pith helmet.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-11-28 21:13 ]

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Nov 28, 2009 4:21 PM

I like this one (of many) because of the colors, especially the tikis...

This thread may last forever and it's fun! Wendy

I've had this one for about 12 years now... not a whole lotta tiki going on.. But...

BB

Wow! Did you buy it new 12 years ago? Or is it even older? It reminds me of a brown and white 70s design I saw like 20 years ago, same amount of boobage, but more flowing line art-style. I always regretted not photographing it.

On 2009-11-29 09:01, danlovestikis wrote:
This thread may last forever and it's fun! Wendy

Wendy that shirt also came with the coveted zipper pull Tiki:

I have one...sans shirt though:

The owner deemed the whole ensemble suitable for framing:

..and I agree!

Man, you guys are breaking out some shirts I have never seen before, nice job!

On 2009-11-29 12:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow! Did you buy it new 12 years ago? Or is it even older? It reminds me of a brown and white 70s design I saw like 20 years ago, same amount of boobage, but more flowing line art-style. I always regretted not photographing it.

It was bought new at a local surf shop here, I never saw another one like it though..
I gets lots of compliments on this one...:)

M
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.