Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Crackdowns on the Cocktail Revival

Pages: 1 11 replies

Article in Reason magazine, about bureaucratic backlash against artisanal cocktails and "homemade" ingredients:
Cocktails Cops Can't Resist
Bartenders revive classic cocktails. The law responds by reviving classic crackdowns.
by Katherine Mangu-Ward, April 2, 2010

I

That Reason link features a lengthy and informative interview with one of the best D.C. area bartenders - Todd Thrasher of Restaurant Eve/PX. I've probably had more great cocktails there over the past couple of years than anywhere else in the world.

Slate had an article related to the recent confusion of cocktail laws, focusing on the legaility of infusing liquors (i.e. adding pineapple slices to vodka, and letting it sit there for days)

http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/judgments/2010/03/01/booze-infusion-confusion

Vern

A

The Man is always trying to keep us down.

Thanks for the link to that other article, Ikitnrev.

Seems San Francisco is sort of an epicenter of the crackdown against infusions, at least in California. I was thinking the same thing as was speculated in the article - that these warnings are setting the stage for increased fines and enforcement. The contrived interpretation that a prohibition against "rectification" of liquor includes, e.g., infusing a piece of fruit - to "protect the public" - is a pretext to raise revenue for a cash-strapped state.

Another possibility is that this agency wants to show a lot of high-profile enforcement activity, in order to justify its budget, and shield itself from cuts or layoffs. Or, it may be simply the natural bureaucratic tendency toward "mission creep".

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-04-07 09:54 ]

Hmmmm... smells like dog crap infused in cheap vodka. What a load!

A

Now that's some GHETTO CHIC, MDM! :drink:

J

On 2010-04-07 08:54, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Another possibility is that this agency wants to show a lot of high-profile enforcement activity, in order to justify its budget, and shield itself from cuts or layoffs. Or, it may be simply the natural bureaucratic tendency toward "mission creep".

Bingo.

Or competitor bars have "reminded" (cough BRIBED!! cough) the inspectors to cause grief for these bars.

Either way, it's lame. In a country that allows cigarettes, it's absolutely ridiculous that they punish egg whites in a cocktail. Absolutely ridiculous...

Q

Completely ridiculous! All the more reason for less government instead of more. Just as an illustration of the insanity in California, some chuckleheads out here are trying to get a measure on the ballot to institute a $5 a bottle tax on wine so they can generate more revenue for the state. How desperate can you get?

On 2010-04-07 12:58, quickiki wrote:
... Just as an illustration of the insanity in California, some chuckleheads out here are trying to get a measure on the ballot to institute a $5 a bottle tax on wine so they can generate more revenue for the state. How desperate can you get?

They're calling it the Alcohol-Related Harm and Damage Services Act of 2010. And it's not just wine:

"The proposal would also impose additional taxes on beer and spirits, tacking nearly an additional $6 onto a six-pack of beer and an additional $17 onto a 750-milliliter bottle of distilled spirits."

Wow, talk about opportunity to make lots of money, smuggling liquor from out of state and selling it on the black market! But surely this is such an extreme overreach, that even if they get it on the ballot, it has no chance of voters' approval - right?

On 2010-04-09 08:25, Limbo Lizard wrote:
...But surely this is such an extreme overreach, that even if they get it on the ballot, it has no chance of voters' approval - right?

That is actually the plan. Sort of. At least in theory.

"We are going to raise the taxes 10 million percent!"

Public Uproar!

"Just kidding! We are only going to raise it 20 percent."

Public sigh of relief. "Only 20 percent...."

The process actually has name. Read down through the comments from the first article link and you'll see what I mean.

Newspaper story lead, from the near future:

"Alcoholic Beverage Control agents staged a dynamic-entry midnight raid on a California nursing home, after receiving a tip that several residents have been infusing white raisins with gin, allegedly as a folk remedy to alleviate their arthritis symptoms."

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-04-11 12:31 ]

I need some help from knowledgable folk and any help may be beneficial to cocktail lovers in the future.

As a few of you know, I now work as an attorney for the California Dept. of Alcoholic Beverage Control. After the kerfluffle regarding infused liquors recently, there has been movement to change the rules or laws regarding infusions to make certain types legal. I volunteered to help with this project and have been asked to look for examples from states other than California where infusions are legal. My search so far has not been productive. Do any of you know of any laws or regulations covering this subject from outside California? Any pointers would be most appreciated.

And now for some off-the-record and personal stuff. These comments are my thoughts and are not coming from the Department.

The press and reaction over the infusions in San Francisco were completely overblown. Yes, they are presently illegal and yes, some bartenders were told to get rid of infused liquors, BUT, no one was cited for it and the agents were present due to other, bigger issues regarding alcohol enforcement. Trust me on this as I've seen both sides.

As far as changing the rules, I, personally, would like to see infusions and homemade bitters for in-house use made legal. What won't happen is a bar being able to sell their own bitters for your home use. The big catch, and something I've put thought to, is where to draw the line regarding infusions and how to word it. I want to allow infusions, but realistically, I don't think the State will (or should) change the law to the extent that bars can make their own limoncello or gin, both of which are technically infusions.

The light at the end of the tunnel may not be a train. Again, any assistance as to non-California rules will be greatly appreciated.

Pages: 1 11 replies