Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
location : South Redondo Beach - just .9 miles due NE of the Tiki Apartments (Torrance), and .7 miles from the ocean
description : Outdoor patio and lanai.

OK, I'm starting work on my outdoor Tiki Bar/Lounge. Being that I'm renting, I can't really do anything structurally, so I have to be creative with how I attach things, and am limited somewhat, so I'm open to suggestions for that kind of stuff.

I live in a pretty darn cool mid century modern style duplex, upstairs, and have an awesome wrap around 5 ft wide deck. with a 17'x8' patio area off the master bedroom. Like many of the duplexes and fourplexes in Redondo, the deck overlooks the garage...alot of places here have a deck over the entire garage which is amazing. Here, I have a small 30" high wall, which makes a good ledge for sitting, and I can put plants out on the garage behind the wall, to save patio space. We get an awesome ocean breeze up there all day and night as well.
So it should make for great summer nights. Also there is electric AND a water spout, so, it's good to go on utilities.

I don't have an ocean view, it faces east, but at night the lights from the houses on the opposing hill make for nice scenic backdrop. So, being that it's upstairs, it's a "Sky lounge"
Also, when the ocean is crashing hard, you can hear the waves at night, and you can smell the ocean too, on some days.

The plan is to get a bbq, some comfortable loungers, table to eat at, and have my small Bamboo Ben bar out there, and tiki the place up.

So, here is the starting point.

The stairway up and entrance going up to the sky lounge

Lanai area in front of house.

Main Patio/lounge area

View from the sky lounge

First piece of decor - Swap Meet find...A Split barrel with shelf space. The back is flat. (thanx Doctor Z for helping me get this to my truck ! )

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-02-23 11:53 ]

Look forward to seeing your progress Jim.

Looks like there's good potential in the space. Can't wait to see the night shots!

With a place like that, (where you have limited space) it almost seems like it would be a good idea to build what you need. Like maybe build benches out of 2x4's trimmed with bamboo and have it wrap around the building. That way it an maximize seating and not take up too much space. Find some outdoor cushions to lay on top. You could sit on it, rest drinks on it like a table.. and also set tikis on it. It'll look custom plus they will be easily removable if you move. You could also hang wall mount items like tiki masks from the eaves... it will look like they are attached to the building. If you are worried about the things swinging around in the wind, just attach wire/rope/etc to the bottom of the objects and then attach the other end of the rope to the benches. (does that make sense?) I'm saying all of this because I was considering doing something similar (on a much smaller scale) where I live.

T

On 2010-02-23 13:09, Tiki Shaker wrote:
With a place like that, (where you have limited space) it almost seems like it would be a good idea to build what you need. Like maybe build benches out of 2x4's trimmed with bamboo and have it wrap around the building. That way it an maximize seating and not take up too much space. Find some outdoor cushions to lay on top. You could sit on it, rest drinks on it like a table.. and also set tikis on it. It'll look custom plus they will be easily removable if you move. You could also hang wall mount items like tiki masks from the eaves... it will look like they are attached to the building. If you are worried about the things swinging around in the wind, just attach wire/rope/etc to the bottom of the objects and then attach the other end of the rope to the benches. (does that make sense?) I'm saying all of this because I was considering doing something similar (on a much smaller scale) where I live.

Thanx Tiki Shaker...I DID buy a few bamboo benches...those simple ones that are cheap. I have, in the past, built very 60's modern looking benches from 2x4's and 2x2's, but didn't feel like building that much stuff this time....who, knows, I may still do this at some point.

I plan to hang stuff from the eaves too, but I'm hesitant to attach anything to the house directly...my landlord is an 86 yr old woman who lives 2 houses away, so I have to be mindful of that. I DID, have that gate built at the top of the stairs so my dogs can hang out on the lanai and not escape as they like to do), but it bolts right onto the existing fence.

Right now, the first step is painting the gate (it's drying as we speak, and then attach flat, split bamboo fencing to all of the chain link fencing, and trim it out with split bamboo rounds, torch them a bit and maybe clear coat them for weather durability.

That's phase one.

The other thing I'm debating is whether or not to put my awesome vintage Preway fireplace out there...I'm hesitant because of the more damp climate here down by the beach. In Burbank, I had it outside and no problem, but I don't want to ruin it, and get it all rusty. Also, I'v e never burned anything in there, but the previous owner had it outside and did.
Right now, it's in the bedroom.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Feb 23, 2010 1:50 PM

Nice space Jim, mega potential for a little oasis in the sky.

If you ever need anything - help, a painting, some materials - whatever I can do - just give me a shout will ya?

Great potential. I love your description of the sound of the waves in the distance and the smell of the sea air...that is enough to prompt a cocktail from the BB bar. :wink:

i concour!!! great space there caint wait to see it dun up!! cheerz!!

Cool building, Jim! LOVE that gravel roof. As much as it would look incredible out there, I personally would not put your gorgeous fireplace outside. We live very near the ocean too, and have for the last several years (in our apartment before our house). I had so many items deteriorate due to the damp salt air, and no amount of protective measures seemed to keep them from harm. It would be such a shame to have that happen to your fireplace. Plus, it looks uber-swanky inside, and you can always get creative with other options for fire on the patio. Maybe one of those affordable, dish-type pits, but with some sort of lava rock surround? It's hard to tell from the pics if you have enough clearance over the main patio to do something like that or not, but clearly the fence is perfect for affixing tiki-torches to!

Excited to see it take shape.....

T

On 2010-02-23 20:15, Tiki Kitty wrote:
Cool building, Jim! LOVE that gravel roof. As much as it would look incredible out there, I personally would not put your gorgeous fireplace outside. We live very near the ocean too, and have for the last several years (in our apartment before our house). I had so many items deteriorate due to the damp salt air, and no amount of protective measures seemed to keep them from harm. It would be such a shame to have that happen to your fireplace. Plus, it looks uber-swanky inside, and you can always get creative with other options for fire on the patio. Maybe one of those affordable, dish-type pits, but with some sort of lava rock surround? It's hard to tell from the pics if you have enough clearance over the main patio to do something like that or not, but clearly the fence is perfect for affixing tiki-torches to!

Excited to see it take shape.....

Thanx for confirming what I was afraid of...Yea I think I'll keep it inside...it has an electric log with spinning tinsel inside it now, and looks great. I have nothing above me on the patio, so maybe a small chiminea might work. Thanx for the tip.

Yea, how about that tar and gravel roof....you can't see it from the pics, but the place has a really cool MCM design. I wish they'd painted the whole building dark brown like the garage...that pastel yellow is sooo lame. I'll post some pics of the insed of the house soon too...it's cool inside too.

T

OK....got started today.

Phase 1, get some bamboo fencing up to cover the chain link stuff.

First, had to paint the gate....
eventually this will be covered in carved wood, pecky cedar or maybe bamboo, and will adorn some sort of cool tiki mask.

Next, cut the fencing to size....this was tricky. The guy told me to wrap the roll in shipping cellophane wrap to keep it together.
I didn't do it tight enough, and ended up with some splitting....not too bad, but annoying enough to get it right next time...

Next...start attaching it to the fence...
I used basic hardware store twine....worked pretty well...again, a bit tricky at first until I got the hang of how to do it the right way.

....then, cut off the extra ends

add the bambo benches into the picture...

I'm not sure where they'll end up, but for now, there they are....

Barrel view....

Anyway, not bad for a days work....Shoot, I know Ben would have had this place halfway to Forbidden Island in the time I did this, but, I'm an amateur hack.

Next, I'll be trimming the fencing out with split bamboo rounds, and more.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-02-23 21:09 ]

T

Hey Jim!

looks like you're off to a great start!

Like TIkiG said, just give a shout if you need somebody to pitch in a hand, I'm ready, willing and able!

Maybe even a weekend afternoon of tikifying transformation... I'm sure your legion of Tikiyaki fans would jump at the chance to help out such a worthy cause! (just promise them lots of Jungle Jetsetter Cocktails as their reward for a hard day's work!)

Thanx guys, I may take you up on that !

S

What an improvement already. A little bit of plant life and a few tikis and it it'll be time to christen it with a Mai Tai.

Jim i would like to volunteer to be the guy yelling on the bull horn "hurry up gang we need to work faster" "Move that bus" and more idiotic statements at decibels unessasary. But i do have one tip/ suggestion. The one key element that im sure your going to incorporate are tiki torches, and i think a cool way to do it on your lanai is by getting some deep buckets (or i used those aluminum trash cans that have sports teams on them then wrapped tapa around the can) fill them with sand and you can stick the torches in them which makes them stable and portable at the same time. You can slide the bucket/can across the deck and create a new layout each night. But the tiki torches are super essential to any night time ambiance. Look forward to watching it come together!

On 2010-02-23 22:15, tobunga wrote:
Hey Jim!

looks like you're off to a great start!

Like TIkiG said, just give a shout if you need somebody to pitch in a hand, I'm ready, willing and able!

Maybe even a weekend afternoon of tikifying transformation... I'm sure your legion of Tikiyaki fans would jump at the chance to help out such a worthy cause! (just promise them lots of Jungle Jetsetter Cocktails as their reward for a hard day's work!)

Count me in!

T

Todays project was to build a nice gate to cover the chain link one.

As per my other post http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35676&forum=20&11...I was looking for Pecky cedar....and, well...it's IMPOSSIBLE to find in SoCal....and I do mean IMPOSSIBLE. I really wanted to do something other than the typical split bamboo rounds for a gate. I wanted to make the entry really special.

I sent out a few emails to some Tiki folks I know, and Luckily, Bosko came to the rescue. He happened to have some sitting around...it had been sitting there a few years...so it was pretty aged. So he said, come down and take if you want.
Perfect, considering I was planning on getting a bunch of his stuff for decor.

So, here was the wood in it's original state...

Then, after some torching and sanding.....I burned the stuff up pretty good, but was advised to be careful due to the dryness and fragile condition of the wood.

Then, add the Bosko molding, and a coat of spray on clear urethane to help protect if from the elements. Hopefully with the condition of the wood, it will hold up. I still have to countersink the nails, but that's for another day.

Attaching it was tricky...I had to secure it from the back with some 1"x2" s ...carefully, as not to crack the wood. So, it basically squeezed into place with the chain link between the 1x2's and the back of the pecky.

No worries about the unsightly, backside, a little bit of the split bamboo fencing to match the other stuff, and we're all good.

So, the pecky was pretty old, and dried out, and busted up too, with lots of cracks, but that turned out to be a good thing. It gave it a "wreck bar" type feel, and Bosko's carved moldings were a perfect compliment. I wasn't originally going for the super aged look, but I went with what I had, which turned out to be pretty cool, I think.
I came back with a 5 ft Moai Mask, the molding, and a few classic other classic Bosko masks....A good day indeed. Big mahalos to him for saving the day on this one

I have a cool looking driftwood-y piece of cedar that I will probably make into a sign to hang on the gate, OR maybe put a tiki on there...I haven't decided yet.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-03-01 21:48 ]

Lookin Good Teri!!!

T

Thanx ben...high praise coming from you...

BTW, My new mantra when working out there is "Teri, Just Do it !"

Thanx for giving me my Tiki Mantra !

so is yer name Teri or Jim dammit. I'm confused.
Oh wait, I think I jus got it, Teriyaki,....yuck yuck

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2010-03-02 21:21 ]

T

Only Ben and Crazy Al get to call me teriyaki !

Looking Good Jim,
a English friend of Mine, and Jonpaul's calls the band Teriyaki too.
and he calls the Music,
Tweety Bird Music.

ha ha ha.

Jeff(btd)

More progress....

Added some furniture, more bamboo fencing, fish net, super cool Bamboo Ben driftwood masks (a la Eli Hedley), made from REAL Huntington beach driftwood , and those new solar tiki torches with LED flicker bulbs....these things are great...they go on automatically when it gets dark, and last 8 hours. They look pretty darn realistic, like there's a candle burning in there.

Sorry, iPhone photos.

West Corner....perfect spot for lounging.

Bamboo Ben driftwood mask

Front Gate

Back of gate.

That's all for now...more to come.

This all looks great. I gotta get myself some of those flickering solar torches. I haven't even seen them around.

I love the way the gate came out! Looks like it's all coming together.

Teri,

Looks cool man! Went beachcombing recently and only acquired odd wood. But,

should look good. Back to the tree hut next week. Maybe driftwood masks for

the garage sale.

Moohalo!

On 2010-03-18 12:23, TeeKeeMan wrote:
This all looks great. I gotta get myself some of those flickering solar torches. I haven't even seen them around.

Check at your local home and garden shop, mine came from lowe's. Got 8 of 'em. realy lights up the back yard :)

gate turned out great along with the rest!!

[ Edited by: ka'lenatiki 2010-03-21 09:24 ]

Love the wood very kool .

Dayum...that is looking good. Great vision and implementation on the gate.

Every time I see a big billboard advertising the Carl's Junior Teriyaki Burger...I read it as Tikiyaki Burger. :wink:

T

On 2010-03-21 11:23, VampiressRN wrote:
Every time I see a big billboard advertising the Carl's Junior Teriyaki Burger...I read it as Tikiyaki Burger. :wink:

...As you should ! :P

NIce job Jim! that gate turned out looking real good. Maybe put a mask or something in the middle of it?

Your balcony/porch is looking really good. You know how to make it "authentic"

I'm with everyone else, if you need a hand with anything - don't hesitate to give a shout. I'm just around PV from you!

Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

PS - that barrel shelf is AWESOME

Thanx Jim !
High praise coming from you and all. I have a few different masks for the gate, and I'm going to make a sign for it too.
I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I spent today mounting a 5 ft Bosko Moai mask to a base so it could stand up. I guess tikifying your place is a project by project basis.....ie: dont try to so too much in one day. It's teaching me patience. I AM trying to keep it authentic and "vintage" looking....like it's been there a long time.

Yea...you're close by, I think you need to stop by. I can always use some help especially in the "how-to" dept.

Dr Z was over today, and has been giving me some good ideas.

Let me know what a good day is for you.

T

Another small project finished.

A sign for the gate. I couldn't decide whether to put KAPU (hawaiian for "forbidden" - basically "stay the f*ck out!") or ALOHA on the gate, so as per Bosko's suggestion, do one on each side, depending on my mood, I can flip it around. Why didn't I think of that ?

Kirby helped me with the "KAPU" side, then after I got schooled, did the the Aloha side on my own. Sign making is fun !
Here ya go.

T

Gotta comment on the awesome Preway. That style is the most common Preway, and as far as I know the only really funky Preway, but it's most common in red, and slightly less so in pale orange. White, yellow, turquoise and your green are rarer colors, I have seen only one of each ever.

If you're concerned about weather, and I would be if you're near the ocean, you could put it on rollers. Tilt it flat on its back on some towels to protect the porcelain finish, and cut a board to fit the same size and shape as the bottom. Screw pieces of angle bracket to the underside so they stick up around the sides, holding the base in place when set on top, and attach some very small swivel wheels to the bottom. Then just wheel it inside when you're not using it.

If you DO want to burn in it, here's what ya gotta do. First, make sure it has a floor inside that isn't just metal. If all it has is metal, contact Malm Fireplaces, the only remaining manufacturer of these things, and buy a few bags of their refractory, a concrete-like firebrick powder you'll mix up, then pour in to form a firebox floor. If yours has no well in the floor below the front lip, it may be okay without the refractory...but the stuff should be used if you can, as it'll protect the metal floor from warping. The standard Preway model is similar in format to Malm's current Zircon model, and you might measure it (end-to-end and front-to-back) to tell them so they can guess at how much refractory you'll need. Once you've got a refractory floor, then go to the hardware store and grab a grate. Never burn right on the refractory. You'll also want a chimney cap with a screen, so sparks don't fly out.

Love your patio so far. Lookin' good. You can probably buy plastic hooks used to string Christmas lights along a gutter, and hang stuff from the gutter that way. You also might be able to get stick-on hooks so you can decorate the walls.

Wow...torch guy, so much info. Glad to know that my Preway is such a rare color. The amount of work to use it makes me just wanna keep it inside with it's current electric, decorative log in there. Funny, I DID consider putting on a rolling platform for using it outside , then bringing it in.

re: hooks Do you think the stick on hooks would hold to that rough stucco-like stuff ?

Someone told me about the rain gutter hooks....looks like I need to invest in some.

Thanx for all the info !

T

Lookin' good, Jim! This keeps getting better & better with each new update.

T

Each time I check this thread something new - handmade - has been posted. Jim, your project is manifesting one step at a time so its cool to watch this come together with each log on. Thanks again for sharing with us :)

T

So, I've been whittling away at this.
Had the wall of the house covered with plywood with burlap over it and fishnet. A Bosko mask and tiki torches coming out from the wall, but my landlord told me to take it down, because it was "too much....It stuck out alot and you could see it from 4 or 5 houses away....I think the bosko mask freaked her out.

Here's what I had to remove....

So, I had to start in a different direction....

I decided to get a bunch of plants and start to make the area look more tropical, and hopefully get a green screen developing up there.
I'll have to keep the tikis and polypop decor more concealed from the street. The plants look great tho'.
I think once I get the wall of the house screened out by tropicals, I'll be able to sneak some stuff back in there.
I'll probably get some patio lights and get some lighting going on there for now.

Oh, the joy of renting.

So anyway, I got a few giant Bird of Paradise plants, some golden bamboo, and some other palm type plants, and I'm working more on the "Jungle" part of the "jungle Jetsetter sky lounge" for the moment. I'll post some pics soon, as things get a little more developed.

Bummer Jim!

I can't believe you have to tear that down, it looks great. Look forward to seeing the next incarnation.

DC

T

OK, a few pics of recent updates to the sky lounge. Starting to "jungle-ize" it with tropical plants, and of course, more tikis....

A few Giant Birds of Paradise, golden goddess bamboo, and some other palm type plants.
The giant Bosko has a red rope light in the box covered with black lava rocks, for a glowing hot lava effect at night. I'll post pics of that eventually.

add a lil' here and a lil' there so your landlady doesn't freak... catch my drift?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
http://www.myspace.com/bambooben

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2010-04-13 20:36 ]

Lookin' sweet! Too bad the landlady doesn't get it, but like Ben said- just bring it to a boil real slow...

T

Yea...that's the plan, stan. I need to sreen it out from the street with more and taller plants....this way no one can see what's goin on up there from the street.

Shoulda' done that first.

Ben, I'll be needing an outdoor-worthy bar with palapa roof too sometime soon !

Jim, It's coming along beautifully! Soon it will be a private place of relaxation and chillation. Didn't you end up with a large carved Witco or Bosko fountain a while back?

Golden Goddess bamboo! Awesome!

Update :

Due to the crazy winds here in South Redondo, and my landlord not really "getting" the tiki thing, I've decided to relocate the Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge inside to my dining room area. It's a good size...about 120-130 sq ft, with a high, vaulted ceiling.

The outdoor lounge will remain as is, with whatever plants I can keep alive, and whatever tikis I still want to keep outside. We'll still bbq and chill out on the deck, but the wind and chilly weather make it not ideal for investing that much work into.

Anyway, I'll post some pics when I have more done.

too hot in the valley

too cold at the beach.

no worries. all good.

the water here is 70.

I wish I lived there, I love the chilly wind in the summer

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 74 replies