Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Homemade Coffee Liqueur: Advice Needed

Pages: 1 8 replies

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who scoured the seedy, back-alley sites of the internet :cough:drinksmixer:cough: to try and avoid the monopoly that Kahula has over us, but the result was terrible: bitter, burnt-tasting syrupy swill that, while potent and slightly acceptable in a white russian, does not please the palate the way a finely made liqueur ought to. Having less than a few fingers full, I said "No more!" I will make coffee liqueur with actual coffee!

What, oh great mixologists that frequent this forum, would you suggest I do to make a coffee liqueur that would but Kahula out of business if commercialized (though of course i'll drink it too fast to let that ever happen)? I'm currently thinking something involving these nice dark-roast columbian beans that I have, or possibly "Kona" coffee the local Marshals has.

Have you tried searching for Tia Maria?

It's a very popular alternative to Kahlua in the UK, in fact most people in the UK when asked to name a Coffee Liquor would give the answer "Tia Maria"

B
Brice posted on Wed, Feb 17, 2010 1:27 PM

If you use Kona coffee make sure it is with 100% Kona coffee. Several brands claim to be Kona and only use 10% Kona coffee beans and the rest is up to whomever to fill the rest of bag. I make mine with 100% Kona since it has a low acid content and tends to leave a nice finish. I like it as a sipper so it does real well in a blended drink. I know it costs more but it is one of those many things that you can tell where the money went to. Anyone can make a Mai Tai with Ron Rico but would you serve it to your guests?

Brice: Care to share your method/recipe for making coffee liqueur? It also occurs to me that vodka isn't the only thing that can be used to make an infusion; why not some rum (possibly spiced?). How do you do it?

if you can find it,
try the Trader Vics Kona Coffee Liqueur.

I'm not a coffee fan, but that is some nice, smooth stuff.

Jeff(btd)

B

I pulled this recipe off of Beachbums blog site. I find it a good base point, I have altered mine but it isn't for everyone so I'd start here and play with the levels to you get what it is you like. I agree you can buy a bottle of coffee liqueur, but there is something about having your personal blend that brings a sense of pride when you serve it and they ask who's is this and you smile...give'em a wink and say "mine"!

Chris’s coffee syrup: “Take 1 cup of medium-roast coffee beans, crack all the beans, then add 2 cups of brandy. The brandy sits with the coffee beans for three to four days in a jar. Then I strain the brandy.” Chris then makes a brown sugar syrup with 1 1/2 cups each water and brown sugar, and combines the syrup with the coffee-infused brandy.

G

On 2010-02-18 10:22, Brice wrote:
Chris’s coffee syrup: “Take 1 cup of medium-roast coffee beans, crack all the beans, then add 2 cups of brandy. The brandy sits with the coffee beans for three to four days in a jar. Then I strain the brandy.” Chris then makes a brown sugar syrup with 1 1/2 cups each water and brown sugar, and combines the syrup with the coffee-infused brandy.

Please allow me to quote myself:

On 2009-07-25 14:25, GatorRob wrote:
I have a bottle of the Vic's and the Portland Edgefield coffee liqueurs and I've made my own from scratch with roasted coffee beans. The homemade was the best and had the strongest overall coffee flavor. The Edgefield is my second favorite with a nice smooth coffee flavor and not too sweet. Perfect for mixing. The Vic's is good, but quite sweet so you may have to back down on the simple syrup in drinks. But the Vic's definitely wins the prettiest bottle contest!

The version that I made was the one from Jeff Berry's blog above. And I'll stand by my original review, but the Edgefield coffee liqueur has really grown on me.

RB

GatorRob, how did you end up with a bottle of Edgefield? I mean, it's easy for me to drive a few miles from my house to the distillery, but you're on the other side of the country! :)

Rum Balls - Don't tell anyone else this, but did you know you can now fly across country? It's true! :D

Pardon the sarcasm. The real answer is that we were in Portland and stayed at the McMenamins Kennedy School hotel, loved it and so drove over to tour the Edgefield, where they sell it in the gift shop.

Pages: 1 8 replies