Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does Anyone Have the Recipe for Mai-Kai's Cobra Kiss or K.O. Cooler?

Pages: 1 32 replies

B
BH posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 4:41 PM

I believe these two drinks are very similar with the K.O. Cooler being a stronger version of the Cobra Kiss, similar to how the Mara-Amu is a lighter version of the Barrel O' Rum. I have been experimenting recently and made my starting point the Cobra's Fang recipe from the Donn Beach recipe book by his wife. A previous thread touched on that drink recipe here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10677&forum=10&hilite=fang

I think I am very close and have been happy with my results, but I thought I would ask the rest of the community if anyone has ever given these drinks a shot at home. And also, I am curious as to what other people who have been to the Mai-Kai think of these drinks. Thanks!

This is as close as I have been able to get to the Cobra Kiss.... still missing a bit of something:

1/8 oz Pernod
1/4 oz passion syrup
1/2 oz lime
1 oz OJ
1 oz Goslings151
Angostura Bitters

Cobra's Kiss is not high on my list so I haven't put as much effort into this drink. Maybe this will get you close enough to take it to the finish line.

B
BH posted on Sun, Mar 21, 2010 3:54 PM

Thanks, Chip and Andy. We're on the same track. I'm still tweaking, but here's where I stand:

1oz Lime Juice
1oz Orange Juice
.50oz Passion Fruit Syrup
.50oz Falernum
.25oz Grenadine
1oz Cruzan Gold
1oz Lemon Heart 151
Dash of Pernod
1 Cup Crushed Ice

The flavor is close, but I can't seem to replicate the dryness of the Mai-Kai version. My further tweaking will involve comparing Fee Brothers falernum with John D. Taylor. I'm also going to try Appleton V/X instead of Cruzan Gold. And finally, I will try bringing the passion fruit syrup down to .25oz in an effort to achieve the dryness of Mai-Kai's version.

BH, the Appleton V/X is definitely right on the mark but not the Lemon Hart. The Mai-Kai stopped using Demerara rum some time ago. Your overall flavor profile is in the ballpark but it's missing some nuances (not to mention the correct color) of the original, which I've had the pleasure of tasting many times.

Geez, I hate being the guy who always poo-poos all attempts to re-create Mai-Kai drinks (see http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=22455&forum=10&start=15), but somebody's gotta do it.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2010-07-27 15:53 ]

B
BH posted on Tue, Jul 27, 2010 4:15 PM

Wow, I thought this post had been left for dead! Thanks for the input, although I certainly remember the last Cobra's Kiss that I had (2009) being dark red, which is exactly the same color that my recipe generates. And if Mai-Kai has stopped using Demerara rum, what are they using in the 151 Swizzle? That tasted a lot like Lemon Hart to me. I'm just interested b/c Lemon Hart can be tough to source and it would great to find a suitable backup. FWIW, I find that Appleton V/X works perfectly in just about every good tiki recipe that I find. It is definitely my go-to rum for mixing.

I'm still off the mark for the KO Cooler..... again this may be close enough for someone to take across the finish line:

1/4 honey
1/4 151
1/4 passion
1/2 lime
1/2 soda
1 OJ
1 Gold Rum
1 Dark Rum
Dashes each of Grenadine, Pernod, Pimento.

Shake like hell, pour unstrained and garnish with mint.

On 2010-07-27 16:15, BH wrote:
Wow, I thought this post had been left for dead! Thanks for the input, although I certainly remember the last Cobra's Kiss that I had (2009) being dark red, which is exactly the same color that my recipe generates. And if Mai-Kai has stopped using Demerara rum, what are they using in the 151 Swizzle? That tasted a lot like Lemon Hart to me. I'm just interested b/c Lemon Hart can be tough to source and it would great to find a suitable backup. FWIW, I find that Appleton V/X works perfectly in just about every good tiki recipe that I find. It is definitely my go-to rum for mixing.

BH,

Mai-Kai threads never die, they just get better with age (like the restaurant) ;>)

I'm unsure how you're getting a dark red drink with just a quarter-ounce of grenadine. I used the Sonoma brand and the result was a medium orange. What passion fruit syrup are you using? Most that I know of are orange (I use Finest Call and Auntie Lilikoi).

I spoke with Jeff Berry at this year's Hukilau and he bemoaned the fact that Demerara was no longer used at the Mai-Kai (he said the drinks were even better when they did, if that's possible). He says they use lots of Bacardi products, I'm afraid, but they seem to make the best of it. Perhaps that's Bacardi Anejo or maybe Gosling in the Cobra Kiss.

I can't say I've noticed a Demerara taste in the 151 Swizzle but now I've got to try that on my next visit, along with the two drinks discussed in this thread. All in the name of research, of course.

On 2010-07-27 21:35, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Jeff Berry ... says they use lots of Bacardi products

Don't confuse Bacardi 'Products' with Bacardi 'Rum.'

The Rums are subject of much debate as to good or bad or other.

The Bacardi stable of products, however, is quite impressive and you probably have many of these on your bar right now! Bacardi Corp includes Martini & Rossi vermouth, Dewar's scotch, Bombay Sapphire, Cazadores tequila, Grey Goose, 42 Below vodka, Drambuie, Disaronno, B&B and Bénédictine.

Bacardi also controls 7 Tiki Rum, which is a staple rum at the Mai Kai, and is probably responsible for the 'mysterious ingredient X' that seems so elusive in so many of the drinks.

S

Make a QB Cooler and add a drop or three of cinnamon syrup...

After much research, we've posted reviews of both the K.O. Cooler and Cobra Kiss in our Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/07/19/mai-kai-cocktail-review-what-could-be-cooler-than-a-mai-tai-history-lesson/

We came close to creating a Cobra Kiss by taking Donn Beach's Cobra's Fang recipe and adjusting it slightly:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/20/mai-kai-cocktail-review-cobra-kiss-is-an-exotic-taste-explosion-guaranteed-to-strike-your-fancy/

Okole maluna!

PD

So far, BH seems to have the best baseline for this drink.

Having had the Cobra's Kiss many, many times, it was always one of those drinks that immediately stood out to me. Here's the closest approximation I have thus far:

Cobra's Kiss

1 oz Gold rum
1 oz 151-proof rum
1/2 oz Lime juice
1.5 oz Orange juice (w pulp; if you notice the Mai-Kai version is always 'bitty')
1/2 oz Passionfruit/Lilikoi syrup (I use the oft-mentioned 50/50 method - that is, 50% simple syrup (1:1 ratio) mixed with 50% Maguary passion fruit concentrate)
1/2 oz Falernum (John D. Taylor's)
1/4 oz Fassionola (since there's so much disparity on the subject, I use the generally acceptable 50/50 method - that is, 50% Rose's Grenadine mixed with 50% Smucker's Raspberry syrup)
Dash of Bitters

VERDICT: while still somewhat lucid and lacking a slightly 'heavier' body, this is the closest I have found to the authentic drink. It is still missing that Je ne sais quoi. Swanky was bold to suggest a 'few drops of cinnamon syrup,' which might be a nod to the fact that the Cobra's Kiss is always served with a cinnamon stick garnish. Who knows.

NOTE: my spec on the gold rum is El Dorado, with Gosling's 151-proof rum used for the dark. Lemon Hart 151 is (at present) out of the picture. I have found El Dorado's 'garden variety' white, gold, and dark lineup (all 80 proof) to be not only a more superior and consistent go-to rum choice, but also one of the cheapest/practical options available on the market today, from a multitude of outlets across many states.

Mahalo!
Pico

[ Edited by: P. Duarte 2015-10-19 20:08 ]

T

Go with Chips answer.
He seems to have an edge when it comes to Mai Kai cocktails.

T

"Where is this so-called 'stolen' list of drinks and why hasn't anyone (anonymously) revealed or published it?"

To do this would be a pretty crappy thing to do to the Mai Kai
would it not?
If it were my place this is not what I would want a friend to do to my business.
Would you?
52 skido.

Z

i use a recipe that a paper in oregon published a few years ago i will see if i can find it online....

Is the K.O. Cooler still in question in this thread? I think Swanky's advice is spot-on, make the Q.B. Cooler and add a touch of cinnamon syrup. I may be incorrect, but I thought the Q.B. Cooler is what the K.O. Cooler is similar to (or is trying to emulate) but under a different name. The cinnamon syrup is a nice touch.

The Q.B. Cooler is a good drink if mixed with careful attention to the ingredient ratios, and I know Captain Obvious would remind me that's true of many of the things we enjoy mixing.

S

Here is the Cobra's Fang recipe I use, just for the record:

.5 lime
.5 OJ
.5 Passion Fruit Syrup (I use Auntie Lilikois')
.25 Falernum (Velvet Falernum)
1.5 Demerara 151
dash Angusturo bitters
2 heavy dashes of Herbsaint

Blend with crushed ice, pour into pilsner glass and swizzle vigorously with a cinnamon stick.

The PFS will make or break this one. And near the end it gets heavy with cinnamon from the stick.

Not sure how different the Mai-Kai KO is from the QB, but I defer to Jim Hayward on these matters. He's the expert on their cocktails. I've seen and own many of the Mai-Kai's recipes a la Mariano, but not these 2. I like my QB and this Cobra's Fang just fine.

"I've seen and own many of the Mai-Kai's recipes a la Mariano"

I have some of the Kahiki recipes too, and the Mai Kai one that was online.
And people have wanted me to give them to them but I said I would not
give them out so I did not.

Even had some people want me to let them print the very first Beach Bum Berry cocktail
book he put out himself so we could pass that out.
DAM I did not even know Berry and said no to that.

So here is the question...
The Kahiki recipes should not die and never be seen, and the Kahiki is closed.
To share these when a place is open and still using them is a dick move.
How long do I sit on them?
Some of these came with no vow of secrecy, and even the one that did I had already
from another source.
Got that one from three different people and they are all the same so I think it's right.

So what's right?

S

On 2015-10-24 20:53, P. Duarte wrote:

It might also be worth pointing out that there does seem to be some well-documented evidence that a certain Chip Kerr (of FOM notoriety) came into contact with the original Mai-Kai drink recipes and published them on a private intranet, whereby literally hundreds of members had access. You'd think the Cobra's Kiss would have been included on that published list and you'd also think that someone would have noted it down or spilled the beans as to what it actually was. Where is this so-called 'stolen' list of drinks and why hasn't anyone (anonymously) revealed or published it?

Mahalo!
Pico

On 2015-10-19 11:35, tikiskip wrote:

Even had some people want me to let them print the very first Beach Bum Berry cocktail

Some of these came with no vow of secrecy, and even the one that did I had already
from another source.
Got that one from three different people and they are all the same so I think it's right.

So what's right?

I have not shared my Mai-Kai recipes, but have given Jim a few hints in his research. I have been working directly with the Mai-Kai for many years and discussing the possibility of printing their recipes. I had considered putting recipes in my Mai-Kai book, but ultimately felt it would dilutee the focus. I have considered a cocktail book as my next offering, but would not publish the Mai-Kai's recipes without their express permission. With the recent events, they are far less interested in having them published than ever. There is no copyright on recipes and legally you can publish their recipes and in this case could even consider them to be Mariano's recipes (I am talking about the 1950s recipes I have, not the current recipes that were on the FOM website) rather than the Mai-Kai's, but they are ultimately the Mai-Kai's trade secrets. Putting them in the hands of their competitors could hurt them.

The Kahiki recipes were not in Jeff's book and they should be preserved. Find someone to get them in print in a good context. They shouldn't end with you.

Should the Mai-Kai ever cease to be there serving these recipes, my team is ready to put together a definitive tome to preserve all of Mariano and the Mai-Kai's legacy creations. Until then, they should have remained secrets. And there will always be one missing ingredient, the Mai-Kai.

Like Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure the book

[ Edited by: Swanky 2016-03-22 08:10 ]

*UPDATE: after my 5th Cobra's Kiss on Sunday night, I had fully committed to memory the taste, color and consistency of the drink.

Departing from BH's rendition, I took as my new baseline (upon much pressuring and cajoling) Mr. Hayward's 'Tribute' version from his Atomic Grog blog:

Tribute to the Mai-Kai Cobra's Kiss

3/4 Fresh lime juice
1 oz Orange juice
3/4 oz Falernum (Fee Brothers)
1/2 oz Fassionola (the oft-mentioned 50/50 method - that is, 50% grenadine and 50% Smucker's Red Raspberry syrup)
1 oz Gold Jamaican rum
1 oz Dark Jamaican rum (Kohala Bay)
1/4 oz Grenadine
2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
1/4 Teaspoon of Pernod

I admit that Mr. Hayward's version DID taste more authentic to me, however, the color was totally off and the result was slightly too 'intense' - somewhat too sweet. I still had the original taste fresh on my palate. The inclusion of the extra 1/4 oz of grenadine worried me greatly. It should also be pointed out that I performed the tasting in the 'actual' authentic Mai-Kai glass which they use to serve the Cobra's Kiss in. I really wanted to eliminate any distraction I might encounter while making this drink.

I don't agree with the inclusion of the extra 1/4 oz of grenadine; for the record, I used Rose's. However, having said that and having made the drink without the extra amount, it tasted even worse. So while I know it doesn't taste right with it in it, it also doesn't wash well when removed either. My conclusion is that it must be something else. The inclusion of the extra grenadine makes the drink far too sweet and red looking. If you notice, the original has that slight orange hue to it and has a subtle 'creeping' flavor.

I even tried BH's trick of using 1.5 oz of orange juice (within the framework of the 'Tribute' recipe, without the extra 1/4 oz of grenadine, but that too was off - it was not as full-bodied. The color, however, was perfect. In fact, I would say 99.9% spot on. So where we have color, we don't have taste. Where we have taste, we don't have the correct color. I typically use John D. Taylor's falernum, which many contest to being a superior product, however, in this case, the sugary, richer and 'tangy' tasting notes of the Fee Brothers variety, really does seem to work well in this drink.

NOTE: I am still divided as to whether or not the Mai-Kai Cobra's Kiss includes passionfruit syrup (PFS as Swanky calls it) as there is much evidence to support either way. It seems to me, color is the overriding factor here. Also, Swanky suggests using cinnamon syrup (Don's Spices #4) which I've yet to experiment with.

In summary, Mr. Hayward's 'Tribute' version is indeed the best baseline I've encountered thus far. However, I respectfully disagree with the inclusion of the extra 1/4 oz of grenadine.

[ Edited by: P. Duarte 2015-10-19 22:57 ]

On 2015-10-19 11:35, tikiskip wrote:

from another source.

So what's right?

If you've got the recipes from a classic Polynesian Palace that's no longer in operation, I'd say you almost NEED to publish them. If the restaurant is gone, those recipes are the only chance anyone who wasn't lucky enough to dine there has at tasting an important part of tiki history. As you say, those recipes should not be allowed to die.

T

Well I do agree with you.
BUT at least one of the people who gave me a recipe from the Kahiki
the one I already had would get really pissed, but then that is a normal state
for them soooo.

AND they or somebody is going to one day do a book of the Kahiki recipes or
open a tiki bar, Man if I only had a dime for every person that was going to do this
I would be rich!

With that said I only have a few of the recipes from the Kahiki and what some
say right after you say you have one is "that's from the Tsao days"
So who knows.

The very same people you talked of in your first post (now Changed) were at my house too
and could have snagged it from my cocktail book as well, Dam if they would rip off the
Mai Kai they would get mine too if they could.
I used to be too trusting and maybe still am.

Would bet that most if not all Mai Kai drink recipes are in some thread behind a cloud of mystery in some lodge and have been copied no less than 52 times.
Think of that, the Mai Kai guarded and kept those recipes a secret for some 55 plus years
and one bad judgment call of trusting the wrong person or persons, and bam they are posted on line for all to see.

In the end I will leave them for someone to find.
So if you see my little black and red recipe books on eBay should I die, buy them.
Buy the how to build tiki lights pamphlets as well they will have some good stuff as well.

On 2015-10-19 22:55, P. Duarte wrote:
So where we have color, we don't have taste. Where we have taste, we don't have the correct color. I typically use John D. Taylor's falernum, which many contest to being a superior product, however, in this case, the sugary, richer and 'tangy' tasting notes of the Fee Brothers variety, really does seem to work well in this drink.
[ Edited by: P. Duarte 2015-10-19 22:57 ]

May I suggest that duplicating taste is much more important than color? The Mai-Kai suppliers products may come with coloring in them. Unless we use the same supplier products, it would not be a surprise that our colors would differ. I applaud your having matched the flavor, even more so for using the same glassware to reduce distractions since we often choose glassware very carefully so that the drinker experiences the "nose" of a drink with garnishes.

You are correct, there is quite a bit of difference between the flavor profiles of the Fee Brothers and the Taylor's falernums. The two are not interchangeable without a noticeable impact in our cocktail recipes. We must choose falernum carefully. I do not consider either product superior, just different. Each has supporters here who are very successful with each. If you're interested, the question of which is more likely authentic for the mid-century "tiki" time period is discussed and debated in another thread here.

AceExplorer, thank you for that input on falernum. You offer a valid point! I will enjoy exploring this further in another thread.

With regards to taste and color, in principal I agree with you, however, in practice and in the context of 'tiki' drinks themselves, (which are oft-debated and highly detailed and excessively scrutinized creations), the correct taste SHOULD yield the correct color. There is a direct correlation between the two as they are both intrinsically synonymous with each other. Specific brand names, techniques, methods, and best practices in the 'tiki' milieu are some of the most hotly debated and contentious issues I've ever seen. Contrary to popular belief, there's not too much disparity between the mass products that the Mai-Kai uses (the so-called 'trade products') versus general consumer products. A simple visit to Costco, GFS or Restaurant Depot will open up a world of possibilities to you.

Pico

Thanks, Pico, for the kind reply! I'll keep that in mind. One thought came to me as I read your response --- I wonder if any of "our bars" intentionally color their ingredients to throw us off? Or to enhance presentation? That would not surprise me because it is certainly an option I would consider if I wanted to conceal or enhance one of my flagship creations.

PD

AceExplorer, that's actually a good point. Although highly unlikely.

First off, in a mass produced, high-volume environment, adding color to a drink just seems like another 'unnecessary' step - that is, unless the Mai-Kai 'batch up' a certain portion of a particular drink beforehand in order to save pour time; food coloring could be added in at that point. For example, many establishments have a 'Zombie mix' ready to go, rather than having to add those extra 4 persnickety ingredients to make the drink. Secondly, adding food coloring to a drink seems very anti-tiki and does not reflect the best practices and methods used in tiki's heyday. However, I may be wrong; this is just an assumption.

Does anyone else have an informed opinion on this? For example, is it known that the Mai-Kai batches up any (non-alcoholic) portions of their drinks? It would seem counterintuitive that if they did (for example, to throw bartenders off from really knowing what they are pouring), to actually add food coloring also. I have not heard or known of any tiki 'practices' whereby food coloring is routinely added to drinks.

S

On 2015-10-21 14:34, P. Duarte wrote:
AceExplorer, that's actually a good point. Although highly unlikely.

First off, in a mass produced, high-volume environment, adding color to a drink just seems like another 'unnecessary' step - that is, unless the Mai-Kai 'batch up' a certain portion of a particular drink beforehand in order to save pour time; food coloring could be added in at that point. For example, many establishments have a 'Zombie mix' ready to go, rather than having to add those extra 4 persnickety ingredients to make the drink. Secondly, adding food coloring to a drink seems very anti-tiki and does not reflect the best practices and methods used in tiki's heyday. However, I may be wrong; this is just an assumption.

Does anyone else have an informed opinion on this? For example, is it known that the Mai-Kai batches up any (non-alcoholic) portions of their drinks? It would seem counterintuitive that if they did (for example, to throw bartenders off from really knowing what they are pouring), to actually add food coloring also. I have not heard or known of any tiki 'practices' whereby food coloring is routinely added to drinks.

Food coloring, no. I doubt they are worried about anyone reverse engineering their drink in that way. They do on occasion make large batches of their most popular drinks. At Hukilau, they have a very rare occurrence of almost the entire dinner show of 250 coming into Molokai at the same time and ordering several rounds. And this happens for 2 or 3 dinner shows and after, etc. And they also make large batches for catering events. But at Hukilau they will mix a large batch of Rum Barrels for sure to keep up. They have over 10 years of records so they know what to expect and plan ahead to keep up.

They do have a lot of their syrups and juices sourced. With the changing availability of falernum over the decades, having it made, along with other items, locally, keeps their drinks consistent.

PD

Interesting. I wonder if (during regular business operations) any portions of their drinks are batched up to throw bartenders off from knowing what they are pouring, save for a label on the bottle. For example, with their more 'complex' cocktails, one bottle could be labelled 'Cobra's Kiss Mix,' and another labelled 'Black Magic Mix'. All the bartenders would have to do is add the alcohol and fresh juice components etc. That would serve two purposes - that is, to speed up service, and to keep their recipes secret. Somehow, I just can't imagine a bartender adding 8/9 ingredients to a drink every time someone orders one. For example, the other night I sank 5 straight Cobra's Kiss cocktails (and I drink fast) so that bartender must have been working like crazy!

Good thoughts and feedback, but to be very clear, I was referring to the color of the suppliers products when I wrote:

• "The Mai-Kai suppliers products may come with coloring in them. Unless we use the same supplier products, it would not be a surprise that our colors would differ."

At no time have I suspected any tiki bar or tiki bartender of adding food coloring -- it is an unnecessary and time-consuming step. I was referring only to the pre-manufactured things like Rose's grenadine for example which has an unnaturally dark red color. The colors of drinks at bars are not necessarily a true indicator of a drink's ingredients. Another example is that some rums are colored before bottling.

S

On 2015-10-22 06:48, P. Duarte wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if (during regular business operations) any portions of their drinks are batched up to throw bartenders off from knowing what they are pouring, save for a label on the bottle. For example, with their more 'complex' cocktails, one bottle could be labelled 'Cobra's Kiss Mix,' and another labelled 'Black Magic Mix'. All the bartenders would have to do is add the alcohol and fresh juice components etc. That would serve two purposes - that is, to speed up service, and to keep their recipes secret. Somehow, I just can't imagine a bartender adding 8/9 ingredients to a drink every time someone orders one. For example, the other night I sank 5 straight Cobra's Kiss cocktails (and I drink fast) so that bartender must have been working like crazy!

I've hung out in the bar during service. They mix fast. Nothing like I do it. And I'm not so sure about the secrecy any longer. Only the Mai-Kai is keeping that level. All other bars are mixing in front of you, but you don't know what's in those white bottles for sure.

Like Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure the book

[ Edited by: swanky 2015-10-23 13:49 ]

PD

Interesting. I am pretty sure they pre-batch some components of their more 'complex' drinks for reasons of secrecy. In fact, the Mai-Kai is the only 'tiki' bar that I know of that doesn't mix the drinks directly in front of you - all others do to my knowledge.

Swanky, just for the record, what is your baseline for the infamous Cobra's Kiss cocktail? (Not the 'Cobra's Fang' cocktail, that you have listed earlier in this thread).

[ Edited by: P. Duarte 2015-10-24 17:28 ]

Sorry guys, just catching up on this thread. Some interesting discussion.

I stand by my Cobra Kiss tribute, though I did debate that extra grenadine. It's there to balance out the fassionola, which tends to be overly sweet. You want to use a natural pomegranate grenadine that's not full of artificial sweeteners and other stuff (like Rose's). However, we don't know where The Mai-Kai gets its fassionola or grenadine, so we'll never really be able to duplicate the taste (or color) 100%. I've found Jonathan English and Fee Brothers come close, but I'm sure they use either a different brand or, more likely, something custom-made for them. All the other ingredients in the Cobra Kiss are easier to duplicate. Kohala Bay is a must, as is Fee Brothers falernum. The Mai-Kai makes their own falernum, but it's close in flavor to Fees.

Re the K.O. Cooler mentioned earlier, I posted a new tribute recipe for that one in July:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/07/19/mai-kai-cocktail-review-what-could-be-cooler-than-a-mai-tai-history-lesson/#tribute

FYI, I've been given bits and pieces of recipes by different people like Swanky and Beachbum Berry. And Mai-Kai manager Kern Mattei has been very cool about giving me hints and either confirming or denying different ingredients when I ask. Actually, he recently gave me some info that will result in a major update of many of my tribute recipes. It's a work in progress, but I hope to post all the updates soon. But the tribute recipes are still exactly that. There are so many factors that make drinks coming out of those bars unduplicatable, I just try to come close.

The issue of "sharing" recipes is a touchy subject, probably best addressed in a different thread. There are instances when it's OK and others when it's not. You have to look at it like any other kind of intellectual property, though I know that legally there are different standards. But the protocol is definitely changing now that most bars these days publish their recipes. I assume I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting Martin Cate's book.

Okole maluna!

PD

Hurricane, thanks for the illumination.

My dark and lonely nights at the Mai-Kai slipping down many a Cobra's Kiss cocktail (typically 5 or 6) in a bid to finally crack the code, has lead me to uncover two irrefutable facts:

1. The brand of rum used in the drink is Kohala Bay Jamaican dark rum which can be purchased at Sunset Corners Wines & Liquors in Miami for $29.99 a bottle (plastic 1.75L bottle only)

2. The brand of orange juice used in the drink is Kennesaw 100% Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice (with pulp) which can be purchased in Restaurant Depot and Whole Foods in a gallon container for $5.99

As my quest continues, I will try to source some higher quality grenadine (for example, Stirrings Authentic Pomegranate Grenadine) instead of using the de facto Rose's, but will continue to use Fee Brothers Falernum, which I believe really belongs in this drink.

All the limes I use are fresh Key Limes.

The baseline for Fassionola does indeed seem to be the oft-mentioned 50/50 method, however, this is a very contentious issue.

I truly believe that the key to cracking this drink lies in the infernal mix of Fassionola and Grenadine - the types, mixes, and quantities of which, may never be known.

If you are, as you say, planning on publishing an "update" version of your 'Tribute to the Mai-Kai Cobra's Kiss' recipe, then I shall wait for this to be published so I may establish a new baseline for the cocktail. In the meantime, I will continue to be burning the midnight oil...

On 2016-01-11 16:27, P. Duarte wrote:
Hurricane, thanks for the illumination.

My dark and lonely nights at the Mai-Kai slipping down many a Cobra's Kiss cocktail (typically 5 or 6) in a bid to finally crack the code, has lead me to uncover two irrefutable facts:

1. The brand of rum used in the drink is Kohala Bay Jamaican dark rum which can be purchased at Sunset Corners Wines & Liquors in Miami for $29.99 a bottle (plastic 1.75L bottle only)

2. The brand of orange juice used in the drink is Kennesaw 100% Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice (with pulp) which can be purchased in Restaurant Depot and Whole Foods in a gallon container for $5.99

As my quest continues, I will try to source some higher quality grenadine (for example, Stirrings Authentic Pomegranate Grenadine) instead of using the de facto Rose's, but will continue to use Fee Brothers Falernum, which I believe really belongs in this drink.

All the limes I use are fresh Key Limes.

The baseline for Fassionola does indeed seem to be the oft-mentioned 50/50 method, however, this is a very contentious issue.

I truly believe that the key to cracking this drink lies in the infernal mix of Fassionola and Grenadine - the types, mixes, and quantities of which, may never be known.

If you are, as you say, planning on publishing an "update" version of your 'Tribute to the Mai-Kai Cobra's Kiss' recipe, then I shall wait for this to be published so I may establish a new baseline for the cocktail. In the meantime, I will continue to be burning the midnight oil...

Very astute observations sir. I think you're either correct or very close on all accounts on the Cobra Kiss ingredients. The fassionola/grenadine question may very well never be answered. I do know that it's a proprietary blend, and the falernum is made in-house.

There are quite a few updates in the works, but the Cobra's Kiss is not among them. I'm pretty happy with that one as it stands. FYI, I've been using BG Reynolds grenadine, which seems to just as good if not better than Fee's.

Pages: 1 32 replies