Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Show us your favorite Aloha Shirt.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies

Here is my current stock of Hawaiian shirts.......The Pineappleman's Hawaiian shirt collection.
I thought it would be fun to share and cool to see what Hawaiian shirts are in others collections.
I've seen a bunch of really cool stuff in the Tiki Oasis Roll Call thread.....Some a little wilder than I'm used to but really cool.

Go here for my collection and post your Hawaiian shirts here...

http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2011/08/pineapplemans-hawaiian-shirt-collection.html

Here is a sample rocking my FAT Magnum PI look from a couple of years ago

Bigbrotiki's and the on Beachbumz's (topless girl shirt) are my 2 favorites so far....
I would love to have those in my collection

My favorite one is being fixed right now, it got a rip in one of the button holes. It is a reproduction of a WWII aloha shirt that has tigers all over it. The exact same shirt design that Bruce Willis wore in "12 Monkeys".

My second favorite one however is my miniature golf one by Reyn Spooner. I love miniature golf, and wigged out when I saw this shirt on ebay: mini golf, tiki, and all on a aloha shirt??? Oh my god! Interesting story goes with this shirt; I was told by the seller that Reyn Spooner got sued for not licensing the images, and that is why the tag is ripped.The seller told me that these shirts were supposed to be destroyed but a few got out. The tag does look like it was intentionally cut and the few other shirts with the same print I have seen all have cut tags. I don't know if the story is true or not, but somehow I believe it and I will show you why in just a sec.

Okay now, for those that don't know there is a following of old school miniature golfers out there, and like tiki-dom there are very few original "sacred" courses out there left. So to those of us who know of them, or of ones that are now long gone but were infamous in mini golf circles images from them are highly recognizable. The "bible" on mini golf is the long out of print Abbeville press book: "Miniature Golf" by John Margolies, Nina Garfinkel, and Maria Reidelbach. It is a thin book, but covers a huge amount on the history of mini golf and has tons of pictures of courses past and present.
So remember that cool Moai? Pretty generic mini golf image...right?...right?

Hmm... how about that candy house? Also a pretty standard old mini golf prop... (I have actually played where this particular image was taken from: Golf 'N' Stuff)

This is the one that kills me. Goony Golf is absolutely infamous, it was one of the earliest mini golf chains all made by one specific artist. "Spoony Golf" indeed.

There is some dispute about who started mini golf, but it is widely agreed that Tom Thumb is the ancestor of the first actual course (the first course was called "thistle dhu" by the same husband and wife team).

This is hilarious in two ways because it is a double rip off. The original is obviously a rip off of Snoopy and the red baron, and then the shirt designer went and ripped it off again.

Seriously the designer thought they could hide ripping this off by changing the top of the lighthouse? Really? You may want to ditch the iconic seagulls... we all know this is from Putter's Paradise in Massachusetts.

You have to be crapping me... they even copied the PAR SIGN??? Does this designer have a creative bone in their body?

Yes, even the life preserver is a poor rip off...

This one was on a lot of atomic age mini golf courses, but the resemblance to the photo is just too uncanny.

And this is just too iconic to be ANYTHING else...

I am an artist, I know there is sometimes a fine line between being inspired by something original and borrowing from that source. But then there is the other thing... WHOLESALE RIPPING OFF. About 90% of this shirt is original. But I love it all the more for all of this because it is like one of those forbidden treasures your not supposed to have. I can full well imagine Reyn Spooner got sued over this or taken to court if not by the existing course owners then by the book authors. As a artist/graphic designer it makes it have even more meaning, and doubly special because I have played a few of the courses that are represented on the shirt.

Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but felt the story behind the shirt needed explaining to fully appreciate it.

What the hell is that Jungle Trader, body paint? that's wild looking.

On 2011-08-07 10:52, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
What the hell is that Jungle Trader, body paint? that's wild looking.

Yeah, blacklite body paint.

My sister in law brought this one back from Hawaii for me for my birthday, Ky's of Hawaii

Now that is a Tiki shirt, I like all the plants you keep in your closet too! :lol:

If you're familiar with the Hawaiian shirt totin' staff of Trader Joe's, "Go Barefoot" is the brand they use. I love the pull overs! They come to the store in 5 packs of seasonal varieties - spring, summer, winter & fall.
I'm even guilty of wearing 'em inside out from time to time because of that dark inner print.

Hope that helped!

Gino

On 2010-06-01 16:05, littlegiles wrote:
I need to take some pics, but a couple weekends ago I found 4 "Go Barefoot" shirts at the local Goodwill. They are my new favorite. From the looks of the labels they are older. Pull over cotton shirts in what I think they call a reverse print (the colors are brighter inside the shirt than on the outside). REALLY comfortable. They have 4 buttons on the front. I'm guessing 70's, but could be wrong. Anyone familiar with them?

[ Edited by: littlegiles 2010-06-01 17:17 ]

BV

Me on my way to a disco party!

last year.

BV

The shirt is 100% polyester! Maybe Rayon? I don't know. It's Rai Nani. Bright blue with a beach scean and a dumb rainbow in the middle of the whole thing. I tucked it into my tight white bell bottoms for the disco dance. I have 50's era shirts but there is something just wrong enough about this shirt for me to sport it proudly!

8T

BUMP BUMP BUMP. This thread would benefit from more TCers adding some more cool shirt photos!!

Got these at an Estate sale a couple of weeks ago. And just 75 cents each :)

Man, I completely forgot about this thread, thanks for the resurrection!

8T

On 2015-11-19 20:30, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Man, I completely forgot about this thread, thanks for the resurrection!

No prob ATP. I love the eye candy of a beautiful aloha shirt.
Here's the others I got at that sale: (all the metal hangers have been replaced)

I didn't realize that this was a set until I was at checkout because I was holding an armload of things. The shirt was in the man's closet upstairs and the dress was in the woman's closet downstairs. Probably the first time they have been back together in years.

And finally a couple of others for the ladies:

How did I miss the great ATP post........

bump

I love all my kids the same :)

On 2010-10-20 11:45, Tom Slick wrote:
I have a handful of shirts I own and like. I'm more of a Kustom Kulture Junkie, and seem to gravitate towards pinups and pinstripes...
The first one being a Lucky 13 button up shirt, and not sure, but it may have been a prototype. Someone can correct my memory on this shirt, if you own or seen others around.(I seem to remember buying on ebay as a prototype)
front

back

Thanks for the cool thread!(Even knowing Kate could have shown everyone's shirt in her own single thread!! ha, she had em all, man!)

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-10-20 13:45 ]

LATEST UPDATE
Found out recently(03/28/11) that Lucky 13 only made 150 TOTAL of these shirts. They said approximately 30 XL were made, and only the medium sizes are test batched/prototyped samples. Lucky 13 told me I have a really rare piece from their spring 2001 catalog. That is the lowest "production" shirt I've ever owned, or known of. I'm stoked.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2011-04-06 11:48 ]

Hey Tom, I just stumbled onto this thread. I have two Lucky 13 shirts. The one like yours is a size medium-the other is a large.
Cheers

My Fave shirt is the one that I happen to be wearing at the time. Like most of us here , it is tough to pick a favorite.
Here’s one of mine-subject to change at any time.

My favorite Hawaiian shirt:

Old Mick and the Sea

Last night I went out for kimchi and seaweed. Delicatessen had surprise for me.

Tokidoki scrubs.

On 2009-11-25 03:16, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey post a pic of your favorite Hawaiian Shirt, ground rules, just one pic at a time, not your full quiver of Island goodness.

Yes. Is my new favorite Hawaiian shirt. Made in Hawaii.

Sometimes life quirk. Curious twist of fate.

K

huh?... what??

On 2016-03-20 18:18, komohana wrote:
huh?... what??

I will help you.

I did not own a Hawaiian shirt. Mick Jagger is a favourite entertainer. He is wearing Hawaiian shirt on a sailboat. For years I search for similar shirt. There is a famous American book written by Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea.

A few hours after posting, I went to Hawaiian delicatessen. And purchased my first Hawaiian shirt. It is not what we think of as "traditional" Hawaiian shirt with the cocoanut buttons. It is tokidoki scrubs. Made in Hawaii. Tokidoki is by Italian artist Simone Legno. Scrubs is Americanese for clothing worn in hospital operating theatre. To be worn as casual; about same as t-shirt.

So. Very funny coincidence of posting Mick Jagger wearing Hawaiian shirt and then purchasing my first Hawaiian shirt.

Perhaps it is my English—as—second—language. So sorry.

K

Mick and Ernest are some friends of yours?

...and they like to wear Hawaiian shirts?

...and live by the sea?

On 2016-03-20 06:55, MadDogMike wrote:
:lol: You have been paying attention Veronica! (or stalking me) :lol:

On 2016-03-21 02:48, komohana wrote:

...and live by the sea?

MadDogMike and komohana: Are you going to apologize to me or do we get a moderator involved?

K

I think ATP would rather folks post a single shirt at a time
and not entire collections but, damn it... I don't think he'll mind...

** [But I will!, extraneous photos and comments deleted.. :D. - Haka] **

THIS is my all time fave, very, very comfy...

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2016-03-21 09:02 ]

K

Had a few too many rums last night and woke up in a daze about 2:30am...

...remembering I had the strangest dream... now, I've never met ATP...

...but I swear - that in this dream - I saw him wandering, alone, through some desolate wasteland...

...luckily he was dressed in an immaculate Hawaiian shirt...

That reminds me of a joke,

This guy manages to finish work early Friday afternoon and arrives at his favourite Tiki bar
to find that it was all but deserted. He orders a zombie, thinking it might take his mind off
the week he had just endured, seats himself comfortably in a beautifully decorated nook,
and settles down to relax.

A few minutes pass, and suddenly he hears a tiny voice pipe up -

"Wow, that's a gorgeous Hawaiian shirt you're wearing."

He spins around, but no-one is there.

Perplexed, he eventually settles back to his drink, and all is quiet for a while.

Suddenly another, different tiny voice says -

"Yes, and it compliments those fabulous casual trousers perfectly."

This time, the guy leaps to his feet and looks all around, but as before, there's no-one there.

He sits down absolutely bewilderedly, shaking his head and thinking - Man, I know this week was
stressful, but I think I'm loosing my mind.

All is quiet for a short while, when yet another tiny voice chips in -

"It sure does, and those shoes! a stunning ensemble entirely!"

The guy springs off his seat, thoroughly inspects the surrounding area... only to find nothing,
and sees no-one.

He stands there for a while, finally takes his seat again, but now he's getting really worried.

Suddenly, another tiny little voice exclaims -

"Not only that! But when you sit down, it can be seen that you have chosen the EPITOME of the perfect sock".

By this time the guy is almost a total wreck... hair awry, sweating, and breathing heavily...

Just then, a waiter walks past, and realizing the guy is in distress asks what is the matter.

The guy hurriedly describes what has just happened, and ask whether or not he should go straight to a doctor.

The waiter - who happens to be Australian - thinks for a while, and as a look of understanding comes over his face,

says to the guy -

"Nah, y' not loos'n yer mind, mate - it's just the peanuts on the table there... they're compliment'ry

[ Edited by: komohana 2016-03-21 06:56 ]

H

On 2016-03-21 03:54, Veronica! wrote:

On 2016-03-20 06:55, MadDogMike wrote:
:lol: You have been paying attention Veronica! (or stalking me) :lol:

On 2016-03-21 02:48, komohana wrote:

...and live by the sea?

MadDogMike and komohana: Are you going to apologize to me or do we get a moderator involved?

Veronica! Check your PMs

TR

Too many favorites but this a recent aquisition-Go Barefoot

In case I'm too sloshed to remember how to make a cocktail

[ Edited by: Tiki Roa 2016-03-24 09:00 ]

Cool shirt TikiRoa. if it where mine I’d hang it behind my bar when I wasn’t wearing it.
Cheers

I just came across this old post of your excellent shirt.

I bought the matching swim shorts to this Tropicana shirt a few years ago. I always wondered if there was a shirt to match - and you have it.

I do wear them but alas, as a style from 50s/60s you look like Harry Highpants in 'em. Sorta dents your cool when everyone falls about laughing as you walk out of the cabana.

Less is Moai

Oops! The shirt I am referring to in this post was submitted by Atomic Tiki Punk in 2009 at the top of page 2.

[ Edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2016-03-26 00:01 ]

TR

Obviously ya'll are down with true vintage-but what about repro's and trash vintage etc. and where do ya'll weigh in on 'Sir' Tommy Bahama?

K

pfffttt....

K

Tiki Loa, you possess an interesting turn of phrase, might I ask - from where do you hale?

... and do you have any friends named Mick and Ernest?

Older is better! One of my favorite Tiki shirts I picked up at a thrift store in Ventura, I call it the Amoeba Tiki.

DC

And lest we forget, there was a wonderful young lady who contributed mightily to Tiki Central named Tiki Kate who showed us a thing or two about Aloha Tiki shirts. YOU NEED TO SEE HER THREAD!!!!!

Tiki Kate's Shirts

She is missed every day here.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2016-03-30 22:17 ]

Hear hear!

Kate was the best!

T

On 2016-03-30 19:38, Tiki Roa wrote:
Obviously ya'll are down with true vintage-but what about repro's and trash vintage etc. and where do ya'll weigh in on 'Sir' Tommy Bahama?

Ok so hears the deal, fat guys totally use up their Aloha Shirts and or ANY cool
clothing they have.

Sooo there is not a lot of old cool large sizes of cool or Aloha Shirts out there to
buy.
Tommy Bahama makes large and really large sizes of new shirts.
I for one like them and they fit, but the dry cleaning is a bitch.

Plus people were smaller back then, so would guess they did not even make too many large and holly shit did you see that fat a$$ sizes.

Always wanted to start a chain of stores called Phat A$$ Tees and sell shirts to the large and larger sizes (and small pretty people clothes too) at vacation locals.
You would make a ton.

TR

On 2016-03-30 20:46, komohana wrote:

Tiki Loa, you possess an interesting turn of phrase, might I ask - from where do you hale?

... and do you have any friends named Mick and Ernest?

Trader Mic and Ernest Lemingway caught some heat on another thread I guess- I have been accused of haling from the "Midwest" but prefer to think of myself as a refugee from the Swiss Family Clyde. File me as a fan of Tiki who may rather be caught lolling in the sand than sittin' on a stool. Cheers

K

But, why change your username?

This isn't really the right thread for this post but I don't find a better place. My brother-in-law's father passed away last week and I attended his funeral today. This picture of him is from the late 40s in a vintage aloha shirt

K

A few posts ago, it was asked where we weigh in on Tommy Bahama. I thought that was worth responding to. I used to LOVE Tommy Bahama, but I feel in the past five years, their designs have lost their former whimsical quality and become almost just staid, classy aloha shirts...which is totally boring. Obviously, they are filling a niche & more power to them if it's working for them. But in the past, their designs were really cute, had a sense of humour & kitsch, and that is no longer present in any great amount. I would pick them up at a thrift store, but that's about it.
I've had a number of viewers on my Youtube channel (Kaiwaza) request I do a video on my Hawaiian shirt collection, as I always wear them in my videos. I really don't relish the thought of pressing them all, etc., etc., but I think I might break down & do a top 10 or Dirty Dozen Favorites or something video shortly.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGYUkV5NiLqHn4yPG9RcwjA

Custom Bamboo Ben Hawaiian Shirt Lamps !!

PM for deets!

Mad Man- great photo

I thought it was cool Jon.
Speaking of cool, nice lamp Ben!

Ben!!! You had yourself skinned for a lamp? That's what I call commitment to your craft!

J

Not my "favorite" but I just added this one to my collection:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies