Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Exotica 2003 in Chicago: Who's coming?

Pages: 1 2 3 103 replies

T

On 2003-07-21 11:53, tikibars wrote:

The Swissotel is near the end of Wacker street, by the lake, and will indeed give you great view. I was just there this weekend for a sound production job in one of the ball rooms. It's a nice place (but I am surprised you, of all people, didn't pick a more vintage hotel!).

Thanks JT for the tips. I should have asked you before I booked it, but it's not too late to change my reservation.

I love historic hotels for the most part but I usually don't like the decor in the rooms. It's usually that nostalgic victorian-era schmaltz with lots of flower fabric and lace. Yecch! I always feel like I'm staying at my Grandma's house. Since nobody has done a modern decor look to my liking (except in a few Palm Springs hotels) I prefer the simple contemporary look in a hotel room. There are those newer boutique hotels like the Allegro and the Monaco but their whimsical decor gets old fast.

Sorry to disappoint you! I always look for a time travel experience (in bars, restaurants, and hotels). I just didn't know of any hotels that offered that in Chicago (unless one wanted to go back to the turn of the century).

While we're talking about time travel, can you recommend a steakhouse in Chicago that has a swanky 40s or 50s decor?

K

Three years ago, I would have said hands down "Biasetti's" for the best all around steak house experience in Chicago. Mediocre food, strong drinks, and a delightful crowd of degenerates filling the air with a thick cloud of cigarette smoke and profanity in a room that hadn't been redecorated since Nixon. Ah, but some fancy pants went and turned it into yet another lame brass and fern joint for the shiny people. So now, highly popular Gene and Georgetti's would be the place to start for a classic beef meal if you gots a big appetite and a bigger wallet. Less fancy by far, more of a bar really, might be Twin Anchors, but they tend to be more known for ribs. Sabatino's out on Irving Park might do you right, though haven't been there myself. The old Kona Kai used to make one hell of a steak -- you'd have been doubly set, there. Anyway, for more info, check out the cultural mouthpiece of the Chicago Tribune at http://www.metromix.com to search for those restaurants and more...

T

Thanks Kongtiki. I was considering Gene and Georgetti's based on Jane and Michael Stern's recommendation. I'd rather go to a tried and true joint like that than some new trendy place (like Nine).

Quote: "Sabatino's out on Irving Park might do you right, though haven't been there myself".

I can vouch for Sabatino's...great steaks and some killer baked clams as an appetizer, also if you have room try the baked alaska for dessert... man I'm gettin' hungry

By the way I'm pretty sure Sabatino's has been around since the mid 60's and it has a piano bar!

[ Edited by: La Tiki Nostra on 2003-07-21 14:36 ]

Are there any pictures out there of last years event?

K

Next year there will be, I'm sure...

This year is our inaugural year for Chicago's Exotica party in this form. There was an "Exotica 2000," and the timewarping photos of that event can be seen here: http://www.rightonfuton.com/tikiparty.html . That event shares almost nothing in common with this event. Except for the name. And two-thirds of the planners. And the rich tiki goodness...

.... and this one I am NOT gonna miss! Being forced into exile thru monitary neccessities, now I can AFFORD to travel to Chicago, and make up (a little) for missing the other two Tiki Fetes this year.
I think I will also rescreen my Witco lecture at the Hala Kahiki. It will be similar to the one I did before, but I am sure there are a lot of new folks who have not seen it, and the closeness to the original artifacts will give it new meaning.
(I know I know, the BOOK would really give it some extra meaning, but...sigh)

That's great BigBro, I know I for one will want to catch the Witco lecture.

T

I'm looking forward to seeing you and your slideshow Bigbro! This event is sounding better and better every day. I'm counting the days.

What about the rest of the hoity-toities? Surely you aren't still hungover from the Hukilau.

Let's go Bay Area peeps! How can you miss seeing the Kona Kai?

M

Wish I wasn't quite so broke, or I'd be there will bells on. And I've seen the Kona Kai, and those of you going there will be VERY glad you did!

Have fun!

K

Say...while we're talking about the Kona Kai, I'm sure the Carters would want to remind everyone that because of how strange the Marriott people were to deal with regarding the venue, there will be no ticket sales for the Kona Kai the night of the event. Tickets must be requested at http://www.konakai.com/exotica/event_konakai.html by August 1st, and payment received by August 15th to make the cut.

So plan ahead and have ticket in hand because they're right...it's quite nice.

hey turbogod! I saw your pictures, where did you get those Outre Shag mugs. They are great!

Again, I can't wait to meet all you guys. Will be really nice to meet people with the same interest as me.

A

Naomi and I are 2 more SF bay area types planning to attend. We might even come with bells on, depending on the available space in our luggage.

-Randy

T

On 2003-07-22 18:07, aquarj wrote:
Naomi and I are 2 more SF bay area types planning to attend. We might even come with bells on, depending on the available space in our luggage.

-Randy

I'm glad you're going! Ring-a-ding-ding!

Aloha Everyone,

Me and the my wahine will be there. We got an awesome rate on expedia for booking the flight as well as staying at the Palmer House which is home to Trader Vics. It looks like we should be able to take the "L" to the Kona Kai without any problems. Saturday will be a different story but I am trying to get tickets for Jimmy Buffett on this day as well. He is curreently on his "Tiki Tour" and it happens to coincide with Exotica 2003. Hey Bigbro, it will be nice to see you. Let's talk seriously about the "Big Book of Exotica". See Ya There,
Jeff

K

Hey Jeff...two quick notes to further help you chart your course through the dazzling waters of Exotica 2003:

a)The blue line el will drop you off about 2 or 3 blocks from the O'Hare Marriott, but you should be able to see the Marriott from the platform. Keep it in your sights as you walk over there and you should indeed get there with no problem.

b)The Saturday night Buffet show appears sold out, so what better way to spend Saturday than enjoying true polynesian entertainment with the Fires of Polynesia luau?! It appears they added a Buffet show for Thursday night, but it's still waaaaaaaaaay out in the south suburbs of Chicago. If you're at the Palmer House, it's about a 2-hour drive to the concert venue.

WOW! Thanks for the great info kongtiki. I didn't realize that the Buffett show was 2 hours away from the hotel. That would add up to some major bucks via taxi. I can cross that off my list. Looks like the Fire Dance show is in. I will make reservations shortly. The only reason I opted for the Buffett show was to surprise the wife. Oh well, thanks again for all the great tips.

Jeff

hi jeff, id be remiss if i didnt volunteer a reminder that the tiki busses ("kon tiki transports") are a smart (and outta control fun) solution to getting around on friday and saturday nights. the busses tie the events together (+more). heres the direct link to the website: http://ddemichele.home.mindspring.com/Index.htm
hopefully its helpful in planning your journey to chi-town! looking fwd to meeting you all.
-dan

K

Ahoy, Captain Dan! Nicely said. And we look forward to reading of all of the Kon Tiki transPorts journeys across the wide-open waters of Chicago's hiways and side streets.

And while Dan's bus trips are certainly the most fun way to get from event to event and Exotica 2003 recommends you take him up on the offer, there's still a bevy of transportation choices in Chicago. Check out the side bar on http://www.konakai.com/exotica/explore.html for tips on getting place to place, and discover some of the lesser seen but no less charming tiki spots of Chicago.

Tikivixen and I plan to do some non-tiki sightseeing while we're in Chicago, which will include visits to the Art Institute and the Wright homes in Oak Park. Anyone want to join us?

Also, I sent the payment for my Kona Kai ticket a couple of weeks ago, but my ticket hasn't arrived. Should I panic?

--cindy

Brad T.B., are we gonna do this one, buddy?

J

I have plenty of Hawaiian shirts that I need to break in and spill drinks on.....Can't wait.

B

On 2003-07-30 21:42, cynfulcynner wrote:

I sent the payment for my Kona Kai ticket a couple of weeks ago, but my ticket hasn't arrived. Should I panic?

--cindy

Cindy,
Please do not panic. We have yet to send out the tickets. We have had a very good response and many have requested tickets, however, less than half have paid for theirs.

We will be printing and mailing your ticktets very shortly. We are just trying to not have to go through the whole process several times as the late payments straggle in. We will send out emails when they are sent, so you will know when to expect them. We will get them out in time for you to have them before you hit the road, but if you happen to miss them in the mail, it's not a problem. We will have a master list at the door and those who have paid for their tickets will be able to waltz right in.

We have sent out several reminders, but for those who have yet to request tickets the deadline to request them is August 5 and payment must be received by August 15 at the very latest (we have to give the Marriott/Kona Kai a final count and full payment in advance.) Therefore, tickets will not be availabe at the door.

Thanks for your patience, we are looking forward to a great time at Exotica 2003!

-Duke and Amy

TB

Tristan and I will be there! $$ sent in today for kona kai....

TB

Tristan and I will be staying in the Homewood Suites, 40 East Grand Avenue. Could someone tell us where we are in relation to all the scattered venues.
We will not have a car.
Also, I'd like to pack the appropriate apparel, so what is the temperature during the days and nights (remember that we are Florida babies and are acclimated to intense heat so what might be warm to a Chicago person would be chilly to us...)?

K

Ah...you're right in the heart of downtown, about 8 blocks due north of Trader Vic's and access to the BLUE LINE EL, which will take you out to the Kona Kai. You're also about a $10 cab ride away from Delilah's (traffic permitting) to catch the bus Friday night. Another $10 cab should get you easily over to the Rock-a-Tiki. From where you're at, you should also be within walking distance of all of Chicago's major tourist destinations - MCA, Art Institute, Hancock & Sears Towers, blah blah blah.

Weather-wise, I'd guess you could plan on Chicago in August being akin to Florida in April or May -- humid, sunny, temps 70s to 80s unless something all goes to hell and then you can get high 90s and the accompanying elderly die-off...

But have a sweater handy. Nothing worse than one of those weird afternoons where Chicago acts like S.F. and drops temps over the Loop about 30 degrees in about an hour...

TB

Thank you good sir!!!! We are looking forward to the whole experience!!!

B

Don't forget that today, August 5, is the deadline for signing up for cocktails at the Kona Kai! Check out http://www.konakai.com/exotica for more details!

T

Aloha!

Exotica 2003 is just two weeks away at this point!

Here in Chicago, we are working feverishly to get last minute details into place.

Even at this eleventh (or at least tenth) hour, we are adding extra value to the schedule: a certain author who missed both Oasis and Hukilau wants to do one of his world-famous slideshows, and we're looking into being able to tell a certain Detroit-born burlesque queen that she has a green light to perform her red-light district dance of the seven Tikis during the festivites. Look for confirmation on both of these additions soon. Vintage Deluxe told us today that they're doing a 15% off sale all weekend, and will have a Tiki window display in place.

I received word through the grapevine that there were a few concerns about the event; rest assured that the kinks you see on the Exotica-related web sites are being ironed out; Cap'n Dan is tweaking the bus schedule to keep everyone happy, and we are on the verge of making a final call about the all-important vendor's area. An easier and less confusing solution to the troublesome choice of events to attend for Saturday night (Luau or Bowling) is also on the verge of resolution.

One more thing to keep in mind about the nature of this event: unlike the Hukilau, Mondo, and Oasis, this event is NOT a self-contained weekender, all in one place. Think of it more like a pub crawl... and one that lasts for FOUR DAYS!

Those of you in LA, or SF can probably relate: all of the Tiki in those towns is just as spread out as Chicago is (imagine the trek from Emeryville Vic's to Trad'r Sam, or from Tiki Ti to Bahooka, or from Bevberly Vic's to Sam's Seafood!), but we want to make sure you see it all, and that's why we planned things the way we did. Attend some of the events or all of them - since there is NO over-all admission/ticket charge for the weekend, you can see as much Tiki as you can handle, and spend some of the down time seeing the many other things Chicago has to offer.

Speaking of tickets, if you didn't get a ticket for Kona Kai, I suggest begging the Carters (who are in charge of planning this portion of the weekend) RIGHT NOW to squeeze in under the wire: their deadline was today. For $40 you get an open bar, snacks, and entertainment in a KILLER Tiki Bar that has been closed for almost five years. That's a bargain, and you know it! You NEED to be at this event!

The following night is the Luau at Bob Chinn's, and I don't think the coolness of this event has been properly hyped: This luau is a bit pricey at $56, but that's half of what you'd pay for a night at the Mai Kai, and you're getting a buffet of food that is on par (if not better than) the Mai Kai's food (true!), and, if I may be so bold, a show that is an hour long and is also approaching Mai Kai quality. And we'll make sure their Mai Tai recipe is up to snuff - they're already known for it, so we're confident it'll be a good'un. Drop the Franklin, the Lincoln, and the Washington: this is going to be good.

What else? Surf fest at Phylis' Musical Inn - only a block from Rock A Tiki - will mean that the Yuppie-filled Division St neighborhood will be over run with Tikis late Saturday night. Chaos WILL ensue.

And Cap'n Dan's Kon Tiki Transports bus:

Take the bus.

For $26/$30 (Fri/Sat) you will get carted around on a luxury cruiser full of wahines bringing you free booze and gifts. And it's waaayyyy cheaper than cabbing it to the various destinations. Get loaded, It's OK! I have a car, and I'm taking the bus anyway. Sign up!

Okay kahunas, enough hype - all I have to ask now is that you go ahead and pay for the bus, the Kona Kai, and the Luau ASAP, so that the people planning this stuff don't loose their Aloha shirts. Cap'n Dan and the Carters are paying for their expenses out of their own coffers if they don't fly, so we need to get them some semoleans ahead of time to pay off the suits who own the keys to the bars and busses.

Do it now!

Finally, we're working on a map that you'll be able to download annd print, or pick up in hardcopy at the event that will get you where you need to be.

Aloha and Mahalo - See you in a fortnight!

D
Dawn32 posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 6:59 AM

OK, just got the lowdown mass email from JT on Exotica. I have 2 questions, one-the map that's gonna be offered for the event, will there be a charge? My second question, and probably a dumb one (don't laugh), what/where is Club Paradise?!?

D
Dawn32 posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 9:05 AM

Where's the bowling gonna be held? Anyone know how much the tiki mug will be at Kona Kai?

K

Just in from Elefante Gigante of Los Diablos Guapos:

aloha TIKI peeps!!

I am glad to announce that we do have a bowling alley CONFIRMED for the Guapos Kon-Tiki Bowl 2003.

It is TIMBER LANES which is located at 1851 W. Irving Park - just east of Damen for those of you who know your Chicago geography.

there will be NO COVER to enter the event which makes it the easy choice for those who'd rather spend their dollars on drinks and TIKI goodies.

and yes, a VENDOR AREA is included in this space!

the GUAPOS do apologize for the late date at which we got this finalized. we have been working with a number of lanes in Chicago and the suburbs to get the best, most affordable deal that will still let us run the sound system (no small request on a Saturday night) AND will offer actual TIKI drinks at the bar (again, a rather sizable request for a bowling alley to completely change up its bar offerings and invest in things like Orgeat) AND basically sign their alley over to some masked bowlers and an assortment of tiki fans for a night... all in all, some tall orders for
bowling alley managers, who are more accustomed to 'normal' experiences in renting out their facilities (corporate events, kiddie birthday bowling and the like).

and they make some pretty decent TIKI drinks as well.

there are eight lanes, which serves between 30 and 40 bowlers at any given time. and there will still be TIKI beats (one of Chicago's finest lounge/exotica DJ's), TIKI contests, any vendors who care to sell their wares, and a wide managerie of TIKI-constumed folks to feast your eyes upon. All of which will be free to enjoy and experience. And, of course, the aforementioned TIKI drinks!

Holla if ya got any ?s!!

• WORD *

So there we are. Tiki bowling ahoy!

And while it's scheduled opposite the $56/person Fires of Polynesia show, it's all part of our plan to offer a smorgasbord of tiki goodness in a variety of cost-effective flavors...

[ Edited by: kongtiki on 2003-08-07 09:48 ]

T

Do we have to sign up to go bowling?

K

There's a "team signup" form at http://www.konakai.com/exotica/event_tiki_bowl.html . However, you can also shoot Elefante Gigante an email and work out individual games, I'm sure -- [email protected] .

T

On 2003-08-07 06:59, Dawn32 wrote:
one-the map that's gonna be offered for the event, will there be a charge? My second question, and probably a dumb one (don't laugh), what/where is Club Paradise?!?

The map is going to be free. Download it in advance, or pick up a hardcopy at any Eo3 event - still free.

Club Paradise? See Tiki Road Trip page 113 for the whole lowdown, but in brief, it is a little Tiki Bar on Belmont that has been in place under a variety of names for 50 years... but a 1980's renovation and a Polish owner who likes to cater as exclusively as possible to her countrymen make it a sort of scary and surreal experience. It's a quick drive from Hala Kahiki near Belmont and Cumberland.

D

Oh, ok it's kiddie corner from Mother Guerin (we had a not so nice name for that school and the girls who went there). As you can tell I actually grew up in that area. Broken record-my parents live right behind Hala Kahiki.

On 2003-08-07 11:52, tikibars wrote:

On 2003-08-07 06:59, Dawn32 wrote:
one-the map that's gonna be offered for the event, will there be a charge? My second question, and probably a dumb one (don't laugh), what/where is Club Paradise?!?

The map is going to be free. Download it in advance, or pick up a hardcopy at any Eo3 event - still free.

Club Paradise? See Tiki Road Trip page 113 for the whole lowdown, but in brief, it is a little Tiki Bar on Belmont that has been in place under a variety of names for 50 years... but a 1980's renovation and a Polish owner who likes to cater as exclusively as possible to her countrymen make it a sort of scary and surreal experience. It's a quick drive from Hala Kahiki near Belmont and Cumberland.

Dawn,here is a little more info on Club Paradise... unfortunately it is a dump...it has some bamboo and thatch but there ain't any tikis... and the drinks are not all that good... but it is right in your neighborhood, so by all means feel free to check it out for yourself.
In regards to more cool Exotica 2003 happenings...Be sure to stop by Trader Daves at The DuPage County Annual All-Nite Flea Market where they will be offering a bevy of Tiki, 50's Modern furnishings,loads of Aloha Shirts and lots of other groovy stuff.

T
thejab posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 4:37 PM

Where's the flea market and is it accessible by the El?

_ _
/
/
/
_

[ Edited by: thejab on 2003-08-07 16:37 ]

Unfortunately the L does not go out that far into the Burbs... Suggestion...talk to people at Kona Kai on Friday Nite and see about Carpooling.

This just in...Exotica 2003 Serigraph Posters are here and they are looking very Kool...they are a limited edition so be sure to get yours before they're gone! The 2 versions of the Exotica T-Shirts are in process and will ready next week! These are also limited quanities. Look for us at Kon Kai on Friday & Chef Shangri-La on Sunday (if there are any still available)
Ciao Baby!

D
Dawn32 posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2003 8:50 AM

Not accessible by El, but anyone who would like to squeeze into my Escort is more than welcome to go with me.

On 2003-08-07 16:37, thejab wrote:
Where's the flea market and is it accessible by the El?

_ _
/
/
/
_

[ Edited by: thejab on 2003-08-07 16:37 ]

D
Dawn32 posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2003 8:57 AM

That place always skeeved me out. I think I'll take a pass. I definitely will be doing the flea market.
BTW, nice username, you sound like you come from my neck of the woods.:D

On 2003-08-07 16:21, La Tiki Nostra wrote:
Dawn,here is a little more info on Club Paradise... unfortunately it is a dump...it has some bamboo and thatch but there ain't any tikis... and the drinks are not all that good... but it is right in your neighborhood, so by all means feel free to check it out for yourself.
In regards to more cool Exotica 2003 happenings...Be sure to stop by Trader Daves at The DuPage County Annual All-Nite Flea Market where they will be offering a bevy of Tiki, 50's Modern furnishings,loads of Aloha Shirts and lots of other groovy stuff.

Guess who just found a roundtrip ticket for NOT the $571 that was being being asked before, but rather a VERY affordable $168! So I'm coming too!! YAAAY!! And school will have started that Monday...and I'll need a sub for Friday afternoon. bad bad bad.

Any couples that wanna elope to Chicago Exoticafest like at Oasis, so I can say I'm going to a wedding in Chicago??

I'm such a dedicated teacher...
My revenge for not getting to go to Hukilau because of my 25 bratty students in Spain!!

Aloha Exotica peeps!

Captain Dan here with an urgent dispatch from the balmy, palm-lined middle coast, where your stewardesses and bus crew are working feverishly to prepare your bus for your Exotica weekend voyage! Avast ye, it is nearly T-Minus one week before we cast away the lines and set sail for exotic adventure!

I'm sounding General Quarters, because it is LAST CALL LAST CALL LAST CALL for the FRIDAY BUS!

The good folks who are hosting the Cocktails at the Kona Kai event have extended the deadline to get your tickets for their event (a destination on Friday's route) to this Friday the 15th, so it's not too late to get your Friday bus tix, AND your Kona Kai tix if you haven't already!

Get your bus ticket:
http://ddemichele.home.mindspring.com/Detail%20Fri.htm
Then get the Kona Kai ticket if you haven't already, by sending a paypal payment to:
[email protected]
--- Do it today!

Here's why you should get on the tiki bus:
http://ddemichele.home.mindspring.com/The%20Deal.htm

The Friday night ride is gonna be a great one. We're gonna kick it all off with a private reception for you, and then the fun really begins! Stay tuned for more info on what surprises are in store.

In the mean time, get your tix before Friday. This is not a drill!

Mahalo,
-Cpt. Dan

D'oh!

Tikivixen's mom has fallen ill, so it looks like we won't be making it to Exotica.

HOWEVER, I would still like to go if I can find someone to roadtrip with me.....if you can get to San Francisco for departure this Sunday or Monday, send me a private message asap!

--cindy

ps -- if I can't go, can I get a refund on my Kona Kai ticket?

I wish we could go, I'll miss you guys and gals but looks like I'll be attending to business concerns, and my father has had two serious health events in two weeks (minor strokes), so I'll be watching that closely for about six weeks.. But we will definitely see you all at Hukilau and sooner at Omnilau!

C

Aloha from America's Desert Playground!

For you Exotica 2003 participants, be on the lookout for two Caliente tropics Resort giveaways!

Here's one of the giveaways:
Three Nights in the Tahitian Lanai, plus two, 1-Hour Spa Treatments in the tropics RETREAT, plus one Limited First Edition, gold Caliente tropics Resort Tiki Mug designed and manufactured by Tiki Farm (only 75 gold ones made of the rare Palm Springs, SA mugs). We only have six of these left and the blue ones (75 of those) are long gone.

Wish I could be there!

Don't just THINK out of the box......get OUT of the box!!

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 2 3 103 replies