Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Mauna Loa (zona rosa), Mexico City, Mexico (bar)

Pages: 1 15 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 20, 2010 12:45 AM

Name:Mauna Loa (zona rosa)
Type:bar
Street:Hamburgo 172
City:Mexico City
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Not to be confused with the The Mauna Loa Restaurant in San Jeronimo

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 3:30 PM

From Arkiva Tropica:
restaurant brochure from Mauna Loa - Mexico City, Mexico
Item added on September 29, 2006, 8:52 PM
Latest picture added on September 29, 2006, 9:04 PM

Mauna Loa was located at 172 Hamburgo , Mexico City.

From the brochure: "Among the jungle gardens and Polynesian idols, the very walls seem to speak of exotic viands from the far corners of the world."

© 2006 Mimi Payne
I am not sure of how did the interiors of the "Zona Rosa" bar looked like. This is the only place where I have seen the printed address and a picture.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 4:01 PM

Special thanks to the famous anonymous collector who owns this piece of Mexican Tiki history. You know who you are. :wink:

Vintage menu with the Hamburgo address.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 16, 2010 1:23 PM

Mauna Loa Mexico

Review from a 1962 travel magazine

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 7:07 AM

Review from a 1964 AAA Mexico travel guide

T

I've been meaning to post this for ages.

This souvenir photo from the Mauna Loa was a gift from ookoo.

Fantastic volcano art!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 1:11 PM

:o

Gracias Tiki-Kate!

I guess this ad goes in this thread...

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Apr 17, 2010 10:42 AM

From the "Tiki en Español" Thread:

On 2010-04-17 10:36, ravenne wrote:

On 2010-04-14 13:16, Zeta wrote:
Translation needed:

On 2010-04-02 20:27, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I've been meaning to post this for ages.

This souvenir photo from the Mauna Loa was a gift from ookoo.

TRANSLATION:

Mauna Loa, (zincon?) de Hawaii, from the gorgeous tropical entrance that visitors are greeted with...

...to the refreshing currents of the ocean surrounding you, the unusual fauna, and the capricious flora that compliment the surrounding.

It doesn't matter where you come from. Mauna Loa is a restaurant where they serve exotic drinks, plates, prepared with delight for the most demanding taste buds, surrounded by a one of a kind atmosphere.

Normalmente me gusta hacer los traducciones para ustedes, por que es un forma de practica para que puedo escribir :lol:  

pero algunas veces me olvido,  
pero voy a tratar ayudar mas :D  

In the first line of the text, it's rincon instead of zincon (that word doesn't exist)...
rincon means hideaway.

[ Edited by: Zeta 2010-04-17 10:45 ]

A spectacular coaster from the Mauna Loa.

(Alas it is not mine)

DC

Zeta,

No more shouting about politics past and present! How about some images of Tiki in Mexico? A 1966 photo from the Mauna Loa in Zona Rosa with a nice table view and a respectable Tiki in the background.

DC

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2016 8:58 PM

Thanks Dusty!

No politics. Ok. I'm apolitical really...

Where did you found this picture? Pretty cool! Never seen a table shot like that!

T

"Unknown delights to fascinate the palate"

One for Zeta, a magazine ad plucked from Facebook today.

(edit: from the January, 1959 issue of Mexican Life magazine)

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2016-09-10 20:14 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Sep 10, 2016 6:55 PM

Gracias Tikicoma! I like you! You definetly make me hang out more here at TC. So I will.

Hopefully this is the right place for this? I found it posted on Facebook by Matt Watson.

When the original Mauna Loa in Zona Rosa burned down in the mid 60s, the restaurant moved to the south of the city to an area known as El Pedregal, which is built on volcanic rock.

"I recently interviewed María Elena Díaz Otahi, who was a dancer in the Polynesian floor show at Mexico City's Mauna Loa from 1991 until 2002 (the restaurant closed the following year). Afterwards, she sent me lots of fantastic photos from the restaurant which I thought some of you may be interested in seeing. Open the photos to see individual comments/info. Many thanks to María Elena for sharing these! She currently runs a Polynesian dance school; you can find more info in the final image. You can find the full 6-page interview (in Spanish) in the fifth issue of La Cultura Tiki Fanzine which we've just released."

Mauna 01 Mauna 02 Mauna 03 Mauna 04 Mauna 05 Mauna 06 Mauna 07 Mauna 08 Mauna 09 Mauna 10

The resident band for the floor show, known as Grupo Hanalei. Mauna 11 Mauna 12 Mauna 13

You can see naturally occurring volcanic rock behind the glass here, as well as the 25 ft.+ waterfall Mauna 14 Mauna 15

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-06-27 12:33:59 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies