Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New (Old) Member Finally Signing In!

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

J

Aloha Everyone!

After many years of having Tiki Central as an extremely important part of almost every aspect of my life,
I’ve finally decided to make it official.
And, I can think of no better occasion on which to do it than today, the historic 10th anniversary of Tiki Central!

It’s a bit strange to write an introduction for so many that I already consider some of my best friends, co-workers
and colleagues, but it’s also recently become crystal clear how many other Tiki brothers and sisters are out there
that don’t necessarily attend events, are far away, or just plain prefer to exist within the realms of an online forum.
Also, after years of taking (reading and digesting others’ valuable, informative posts), I feel that it’s important to
give something back. So, in the near future, it is my intention to share many of the things we’ve collected over the
years, including many of the photographs I’ve made that have never seen the light of day. I’d like to do my part to
help bring the pieces of the Tiki puzzle together as a contributing member of Hanford’s invaluable creation.

Here’s a huge congratulations to Hanford for 10 amazing years and a toast to many, many more!!!

Looking forward to finally being an official, contributing Tiki Central member!

Warmly,

Jonpaul

P.S. For those that I haven’t yet had the pleasure of meeting, here’s some brief background information...
I’m a photographer, photo editor, musician, writer and collector from Los Angeles that has been with
Tiki Magazine since issue number one. My work can be seen in Sippin’ Safari, Tiki Mugs:
Cult Artifacts of Polynesian Pop
, the upcoming Beachbum Berry Remixed, the revised edition of
Tiki Road Trip, and I am currently working on a couple of Tiki Book projects of my own. I can be
heard playing bass with The Tikiyaki Orchestra, The Boardwalkers and The Insect Surfers and have had
the pleasure of filling in with The Disasternauts, 3 Balls of Fire, The Ghastly Ones, and others. Aloha!

JonPaul

Welcome aboard the crazy train!

T

OH MY FRIKKEN GOD !

Hell freezes over.

I win Lotto

2 things I thought I'd see happen before JP joins Tiki Central !

FINALLY !

Welcome JP...It's about time !

It's about "F"ing time my brutha!! Welcome to TC !!!

Rapa Nui, Man !!

right on

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 12, 2010 2:19 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 12, 2010 2:20 PM

P.S. Welcome aboard Jay Pea.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-01-12 14:21 ]

TS

Dang, I thought you just didnt post! haha...Bout time, bro! Welcome!

I lift my rum barrel to ya, buddy! I can't wait, somebody else that values IMAGES of Tiki over talk! :)

Welcome aboard JP! I, too, was under the impression that you just never posted!

WoooHooo!!! Welcome to TC :)

WoooHooo!!! Welcome to TC :)

Well Hello Jonpaul! :)

New members are supposed to post here ~ "Introductions! New members post here" :roll:

Thanks and welcome to Tiki Central.

Way to go Jon Paul!
FINALLY!
You're a man of great artistic sensibility and overall knowledge
It'll be great to have your voice chiming in around here!
Welcome......Back?

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jan 12, 2010 3:35 PM

Jonpaul-

You're a fixture at local events I never realized you didn't have a TC presence until today!

I'm sure our paths will cross again soon somewhere around town.

Oh yeah, we've got to get together someday to kick out the jams (motherf..kers!)

Welcome home! G

Wow...the man owns a computer! No better time than the 10th anniversary to quit lurking! Hopefully see ya tonight at Don's.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jan 12, 2010 5:13 PM

Procrastinationtiki in da house!! welcome aboard good buddy!!!

Too funny, Jonpaul. On a few occasions I've meant to ask you what your TC name was, assuming you were one of the regulars that posted all the time, and that I just hadn't paired you with your posts. Really looking forward to seeing some of your pics in the near future! Congrats on becoming "official" (oh, the irony)....and what a day to do it!

Deanna

Are you sure about this? :wink:

T

oops! see below!

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-01-12 18:29 ]

T

Dang! I was gonna register as JONPAUL, but you beat me to it!

Yay! Jonpaul!

Now post, Post POST!!!

T

er... see above!

(incidentally, this is not what I meant by post post post)

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-01-12 18:30 ]

JB

Wait....what's going on? How can this be?

K

Aloha, JP!
:drink:
K.

Well, I never thought I'd see the day!! Welcome Old Man. Now sign up on facebook already!!

Yeah, yeah... Tiki Magazine credentials, respected photographer and musician, beloved by all, blah-dee-blah blah blah...
DO I KNOW YOU??

With Much Aloha, and glad you've joined us in this monkey cage.

Your magazine comrade,
Kari

For those of you who do not know what Jon Paul looks like ...

Shown here telling travel stories at last years airstream trailer caravan down to Oaxaca Mexico.

Oh, Jon Paul, get used to people putting your head on random pictures. Welcome to TC.

Doug....You're a genius.

T

Welcome to TC Jonpaul.
Looking forward to seeing some of your photographs on here and buying Beachbum Berry Remixed!

Aloha and welcome buddy!!!

What a minute, who's Jonpaul again! :lol:

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

TM

JP! Good stuff!
\
\

(Jon Paul is one of my favorite bass players in the tiki scene.)

(Jon Paul is one of my favorite bass players in the tiki scene.)

We second that!

Welcome aboard!

Well I wish you had done it early in the Day so I could have replied first, but oh well, I've noticed all of the real stuff on TC happens after noon.
:o

so does this mean that your going to post the show info for Don's now?
:wink:

Good to finally see you on here braddah, now get my beer.

Can't wait to see some of your amazing Photos, and Informative posts.

You'd better post next in the Bacon thread in Bilge.
ha ha ha

Rapa Nui man,
Jeff(btd)

Welcome to TC? haha....

whatever...

why dont you throw a parade for yourself while your at it...

:)

On 2010-01-13 11:01, Monkeyman wrote:
whatever...

why dont you throw a parade for yourself while your at it...

Wow and people say I'm an Eeyore.
yeeesh.

J

Aha, so JP was the Insect Surfer that I saw on the far right at the Mar Vista show.

Wow, Tiki photography, Exotica and Surf music. A true Tiki renaissance man !!

I heard he was the ghost writer for the Book of Tiki too. Is that really true ?? :lol:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 13, 2010 11:26 AM

What's wrong with throwing a parade for JP? If we start designing floats now and pulling some parade permits, and settle on a place to have it, we should be able to pull it off by June or so. BigTikiDude, you're in charge of getting some sponsors and some Surf Bands to perform. Bamboo Ben, you get the permits and scout a location. Maybe on thePacific Coast Highway and can end the parade at Don the Beachcomber. We can start building the floats in front GROG house and then move them down to Bamboo Ben's store as a holding area before the parade. Soccer Tiki, you're in charge of getting cops for crowd control. Kinny is in charge of advertising and promotion. Volunteers are always welcome. We have plenty of other job assignments that need to be filled.

This is going to be an AWESOME parade, JP!

somehow I get the feeling the parade would end up like this.
:o :wink:

not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-13 11:31 ]

TWO

It seems kinda weird to welcome someone who's always been here but.....Welcome JP.
I, too, am looking forward to seeing some of the pics you mentioned.

Welcome Jonpaul!

After years of enjoying your talent elsewhere, we'll now have the pleasure of enjoying your talent here!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-01-13 12:04 ]

Welcome bro,
Looking forward to seeing your (Tiki) mug shots.

Rapa Nui, Man!
Ran

Oh ya, ten years of TC and were finally blessed with your presence?

Audio

DZ

All this tiki cred, exposure & experience and the best TC name you can come up with is - your own??

Welcome, braddah, (although it feels like you've been here all along)!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 13, 2010 3:20 PM

Mucho gusto, nice to meet you. I have two questions:
Why you didn't register before?
Why are you signing up now?
Bonus: What's your connection with Mexico?
misterio misterioso

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-15 08:58 ]

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-15 08:58 ]

Pages: 1 2 66 replies