Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

T

I do look forward to the cooler temps in the summer, big time.....it's mostly the wind that's a major deterrent from adding anything else out there...that, and there's no ceiling to hang stuff from :o

All good tho'...I still love the deck and plan to use it lots....now for the inside.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-06-25 07:18 ]

T

Nice work! Sorry to hear you had to ramp it back a bit, but even owning your own place is no guarantee that you can do whatever you want as I've discovered (HOA!) Love your Bosko pieces, I've got a lot of Bosko's handiwork around my pool. Bosko and Truus are fantastic to work with!

On those flickering tiki lights, I've got several around the pool and one of the batteries went dead in one of them. I pulled it apart to replace it and the original batteries are only 600 mah. I replaced them with 2500 mah batteries and now that torch burns brighter than the others and runs all night long versus 4 or 5 hours for the others. Sweet! I'm going to replace the batt's in the others as well.

i did that to. mine started burning out at about a year. I replaced them with the newer style and mine now light up alot of the fence in the yard. I left them out all last winter and they are still going strong.

T

My new bar.

Me and Kirby started working on this every Wednesday afternoon about 3 months ago. We drew inspiration from this Witco piece from Tiki Modern page 260, from the Hawaiian Inn in Florida, and classic Witco Wall hangings.

The subject matters of the carvings are personal...Bongos, a guitar, fish and waves (I'm a pisces) , as well as some modern/abstract forms and of course, tikis and tapa designs.

I love mid century modern, especially it's take on primitive form, so there ya go. We put spears on each side to give it that jungle feel.
We STILL may paint some of the carvings, like in the above photo, but for now it is what it is.

Kirby did most of the hard stuff, and provided the shelf unit that served as the frame. I was the torch guy, burning everything....A Tiki arson, if you will.

For the bar top, we tried painting it red (not my idea !) and it didn't look right, so, I had to strip the paint, which of course took off some of the top layer of the plywood, and then opted for burning and then applying several coats of amber shellac, a la Bamboo Ben. Due the paint stripping, the top has an uneven surface, which gives it a nice aged, nautical kind of feel....so it actually worked out ok.

The Color scheme goes perfect with my chairs

This was alot of fun, and I have to thank Kirby for doing this project with me and lending me his talent, tools, materials and workspace.
Now if I could just get him down here to have a drink from it :)

M
Murph posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 3:01 PM

It's awesome!
Looks like the bungees held. :wink:

BB

Really Really Nice!

I love it!

G

Terrific! The orange background really makes it pop. If you could somehow get that orange to light up in a dark bar...

T

Murph...Actually, they didn't and it started to fall on the feeway...I had to lay it down flat.

Gator - I'm going to put a ropelight under the top edge to help with making that orange pop in the dark.

L

Hey I am a Pisces too...I want that bar!

Kirby is the shiznit!

Really like the whole concept -- great stuff!

Very cool Jim. Love the personal touches, that and the fact that you made it with your own two hands gives it real meaning as well as good looks.

BK

That is frickin' awesome!

W

I love the top, very cool! Hell, I love the whole thing.

Chris

That bar is so mod! Please excuse me, but I'm gonna so steal that bar look. That's got it all!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 5:41 PM

Kirby did most of the hard stuff, and provided the shelf unit that served as the frame. I was the torch guy, burning everything....A Tiki arson, if you will.

I burned some stuff too!!

J
Jetson posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 6:00 PM

On 2010-10-01 11:47, tikiyaki wrote:
My new bar.

Me and Kirby started working on this every Wednesday afternoon about 3 months ago. We drew inspiration from this Witco piece from Tiki Modern page 260, from the Hawaiian Inn in Florida, and classic Witco Wall hangings.

Dude, that is wicked awesome!!! I wish I had one! I'm going to have to learn wood carving so I can make my own bar. But I am still envious of yours.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 6:04 PM

Very cool Jim, the bar turned out really really nice~

Thanks for sharing.

CJ

HOLY SHEEP SHIT!

WAY cool, and very FUN! Love it! Good job, guys. That bartop looks like lava!

Sswwwweeeeeett!! That is absolutely fabulous!!! I want one. So creative and so beautifully detailed.

T

Great work, guys! Looks awesome.

P

Awesome! I love everything about your bar and your lounge! I definetly have to find some of those solar tikis!

J

Jim:

Outstanding! I would steal the design, but I would never pull it off. Way to go!

Great job on the bar...the color and energy is awesome. Can't wait to see the dining room transformation!!!

On 2010-10-01 17:41, kirby wrote:

I burned some stuff too!!

I watched, drank lots of Diet Coke & listened to Kirby & Jim go back and forth on ideas for like 3 damn months :) it was fun, and wow it turned out so cool. Good job guys it looks awesome in your space Jim. The photos don't capture all the dimensions it's amazing.

That bar is pretty amazing, Jim!

BT

That is just krazy nice man! Thanks for the pic's..

MR

That thing turned out so nice. Great work.

Pages: 1 2 74 replies