Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Is there an official place to post about home bars on Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

MT

I was looking through Tiki Central, and was wondering if there is official consensus on where to post info and pics of peoples' home bars, and bar builds? I've seen posts ranging in places from General Tiki, to Locating Tiki, to Creating Tiki. I was just thinking that it might be nice to have a "Home Tiki Bars" category, or sub-category somewhere on TC, to make it easier to find what peeps have built, plus how they went about it, and what extraordinary lengths it took them to get there. Any thoughts? Hanford?

We had a discussion about that here...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=22034&forum=1&start=135&hilite=Better%20Homes%20and%20Tikis

Go about 3/4 of the way down the page...I suggested something like this a while ago. I still think it would make a great category.

I agree. A Home Tiki Bar/Room sub-directory under Creating Tiki would be cool. Someone would have to move all of the old posts overthere though.

DC

M

+1 for a home bar category

[ Edited by: Murph 2010-01-27 12:31 ]

This comes up from time to time. Here's my take on it:

Are we talking about showing off final pics of one's home bar? Or construction photos?

Tikiaki's post sounds like he's looking more for showing off. Mai Tai's request sounds like more of a how-to.

Regarding how-to: I kinda feel building a home bar is not a single project but a bunch of mini-projects, that all would go under Creating Tiki.

If you make a lamp for your home bar, clearly that's a Creating Tiki -> Other Crafts post. If you build some shelves, does that go in Other Crafts? or Home Bar? I've always felt that it still goes in Creating. I've always felt that you can break down any home bar into many projects that, by themselves, don't belong in a "home bar" section. Or perhaps another way of putting it is: "Other Crafts" is basically a Home Bar how-to section.

I'm not saying that's the final word; just it's never been really defined otherwise by members here. If we can define what a "Home Bars" subsection of Creating Tiki would include, and how it is different than "Other Crafts", I'd seriously consider creating it (again, as a sub-section of Creating Tiki).

Regarding Tiki Architecture (as mentioned in tikiaki's other post):
That would be a cool section to have, I'd love to hear more about how it would differ than the other forums on TC, just so I have a good idea as to where it belongs. I already feel that sometimes you've got postcards of buildings being posted to General, and other times they're posted to locating. So I'd like to hear a bit more about how people see Tiki Architecture fitting in with the other forums.

Also, if Home Bars were included in this section, I would assume it's for finished photos only, or perhaps general in-progress shots, but real how-tos and step-by-steps would belong in creating.

And additionally, if this forum included home and commerical spaces, I don't think this would satisfy what Mai Tai and others have been asking for, which is a single place for Home Bars.

I'm open to hearing people's thoughts on this.

You could always add it it to This Post.
:lol:

On 2010-01-27 12:40, hanford_lemoore wrote:

Are we talking about showing off final pics of one's home bar? Or construction photos?

Tikiaki's post sounds like he's looking more for showing off. Mai Tai's request sounds like more of a how-to.

WHAAA ? Uh-uh...I like the "how-to" posts the best...the process...so we can all learn from the people who have done spectacular jobs already.

I DO like to see the awesome finished product too, but being a creative spazz when it comes to this stuff, I really am more interested in the creative process, being that I have no real creative ability in that dept.

Here's my post...

I will also add that the exterior and landscaping of one's outdoor tiki paradise is just as fascinating and educational...ie: what plants to choose, and landscaping materials. My wish is for a HGTV style thread for sharing ideas, designs, building methods AND the beauty shot of the final product, as you can really get great ideas from the way people put together their home bar and other home Tiki spaces.

The key difference to me in the "creating tiki" environment is whether one is alot of artists post their art in progress, but it may not be for their home, it may be for a show or an event, in which they will sell the artwork, and not for their home bar.

I do see you point about each bar is a series of mini projects tho'....I guess that takes some figurin'...

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-01-27 12:55 ]

I also vote for a sub forum of home tiki bars. I dont think it would matter if they were in progress or complete...

Im going to start my next new tiki room in the next 8-10 weeks.

Its going to be a complete overhaul with window replacement, chimney removal, new doors, drywall and new wiring (network, electrical, speakers etc).

I was going to start a new thread documenting the process from basic construction all the way through final details (lauhala, routerwork, cieling treatments, lamp placement etc).

A specific sub forum might be a nice way for all of us to easily find all the other similar projects (both in process and complete)

"Home Bars" would be a fine separate sub-cat of Creating Tiki, regardless of the whether or not you consider it broken up into smaller projects or really just creation of the whole space. The thread someone starts for their Tiki lamp project could still go in "Other Crafts", or be included in "Home Bars" as that particular lamp fits into their "Home Bar".

M
Murph posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 1:31 PM

On 2010-01-27 13:16, Haole'akamai wrote:

"Home Bars" would be a fine separate sub-cat of Creating Tiki, regardless of the whether or not you consider it broken up into smaller projects or really just creation of the whole space. The thread someone starts for their Tiki lamp project could still go in "Other Crafts", or be included in "Home Bars" as that particular lamp fits into their "Home Bar".

Makes sense. My photos of the bar in process would go under "Home Bars" as well as the photos of the finished bar.
If I were making say a lamp for my bar I would post the process photos of the lamp under "Other Crafts" once I was done the pictures of it in place in my bar would go in my thread under "Home Bars"

MT

My thoughts are that I'd like to see equally both pics of people's completed home bars, as well as construction photos and how to's. On the pictures front, I was thinking that some people have bars that are already completed, whether they built them, had someone else build them, or purchased a house that where the bar was already pre-built. And also, maybe someone may have pics of a relative's or friend's home bar, but that friend isn't online or doesn't want to join Tiki Central. Or perhaps we have found some pics in a photo album either passed down from family members or found in a yard sale, that have some bitchin' home tiki bar photos. Where would we post pics like these? The Creating Tiki forum wouldn't really work so well in some of these cases, since the person posting those pics really didn't create anything.

Construction photos of home bar builds obviously could be argued that they belong in Creating Tiki. But like Boris mentions in this thread there are so many other threads of all the stuff that all of the artists are making, from carvings to paintings to ceramics to clothes to jewelry to whatever, that threads for home bar builds seem to get lost in a sea of artists posts, as well as a sea of posts there and in other forums that are in the wrong place, are from people that didn't use the search funtion, etc. To me, it seems like the amount of effort and care that people have put into their home bars, in an effort to help foster that aloha spirit and help keep tiki alive, deserves a little more recognition than just fading away in a sea of more generalized posts.

Also, if Home Bars were included in this section, I would assume it's for finished photos only, or perhaps general in-progress shots, but real how-tos and step-by-steps would belong in creating.

My thoughts on photos and how to's on the construction of home bars would also be in the "Home Tiki Bars" category. If the person wanted to get really detailed, and show exactly how he or she built each lamp, rain window effect that Boris will not be allowed to see, etc, in excruciating detail, then those details could be linked over to a thread in Creating Tiki. But the general details and ideas of what the person did or built could be generally conveyed in the "Home Tiki Bars" section. Take this thread by Bongofury, for example. He shows in a dozen or less pictures in one single post how he transformed an 8 foot tiki bar into a bathroom vanity, and remodeled the whole bathroom floor and all, which is a lot less photos than I'd show on how to build a tapa cloth fish trap lamp like the one I built at Monkeyman's lamp class. If I was posting a home bar build in "Home Tiki Bars", I would make a general post like Bongofury did in my thread on the bathroom tiki bar conversion, but would show how I built exactly built the tapa lamp in a detailed separate linked thread in Creating Tiki.

And additionally, if this forum included home and commerical spaces, I don't think this would satisfy what Mai Tai and others have been asking for, which is a single place for Home Bars.

Yeah, for my own personal tastes, I wouldn't want to see home bars lumped in with commercial bars, or commercial bar builds.

I'd also like to add that, as in life, not everything can easily be categorized as either black or white, but sometimes falls into a shade of gray. But I think that we may have hit upon an idea that that can be defined and categorized enough to stand on it's own merit. That being said, I'm also very interested in hearing more on what Hanford and others have to say on this. Let's keep those comments coming! :) Except for Boris.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 2:34 PM

I vote for a separate "home bar" category too!

I'm in the planning stage (on paper) today to begin a major home-bar tiki project in the next few weeks (The Grotto.)

Here is the point for a "home-bar" category: The Grotto is intended to be a COMPLETE, UNIFIED ENVIRONMENT. All elements are (or will be) themed, designed, built and installed specifically for this one unique home space. Individual elements - as stand alone(s) may be considered "other crafts" yes, but...but the original intent to create them in the first place is for a unified whole, as part of a collection of elements to satisfy a common goal.

Even though most of the decor elements will be hand-crafted, I don't intend to design, make,or sell duplicates of anything in the future and/or offer them for sale. Therefore I see these projects as beyond "other crafts".

In a home bar category I may start a thread especially regarding "The Grotto" and put all my build summaries, photos, TC member responses etc ALL IN ONE SPOT that makes sense! If anybody specifically asks "How did you do that?" - I'd respond in the "creating tiki" category at that time.

It will be easy for other members to pin-point my personal home-bar project if they choose to do so and not have to search thru several different thread categories to find me (or search thru TikiG's posts for individual Grotto element info.)

Tiki architecture deserves its own space as well. More on that later.

Thanks for reading this.

K

Hoping to finally start my own construction in the coming weeks I would LOVE a section dedicated to showcasing the home bars - a section that I would aspire to have my own home bar a part of someday.

Some great points have been brought up in this thread already.

If I build "X" for my own home bar... should it go in a home bar progres thread? Or its own how to thread? Lets say for example the glass fishing float lamps thread from not long ago.

My thoughts are that if you have a single project that you wish to write a "how to" that others may find useful... create a separate thread just for that project. I'd say post a quick blurb in your home bar "build" thread with a link to the "how to" thread - sure... a bit more work for some but would help keep things organized (at least in my own hazy brain).

I would love to see each "home bar" thread grow as the build progresses but feel that some may choose to only show the finished result - while others may only choose to show the progress of the build and you have to see the final result in person. :) What you post in your own "home bar" thread would be up to the poster.

Is there such a thing as a finished home tiki bar?

On 2010-01-27 15:29, MadDogMike wrote:
Is there such a thing as a finished home tiki bar?

Yes, when you sell the property and move.

I would love to see a home bar thread (in the vein of tikiyaki's idea of a home bar section). I think that if a side project is made for a single home bar project, it could go in the home bar section, if you have your own home bar thread, or the old standby, Creating Tiki. The difference with this newly proposed category would be that each thread is pretty much the property of it's poster. Generally, there would be no "show us your bar" community threads, prodding the general tikicentral population to show their bars in your thread...unless it was to give helping hints or to show how something similar was done with their own projects. There would obviously be some bars without progress shots, but I think that having a section devoted to the home bar/lounge/rumpus room builder would be awesome.

I think the real question is, should BambooBen be allowed to post pics? :wink:

Glad Bill brought this subject up again and that Hanford is truly entertaining the idea. I agree that the subsection needs to be well-defined, but think all the suggestions so far would be helpful in doing that. I have a post on my home bar and since it is a work in progress (like most), I always go back to it to post updates...if the Home Bar section becomes reality, I would want my post to move over there. That is a lot of work for you Hanford, but we could all post a link, in a single "moving" thread, of our posting location to make the moves easier.

I love to look at home bars, probably my favorite viewing on the board, but they are so chaotically posted all over, it makes it difficult to find certain ones to reference. Less chance of accidentally hijacking someone else's post too if you are comparing your bar to theirs.

I think the option to post your own thread about your home bar is key and then perhaps threads for questions and answers like "all about sinks" or "best ice-makers"...it could be very organized, helpful and most of all...inspiring to all of us. There are just some amazing projects that people have created and I think it is important to celebrate that in a special section of the board.

Sure, people will make posting errors from time to time and may need to be redirected, but if there is a general description and a sticky with specific guidelines, I think most of us would stay on track. I know that building a lamp or making a lei would go in the "Other Crafts" section and think most folks would adhere to that.

Thanks for considering this suggestion Hanford.

I would love to see all the home bars (in progress or otherwise) in the same sub-section of creating tiki. I understand H.L.'s hesitation, but I think things would eventually sort itself out.

It would then easily become my favourite section to haunt.

S

I agree with slacks. A lamp making is it's own thread, but where it goes in your home bar is an update to that thread. Since a Home Bar is by definition a Creating Tiki, then it fits better there than under Locations.

All the various projects are hard to find since they may not have home bar in the subject, as mine does not.

It is it's own type of project, far from a shelf or lamp.

I'll agree with the vast majority on this, that Home Tiki Bars should have its own sub-directory in "creating tiki" directory/folder.

I can see that some confusion might be about shelving being under creating tiki. Well, my personal opinion and common sense seems to dictate that, if it is just a shelf to show off some wares in a room, then it should be added under Creating Tiki>Other Crafts thread since it isn't being directly linked to a home bar. But if it was built to hold the finest rum behind or under your bar, then into the potential Creating Tiki>"Home Tiki Bar" thread it should go. Home Tiki Bars directory should also include BOTH under contruction/work in progress bars, as well as finished home bars.

The Locating Tiki is a bit more sacred to me in the sense that this is the place you can find information about the polynesian themed paradises of the past, as well as ones that are still around and doing PUBLIC business. I never really thought home bars should be included in this thread, since they are not really public points of interest.

Regarding the Tiki Architecture thread would also be a great sub category/directory in the Locating Tiki thread, as the two definately coincide with eachother.

I think in the long run having or adding sub directories will benefit Tiki Central, and make it easier to navigate and quicken the search process, by eliminating non-direct forum posts in other sections of Tiki Central not relevant to your search.

The hardest thing I see is the movement of topics to get them into their proper new directories and homes, but I'd be willing to help, if it were needed. I don't have alot going on right now, so I'm here if there is a need to dig and move topics.

Great ideas all around.

I agree with Slacks on this as well. A simple 'Home Bar' section would be great. I enjoy progress pics and drawings of plans etc. I know there are several different places on TC where people post them now and it's confusing. I wouldn't want pics of a lamp being built and then being hung in someones home bar. Put the building of the lamp in creating and the hung lamp as a bar improvement in the Home Bar section. I guess it's up to people to be somewhat responsible for not overposting every tiny thing they do. I think doing a bunch of improvements and posting all the work will have a greater impact. If people want to know how you did it then post your progress pics. This is how I would deal with it. People's home bars are the main reason I got on TC in the first place. Discovering 'Ona Tiki's bar on here was a revelation for me. Just my 2 cents.
Peace with every step.

I think this is a great idea. I've often noticed, when folks post pics of their finds, or rattan or artwork, that they have a killer bar/lounge, in the background. Yet, they never seem to post pics of their bar/lounge on its own. Maybe a forum dedicated to the home bar/lounge would encourage people to do so. It could also include a how-to thread, in progress thread, materials source thread, idea thread, party pics thread, display area thread, water feature thread, etc. Let's get this done.

Yes it would be nice to have a "Home Bar" sub in Creating Tiki for photo's of "finished" and in the works builds.

After doing a little searching for where to put my build outI figured Creating was the place for it but as others have said they get lost.

I also listed it in Locating Tiki as it has a listing for Home Bar's, feel free if in the Denver area top stop by for a cocktail!!!

On 2010-01-28 11:26, Tom Slick wrote:

The Locating Tiki is a bit more sacred to me in the sense that this is the place you can find information about the polynesian themed paradises of the past, as well as ones that are still around and doing PUBLIC business. I never really thought home bars should be included in this thread, since they are not really public points of interest.

I'm in the same boat; Locating Tiki should be strictly for public establishments.

MT

On 2010-01-28 13:51, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2010-01-28 11:26, Tom Slick wrote:

I'm in the same boat; Locating Tiki should be strictly for public establishments.

+1. Just a thought, maybe Locating Tiki could be a good place for the "Tiki Architecture" sub-thread, for the architectural stylings of commercial buildings and establishments?

Like many others, I too think a separate home bar section would be great. That said I see the problems that could exist. I would say that if you are showing the build in sections that would be great, but a how I made the lamp over the bar would still go more in the orig. Creating tiki section. That way those who wanted to see the how to of the smaller projects could, but the others could follow just the overall build.
I would agree....home bars should be just the home bars. no pro.- commercial bars

S

Whilst i agree that shelves,lamps,tables etc. should go under the Other crafts section, i think that once an individual has started a thread on his/her own personal bar , then any additions to that bar, be it a lamp, table, shelves that they made should go straight back into the original post.
There is no need to start a new thread saying "New addition to bar".Anybody reading the forums will see that "swizzle" has added a new post to his original thread and will see the addition that they have made as an update.
I also think that although building the bar itself could go in the Other crafts section also, progress shots of it being built would belong under the Home Bar section as it will give you perspective of where the owner started and the finished product. Because although it is a craft it is still ultimately the building of the "Home Bar" itself.

T

I agree that there should be a Home Bar category and it can be placed right over the very non-tiki Ohana listing. That is just a big Happy Birthday to everyone posting place.

We are just about ready to start posting pics of the 3rd and hopefully "final" version of the Wiki Wiki Room....so you guys figure it out soon....and just let us know where to post it!

MT

Any more thoughts on this subject? Any progress, or thoughts on progress happening? Just checking. :wink:

Funny Mai Tai, I just dug up this thread to ask the same question !

Beuller...anyone...anyone ?

I don't want to see this swept under the rug either! I think it's a damn good idea, and I won't be truly satisfied until there's a new forum for home bars! Viva la revolution!

T

I'm all for this, too.
And I think it should be set up like in "Locating Tiki", with the 'Topic' titles being the name of the members' bar, just to lessen the huge frustration of seeing "My new home bar!" and variations about 120 times, ie. ""The Hula Guru Room", Medicine Hat, Alberta", or "Twitch's bar, Vancouver" (man, I gotta change my username) if'n the person hasn't come up with a name yet.

that was my thought as well..

it should be in Locating Tiki

8T

Hey it sounds like everyone is on the right track and I bet it comes together real soon. I'm looking forward to having lots of home bars in one convenient forum. In the meantime, you could start by posting the name of your tiki bar/space to this thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=7354&forum=1&start=0&hilite=name space

*Note to moderators...
If/When the new topic forum is established, move that topic there also.

I'll throw my one cent opinion in. I think a dedicated category for home bars is a great idea. Be it in creating or locating Tiki. I think folks should be able to post the name of their bar and let it rip. A work in progress, finished, new additions to the bar should make no difference in my opinion. Your bar your thread. I'm leaning more towards putting it in creating Tiki as many folks have spent allot of time and effort in creating a place of escape and deserve a place to showcase the talent and ingenuity used in creating a place of refuge in the urban jungle.

M

Why can't home tiki bars have their own Forum and each home bar have their own Post? Just asking.:)

On 2010-01-28 12:04, Big Kahuna wrote:
I think this is a great idea. I've often noticed, when folks post pics of their finds, or rattan or artwork, that they have a killer bar/lounge, in the background. Yet, they never seem to post pics of their bar/lounge on its own. Maybe a forum dedicated to the home bar/lounge would encourage people to do so. It could also include a how-to thread, in progress thread, materials source thread, idea thread, party pics thread, display area thread, water feature thread, etc. Let's get this done.

Throw me some support here, folks. I really think this should be a forum. Hanford, what do you think?

On 2010-02-13 08:35, mudbone wrote:
Why can't home tiki bars have their own Forum and each home bar have their own Post?

Well, the consensus seems to be that Home Bars would be its own forum, but as a sub-forum in (I believe) Creating Tiki, right along side Carving and Other Crafts.

And, as it's a forum, each person could create their own thread for their private space.

I'm in for a sub-forum in Creating Tiki as well.

Got my support

As someone who is currently beginning the process of converting the front bedroom into a tiki oasis, I too would like to see a "home bar" section.

T

I'll build a second home bar if it'll help the chances. Doubling up on booze has never been a hassle, and as a plus I can do a bar crawl without leaving the house!

On 2010-02-15 08:44, CucamongaChango wrote:
As someone who is currently beginning the process of converting the front bedroom into a tiki oasis, I too would like to see a "home bar" section.

Another bedroom tiki bar! Yes!

Make it happen.....where ever Hanford thinks it would work best as a sub forum. Each homebar could have its own thread by its name....and then you could post whatever that relates to the home bar in it, Progress shots, parties, etc.....

T

A perfect example of why this thread is necessary. I'm getting ready to start tikifying my deck, and I'm wading through thousands of posts for Patio and outdoor space ideas, looking for photos, using search words like "patio" , "outdoor"..."backyard" produced a few results, but alot of wading through stuff that has nothing to do with what I want to see.

LOL...twitch has got a new crawl...the INTRA-HOME BAR CRAWL. I know there are a few folks that could do that at their homes!!!

I think getting this set up would energize all of us. I have tons of work to do on my lounge. Here's hoping for some decent tax return mula so I can frame my art collection and start filling up my empty walls.

B

LOL Yes, I have and indoor bar and the outdoor bar, depending on the season!

Still open for a slot on any Bay Area Crawl, here in Northbay :wink:

Pages: 1 2 51 replies