Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Irishcarver

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

Hey guys. This is my first Tiki that I have made. I used a piece of 1 inch diameter dowel rod. I've pretty much been a bone carver up to now making Hei matau (fish hooks)

He stands about 5 inches tall. I burned the black parts with a small woodburner. I used mostly a dremel for the detail. Its a bit rough around the edges.

I'd like some opinions on it from some of you Tiki masters!!:)

Slainte!

Here is some pictures of my usual stuff.

http://www.irishcarver.com

[ Edited by: Irishcarver 2009-12-11 21:27 ]

[ Edited by: Irishcarver 2010-11-13 21:11 ]

[ Edited by: Irishcarver 2010-11-26 21:43 ]

[ Edited by: Irishcarver 2011-12-12 19:59 ]

You call yourself Irish?!
Hell! He doesn't have a drink in his hand.

Excellent first job.
Welcome aboard IrishCarver

Hey, keep an eye out for us on the Trader Vic's that is opening in Dublin.

A Tiki cheers to ya!

Cheers mate. I'll have to do a pint of the Black stuff on the next tiki. I'm living in the states at the moment but next time I'm back home, I'll have a look for ya!

P

good on you mate! i go to my local irish pub and show them my work all the time. luckily, one of the bartenders is also a kiwi. it's amazing the connection in art and symbolism that occurs between celtic and pacific island motifs. great start. get yourself some nice wood and sit and have a go. wait, that didn't sound quite right.

i'd like to learn more about your lashings. i'm trying to master that, too. my bone stuff has been buried in some long forgotten thread.

sla`inte

A
AKUAE posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 9:02 AM

Hello Irish Carver
great first work - welcome en TC
hope to see some new works soon

oh my goodness it's a Tikicarver ....

bye
AKUAE

T

Good looking tiki. I'd love to see more of your bone work, seems I've been only doing that the past several months.

Nice I.C.!! That tiki looks like a nice bar-tap to me! Great job on the bones too, I'd love to see ya do the lashings too...I've seen diagrams how to do it...but they aint-so-good!
Welcome to TC

Cheers guys. Yeah the lashings took the most time to find info on. I went to the Ho'ike hawaii festival in Orlando and took a workshop with a guy called Uncle Hank Uhumukini. He is one of two master craftsmen left from hawaii. Awesome guy. I did the traditional tying class with him and it was great. I could already do most of the ties but I learned some new techniques which was cool.

I'll put up some more hei matau pics!

L

Oh Ireland, the most beautiful country in the old Europe...
Cool work for your first tiki and perfect art for the Hei Matau! Welcome On TC Irishcarver!

J.

B

Your first tiki is Excellent for a First. Nice job all around. you will learn how to get the lines cleaner and more crisp as you carve more. A soft wire brush might lighten up the darkede lines and smooth them out a bit.
Your bone carvings are very good too, Nice work all around.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 9:45 AM

Now just make him 5 feet tall instead of 5 inches and it'll be awesome.

Cheers Benzart. Yeah, the lines were cleaner before I used the wood burner. As Itried to get into the tighter spots, it burned the edges and made it look a bit sloppy.

Grog: I really want to do a big one. I saw a load of palm trees that have no tops on them near my place. I may go and cut one down.

Looks good for a first tiki. The smaller the tiki the harder it is to carve. Less room for error. Look forward to seeing a larger one.

K

very nice for a first .good proportion too

K

very nice for a first .good proportion too

I love the Hei Matua. Especially the way you balance the cord bindings and incorporate them as part of the design. It really gives your pieces a lot of mana.

The tiki is cute, darned cute. That facial expression had me feeling "sunny" as soon as I looked at it. This carving has sunshine in its soul, no doubt about it. The self-contained stance adds a feeling of good-natured serenity as well. A great result, especially for a first try.

Aloha!

Marcus

Thanks Marcus! I appreciate the comments.

H

Very nice first tiki. You've got the knack for it.
Now go f'n wild with your designs! Have fun! Make MEGA bucks!

Some of my coconut shell pendants!

Good start on the wood Irish. Love the pendants too. Haven't seen the coconut work before. Keep it up.

B

Really Cool Coconut pieces IrishCarver, love the finish and the fine sanding, as well as the unusual stuff rarely seen. Good-on'ya.

Cheers guys.

I finished off some pendants today. Here are some pics.

Great use of cocoa nut shell! You're showing some really nice and clean stuff.

Thanks Tikimango!

B

Those all finished up pretty nice there Irish, I'm thinkin you gotta do a bunch more.

For sure Benz, for sure!

[ Edited by: Irishcarver 2010-03-11 10:40 ]

P

Hey Irish, did you get my message?

Just replied bro...

I haven't been on here in a while. Been a crazy summer for work so I haven't got much carving done at all. I have a nice big log drying for a tiki.

I have some new fishhooks made though. Got my hands on some nice materials.

This one is made from extinct stellar sea cow rib bone. I love the texture and color of the bone.

This hook is made from an artificial material called Corian (used for countertops, etc). It carves really nice although it doesn't quite have the feel of the bone.

YOU! You MUST show me how to do the braiding attachments!!!!!!! I do believe you live here on Cape??
Bold, trying that Corian. Stuff looks top-notch!

Very nice work!!
I would also like to know how to tie like that...
Is there a place online with good tutorials?

Thanks guys. Unfortunately not many tutorials online. There are one or two vids on youtube though!

Cool pendants! I have only carved one. It was out of jade in New Zealand. I will post a pic. I really like use of different materials. Corian was a cool idea. Later.

Hey thanks Tatuman. Looking forward to seeing your work. Looking great so far!

E2

superbe boulo !!!!

Great looking pendants. That corian is top notch! You could of told me that it was made of granite & I would've believed you. Are the lashings made with that Jeweler's Twine you suggested in my Bonehead thread? That looks amazing. I will definately have to check it out. Thanx for the tip BTW!

I noticed some posters on your thread about the lashing tutorial. Have you seen the one I drew up? The link is on the Bone Carving Q&A thread with detailed instructions.

Thanks guys. Hey coco I did see the tutorial bro, very nice. You can adjust it on the cord with that method right? You can't adjust it the way I do it. I pretty much do it the way Stephen Myhre does it in his book. There are a few different techniques all with the same end result. As long as it looks good...

Yeah those lashings are all done with that jewelers twine. It is tidy stuff. The corian is great to carve, its like butta.

Some of my newest pendants!

Fossilized walrus makau

A gorge style makau with a pawehe relief carving.

A composite makau made from Brazilian rosewood and beef bone.

A Celtic triskell made for my wife for our anniversary.

Our pumpkins for Halloween. Gave an attempt at a tiki one.

T

Really nice carves going on in here. Great lashings too. I would just make one big know of the whole thing if I were to try that....

Ha ha, PM sent!

B

Excellent bunch of carves Irish, Sweet pieces!!

Love this Celtic Triskell too.

Thanks Benz!

Can someone tell me how to change the title on a thread. Thanks

L

Edit your first post on your first page... Here you can change the title

Hope this help

J.

Thanks man. I knew I had seen it somewhere!

sweet pendants......love your designs and personal style....just great work

Pages: 1 2 66 replies