Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki bar called Painkiller to open in Manhattan in March!

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

T
thejab posted on Fri, Jan 8, 2010 2:22 PM

From FoodandWine.com:

Preview: Painkiller from Dutch Kills team
By Kate Krader, Restaurant Editor

If you’re like me, and one tiki drink is never enough, here’s good news. The men behind the awesome Dutch Kills bar in Long Island City—Giuseppe Gonzalez and Richard Boccato—are opening a tiki bar in Manhattan. Called Painkiller, the bar is scheduled to open by early March. “We’re trading in Old-Fashioneds for Mai Tais,” says Gonzalez. Well, not exactly: Since the team is planning to blend 1970s New York culture and 1940s tiki culture, this may just be the best-ever tiki bar. Even the address is cool: It’s on Essex Street, in the old East Side Company Bar space.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/mouthing-off/2010/01/08/Preview-Painkiller-from-Dutch-Kills-team

awesome.
when it warms up i will be in nyc at least once a month.

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jan 8, 2010 2:36 PM

Huh? 1940's is Pre-Tiki and 1970's is Tiki Devolution.

And they're claiming this is going to be the best Tiki bar ever?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-08 14:38 ]

T
thejab posted on Fri, Jan 8, 2010 2:44 PM

I didn't get that part either, John-O. I assume the writer isn't as up on her tiki bar history as some of us here. Did she mean it's going to be disco mixed with pre-Tiki Polynesian?

[ Edited by: thejab 2010-01-08 14:47 ]

Problem is, neither the press NOR the restaurant industry in general have ever taken the time to educate themselves WHAT actually defines TIKI culture. They think anything that has a stick of bamboo on it and some import store carvings can be called Tiki.

And as soon as you start to try to explain it, the "but Tiki is supposed to be FUN" contingent rises up and squelches any meaningful discussion: "YOU can't dictate ME how I am gonna have fun!!!" Yada, yada, yada yada...

The other problem is: By now, everybody wants to re-invent it, not do the "same old thing". Look at the new Luau in Beverly Hills: They took the name of a famous Tiki temple, claiming to be inspired by it --but then they did not want to be called "Tiki"!? Thing is, in order to re-invent something, you have to understand it in the first place. Only then can one apply informed and creative innovations to a style.

However, that kind of problem of lack of understanding something, or lack of interest to, is not exclusive to Tiki culture

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jan 8, 2010 5:04 PM

Well at least the cocktails should be great. I Yelped "Dutch Kills" and it looks like a New Cocktailian joint that puts substance before style. Master mixology is the rule.

Get this. A lot of the early reviews complained that the place still smelled like "varnish".

Do you So CA Tikiphiles, get that joke? :lol:

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-08 17:19 ]

TM

On 2010-01-08 15:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
in order to re-invent something, you have to understand it in the first place. Only then can one apply informed and creative innovations to a style.

However, that kind of problem of lack of understanding something, or lack of interest to, is not exclusive to Tiki culture

Exactly. And this is the problem I have with hippy culture, (for example) especially the neo-hippy jam band scene. All these guys claiming to be playing "jazz" without taking the time to really understand the genre, the lineage, the history! You hit the nail right on the head, Sven.

I too enjoy the "fun" aspect of tiki, but to me, the "fun" lies in the appreciation of authenticity as well.

No worries - your NYC ohana is on the case - we will definitely case this joint and report back to the group...

On 2010-01-09 14:34, leisure master wrote:
No worries - your NYC ohana is on the case - we will definitely case this joint and report back to the group...

Excellent!!! Tofu Joe & I are coming back to NYC in June, so get prepared...

Tiki may already may be heading for the shark-jump in NYC...

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/pupu-yahoo/?src=twt&twt=nytimesdining

Ha ha, I like this guy's comment:

"This must be a re-revival then. You guys covered the last "revival" already -- 7 years ago."

KSC

On 2010-01-09 14:53, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2010-01-09 14:34, leisure master wrote:

Mind if I tag along? I need to make some local friends who are into tiki :)

What we really need is a Frankie's Tiki Room NYC !!!

J

On 2010-01-13 03:21, RevBambooBen wrote:

Well I believe that P. Moss who owns both Frankie's and the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas also has a branch of the DDS in NYC.

Hmmmmm... Interesting.

J

Well I believe that P. Moss who owns both Frankie's and the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas also has a branch of the DDS in NYC.

Hmmmmm... Interesting.

amen to that!

On 2010-01-09 14:53, Haole'akamai wrote:

Fantastic!

Let us know when you know the details.

June is busy with Hukilau and Ohana, but hopefully your timing is right so we can arrange a visit to the Rhum Rhum Room!

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2010-01-13 11:38 ]

I've been to the Double Down in NYC. I kinda like the Vegas version better, but a punk rock bar in any incarnation is better than a douchy 'check me out' bar any day, in my opinion. Moss is spreading the gospel... By the way, the Library bar across the street has a killer jukebox.

On 2010-01-13 04:12, JOHN-O wrote:

Hmmmmm... Interesting.

Who's P Moss?

J

On 2010-01-13 19:18, RevBambooBen wrote:

Who's P Moss?

Huh is that a trick question?

I thought that was the guy who paid for your Ferrari. :)

NEW YORK CITY! string em up...

Sounds interesting, I hope the drinks are good! I'll definitely check it out when I'm there on business in April.

As an aside, is it too much to ask that We (as in TCers) avoid piling on this place with all the negativity before it's even open? Give it a chance, it might be good; don't automatically assume the guys don't know what they're doing just because you don't know them, or because of some snippet of a quote in a web article. It's hard enough to start a small business, especially one that relies so heavily in word of mouth (or word of keyboard). I would see it shut down in May because people were too lazy to read past the first three comments on this thread.

On 2010-01-15 09:47, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

As an aside, is it too much to ask that We (as in TCers) avoid piling on this place with all the negativity before it's even open?

In that vein, it appears the people opening PKs are the same that own Dutch Kills (in Long Island?), which seems to have a pretty good rep for great cocktails.

I'm wary of any bar or restaurant that opens these days on the Lower East Side where Painkiller is set to open. At one time this was a pretty crusty/not so popular, underground area. But over the last 10 years it has unequivocally become Douche-Central/NYC. Veteran Lower East Side/East Village artist Penny Arcade was quoted recently saying "The 10 most popular kids from every high school in America now live in New York City. This used to be the place where you would get away from them, now they're all here". I'll amend that by saying they congregate (mostly on the weekends) on the Lower East Side. But I digress; I sincerely hope that both Painkiller and the Hurricane Club are worth checking out and visiting frequently. NYC desperately needs some good authentic Tiki that will appeal to both hardcore and casual fans. Otto's is definitely a good effort, but they're lacking in the drink department. Everything else about that place is really cool. Waikiki Wally's was another one that gets "A" for effort, but there's a reason, good reason why that place is gone. If you ask me, Trader Vic's should install, at least, the same type of Mai Tai bar that they have at the Beverly Hilton at one of the upscale hotels here in NYC. It would probably do well.

By the way, Moss is the owner of Frankies in Vegas and the Double Down Saloon here in NYC.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2010-01-15 10:39 ]

An update on the Painkiller bar....I am wincing in anticipation of the reaction....you may fire at will....

P

I'd play it.

I'll write a special tune called "The Ten Most Popular Kids From Every High School In America Want to Assign Their Trust Funds To Me."

For real though - Free hot dogs? Pina Coladas?

I'd think they'd need a little Mai Kai visit for some better aps.

V

A tiki bar with bamboo and thatch and some graffiti and some subway tiles and things that are more reminiscent of the Bowery circa 1978.
Yeah, right... I like mixed culture, but I can't imagine the result really.

Oh, great, I'll be in NY in June also before Ohana.

D

On 2010-02-20 03:12, pablus wrote:
I'd play it.

I'll write a special tune called "The Ten Most Popular Kids From Every High School In America Want to Assign Their Trust Funds To Me."

For real though - Free hot dogs? Pina Coladas?

I'd think they'd need a little Mai Kai visit for some better aps.

And there you have it. This 'free hot dogs' business is strike one. You mean to tell me that these guys visited a bunh of Tiki bars in North America and that's the idea they came up with? Something doesn't sound right. Not surprised though, it's not an unfamiliar ploy to get the 'youngsters' to come out to the bars. You'd figure alcohol was enough of a reason to go there, but I guess birthday party food has to be involved. I'm still willing to give this place a chance, but if I walk in there and it smells like hot dogs, that's it. Maybe the drinks will be good. Otherwise I'll wait for the Hurricane to open.

K

Jeez, PainKiller hasn't even opened yet and you guys are already slamming it! Based on what, some journalist's description and its location? Good thing you aren't on the planning board or we would have NO new tiki places in NYC!

Here in the City that has just about anything, I look forward to a touch of tiki! Having neither the time or funds to open my own Big (Pine)Apple tiki bar I'm happy to give any one else's place a chance! It's not easy to open any kind of new bar here and also any place that might appreciate our aloha wear and vibe is welcome.

I'll be living close to the NYC Double Down Saloon in the East Village and not too far from the LES so if you come to town, drop me a line and we'll meet for cocktails.

P.S. Here's a pic from my chihuahua's punk rock theme bday party at the NY Double Down a few years ago.

Cheers!
Kiki

K

And FYI, old school NYC bars have a tradition of free hot dogs like Hell Kitchen's great old dive bar Ruby's.

http://www.rudysbarnyc.com/home.html

If you haven't experience NYC in it's grittier incarnation of the 70's and early 80's in certain area's, well it was amazing. Read Leg's McNeil's "Please Kill Me"

And one of the first bars that ever served an underage KikiTiki was the NYC Trader Vic's- ah, memories.... a bunch of young thrill-seekers sharing a Scorpion Bowl in underground tiki splendor. (the drinking age was still 18 then)

P

That doesn't make it any more appealing.

Anyway - I'll still play it. If I can play against a barn wall in Lake George then I can play against a graffiti sprayed subway themed wall in NYC.

I'll get those trust fund kids hooked on Scorpions and then we'll go set something on fire.

D

On 2010-02-21 05:14, KikiTiki wrote:

If you haven't experience NYC in it's grittier incarnation of the 70's and early 80's in certain area's, well it was amazing. Read Leg's McNeil's "Please Kill Me"

I have lived in said time, and I've read said book.

One of the Tiki joints that was here during that time was the Hawaii Kai. Unfortunately I never visited, but I'll take a wild guess here and say that they didn't serve hot dogs.

J

Actually Tiki and hot dogs go very well together. I was slamming down the Tropicals (on an empty stomach) one Saturday afternoon at Frankie's and was in need of some drunk food to soak up the rum. A local guy came in with a box of deep-fried (!!) hot dogs and offered to share one with me.

That hot dog and my Zombie was a match made in heaven !!

I wish I remember where he got those hot dogs. :(

Frankie's Tiki Room NYC would kill!

Me like hot dogs !

J

On 2010-02-21 04:55, KikiTiki wrote:
Jeez, PainKiller hasn't even opened yet and you guys are already slamming it! Based on what, some journalist's description and its location? Good thing you aren't on the planning board or we would have NO new tiki places in NYC!

Maybe it should have been a Trader Vic's Island Bar & Grill instead. :lol:

But this time you can't blame the Californians.

How about a new rule on TC? You can't post an opinion unless you have first hand experience.

FYI, this place looks to have a very good pedigree. I think you can anticipate top-notch drinks even if the decor might not adhere to classic Tiki-style. If you're really lucky those free hot dogs will be deep-fried.

Also maybe you should read between the lines on Bamboo Ben's comments. You might really have something to look forward to later this year.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-22 00:06 ]

T

“We’re not going to restrict standing,” Mr. Boccato said. “We don’t want to have anything less than a convivial, festive environment. If there are people standing, so be it. If there are people cursing, so be it. This is not Tiki Chic. This is not Sleepy Tiki. This is New York City Tiki.”

I don't know, it seems to me the owners are the ones with the negative attitude, rather than us TCers. What in the hell is "Tiki Chic" and "Sleepy Tiki"?

It sounds to me they are going for loud and obnoxious, which is just what I don't want in a bar (and which you find in 90% of bars, so what is so unique about this one to make me want to go?).

(Quote from this)

[ Edited by: thejab 2010-02-22 15:10 ]

I like this quote from that last article: "Painkiller will bring a mixologist's touch to the tiki genre". Thank God someone finally did that...

D

On 2010-02-22 21:43, Brandomoai wrote:
I like this quote from that last article: "Painkiller will bring a mixologist's touch to the tiki genre". Thank God someone finally did that...

This may sound snobby and/or ignorant, and if you are lucky enough to live in other places, yeah it probably would be. But believe me...none of the recent tiki bars in NY have had anything near respectable tiki drinks.

"...but nobody need feel pressured to sit"

I didn't know standing in a bar was ever such a big deal! How big are these places?

On 2010-03-01 20:54, delirium wrote:
...none of the recent tiki bars in NY have had anything near respectable tiki drinks.

I imagine you are talking about Otto's and Waikiki Wally's and places like that. I do have high hopes for the drinks at Painkiller because of the folks involved. However, there are bartenders around the city that do know how to do it right, even if not in a tiki setting (which is not preferable, I know). However, if the choice is great drinks in a non-tiki setting or crappy drinks in a tiki setting, I'll take the former, unless the crab rangoons are REALLY good...

For those of you that were able to visit Elettaria before it closed, you know what I mean...and FYI, Joe is now working at Flatiron Lounge on 19th street and is still turning out grogs, mai tais, KILLER '34 zombies (with LH151) and his own original creations....

just sayin'

T

I'd love to check them out. If I can't out-Tiki them, I'll out-New York them! :wink:
steve/otto's

go get em' Steve
Flatiron Lounge - whens the man behind the bar - Joe - joe?

Hey kids,
I'm at Flatiron tues, wed, fri and sat nights.
Stop in and have some classic and original tropical concoctions!
See all y'all soon,
Joe

Update here....looks like they will open around April 11 now.

G

On 2010-03-03 13:29, leisure master wrote:
For those of you that were able to visit Elettaria before it closed, you know what I mean...

Wait. What? Elettaria closed? Damn! Very good drinks there. That's a shame.

On 2010-01-12 12:17, leisure master wrote:
Tiki may already may be heading for the shark-jump in NYC...

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/pupu-yahoo/?src=twt&twt=nytimesdining

I think there's an echo in here....there's getting to be a line for the shark-jump - more NYC tropical fun...

Another update...Painkiller has a website and a logo now.

um, hmmmmm.

Should be open by tax day they say...

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2010-03-31 08:06 ]

Pages: 1 2 68 replies