Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

how do you deal with this disaster??

Pages: 1 11 replies

TK

i was opening a new bottle of pyrat XO today and the cork broke off right at the mouth of the bottle. i broke out the corkscrew and removed it. my question is, now that the cork has been penertrated by the corksrew should i use it or put this in a decanter? i am concerend that rum could be affected by not having the good seal. help me save this fine rum.

A

Once upon a time, fruit flies found their way into my (very expensive) bottle of Carpano vermouth ...I would definitely decant, or at least get a fresh cork! :drink:

J

You should be able to get spare corks at liquor stores, kitchen stores, etc. They're often tapered so that they'll fit several bottle sizes.

You could use the cork from your last bottle of Pyrat as a replacement.....

Or a similar sized cork from some other empty bottle.

TK

all good suggestion. my wife says i should just man up and kill the bottle.

A

Your wife is my kinda gal.

S

The only issue is the fruit flies. Cover it and it's good. A cork is not required. A pour spout with a sealing flap will do to keep bugs out.

On 2009-12-16 14:07, talo ka wrote:
all good suggestion. my wife says i should just man up and kill the bottle.

Best advice Evah!

If concern is that the rum will get stale, get one of those wine vacuum-thingies from a good alcohol emporium, pump out the air and stick in one of those stoppers that keep the air out.

T

I remember waaaaayyyyy back in my first rum-drinking days having a bottle of Screech Newfoundland rum that I had lost the cap for.
Being that I have a "eh, whatever..." attitude I just left it open and after a few months I noticed it had accrued a fruit-fly float.
Harking back to my attitude, I merely strained out the flies & surmised that the alcohol content would have long taken care of any germ-issues present upon the bugs' arrival and kept up with the drinks. Not to disparage my Eastern Canuck brothers, but it was Screech, and the fly-infusion didn't seem to make a taste-difference...

Like I said, WAY back.

I usually keep the corks and toppers from most bottles of spirits I consume. That way, when a cork malfunctions, I've got a nice replacement at the ready.

a liitle over the top, I know....sorry.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-16 14:02 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies