Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Outdoor Tiki Bar in Planning Stage

Pages: 1 15 replies

I know I've been dormant on the crafting/carving front for some time now. I moved last summer into a "fixer upper" and ALL of my time has been dedicated to that task. I still have a LONG LONG way to go but decided to start planning my outdoor poolside hut. Here is the early stage of the scale model im building. This thread will be a slow build and I will update it as I make progress.

The scale of the lumber isnt accurate here.. Im thiking 4x6 posts and crossbeams. 4x8 or 4x10 top beam with 2x6 rafters.

This will be 12 feet wide and 10 feet deep. If the model is accurate then the top beam will be about 15 feet high at its peak.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2010-02-23 09:33 ]

You are gonna transform that space,Derek!
glad to see you finally starting this
in FULL FORCE!

B

Glad to see you jumping in on that WONDERFUL space you have there Derek :)

Building a quick scaled down model of what I wanted to build for my daughters wedding alter really helped me quite a lot prior to building to the real deal. Please post progress when you can. Your on the right path...Here's a pic from a past post of mine...

Babalu,

Thats an awesome model. Ive got some engineering issues to work through and thought the model would help. Ive got a lot more building to do on it.

One issue Im trying to address is how to support a double pitch roof. In this model Ive started the primary pitch but want to have a second smaller roofline jutting off the lower edge of the main roof. Im not sure how to support it. Its probably going to be about 24" deep with a 30% angle to it.

S

Don't put that steep pitch roof on top of a square box. Bring your roof beams to the ground and use good old strong triangles all the way. You won't need anything but a "stop" to keep the beams in place. Inside you then get some extra space low down on the wall for display or whatever, but most importantly, you get an open roof. No cross beams all the way up. And if you want to have some verticle space for hanging stuff, you can add interior walls for that.

Unfortunately the location I am building this hut wont work with the roofline going to the ground. Half of this hut will sit on posts (like a deck) and the other half will sit on the edge of a patio slab.

Im building the roofline ontop of a square box so that I have maximum space inside it.

I will be using some horizontal ties across the rafters to reduce outward force on the walls. I appreciate your insight Swanky.

a little progress tonight

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Feb 24, 2010 7:12 AM

Yay! Model builders!! I like this post :)

I love to see projects from concept (model) to finish. Definitely inspiring to those of us still in the planning stages too.

Can't wait for all of your upcoming progress photos. Thanks for posting so far.

L

On 2010-02-23 23:20, Monkeyman wrote:

How do you expect us to drink if we cant even fit in the building????

(Sorry I just watched Zoolander and hopefully you know the reference!)

the School for kids who cant read so good?

L

On 2010-02-24 08:30, Monkeyman wrote:
the School for kids who cant read so good?

YES! Monkeyman for the win!

TZ

Here's what I did:

That is SO cool!!!

Im still figuring out optimal engineering of the roofline...

thats a big space...

S

those are some great pics........any more out there?

You should videotape your construction process and put it in your TC documentary. :P

Buzzy Out!

TZ

Pages: 1 15 replies