Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Favorite Tikiyaki Song?

Pages: 1 27 replies

What is everyones favorite Tikiyaki Orchestra song?

I know they are all great!!!
Mine is Black Sand, Blue Sea. I'm learning to play guitar and trying to figure it out.

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2010-02-07 09:56 ]

I think it depends on the day. Or maybe the drink. Usually I'm most partial to "Crossing Kilauea" and "Waikiki Serenade".

TM

Hard to say. They are all really good!

T

Dare I chime in on this ? Jeez.... I'm really flattered that anyone would even start a thread like this.

OK, I'll take the bait.

My faves ? "Swingin' Sounds" ... Bachelor #1, because of the intro. The Capt Lush banter, and airplane taking off thing is priceless.

1st album...Sneaky Tiki...that steel solo by Gary Brandin is just amazing.

For live playing tho', Bali Hai-Ball is especially fun to play with all the solos, and Marty Lush's most excellent, Shatner meets Kerouac reading of "Detroit Rock City"....and of course, the bongo beatdowns are always a blast.

Me likes "Waikiki Serenade". It's like straight out of the Arty and Marty songbook.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/03881/facts.tiki_modern.htm

H

"Mai Tais on the Moon" from the first album.

"Singapore Swing" from the second.

Tough to pick, though - there are too many good ones to choose from!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 7:40 AM

Bachelor #1 - for the same reasons that Jim stated earlier. The atmosphere of that track encapsulates (for me) the Tikiyaki shtick - a defining musical statement from the Tikiyaki catalog fer sure.

I like them all, too. Depends on my mood at the moment when picking other "favorites."

JB

"Poho Moku"

M

I gotta say almost every time i hear the intro to Crossing Kilauea i get chicken skin! If i am out riding my bike and im starting to dog it, i put that on and i get a second wind. Its exoticas "Eye of the Tiger"!! without the cheese!

Second the motion on "Poho Moku." This would be a great closing number at any gig.

Damn, that is a tough one,
so many great songs,
and different vibes.

I have to say the only ones I am not crazy about are the Cheezy Organ songs.
but I have Told Jim, even those are done really well.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-02-09 21:55 ]

"Ocean Ambiance", at the end of StereoExotique. :lol:"

Just kidding...I'm gonna gave to say "Mai Tais on the Moon" as well...that was the song that got me hooked the first time I (or anyone) saw them two years ago at the Tiki Farm parking lot sale. On "Swingin' Sounds", I really like "Makaha" and "Bachelor #1"...I think I have Captain Lush's intro memorized word for word!

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2010-02-09 00:05 ]

T

where are my roller skates?

Jeff(btd)

W

Bachelor #1 for the same reasons.

favorite Tikiyaki song?

Smoke on the Water....hands down!

The Bachelor #1 intro always cracks me up but my fav is Singapore Swing

Tango Tahiti is the one I seem to replay the most.
So I will go with that for now.
Tikiyaki makes great eggrolls too!!!

J

On 2010-02-08 21:56, bigtikidude wrote:

I have to say the only ones I am not crazy about are the Cheezy Organ songs.....

Actually those "Cheezy" organ songs are what I really like about "Jungle Jetset" !!

The album is a great mix of different styles and the Lounge theme of the "Bachelor" #1, 2, and 3 frame them all up very nicely.

"Jungle Jetset" is the Tiki Revival spirit at its best !! Lately, I've been going back to this as much (if not more) than Les or Denny.

Here's my vote for favorite tune - "Bali Hai-ball". :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-15 12:17 ]

just to set the record strait.
I listen to the whole cd, and don't skip any songs.

There are songs by the big 3 that I don't like also.
but still listen to when playing the albums.

Jeff(btd)

T

Jeff....

Embrace the CHEEZE my brutha ! Embrace the Cheese !

I do, that's why I'm so fat.
oh you mean the songs.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Stereoexotique - 'Mai Tais on the Moon'. Great relaxin' song

Jungle Jetset - 'Mahaka'. Dig the surf guitar vibe

I wear my Tikiyaki t-shirt around town and everytime get at least one person in a conversation about your music. Thx Tikiyaki for putting out two great albums. When is #3?

Bachelor #1, Smoke On The Water...:wink: There all good...

That last cd is one that can be played over and over and still can't get enough...
especially after 3 or 4 mai tai's;)

.......waiting for ### 3 ....... now....... with mug.... or no mug......

Hey there are 2 guys claiming to be Beach Bums on this post, ones in Colorado and ones in Maui. Im having a hard time believing the one that lives in Maui. Its to expensive these days to be a beach bum, being a bum on Maui these days means your almost upper middle class, or am i thinking of Kapiolani Park/ Ala Moana beach on Oahu? Or am i just thinking aloud and typing this trying to make a non existant connection with beach bums?

Get it Beach Bum?? Or in this case bumless!

Wait this is a Tikiyaki thread, sorry bout the crusty pic!

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2010-02-19 17:38 ]

ugh!!
Crack kills.
:(

Jeff(btd)

T

Really tough call... but it's "Mai Tais on the Moon" for the StereoExotique album and "Bachelor #1" from Swingin' Sounds for the Jungle Jetset! for the exceptional Captain Lush prologue cited by others here.

T

From the first album, Koko Sufu... such a sweet, lilting, drifting melody... although Ali'i Fire Dance is great, 'cos it's a pretty rockin' tune...

Now, the second album is more tricky, so I'll go in their track listing order: Bachelor #1, Tabu For Two, Bali Hai-Ball and Poho Moku...

No, wait, Bali Hai-Ball is my favorite from that album, I play it the most! Plus, it has such a cool name!

But really, both albums are great, not a bad song among them!

So hard to pick just one favorite!

Pages: 1 27 replies