Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

My Tiki PatiOasis

Pages: 1 28 replies

Started work on my own home bar after looking at all the great bars presented by other TCers. I'm no handyman, but it is cool to try and figure this stuff out on my own.

It started when I hung blinds to ward off the neighbor's spotlight.

The skin is up.

White pine tops fitted and cut.

Tops carved and burned prior to staining.

Tops stained and mounted. The plaque was done by an engraver on my route for free. Cha-Ching!

Small carving done by Cocoa Beach carver, Mai Tiki.

Some lights and masks added to the thatch facing.

Still have a lot of work to do. White aluminum posts need to be covered, wood screws and staples hidden, and worst of all, an all white aluminum ceiling. I'll keep the updates coming as soon as there is some money back in the budget.

[ Edited by: Mahalo Mark 2010-03-17 18:56 ]

Off to a good start! Looks like you have a lot of potential to work with. I know what you mean about the $$$- that, and the prospect of having to earn it somehow are about the only things that keep me from noodling away at my escape for about 25 hours a day... Downtime is design time though. Good luck and have fun with it!

S

very nice, it's going to look great.

Very nice start. I feel your pain in regards to the $$$. Much of my stuff for my bar (Tiki Nui)came from garage sales and thrift stores. I love your wood trim work. Did you do your own with a router>? How did you do the Moai? Very nice touch. Keep us posted.

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2010-03-17 22:14 ]

Looks great so far. Keep the pic's comming!!!

ah, patioasis. i hadda couple of green beers with him at a tiki bar the other night. anyways, i dig how you did the planks. it gives me some good ideas. mahalo for posting.

I love the rope light on the half wall. This is going to be a really cozy space.

Darilyn

Looking good. Nice to see another home tiki bar being erected in Orlando. You can't go wrong with one of Wayne Coombs' Mai Tikis when you live around here. Keep the photos coming.
KG

Mahalos to all who have viewed and posted such positive replies. The planks were all done with a router. The moais were routed out in outline and then I chiseled beneath the nose and eyebrows to give it a little relief. I've got some netting to cover the white roof and I'll be working on a hanging light. I'll post more pics as I go along.

Mark

Mark, good meeting you last night. The PatiOasis is looking great. I love the matting and bamboo details on the half wall, and nice scale (not to mention a steady hand) on the router work. I'll have to come up and bask in its ambiance when it's all completed.

Aloha Mark, fantastic job on the planks! They look great. Keep up the great work.

T

That's a great start & some fine router work!

That's looking great already. Nice touch with the planks and the matting.

Finally, a new addition to the PatiOasis. I copied this fold out bar from the Tiki Modern Book of Witco. I think it was on page 292; a fold-out wall mounted tiki liquor cabinet. But, I had to use the existing light hole in the wall, so I attached a beam and hanging light to mine with an A-frame roof.

Wake me up when the day is late, so I can watch the sunset and go back to bed.

[ Edited by: Mahalo Mark 2010-05-02 17:50 ]

Okay, finally a new update. The ceiling has been a nightmare, but I could leave it the white aluminum, so I dug my heels in tried three different ways of doing it. Third time was a charm.

First some supplies.

Here's the first unsightly nighmare that had to be taken apart.

The second attempt never got far along enough to get a picture.
Here's the third time. Hang the wire by itself.

Use a zip tie to attach bamboo to wire.

Hide zip-ties with the lashing on the cross-beams.

Then add reed fencing for fake tiki hut ceiling.

Project complete? Not yet, you gotta have a cheesy sign made in China that tells you it's a Tiki Bar.

W

Nice!! Love the ceiling and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Chris

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 3:05 PM

Zip Ties are the coolest invention!

Nice job on the ceiling.

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2010 9:53 AM

looks KILLER! great ceiling solution!

Started an indoor mugshelf to fill in the open "window" going from the kitchen to the dining room. Soon there will be a bar going in where the dining area would be. I guess I'll have to eat out from here on out with no dining room and all, but I digress, and post pics as well.

Open window with framing up.

Tongued and grooved.

Partially stained.

Added wooden dowels along the front and back to prevent the accidental death of a precious mug.

That's it for now. I'll add more pics of the placed mugs after it completely dries and gets a coat of polyurethane.
Mahalos for taking a peek.
Mark

B
Bau posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2010 9:22 AM

great start , the roof and the fold dwon shelf are great ideas, can't wait to see this when its done!

What a great way to hide the ceiling! Very nice.

Nice ingenuity throughout - not to mention actually knowing how to pull it off technically. The ceiling treatment is inspired and looks great. Lots of swell ideas here for great-looking tiki renovation/innovation on a budget. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Been away for some time now, but I've started building an indoor addition to the PatiOasis known as the Taboo Tiki Temple. Here's a few pics of the build so far.

First placement of the base.

Decided to make it a round corner instead of angled. Those metal post anchors weren't doing the job, so they had to go.

Studs going up.

Bar top bracers.

Carved posts for footrests.

Skin notched out for footrests.

Routered piece for bartop front to hide the bracers.

A little under lighting.

Rafters going up.

That's it for now. I've got a ton of work left to do and only 5 more days of vacation to do it. Mahalo.

G

Looks great Mark.
I like the addition of the foot rests - hadn't thought of that.
Did you carve the edging of the bar or did you buy it like that?

Looking good...wish I had those talents and skills!!! Keep up the great work.

M

This is gonna be off the hook! And right in my back yard! Well done sir.

It's been quite a long time since I've posted any pics, but there was a long time without any work on the bar, (thanks to my daughter's new braces), so here is an update.

Light rope in the rafters.

Foot rests around base of bar. I forget what kind of wood it is, Mongolian something or another.

Bamboo under the rafters.

Reed fencing for the roof, lit up from within.

Light coming down through the bamboo ceiling.

Bought a float. Had a hole cut in it. Weaved the net myself. Now a new lamp!

Stage getting framed.

Decking going on stage.

That's all I have for now. I need to get a few pics of the bar top and some of the finished and stained stage.

Mahalo.

Just a little note, the outside bar is called the PatiOasis. The indoor bar/lounge is dubbed The Taboo Tiki Temple.

I missed the past few installments Mark, sweet! So many cool things like the footrest and the shelves between the bar and the kitchen. Makes it easier to wash and put away the mugs when you're done with them :D

Pages: 1 28 replies