Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Fifty to go...

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 9:59 PM

Why should I keep posting after I reach the #1000 psychological barrier?
Why not just stay in the shade and lurk? while drinking a Mai Tai "Take all you can, give nothing back" pirate style.
Who wants me to keep posting ?
What are the benefits of the #1000 posts club?
Do I get a Diploma?
Aloha amigos...

T

I say ride off into the sunset once you reach 1000 posts. Go out on top.

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 10:32 PM

JAJA I KNOW!
Kaputnik

Bla Bla Bla.

1000 schlamalion.

Forget the post numbers, Just keep giving us the Tiki from the Latin world.

DC

J

On 2010-02-06 21:59, Zeta wrote:

"Take all you can, give nothing back" pirate style.

Who wants me to keep posting ?

Zeta, do you really want to be a pirate?

I don't think so.....

Brother, I want you to keep posting. More Jungle-style please.

(I sometimes question whether I should stop posting but it is kind of addictive. I keep getting inspired !!)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-07 11:35 ]

Excellent
Keep posting please!
Trader Bob

Keep posting if you like but try to refrain from needy, space wasting, "Look at me!" posts like this one.

To answer your questions

1. There are no benefits to reaching 1000 posts

2)And you do not get a diploma

If these are mitigating factors into your enjoyment of this message board, then maybe it would be time to stop.

On 2010-02-06 23:20, Dustycajun wrote:
Forget the post numbers, Just keep giving us the Tiki from the Latin world.

Indeed, it is less about numbers than content, but also about mindless, heroic staying power, backbone, and endurance in the face of apparent indifference and self-perceived irrelevance ....a dogged conviction which will only prove itself valid with time -maybe. :)

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 6:01 PM

Dunno, I think I'm gonna quit... I have to ponder and meditate on it...

when i reached 2525 posts, i finally understood woofmutt.

UB

When I reached three and a half posts, it was understood that J$ was my soul mate.

T

How exactly is this post not in Bilge?

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 9:02 PM

Because it is of general interest to read some reasons why anyone should or shouldn't keep posting. It is also a message to the lurkers. And to provoke people like you. :wink:

I don't even understand the point of this thread but it looks like I'm one post closer to a thousand. Weeeeee...

I don't even understand the point of this thread but it looks like I'm one post closer to a thousand. Weeeeee...

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 9:08 PM

Hey, cut Zeta some slack here. He's our Spanish operative and has contributed some great content. Besides if you call "bullshit" on him you gotta call the same on the Bigbro. He's the one who started this countdown type of thread. :wink:

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 9:09 PM

Don't worry, you will understand it when you reach the #971 post.

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 9:17 PM

Hey JOHN-O, thanks for defending me! Je je, but actually I think Bigbro borrowed the idea of the countdown posting thread type from me:

From the "Over 1000 posts thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4858&forum=13&hilite=1000

On 2010-01-20 01:21, Zeta wrote:
I will write something important here when I make my #1000 "Pearls of wisdom" post.
Meanwhile, I promise not to post shallow comments like this one.

John-O, can you please explain to me what is "bullshit" about saying here: "7000 posts on TC - phew, that 's a piece of work." ?

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 9:58 PM

Jeez, it's just a saying. Notice I qualified it with the "" and added the smiley face. You gotta have a thick skin to survive here on TC (otherwise I would have bailed a long time ago). :wink:

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-07 22:04 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 10:08 PM

JA JA! It's a jungle out there!!!

I always thought TIKI was more "scary" than "aloha".
The aloha spirit is great, I really love it and believe in it, but "tiki spirit" is more aggressive. And I like it that way. Tiki is by definition, politically incorrect.

J

On 2010-02-07 22:08, Zeta wrote:

It's a jungle out there!!!

No kidding. I guess the Bigbro forgot I edited my thread's title to spotlight his big 7000. Where's the love? Sigh...

Thank you for pointing that out, Zeta, that is a common misunderstanding here. "Tiki" is edgy, while "Aloha Spirit" is sedating. Both is needed, but I would have never made two books about "Aloha Spirit". It doesn't have the intellectual bite and level of weirdness that inspires me.

W

"How exactly is this post not in Bilge?"* -TikiPug-

1. Because the inmates are running the asylum.

2. Because one of The Rules of the Internet is "There are no real rules about posting."

"Why should I keep posting after I reach the #1000 psychological barrier?" -Zeta-

The "barrier" is entirely your own creation so only you can answer that question. Maybe you'll get lucky and find the answer during a partially animated Disneyesque song and dance dream sequence.

:lol:

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 12:11 AM

On 2010-02-07 22:22, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2010-02-07 22:08, Zeta wrote:

It's a jungle out there!!!

No kidding. I guess the Bigbro forgot I edited my thread's title to spotlight his big 7000. Where's the love? Sigh...

And you did that only to shamelessly self promote yourself using poor Bigbro's fame to attract more visits to your thread!! :wink:

On 2010-02-07 20:33, Unga Bunga wrote:
When I reached three and a half posts, it was understood that J$ was my soul mate.

YOU COMPLETE ME!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 9:19 AM

It's the first time one of my topics is moved to bilge! I feel SO insulted! Now I will quit posting for sure!! (maybe)

OGR

Zeta, Are you tying to become the Brett Favre of TIKI? Oh, sorry you don't watch football. :)

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 10:07 AM

JA JA! because of the retirement and return? I actually like football, (just like almost any other sport) It's just that sometimes the money and hype is too much. I rather support my local team.

H

When U.S. citizens say football, we mean football. When everyone else in the world says football, what they really mean is soccer.

So which is it?

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 10:22 AM

In Mexico they call it "football americano"
In Spain they don't even have a name for it. The game just doesn't exists there.
and soccer it's called just "futbol"
So, I was referring to football meaning touchdowns and field goals and yards and Gatorade and all that.

Anyway... I am less than 20 to go now... should I stay or should I go?

On 2010-02-08 10:22, Zeta wrote:
In Spain they don't even have a name for it. The game just doesn't exists there.

but didn't the The Barcelona Dragons win World Bowl V in 1997?

Admit it Zeta you're from Paraguay! :o

J

Zeta, if 1000 posts is the magic number for you then here's an idea. Don't just voluntarily retire, get yourself kicked off. You've got nothing to lose so now is the time to unleash your inner Tiki demons. You've already reached a major milestone by getting your thread banished to Bilge.

Tiki Central just loves to "rubberneck" a good car accident. I've noticed that for some of the threads I've started, the hit count really spikes when there's major "drama" going on.

:lol:

Zeta...
After your 1000th post
lure all the TCers to a specific thread
and then.....
set off the bomb in your backpack!
That would be an explosive exit!
:)

W

Or just ignore the supposed power numbers hold over you and focus on trying to post useful content.

It's not hard to rack up numbers on here. But high numbers mean nothing. Some of the people with lowest numbers have posted the most useful/interesting content. Some of the people with high numbers have just cluttered up threads with "Me to! LOL!"

Having a topic moved to Bilge isn't an insult, it's supposedly an attempt to keep forums focused. Now why other completely personal threads such as yours weren't also moved to Bilge at the same time is something to ponder.

But it's best to just not take anything personal around here.

Your carefully crafted posts will get lost because there was a poodle named "Tiki" on an episode of Mad Men or Trader Vic's is now selling Mai Tai scented sun tan oil.

Your excellent insight on a topic will get bowled over by someone else's bad pun and picture of a baby wearing a diaper made of waffles.

Your jokes will be taken as fact and piss off someone who has nothing better to do with his/her life than looking for ways complete strangers can make him/her angry.

Your amazing art work crafted with much skill and time and expense will be ignored and get eclipsed by a new $125 Made In China cast resin Disneyland Enchanted Tiki Room goo-gaw in a limited edition of 75,000.

And on top of that the rainbows stopped shooting out of Tiki Central's ass a long time ago and no one here is friendly anymore, everyone is mean all the time...And some other hysterical nonsense I can't recall.

This place is pretty much what you make of it.

I made a nice doily which hides a water stain on an end table I haven't gotten around to refinishing.

T

Finally moved to the trash where it belongs.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 11:34 AM

JAJAJA! TikiPug, please hate me some more!

W

Well, I see my words were a waste.

But I ain't takin it seriously.

I will, in a vain attempt, point towards the selected Rules of the Internet I posted.

Of particular interest at this moment:

Do not argue with trolls, it means that they win.

pockytiki 2: electric boogaloo

On 2010-02-08 11:24, woofmutt wrote:
Or just ignore the supposed power numbers hold over you and focus on trying to post useful content......

This was a fine 1605th post, woof. Informative, good content, and very wise. I hope I post such a fine post for my 2276th.

Congratulations are in order for woofmutt reaching the fabled 1605! I'll toast to your honor, Sir, at Don The Beachcomber tonight.

Or just ignore the supposed power numbers hold over you and focus on trying to post useful content.

It's not hard to rack up numbers on here. But high numbers mean nothing. Some of the people with lowest numbers have posted the most useful/interesting content. Some of the people with high numbers have just cluttered up threads with "Me to! LOL!"

He's right, I'm at 1700+ and only 23 of my post have any real content.

Zeta, I'm hope you're just kidding about quitting after 1000 :(

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 1:41 PM

On 2010-02-08 11:24, woofmutt wrote:

Having a topic moved to Bilge isn't an insult.

Hmm… I think we need to rename "Bilge". Isn't that sewage water?

Now why other completely personal threads such as yours weren't also moved to Bilge at the same time is something to ponder.

Yes I ponder that as well. Oh wait, I know why. :)

And on top of that the rainbows stopped shooting out of Tiki Central's ass a long time ago and no one here is friendly anymore, everyone is mean all the time...

Oh man, I'm always late to the party. :(

But it's best to just not take anything personal around here.....

This place is pretty much what you make of it......

Those are words to live by.

Thanks Woofmutt, I'd say that was one of the most insightful posts that I've seen here in a while. It's a shame it's here on Bilge. This should be required reading for the TC rank-and-file as well as newcomers. I'll going to bookmark this and pull it out of my back pocket at a future date. I just know it's going to come in handy.

Oh and those comments by TikiPug, my interpretation is that he (she?) was trying to be ironically funny. He just forgot to add the Smiley Face. Thank god for the Smiley Face, it'll get you out of a jam in a pinch.

See you at Don's tonight. I'll buy you a round. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-08 15:15 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 11:44 PM

Adios amigos... It was a pleasure to drink with you. Mahalo for the good times. I will be here "in spirit",just lurking around without posting. Or post again maybe in ten years... I mean it. Or just sign in as a different member... jeje
Aloha all!

VIVA TIKI !!!

...I never thought I would end in bilge :cry:

On 2010-02-08 23:44, Zeta wrote:

...I never thought I would end in bilge :cry:

Zeta - It's ending in Bilge only because you chose to end it there. Are you saying you don't have any control in the matter?

Playing the victim card as a last post seems a pretty lame way to go out. Go edit one of your old posts you're not so fond of and hit the "delete" key. That should bring your post total down to 999 again. Then go post a group shot of your Spanish mug collection in the Collecting forum. Just a suggestion.

Sabu

J

You can delete posts? As far as I can tell that option is not available.

That's was pretty weird about Zeta. He was posting like a madman for weeks and then all of a sudden he retires.

Go figure.

Adios Zeta !! I've enjoyed your contributions to TC.

V

I give him 2 days. He's too addicted.

Pages: 1 2 78 replies