Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

rum balls

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

Anybody got any good rum ball recipes???? considering rum is our favorite ingredient.
here is one that I am making

Rum Balls

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup dark rum
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup finely chopped, toasted walnuts
Instructions
Into a large bowl, sift together 1 cup of
the confectioners' sugar, the cocoa powder and allspice. Stir in the rum and corn syrup. Stir in the vanilla
wafers and walnuts, and mix well. Place in the refrigerator to firm up slightly, about 30 minutes. (The
mixture may appear crumbly and dry; this is O.K.)

Place the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar in a shallow bowl or dish.

Using a tablespoon, scoop out portions of the chocolate mixture and press into 1-inch balls. Using your hands,
roll the balls in the confectioners' sugar, coating evenly.

Place on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Store in an airtight container in
the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, placing waxed paper between the layers to prevent sticking.

Our recipe is almost the same, ours skips the allspice (not anymore, thank you!).

The secret is to make them about a week before you need them so they can mellow a bit (and firm up a bit).

They will keep in an airtight container for a month or more, or in the fridge for up to three. Not that they will be around that long, but you wanted to start really early for next year.....

C

ok so I just made them and they are awesome!!!!! but I used capt. morgans spiced rum wich goes good with the allspice. then I rolled them in coconut
and then in powdered sugar!!!!wow!!!! I can't stop eating them.

mele kalikimaka
CheTiki

N
nate posted on Tue, Dec 22, 2009 2:45 PM

Made this last night, but substituted out the corn syrup for honey. They came out pretty tasty. Hopefully four days in the fridge to cure and firm up will be enough time before I unleash them upon the masses for Christmas.

I like that idea about rolling them in coconut first. Maybe next time ...

Thanks for the recipe!

J

A simple search for "rum balls" gives us this previous thread, if you're willing to go back a couple pages in the search results.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11882&forum=10

Is there a sugar-free version! LOL

Actually, my hubby wants to know if you think substituting Oreo wafers for the Nilla wafers would work. I was thinking the Oreo (or generic chocolate wafers) might overwhelm the rum flavor.

these are tasty....
i made them last night also....i doubled the recipe plus.....came out with about a hundred 1 inch balls
they were a hit at work
seems everyone was a bit more cheerful in the afternoon

the toasted walnuts really add a deep layer of flavor
i used about 1 1/2 cups of bacardi select and a shot of appleton estate

tasty......i save a few to savor over the next few days.....

[ Edited by: closettiki 2009-12-22 22:28 ]

J

On 2009-12-22 22:15, beadtiki wrote:
Is there a sugar-free version! LOL

Actually, my hubby wants to know if you think substituting Oreo wafers for the Nilla wafers would work. I was thinking the Oreo (or generic chocolate wafers) might overwhelm the rum flavor.

I've used gingersnaps and chocolate cookies (in separate recipes) and they both work. It all depends on the flavor you're looking for. One thing to consider is that if you use a drier cookie like an oreo or ginger snap, instead of the nilla wafer, you may need to increase your liquid ratio a slight bit to compensate for the drier cookie. Therefore, you'd be increasing the rum anyway and that should balance out the depth of flavor in the oreo.

Pages: 1 7 replies