Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

I made a tiki out of Cheetos! 02.04.10, 3rd St. Promenade Santa Monica! Video link posted!

Pages: 1 39 replies

T

** THIS JUST IN... **

Here's the link to the video for this event!
http://info.break.com/static/live/v1/pages/sponsors/cheetlism/cheetlism.html

Aloha everybody!

In what may be the final step of Tiki De-evolution, I created a tiki out of Cheetos.
Break.com is producing a promo spot for Cheetos, featuring artwork created from the nuclear-orange snacks. My neighbor works for Break, and suggested me as one of the four artists involved. I proposed a tiki made from Cheetos, and they liked the idea!

The creation of the tiki was taped a couple days ago, and all the artwork goes on display at an outdoor art event (also part of the promo spot) today at 1pm on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. It will be set up in front of Footlocker, at 1300 Third Street Promenade (between Santa Monica Blvd & Arizona).

I know it's horribly last minute, but that's, apparently, how I roll.

Here's the tiki near completion. it's 32" high and 14" wide, made from a paste of Cheetos, water, and paper... yummy!

I'll try to post more pix soon!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-02-05 08:44 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-04-07 12:53 ]

R

that is too cool!

how long did that take to create?

I will REALLY try to make it down today! :D

M
Murph posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 10:03 AM

Way cool!

Ok that explains the Cheetos at the Rumpus Room last night and your orange complexion.

What color are your fingers?
:)

C

That is just SO cool!!!!!

I'll bet your fingers are still Cheeto-colored! lol

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 10:15 AM

Jeje... :) Me gusta!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 10:22 AM

Don't let BigTikiDude near it or he will eat the head off of it before the judging begins. He's done it before.

CJ

This is awesome! Reminds me of having a orange penis when I was young

L

Oh its the combination of two of my favorite things..Eric October art and processed cheese snacks!

Awesome Eric!

Awesome, you do the coolest stuff. You already create tons of tiki art out of nontraditional materials, but this takes the cake!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 11:21 AM

Tiki-DEVOlution?!!? uhm, okay - this IS pure tiki-pop expression.

Leave it to Eric to pioneer THIS poly-pop genre :wink:

Bloody genius this is...can a Velveeta tiki be very far behind? Spam moai?

(and yeah! Murph was right - this explains the bag of Cheetos at the Rumpus Room last night)

I can't be in Santa Monica in person today but I'm there in spirit. Cheers!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-02-04 11:40 ]

T

An instant classic! I can't imagine your sorting process to find all those symmetrical Cheetoes for the border.

What happens if it rains today?!

TT

Sorry we couldn't make it today Eric. It's good to see a larger photo of that tasty looking tiki.

ericoctober, YOU ROCK!!!

Coco Joe, that's what happens if you read Playboy and eat Cheetos at the same time

T

Mahalo Everybody for your kind words of support!

ravenne: It took five very messy hours to crush the Cheetos into a paste with water and shredded paper, and then sculpt the tiki out of the resulting goo!
Murph: Yes, the mystery of the Rumpus Room Cheetos solved... and I guess my orange complexion too, but that just might be my natural pallor!
Kinny and Caroline: My fingers were a very sticky orange, and the goo totally stained my fingernails. I clipped my nails when I got home, and later Manuel found an orange nail clipping in the bathroom sink... freaky!
Zeta: Glad you like! Er... are there Cheetos in Spain?
GROG: Well, fortunately, this tiki is less edible than Kirby's Rice Krispy moai, unless anyone wants the extra roughage of the shredded paper!
Coco Joe: Uh-oh... don't want to think about what you were doing in yer youth to have orange nether-regions!
leleliz: Can I dare to hope my artwork edges out processed cheese snacks as one of your favorites, even just by a teeny bit?
Tiki Shaker: Mahalo! This takes something, I'm not sure it's "the cake"... although that does give me an idea for Twinkies tikis...
TikiG: Oh yeah, I guess it is Poly, and definitely Pop... not sure I'm pioneering anything, though!
Tobor64: The puffy Cheetos turned out to be eerily very similar in size and shape, so that was one of the easy parts!
Sabu The Coconut Boy: Fortunately, it didn't rain, but I think the plan was grab the art and head for cover if it did! The Cheetos dress would have dissolved into something much more revealing!
TongaTom: Thanks for your kind use of the adjective "tasty" to describe the tiki... up close, it did not look too yummy, especially as it dried out!
MadDogMike: Thanks fer clarifying what Coco Joe was up to in his youth!

Here's pix of the event today:

Here's the set up for the show:

A Cheetos dress, constructed and modeled by the lovely Maria (this piece was quite a big hit!):

A Cheetos spider and web (the spider was very cool!):

A screen print on a ground of ground Cheetos (it looked like orange velvet!).

One last shot of my Cheetos tiki... it looks gigantic in this pic!

I'll post a link to the promo clip when it's up on line!

Mahalo fer lookin'!
Yer pal,
Eric October

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-02-04 17:52 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-02-04 18:57 ]

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:10 PM

That's hilariously cool. My students would tear that tiki to shreds in minutes! Awesome job!

AWESOME!!!

L

Eric my love of your artwork outweighs my love of processed cheese ten fold!

glad it didnt rain :wink:

Very orange...very funny...very crunchy...now I'll always think TIKI when I eat cheetos.

WooHoooo! Eric that is Tiki-rrific! I am going to use the pic for show & tell with the kids at school tomorrow. They are going to love it :)

Just as I suspected Eric...you can make a Tiki out of ANYTHING! Nice job!

I LOVE it! Pure genius!

Hey, tobunga...

Super-Creative! Well Done!
Here. You've earned this........

...Gwan! Just one last Cheeto for old time's sake, eh? :D

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 1:40 PM

FREAKIN' RIGHT ON!!

BK

Only in California! :lol:
Eric, your creativity never ceases to amaze me! That is very cool.

H

Fun, fun, fun.

Bravo!

T

Wow! I agree, you can make a tiki out of anything. What's next, oatmeal, grits... Spam?

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 10:31 PM

Yes, there is chetos in Spain and in Mexico.
I am a Libra too. :)

Nice job as always Eric.You are at my old stomping grounds when I lived in SM.

crazy! only you could pull this off eric! your creativity is endless. hopefully you'll drum up some good business from this!

T

KAHAKA & WooHooWahine: Great! get the kids into tikis through their love of Cheetos!
Bamboo Ben: Mahalo! Only wish I could construct stuff out of bamboo with a fraction of your talent! All I got is Cheetos!
leleliz: Yay! I win over processed cheese!
VampiressRN: Maybe I've gotten other not-tikiphiles to think of tikis and Cheetos too!
Jason Wickedly: I can make a tiki out of anything, except, apparently, wood!
BettyBleu: Yes, I suppose its a genius of wacky, cheesy proportions! Or an Illness... haven't figured out that one yet...
Bambú Yoo-hoo: I haven't sworn off of Cheetos, as long as they're not mashed up into a goo!
Babalu: Mahalo... hey, how about a tiki mug made out of Cheetos? Would a glazed Cheeto survive the kiln?
Big Kahuna: Correction: Only in LA! Perhaps SF, too...
hiltiki: Fun, and gooey, gooey, gooey!
abstractiki: Mahalo! I was thinking of making a minature Stockton Islander out of Cheetos and original Islander bamboo... what do you think?
Zeta: Are they called Cheetos in Spain and Mexico? The promo spot producer is from New Zealand, and he never heard of them before producing this spot!
1961surf: Funny, I never get to Santa Monica much... the traffic out that way is deadly... I call it the 405 divide!
Polynesiac: Mahalo! Yes, Hoping to get both me and tiki out there to the masses, via Cheetos! (Or Cheetos Snacks, as we learned to call them on the shoot!)

Mahalo fer lookin'!
Yer pal,
Eric October!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 9:01 PM

On 2010-02-07 18:14, tobunga wrote:
Babalu: Mahalo... hey, how about a tiki mug made out of Cheetos? Would a glazed Cheeto survive the kiln?

:lol: Actually, Cheetos are extremely flammable...they burn kind of like if you were to rub Vaseline on a cotton ball - POOF! - flame on!

Try putting a match to a Cheeto and see what happens...kind of a stinky burn though...a good bar room trick...

How fun Eric! You never cease to amaze!

T

** THIS JUST IN... **

Here's the link to the video for this event!
http://info.break.com/static/live/v1/pages/sponsors/cheetlism/cheetlism.html

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-04-08 20:48 ]

TT

The link isn't working. :(

T

Link fixed!

Mahalo!

CA

nothing but awesome!

TT

Super cool!!! ...and "Flamin' Hot" (Cheetos that is).

Pages: 1 39 replies