Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tikiyaki kicked Nor-Cal's Ass (So-Cal Style)

Pages: 1 37 replies

TWO

The Tikiyaki Orchestra show at Trader Vic's Palo Alto was AMAZING. Thank you to the band for kicking Mucho Bootay. They are great guys, on and off stage. Thank you to everybody that came to the show, bought stuff from the vendors, ate, drank, had a good time.
It was a great night.

TWO

I know I was drinkin' a lot but was that "Detroit Rock City" I heard them play?? Awesome.

Pics..Pics..We want to see pics. We were so bummed that we couldn't be there :(

K

Thank ya Jim, Mark, Tikiyaki, and everyone else involved in putting this thing on. Tanya and I had a damn good time!

Just got home from the Tikiyaki show-it was the first time I've seen them, and they were awesome! They went on at 8:30 and played til after 11. Great show! Thanks, Tikiyaki, for finally making it to NorCal! Please come back when the weather is warm!!! We are all hoping for this to develop into a tiki weekender in Palo Alto. You guys are awesome!!

:drink: :drink:
Tacky Tiki

Fabulous show...thanks for rocking out out NorCal. My first time to the Trader Vic's in Palo Alto...they did a great job of hosting!!!

HAHAHA I think Tikiyaki played great as always.
I think the hard partying/drinking Nor. Cal. people kicked their own ass.
:o :wink:
seeing some of the people dragging their butts out to the Pool area for Brunch today was quite hilarious.

I cut myself off around 11:30 last night.
But was up till 3 amish in the room party of Ron's (thanks for having us over)
and was really tired, but not dying this morning.

Great so see so many old friends,
and meet some new ones.
and I even talked about 5 or 6 surf crowd people into coming,
that were considering going to the Mermen cd release Party.
Kudos to those of you who came to Tikiyaki last night.

Heard a rumor about a Possible show up there by the Pool, and with other bands in the summer, that sounds like a Hoot, will be there for sure.

Jeff(btd)

Oh, thanks to Mark, and Jim,(Tikitastic, and Tai won on) and the staff at Trader Vics, and Dinah's hotel for a great event, and to Tikiyaki and all the vendors for making it such a fun tiki filled nite.

nd Thanks again to Jason Wickedly and Danielle for lettin me ride up with them, and crash in their room.

Jeff(btd)

S

Jeff - it was great to see you. Let me know when you think you'll be up again! I'll make those cocktails for you!

Jim et al of Tikiyaki - Congrats. It kicked complete ass. You rocked (as usual) and it was a treat to see the band here in NorCal. Great to see all of you, too!

JP and Marie - Thanks for the Don's mug and for hanging out. It's been WAY too long. We need to get together more often.

Tiki Underground - Thanks for making it happen, boys!

Palo Alto Trader Vic's - What can I say? Yeah, baby! Thanks for taking spectacular care of us, and for that comped room... Dinah's Garden Hotel is stunning and very comfortable. I really enjoyed myself. Many, many mahalos for your hospitality.

Mai Tai and Coco Loco - I just love you guys. Thanks for making this weekend.

Hope to get pics posted tomorrow!

Suzanne

JB

Glued to my hand all evening...(and well into the morning), the saddest casualty of the evening made it through thick and thin, chaos and creation, all night long...across the parking lot...and right through the doorway of room 105...when he very unceremoniously fell from my hand.

Tikiyaki and I partially buried him this morning in a lovely bamboo grove at Dinah's.

He lived a fast and furious life. Then sacrificed himself to make your Tikiyaki mug just a little bit more valuable. There are at most 49 in the world now.

This shot has got to be a new fave for me. Falin gettin his groove on, Suzanne and Mike and Lady in Blue.

Brother Bong, it was good talkin' to him after 6 years.

The Circle Jerks uh huh, Coyle's tryin to keep BTD's drink from spillin on my cam

My booth, my hard working wife, very tired.

A few of my friends, you know who they are.

Megan, The Mysterious Kim, and Tastic Fantastic

Mieko Denise BTD Hanford

Notch caught in the headlights, I don't know who that mysterious gentleman is behind him must be new

A

Great show, and nice to see everybody! Here's some of our pics...

I think the tiki has an eye on the captain's drink.

Inflight commentary from Captain Marty Lush.

Break time.

Jonpaul refuels midair.

What other airline has the captain personally deliver lost luggage?

Thanks to the Tikiyaki Orchestra for winging up north. Let's do it again!

-Randy

CJ

them there are some great photos!

Look at Maestro Jim go!
Talk about a bongo beat down!
Great snaps!

ML

I just wanted to take a sober moment (and I have so few these days) to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to everyone in the Bay Area!! Not only did we have one of the biggest blasts playing any show we've done so far, but the hospitality that was extended to us was overwhelming!! You guys made us feel like we were home. And best of all, thanks for the booze!

Also, Aquarj; your photos are friggin amazing!!!!!!!!! You actually made me look good!

Cap'n Lush

Vic, you didn't follow the no photos rule! That dance is a patented Jimmy Smith style dance called the "B3 Burner" aka "The Soles On My Creepers Are Coming Off So Dance With The Hands". Don't try it at home.
Mahalo to Tikiyaki, Trader Vic's and the Tiki Underground for putting on a great shindig. Good seeing old friends, meeting new ones, and those who I may have pissed off, well...
Mahalo to all who bought something at our booth, though all the money we made we gave back to the other artists. All in the family.
Norcal parties hard!

T

....and NorCal kicked ours right back !

I know it always sounds like an oscar speech, but I have to take this time to express gratitude for the people who made this show a smashing success and a good ole'time.

Mark Holt aka Tikitastic, Jim, aka Tai Won On and the Tiki Underground for booking, promoting, and organizing the whole thing.

The owner of Dinah's / Trader Vics (a very nice lady whose name escapes me right now) , Radim, and the entire staff of Trader Vics for bending over backwards for us, and keeping those drinks flowing all night.

Bill aka Mai Tai and Marie aka Coco Loco for working the door.

John Corbid aka dibroc for providing the luggage for the door prizes, and for always being there to help out. You rock brutha !

All the Vendors for bringing the "TIKI" to the event, and those who donated door prizes.

Kevn Bullat aka BONG who subbed for Gary Brandin on Steel guitar. You learned these songs like your life depended on it and did a fantastic job - Mahalo Braddah !

Peggy Williams for buying us drinks at the Cove ! (more on that visit in another thread)

Anyway, it was great to see some familiar faces and meet lots of new folks as well....I had a really great time, and hope we can do it again really soon. You Nor-Cal people are awesome ! WHOO !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-02-01 13:31 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Feb 1, 2010 11:25 AM

Jim & Tikiyaki -

So great to read that everything was a success, but no surprise really since you guys really are So.Cal's pied pipers of tiki-pop.

Sorry I couldn't go...I couldn't get the time-off of work to make the drive up north to see everyone :(

And whoa! Bong on steel guitar? Cool.

Who was on drums? Dave? I see the pics and the drummer is obscured or not shown at all...drummers always get the short end of the deal!

Wow...I too had my ass kicked in NorCal (with a big assist from TV's Navy Grogs and Mai Tais). To quote Jim Bacchi "If there was a lampshade in the room, I'd have been wearing it". You guys were amazing...the Tiki Underground did a hell of a job. I'd post my pictures..but they are a blurry mess. (They looked fine Saturday night!) Thanks BTD Jeff for riding along and DJing the road trip (no it was NOT all surf music for 7 hours!). Definitely worth the drive up...and the ride back was just long enough that I was recovered by the time we got home! I really hope we can get some kind of weekender going at Dinah's if they are up for it..I'm in for So Cal support team, flyer distribution, whatever! Thanks again guys.

Congratulations boys for Rockin the North!

you may wanna rethink having BONG in the band,tho....
he's a loose cannon!
:)

The show was amazing at Trader Vic's in Palo Alto & the Hospitality was even more amazing! Thank you Nor Cal Tikis for making us South Cal cats feel welcome :)

I can not wait till we hit another Tiki Party!

Vic,

the lady in Blue is Marie, Bar manger of Don the Beachcomber,here in So. Cal.
and the Girlfriend of Jonpaul(bass player of Tikiyaki).

good to see you again man, been too long.

Randy, you and your Wifes pics are always great.
thanks
I forgot my Camera in so cal

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-02-01 17:01 ]

...and while we are still spreading the love...HUGSHUGSHUGS to Mark/Tikitastic & Jim/TaiWonOn...you are such great organizers and know how to bring da fun to NorCal!!! We are blessed to have you on board!!!

Jason...I don't think you were pacing yourself. :)

Tiki Phial's

The Tikiyaki Orchestra was way too much fun but I need to see them again because I only have cloudy memories of seeing the beginning of the show this time.

When I got there I went to the Sacramento Wahinis hospitality room and enjoyed some muchcies and Pomegranate rum Rickey's. Thanks Ladies for a having that as an appetizer for what turned out to be a fun way to start off the night.

I need to apologize to those who I may have offended or clobbered with my new war club. Like most I enjoy gettin my buzz on but I got sloppy at the end there. It's a rarity these days but it still happens once every couple years. I had way too much to drink. I missed out on 3/4 of the band and the room parties. Sucks to be me. Next time I'll pace myself.

Only today I found what can only be described as a self inflicted war wound in the form of a bruise on my collar bone from my new war club that I don't remember buying.

I have only myself to blame and want to hear from the people who took care of me or know who did. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember who took care of me and got me to my buddy's car in one piece. Being he doesn't know any one he's not sure either.

Any way here's a few pix of my new tiki swag.

Three mugs and I only wanted the Kapulapu one but just add booze and I become a shopaholic.

Then came the required Tikiyaki swag bag with CD.

Now that I'm feeling no pain I bought another aloha shirt and left mine there somewhere in TVs. Thank you to whoever turned it in to the lost and found.

and the purchase that I didn't remember. I really hope that I didn't clobber anyone with it.

TWO

Savage, check your PM's.

J

Wow.
What a weekend!
Where do I even begin?!
With the proper thanks, of course!!

Major Mahalos to....

Tikitastic, Tai Won On, the staff at Trader Vic's and the entire Tiki Underground for putting this thing on
and working so hard to make the event all it could be.
My band mates, whose relentless dedication, vision and passion continue to drive and inspire me every day.
All the SoCal Ohana that made the crazy drive up against all odds...bigtikidude, Joe Banks (sorry about your
mug, brutha!), Jason Wickedly and Danielle, dibroc, FilthyMidget, and tobunga & Manuel.

The incredibly warm, enthusiastic and hospitable NorCal Oahana (if I left you out, please forgive me)...
Tikitastic again (you are a gentleman and a scholar!), Molokai Mike and Denise, martiki, Notch, KuKu, Coco Loco &
Mai Tai, retrodiva, Hanford, Otto & babydoe, suzanne, Humuhumu, mieko, mp, Unga Bunga, Jungle Trader, VampiressRN,
Kahaka & Tanya, Brenda's Tiki Hut, Tiki Kaimuki,Tacky Tiki, Savage Tiki, leleliz, and everyone!

And, most importantly of all....from the bottom of my heart, my deepest appreciation and love go out to my beautiful
Marie--my partner-in-crime, whose tireless and unconditional support and love keep me going and make me look
forward to every waking day!

Can't wait for the next one!!!!!
OK, so who's in for the Kon Tiki???????
Only a couple of months until April 10!

[ Edited by: JONPAUL 2010-02-02 17:39 ]

[ Edited by: JONPAUL 2010-02-02 18:00 ]

[ Edited by: JONPAUL 2010-02-02 23:07 ]

S

JP, you're posting!!! On TC!!! hahahahaha!!

Good to see you man, can't wait til you kids are in NorCal again!

Hugs,
Suzanne

I'm surprised JP is even conscious, let alone able to post.
that guy and Marie, had quite an extended weekend.

Glad you made it home in 1 piece man,
how'z yer liver?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

T

On 2010-02-01 22:03, Savage Tiki wrote:
and the purchase that I didn't remember. I really hope that I didn't clobber anyone with it.

Hey Eric, I DO remember getting clobbered by a war club that night, but it was Notch who did the clobberin'! And it didn't affect my state of mind any way... it was as if I had four Mai Tais instead of three... and after two, it doesn't matter anyway!

And way to go TIKIYAKI!!! What an incredible evening! The orchestra was awesome as always, and it was great seeing all the Nor Cal Ohana! Plus, there was a good showing of So Cal Ohana too! And the vendors had such incredible stuff! And the venue was AMAZING! Our first time at the Palo Alto TV... So many tikis!!! WOW! Can't wait to do it again!

We had an awesome time at the Lei-over! Can't wait til this becomes a weekender! Great to see everyone again...gotta do this more often!

I still can't believe what a great show Tikyaki puts on....can't wait for a new album (hint) but how do you top the Jungle Jetsetter album and all the marketing tie-ins (which I absolutely love!!!) You guys are awesome musicians. And I stayed (relatively) sober to watch the show-wanted to remember my first Tikiyaki Orchestra show! Still can't believe how amazing it was!

Eric-I can't believe your mugs all survived the trip. I was sure you would either lose them or break them! But it looked like you were having a great time!

SO.....when's the next Tikiyaki party in NorCal!!???!!

:drink:
Tacky

T

Check out my latest youtubes. More to come over the next few days.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gottiki#p/a/u/0/yWmjfEyHVT4

Mary

YEAH...jus throw n a mai tai &.dat be my favrit song. :)

Thanks Tiki Mary ....lovin it.

M

Was he using a thin piece of sheet metal to create that eerie wah wah sound at the beginning? Thats pretty rad!

M

On 2010-02-01 22:03, Savage Tiki wrote:

Now that I'm feeling no pain I bought another aloha shirt and left mine there somewhere in TVs. Thank you to whoever turned it in to the lost and found.

yep, you were a bit 3 sheets... hahaha I was the one that helped you pick out that new shirt. Looked good on ya. Glad I wasn't around when you got the war club. YIKES.

That was a super fun night, glad I hauled my coconuts down. Thanks to all those that worked hard to make it happen!

T

Got one more up this weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAOoJtGSVEQ

Thanks Mary,
nice vid, and good to see this thread again.
Good times indeed.

Jeff(btd)

Great video...thanks...now I want a mai tai. :)

Pages: 1 37 replies