Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Non Tiki Vacation or Getting away from tiki!!!!

Pages: 1 5 replies

anyone have any in's or out's of Playa Del Carmen?
thinking of getting away from tiki for a week or so.
all inclusive? any help would rock!

never herd of it.
go to the desert, listen to the sound of your breathing, not your thoughts. silence is golden.

S

We visited Playa on our honeymoon in May and LOVED it! That's our next Mexico trip. Very sort of bohemian. The whole 5th Ave is closed to traffic and lots of shops and bars. Tons of very funky little hotels tucked into these alleys that open to courtyards. And just a huge relief from the horrible nagging street sales people in Cancun and elsewhere. It's a little more like Cancun was 10 years ago. Relaxing.

It's a bit removed from other stuff, but there are some great places to snorkel nearby. I think Xel-Ha is near there and it's really incredible snorkeling in a park atmosphere. HUGE fish right in your face with food and drink nearby and bands playing. Skip Tulum which is across the street. It has a great cliff view, but the ruins are a yawner. Unless you want to see lots of lizards, then get over in the scrub...

El Paradisio is near there too. A very out of the way beach and bar.

S

Oh, and I would not do all inclusive. There are so many places to eat and things to explore you don't want to have to go back to where you stay all day or stay at the hotel all day... If they offer a breakfast deal, just get that.

Take your own snorkel and mask and you can explore the water everywhere with ease. Playa is on the leaward side of Cozumel, so, very little waves. You might even be able to lay on a raft in the ocean which is way nice. Do not go to Cozumel. Cruise ships dock every day and spew out hundreds of people and jack up the prices.

Steph and I will be going back to Playa some day.

Escape from escapism Ben.

Looks like Swanky used to be the mayoMayor over there!
You're BooBen
ANYTHING you do will be fun!
You two enjoy yourself!

and catch me a lizard!
:)

Pages: 1 5 replies